Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Goddamn do I love this game. It's certainly not perfect, but drat if it didn't do so many things right.

And as much as I like doing no-kill runs, this game just offers so many ways to set up deathtraps, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

He isn't a trickster god, and the views of the Abbey are pretty hostile to everything that isn't a plain old human.

It's still spoilers to go deeper into it, but the Outsider and his impact on the world are some of the best parts of the game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poil posted:

The whaler song. Some people will whistle it and you can find the lyrics lying around in books occasionally but it's not actually in the game.

There's actually a book of lyrics on one of the bunks in the Pub.

Coolguye posted:

I generally ignore readables for a whole slew of reasons, but this was legitimately one that I had intended to include. So I will treat it much like the other fun readables that people shout out in this game: I'll transcribe it, and put it in the update post!

Though speaking of books in the pub, there's a poo poo ton just lying around. Most aren't all that interesting by themselves but they all start providing glances at Dunwall's culture. There's at least one about the Abbey's raid on Whitecliff. Pierro's workshop in particular has several books on whaling and just how hosed up that whole business is.

Whale Vivisection posted:

[Excerpt from the notes of a natural philosopher aboard a whaling ship]

Remarkably, each specimen I had the pleasure of studying during the voyage possessed some minor variance in physiology. On the second leg of the trip, east of Tyvia, the crew hauled aboard a female, some 42' in length. I estimate she weighed 35 tons and the ship sat low, rocking side to side through the night with her thrashing.

By candlelight, I took her apart, sketching and taking notes. Against her bellowing, I cut into the mass of tentacles around her mouth. Within I found row upon row of teeth and a baleen running along the upper jaw. Through this broom-like structure, I assumed she filtered food from the water that was too small to be chewed.

Whale Oil Processing posted:

[Excerpt from the founder of the Greaves Whale House - By Ebenezer Greaves]

Out at sea, they secure the beast with hooks, with lines cast from the main-ship and from several smaller boats. Buoys keep the whale from diving deep. Once it's caught, a larger hook is driven through the tail, which is used to hoist the creature up through the chute. They moan and bellow for some time as the men get them onto the deck, then heft them into the scaffolding overhead. The ship adjusts its prow and returns to port in Dunwall, where the crew works on the great creature, slicing off the fattiest parts while it still lives.

Dunwallians are dicks to whales.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 4, 2015

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The best part of all these maps is just how vertical and open they are. 99% of the time, if you see a ledge you can walk on it. Like those scaffolds above Granny Rags' home. You haven't truly taken care of her gentlemen callers until you've leaped off one of those and aerial assassinated the one knocking on the door.

Incidentally, that's one of the weirder uses of Blink. Finding out just where the devs hid the walls by how far your teleport can reach.

Edit: While I'm thinking of it, one of the cool things leading up to release was that one of the level designers posted in the games thread and answered whatever questions he could. Sadly that fell into the archives.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 9, 2015

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poil posted:

Weird, I remember the conversation with the sick overseer after the assassination being very different. Maybe it was a different place.

Possessing is really fun, it even works on fish. Who hasn't wanted to possess fish every once in a while?

It's one of those things that can change up depending on your chaos level. There are lots of things like that and it's not always just based on your chaos level.

I'm glad "secrets" get a little accompanying noise, but I was always a little disappointed they didn't do the Thief thing of having a louder noise and a little text pop-up.

Edit: Speaking of things I'm glad of, that Overseer's sermon thing is pretty great. Their world is a hosed up place full of very real horrors and the Abbey is, for all intents and purposes, an equally hosed up Inquisition. Only difference is that they are more like Radical Atheists who don't want anyone to believe in any sort of higher power, cause that's just asking for the Outsider to knock on your door.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2015

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The dlcs are arguably even better than the base game. The only one I'd say isn't a must have is the Dunwall Challenges, but even then those challenges are for the most part neat as heck and fun to run every now and then. They also make great practice for the campaign.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Problem with rat power is that it's really expensive mana wise. It's great for clearing out a few guards in an area, but you'll burn through a lot of potions doing it everywhere.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Corvo "Sticky Fingers" Attano is probably not the best man to leave the restructuring of an empire to.

Poil posted:

On my latest playthrough I wrapped up a few days ago I somehow got both the Ghost and Shade achievements. Possession is amazingly helpful. After choking a lady and leaving her on a basement floor, which apparently also had a pack of rats, I learned that it doesn't count as you murdering people if they die from environmental hazards so to speak. The box "didn't kill anyone" was still checked after it was over despite the contrary and mildly gruesome evidence.

