Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And yet Person of Interest has basically been cancelled.

There is no justice in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HookShot posted:

I haven't caught up with it but the ending of S3 of Person of Interest had stuff go really weird. Like I won't say the show was better when it was just "let's get a number and stop a murder", but it was more interesting when it was just Having a benevolent God become active and independent, rather than having an evil corporation make Evil God because reasons. I even would've liked it if the evil corporation was just out for profit and accidentally created Evil God, instead of just being doomsday cultists

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

computer parts posted:

I haven't caught up with it but the ending of S3 of Person of Interest had stuff go really weird. Like I won't say the show was better when it was just "let's get a number and stop a murder", but it was more interesting when it was just Having a benevolent God become active and independent, rather than having an evil corporation make Evil God because reasons. I even would've liked it if the evil corporation was just out for profit and accidentally created Evil God, instead of just being doomsday cultists

It has gone really weird, but in a really good way I think. Unfortunately because CBS is the network of boring procedurals a lot of people just assume it's that kind of show, and while it started off that way ho boy did it veer off that path.

S4 is really amazing in every way.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
So I've been binging this show on netflix and as of episode 18 I guess they've finally decided to do something with the spy fiancee plot after like 16 episodes of treading water and me skipping every scene with Liz and Tom.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

The reason why its basically been cancelled is because its produced by WB and broadcast on CBS. If CBS was producing it there wouldn't be nearly as much trouble as there currently is.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

'Did you even go to the academy?'

Classic Tom.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Pretty exciting episode to start it back up. Donald finally came around, took him goddamn long enough. I wish Reddington were my grandpa and he could just tell me stories

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tony Plana, the dude who was the Venezuelan politician in this episide, also played the warden, "El Fuego", in Steven Seagal's Half Past Dead movie. I've seen him in a whole lot of other stuff, too. Pretty good actor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It also just occurred to me that Andrew Divoff plays Karakurt.

Some may remember him from the Wishmaster movies.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gonz posted:

It also just occurred to me that Andrew Divoff plays Karakurt.

Some may remember him from the Wishmaster movies.

He'll always be one-eyed Mikhail from Lost to me.

One-eyed, unkillable Mikhail.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Only Reddington would have a late night meeting at an open grave to thank someone, talk about gratitude and how good he feels.

buddhanc posted:

Pretty exciting episode to start it back up. Donald finally came around, took him goddamn long enough. I wish Reddington were my grandpa and he could just tell me stories

I loved how matter-of-fact Red was about having storage lockers in almost every state that contain a huge stash of cocaine, aging chuleton de buey steaks, and whatever else works for the plot and narrative. "I'm sure you're aware of Picasso's stolen Le pigeon aux petits pois painting...I have it hanging up in what looks like an abandoned double-wide trailer in Louisiana near a roadside barbecue joint that serves spectacular pulled pork. The waitress Jane is also spectacular if you can look past the golf ball sized mole on her neck ..."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

God drat what an episode. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through. I was sorta hoping Tom would be like, "You don't have to shoot him, because I will." considering he's willing to kill a semi-famous, nice, and sorta innocent dude. The cabal muscle shouldn't mean poo poo to him.

Nice of the show to re-acknowledge that we're still in the dark about why Keene matters so much. Maybe they'll be nice and not hold out for the final episode to reveal the most annoyingly secretive fact of the series.

Binary Logic posted:

I loved how matter-of-fact Red was about having storage lockers in almost every state that contain a huge stash of cocaine, aging chuleton de buey steaks, and whatever else works for the plot and narrative. "I'm sure you're aware of Picasso's stolen Le pigeon aux petits pois painting...I have it hanging up in what looks like an abandoned double-wide trailer in Louisiana near a roadside barbecue joint that serves spectacular pulled pork. The waitress Jane is also spectacular if you can look past the golf ball sized mole on her neck ..."

