Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

Goddamn do I love this game. It's certainly not perfect, but drat if it didn't do so many things right.
This so much. It's the heir to Thief and Deus Ex that their series haven't provided (ok, HR came close). This game is just so much fun. It's like someone in the dev team finally woke up and realized yes, half the fun of stealth games is messing with the guards so let's empower the player to do just that while keeping the tools and levels open enough for everyone to find their own playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the way the interludes help flesh out the world: between the Heart, the letters, diaries and recordings you can find, you get a pretty divers amount of points of view on how living in Dunwall is. The worldbuilding in this game is top-notch; too bad the lovely story and unpolished dialogue (Outsider being one of the worst offenders here, he's the most boring evil god ever) drags it down.
Not to mention there's quite a bunch of stashes and hidden goodies around the pub. I don't bother with it on replays, but it was extremely enjoyable and very reminiscent of Deus Ex the first time through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was more referring to the fact he's basically considered to be Satan by authorities but honestly, his long-winded boringness is even worse when it's supposed to be a trickster god.
There's also the fact that he (and the heart) have some kind of connection with whales, something I dearly hoped would be a center point of the story and turned out to be a background detail and thus probably the most disappoinitng bit of the game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In that case I'm looking forward to see what I missed in my 5+ playthroughs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is utterly loving amazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
High chaos gets you a much more interesting final level, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly argue it feels more like a living city than anything in Tamriel because you get actual scripted dialogue as opposed to repeated nonsense about mudcrabs and arrows, not to mention real level design with multiple access ways as opposed to "choose the front or back door". It's very difficult to make open-world games immersive, with smaller levels you can give more attention to the critical details.

edit: Admittedly, there is quite a bit of stock dialogue in Dishonored ("Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?"), but at the speed you can progress through the levels it doesn't really have the time to become grating.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there are two semi-random codes but they are both mission objectives.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also gotta make sure there are no rats around. Fuckers are fast.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention the best character in the game. Not that much of an achievement but still. Oh, and they actually got a pretty famous actress to voice her.
edit: Actually there's a lot of screen actors as opposed to VA in the cast. Interesting.

Oh, and one more thing: the detection system is really good. The slow detection on the corpsedumping guy is caused by the fact they only have their face turned towards you half the time - when they lift the bodies.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 7, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Llab posted:

This is honestly the best approach to playing Dishonored for the first time. I think Dishonored broke my habit of savescumming in most games, cause it was just not fun having to restart over and over.
It actually works even for experienced players - Dishonored Iron Man mode is great: you basically almost always have options since the game is pretty easy, but the tension is there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Your target in The Flooded District. The Outsider's reaction is also somewhat amusing.
It's especially interesting considering that this particular target surviving is canon. The Outsider is generally up for a couple surprises with Corvo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Improved Time Stop is crazy fun. But no, you can't upgrade everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if only his voice and mannerisms didn't put you to sleep all the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

By the end of the LP there'll be no one left to charge me for war crimes :unsmigghh:
Thou shall sit before a tribunal of rats and hear them proclaim you their hero with squeaky voices.

edit: Also Overseer Bartholomew is a misunderstood genius and a worthy successor to that one guy from Thief 2 who built rockets.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 16, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

Oh, man, remind me to tell you a great Springrazor trick if we don't see it in our first sadism run. Hint: Bend time stops projectiles
And just the fact someone thought of this and coded it in proves there were some deliciously twisted minds at work designing this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

I saw some mudcrabs by the water recently. I steered clear of them.
I used to be a guard, then I took a bolt into the knee. Next thing I know, I'm on fire, screaming and ending up as a well-done meal for rats.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I got Ghost and Clean(er) Hands in one playthrough, but I'm really tempted to do a Mostly Flesh And Steel one now. Thanks a lot, thread.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ideally the one from Syphon Filter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I never knew about the bolt/springrazor trick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Personally I kinda like the low chaos scene with the three overseers on your way back from dealing with the high one. Another detail that really helps with the atmosphere is in the sewers when you escape the prison and run into the recently lived in area with dead people. In a corner you find the bodies of a man and a woman with a mattress, cooking tools and things that makes it clear they've been living there a short time. And Damien's Journal.
The worst part? The corpses are locked in an embrace.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wish Corvo had access to Sareth's Mighty Foot. One of the powers sort of works that way but there's not enough physics fuckery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The writing and story in this game are generally pretty bad. Everything else is awesome though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Someone oughtta gif that and put it with Safety Dance.