It's kinda finicky. It'll sometimes tick over if someone you've laid down dies after sliding down a ramp. I think the game also spawns rats occasionally to clean up bodies. Only seen it a couple times, and I can't remember if they were dead or unconscious ones.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's really clunky exposition, especially in a game which to some extent trusts you to explore and make your own entertainment. You can find out about the brand from reading the book in the interrogation room (which you'll have stumbled upon organically in your quest for That drat Sokolov Painting) and by the objective marker. The conversation seems unnecessary.

The sad thing is that it was probably added cause most playtesters couldn't find that book, or the interrogation room. The devs talked about it in several interviews how they had to add stuff like that because players just would not explore or couldn't find particular objects without some extremely heavy hinting. One level later on, one of the best one in the game, has this problem acutely.

A surprising amount of stuff in this game was only added at the last minute, like the chaos system.

NGDBSS posted:

Fixed that for you. It's not like we haven't seen Coolguye playing like a ravenous drunken kleptomaniac before, after all.

Sadly Corvo has no feet. He must make do with his sick magic abilities, but every time he does the knowledge that he could be kicking people eats away at him a little more.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

double nine posted:

Just have the player work for the nonlethal options. It's kind of the whole point of the easy but evil vs difficult but good morality system they built the game on.

They didn't build the game on it though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A Darker Porpoise posted:

The LP got me started playing through this again on high chaos this time and well uh Dishonored a solid not at all glitchy game! :v:.

:eyepop: I dooooon't think she's just unconscious.

The ragdolls are one of the best parts of this game. It's part of why I hate the dead enemies turn to ash skill. You miss out on so much.

I've got a poo poo ton more but the lp hasn't reached those levels yet.

Oh yeah and this. Still not sure how I managed it.

Poil posted:

You can definitely get higher on the bridge than that. But not to the very top I think. Just pretty close on the beams.

Yeah, there is a set height you can get to. There are some hacks for disabling the range limit on the blink, but even then you can't get all the way up.

Ablative posted:

I have a confession. I uh... I really liked this level the first time i played it.

IIRC this was one of two levels that got talked about the most in previews and developer interviews. There was a decent chance for over-exposure if you followed those even the slightest bit.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poil posted:

That's really common and it's like almost every single person is dead set on there only being a few predetermined forms of government with no variations as if playing older Civilization games where you pick one from a list. As long as it could reasonably be expected to work there is no reason why it couldn't be used. It does need to be a bit more functional than Simon Says however.

One would expect there to much variation when each civ is controlled by an immortal dictator anyways. Plus Civ games tend more towards modern representations of poo poo.

You want paradox games if want a model of various older government types.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

double nine posted:

Needless to say quite a few idiots found it too unrealistic to have a female pirate captain with kids.

Some people don't like reading history books. Also its the internet. poo poo that happens a state over will have doubters.

MooCowlian posted:

It's just not practical.

Ignoring the easy answer of wet nurses to take care of all that poo poo, pirates weren't exactly fighting and raiding every single second of their lives. There's plenty of down time in which a child could be handled.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zomborgon posted:

So how about that killing things or hugging them, right?

Dishonored 2 will include the much needed spiked bracer upgrade, allowing you to do both at once. No longer will you be torn by indecision.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

JT Jag posted:

Do the Tallboys count, because he probably designed those

They're more like powered armor than giant robots. A step in the right direction though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Generally, yeah. Sometimes you get detected though and there isn't really an outward indication you have. Most notable point with this is the very first mission. Avoiding notice by the guards on the wall after setting off the bomb is kind of a crap shoot, even if they don't start firing at you.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's pretty obvious that the Life of the Party level from Thief 2 was a major influence on this area. There's so much room to explore and maneuver in, it's just the best. Being able to waltz around in full view of the guards without them attacking you is fun in and of itself.

Sadly this level is kind of a pain to ghost, if only cause of that asshat that Pendleton wants you to duel.

Orv posted:

Regrettably I have already made a "LP dead on account of X" joke but uh, XCOM, real good you guys.

I like how of the people I know currently playing it, RoboKy is the only actual australian.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's generally not that hard. Baldurk asks you a few questions about what parts you want archived, and then you're set.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Torlon posted:

Interesting... the month of harvest is after the month of darkness, month of high cold, and month of ice.

Unless you go up instead of down which is weird.

This is what you get when your world is orbiting a black hole. poo poo gets weird.

Drakyn posted:

Pandyssia is an Australian version of Pangaea

ftfy.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bootcha posted:

Much like Austin, Dunwall lacks a mass-transportation solution

I think the corpse wagons make mighty fine mass transportation systems. Just ask that one guy and his dead buddy. :v:

TheDarkFlame posted:

Yeah the notes and journals do mention the Whalers a few times. I don't know when they first get introduced as that, rather than just mysterious black masks. It's meant to be a disguise as well, I think? So to the average person, they're just hosed-up sailors who reek of death and highly-explosive fuel and carry a ludicrous amount of weaponry.

The masks are actually for the processing plants, not the sailors that capture the whales. Uh, spoilers for the dlc I guess, the first level of the knife of dunwall is one such plant. You can see several guys wandering with a variation on the mask, implying this is an older model. There's also a note that I can't recall the name off hand that states that no everyone totally recognizes the Whalers as a gang of freaks that will murder you. Mostly cause they ain't in the factories where they belong.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Neat little thing, but anyone marked by the Outsider doesn't care about bend time. Some don't even have to be marked, just have to have been taught, like the royal interrogator.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Speedball posted:

I think there's some document in the game that says that one of Daud's powers is the ability to lend some of his power to others, hence all the teleporting minions. But none of them are quite as powerful as he is, so, they aren't immune to time stop.

And he's got at least one power we don't, the Tether ability that freezes someone in place (they used it on us during the Empress's assassination)

Yeah, Daud is the source for the Whalers, just like the Outsider is the source for him and Corvo. It's kinda hard to talk about the full extent of his powers right now though.

Stormgale posted:

Daud is so interesting, as opposed even Corvo he really seems to be in it for the art of it all.

Hence why he's the subject of the dlc campaigns.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

If a krust won't open up, just poke it with an explosive of some sort. Grenades and explosive darts are basically the easiest way to take out clusters with minimal effort.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheLastRoboKy posted:

(Also if you are wondering yes, I am aware of the Dawn of War III announce trailer)

Now we just need a Necromunda game for this year to be complete.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zomborgon posted:

I just found out that Mercer Frey from the Skyrim Thieves' Guild is loving Garrett. Holy poo poo, everyone loves their Thief references.
I was momentarily outraged that Corvo would get a voice, but in that light it's going to be wondrous.

To be fair, he was like a sixth of the characters in Skyrim.

Lunethex posted:

Stephen Russell (Thief, Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) as Corvo Attano

Is this what it's like to have a nerdgasm? First DoW3, then this. Only thing that could make me break down more would be freespace 3.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There's a lot to be said for hair in a character design. It lends itself to a character's personality and background just from how styled or messy it is.

It's a bit blurry, but this shot shows her new look a bit better. She is slender, but she also has a lot of Corvo's look about her. Mainly his wide shoulders, large forearms, and thinner waist.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MooCowlian posted:

So I've got until november to get a computer that can run 2015/16 games. Right.

If it's anything like dishonored 1 the game will run kust fine on lower/mid range comps.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SgtSteel91 posted:

Or you can choke your doppelganger and knockout multiple people at one.

That might make Low Chaos (is there going to be a chaos system again?) runs really fun/easy

Think a retooled one has been said to be in the works. Hopefully it has more time and money dedicated to it if so.

Delacroix posted:

If you can't use that to possess multiple guards and/or cause them to vomit in sync, it will be a sad state of affairs. :colbert:

Possession isn't exclusive to Corvo, I hope!

Possession, windblast, and rat swarm are exclusive to him, unless something changes.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cage is nothing if not laudable for not giving up on making overly melodramatic games in the face of reviews and general sales figures.

CirclMastr posted:

As much as I like mocking Quantic Dream (and rightfully so), I'm super conflicted since their next game, Detroit: Become Human, stars my sister.

Here's hoping this one ends up being the stand-out title from the rest.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Slightly sad they didn't go with the high chaos ending as canon but hey, more dishonored is more dishonored.

As for Corvo's new duds, I like 'em. Actually looks like an assassin's garb instead of the outcast nobleman thing we got going on here.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

First video suggestion, Everything Wrong With The Punisher.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Guy voiced like half the characters in the TTLG games. He's got a range.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Granny Rags was definitely marked by the Outsider. And just like with Daud and his Whalers, it's possible for her to teach others like the Royal Interrogator how to use the Outsider's powers.