Anyhow, I never figured the whole "Galvani = the BRatman" connection but it kind of does make sense from Slackjaw's point of view... Which makes it even funnier.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 13, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ablative posted:

Those loving assassins are the reason I've never managed to Ghost the Golden Cat mission.

gently caress those guys.
Fairly sure you can avoid them completely.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All those dead prostitutes and not a single Corvo the Ripper joke?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Narrative level design is severely underrated in video games. The High Overseer's sex dungeon and the drab dormitories of the Golden Cat showcase that we don't always have to be told everything through exposition. We can as players understand these things ourselves.
Yeah, I was really hoping this would catch on more after the wild success of Dark Souls but apparently most devs still think players too stupid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ArcMage posted:

Man I could swear the actual game materials suggested strapping a springrazor to a rat as a fun party trick, but perhaps not.
You can do it in the DLC with a similar type of weapon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A Darker Porpoise posted:

I just started re-watching the Dark Messiah lp last week and It's just the occasional instance of edgy banter(at least I don't recall any actual rape jokes being cracked) like in the first episode "That ghoul is like loving raping the poo poo out of him" "Then that dude just loving rapes that ghoul" I just shrug and chock it up to being in the dark ages of 2011.
It's got All-Bones-Jones. I'm more than willing to forgive a couple rape jokes for that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I played through this thing five plus times and never knew it had a killcam

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, you folks could learn a few things yourself, LIKE THE GODDAMN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HAND OF NOD AND AN OBELISK :spergin:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 16, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a pirate like that who was pretty much the terror of Southern China and even ended up peacefully retiring because no one dared gently caress with her?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really? The guards generally yell and/or fire when they spot you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

Generally, yeah. Sometimes you get detected though and there isn't really an outward indication you have. Most notable point with this is the very first mission. Avoiding notice by the guards on the wall after setting off the bomb is kind of a crap shoot, even if they don't start firing at you.
Which is why the prologue doesn't count for the ghost and shadow achievements. I honestly don't remember having much trouble doing a no kill no spot run.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is the best level in the game. Masque of the Red Death, and you're the reaper.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, when the game mentioned the little rivalry between Sokolov and Piero, I simply it'd be one of those cliche "old rivals being forced to work together for the better good" threads. I was not expecting straight up offshoots of Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Although, now I am curious if Piero has an earthquake machine off-screen that's about to fail. :ohdear:
Eh, I wouldn't pin Sokolov as just an Edison stand-in. There's some Da Vinci and some Rasputin in there too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

It's pretty obvious that the Life of the Party level from Thief 2 was a major influence on this area. There's so much room to explore and maneuver in, it's just the best. Being able to waltz around in full view of the guards without them attacking you is fun in and of itself.
No shame in being inspired by the best Thief level ever. Just a shame there's no reference to the guy doíng steampunk rocketry experiments.

Poil posted:

I dueled him just fine in my ghost run. Maybe non-hostiles don't count against it and he has a special setting so he doesn't either, or something.
Yeah, it works. It doesn't start an alert and he's considered a key target.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

If you drop her too close to the swarm of rats in the basement it doesn't count against clean hands. But maybe killing the target never does.
No, you definitely need to handle the targets in non-lethal ways to get Clean Hands. The ways around it mentioned here seem more like bugs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

That happened in my last playthrough but I'm not sure how. He was just suddenly lying dead on the floor. :iiam:
Walls of light. The guards taking him away will go through a couple and if you hacked any, well, it's fried regent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chaeden posted:

Well we DO still have people in the south that believe they won the civil war..... somehow. Honestly I'd imagine that's one of the bigger divides in the country between the sides of the civil war. Because if you get deep enough south you start running into people that alter their history and science books to be 'correct' and shoot anybody that says otherwise.
Sounds like Russia on a good day.

• Locked thread