Fathis Munk posted:

Doesn't she always talk about someone taking her to balls though? In my mind that was always about the outsider.

I might be mixing stuff up, it's been a while.

Granny Rags was an aristocrat before she got all creepy and super-powered. All those mumbling are about her past and the life she used to lead.

"The Journal of Granny Rags" posted:

[Excerpt from the ramblings of a street denizen]

Of course I’ll tell you, dearie. I won’t keep any secrets from you in the end. All the dreary days of my life are like the windows of a house. From the kitchen, I can see out into the garden where the leaves and stalks are brown and bug-eaten. You can see a little lump of dirt where something was wrapped in a blanket and laid to rest along the rows of twisting vines.

The front room looks out into the street, where the neighbors are all setting fire to their homes, barricading themselves inside. Warm and snug, dearie.

Don’t forget about the bedroom, either. It sees into a dreary alley, where hooligans are playing a game with an old man. The first two are hitting him with sticks and the girl with them is kicking at his dry, old ribs. Oh, to have those bones, to boil them in a pot.

No one lives in my house anymore dearie. No one you’d want to meet.

When I lived there with my husband, we were fine, fine people. Vera Moray, everyone would say, your house is as grand as Boyle Manor. Better even. Your dinners are lavish and your parties are the best.

When that young Sokolov came to paint my portrait I was nearly still in my prime. Radiant, he said, and he was just barely a man, so young, painting all the best people across the land. Everyone wanted a portrait by his hand, all my friends. I was the only one, dearie, wet with his paint, glistening on the canvas for a pretty coin.

But it wasn’t all parties and paintings. My husband and I weren’t always at home, no. We traveled together, he and I, to the far ends of the Isles. Beyond even, all the way to the red cliffs of Pandyssia, to dig in the rock and crawl through the caves, holding up candles and squinting at the walls. Many precious things we came upon, but none so precious as the boy with the black eyes, dearie. All those marks and bones, carved so deep and polished so bright.

I brought the old bones home. Hid them from my dear husband. Then I learned to boil them and carve them myself. They made such good presents, dearie. The little mute boy took them home. He loved them so. All the time he came back with new bones for me, holding them up so I could see it in his eyes, even though his tongue was still. Granny, his eyes would say to me, carve these bones for me. Make me another present. And he went so far, so far, all the way to Dunwall Tower, the Royal Headsman himself now. My little mute boy and his shiny, shiny sword.

Better bones were what I needed, you see. Better bones to carve and polish, scrape and gleam. My dear old husband was always tired. I made him soup and then he was sick. Better bones, was all. For my little mute boy, carved in the name of the one with the black eyes. And after my husband was gone, given away as birthday gifts, I didn’t want to live there any more.

So now I’m old and don’t have many to give my presents to. It’s sifting through the garbage for Granny Rags, and feeding the little birdies that gather at my feet. No one wants to have tea, dearie. Especially those rude louts on Bottle Street. Slackjaw and his boys, always meddling with an old woman just trying to make her way.

In the end we’ll be together with him. You and me in the dreary night with the stars above and below. And always the one with the black eyes, dearie.

Fun Fact: That book is only available if you pre-ordered the game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Llab posted:

Do you mean in-game? It also shows up for GOTY owners. That, and a billion charms I never use. Slackjaw's rise was also good.

It was pre-order dlc only before. Didn't know what all the goty edition included.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Emily's powers seem cool enough I think I'll play as her first cause goddamn, that's a neat looking set of skills.

I'm basically gonna be going back and forth on who I want to play as up until hitting the new game button. Even then I'll probably play two campaigns simultaneously for maximum nerdiness.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fish Noise posted:

Even so, the fact remains: Billie Lurk is a cool girl who would never, ever mock you.

She learned from the best.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Dishonored sgdq speedrun will start in a bit after the bioshock one ends, for the people that aren't gluing their eyes to the schedule.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's based on the sidequests you do, with chaos only influencing the events that happen. It's surprisingly easy to miss the quest if you gently caress up a step in the quests somewhere.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bonfires is the only one to ever make me actually frustrated. It's just so easy to get turned around and gently caress up a blink or break your knees one too many times.

Train Runner is always amazingly funny to me, because apparently it is, or at least was last time I checked, that hopping on the train itself was some huge secret that few people thought about doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pretty sure every single human in the setting that expresses magical powers has been touched by the outsider, either directly through his mark or through being taught by someone bearing said mark. There aren't any exceptions, at least as far as we know.

• Locked thread