Yeah it's weird just how completely original and believable the idea is that Red has "a perfect memory" and that's why he is the way he is. And yet he has to revisit a grave site to "remind himself how it might have felt" to lose another person. Yeesh.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 8, 2016

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loved having Red back in my life.

His storage locker is a prefect fit for him. I hope he comes back and cooks that meat and does a whole dinner when Liz is finally free.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I enjoyed him needing THREE stashes of artisan contraband to make life in a red state bearable. Is this show good now or am I getting dumber?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Theshby posted:

I enjoyed him needing THREE stashes of artisan contraband to make life in a red state bearable. Is this show good now or am I getting dumber?

Liz barely spoke, tom was being tom, donald finally grew a sack, and James spader was being perfect as reddington as usual. That combo is good for this show.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'd forgotten how much I'd missed Spader hamming it up, until I looked at my DVR and saw there was a new episode last night.

That was a good episode and I do hope they finally tell us what the link between Red and Liz is by the end of this season, but who knows.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ShakeZula posted:

Agreed.

I wonder if they're going to use that FBI lady's dying words to pull an LA Confidential and clue Ressler in on Boss Lady being evil.

Well done sir. :golfclap:

Almost every episode of this show has me thinking 'gently caress it, I can't watch this anymore' several times. But then I weigh it against all the scenery chewing Spader does, and I'm back next week.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm always down for more Red, Dembe, and Tom.

And Red's trusty old guy who provides security with the ponytail. That dude is badass. He doesn't give a poo poo if it's a foreign diplomat or business man or whatever, he's gonna shove his pistol into your back.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

richardfun posted:

Well done sir. :golfclap:

Almost every episode of this show has me thinking 'gently caress it, I can't watch this anymore' several times. But then I weigh it against all the scenery chewing Spader does, and I'm back next week.

Ha, called it :smug:

This was a good episode, continuing the trend of this season being good in general. I wonder if they're going to transition to a new main villain, what with the two main Cabal members seemingly having been beaten and next week's episode being titled The Director: Conclusion.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It will turn out that The Cabal was merely the front for the true globe-dominating evil organization: Samaritan.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK... here's a thread title: The Blacklist S3: Everybody Loves Apples.

If anyone ever asks what a Batman Gambit is, I'll point to this story arc, and specifically to this episode. So much implausible stuff happened, but it works because of two reasons: 1) the writers have done a good job demonstrating just how well-connected Reddington is, and what an evil genius so connected and so inclined is capable of; and 2) the pure cool factor in everything from the lines to the special effect shot where you see the bullet whiz by but miss Special Agent Goodguyman just makes you root for the insanely intricate plot to continue to shamble-run along, like a giant ball of zombies running after a crowd of the kinds of people in zombie movies that always die first. (And I mean 2004's Dawn of the Dead zombies, of course.)

Who was that assassin who nearly did the job? Hasn't that actor been the bad guy in, like, a ton of poo poo? He reminded me vaguely of one of the kidnappers in The Golden Child.

The very ending scene of the episode is one of the best TV moments in recent memory. I actually didn't see it coming.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

tarlibone posted:

The very ending scene of the episode is one of the best TV moments in recent memory. I actually didn't see it coming.

What scene are you talking about? Did I miss something besides the embrace at the end between Keen and Reddington? My recording might have cut off.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

buddhanc posted:

What scene are you talking about? Did I miss something besides the embrace at the end between Keen and Reddington? My recording might have cut off.

I'm talking about a scene where a high-level American government official drops in on a foreign family whose father, beset on both sides by teenagers who are more interested in their phones than what's on TV, is trying to get his kids interested in current events.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And then they make sure to point out that the man on the TV is the same man that just fell into their living room because good God does this show spell poo poo out for the audience so much it's ridiculous

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

And then they make sure to point out that the man on the TV is the same man that just fell into their living room because good God does this show spell poo poo out for the audience so much it's ridiculous

Actually, that moment wasn't for the benefit of viewers who might not know who their house guest was. I say this because there is no doubt to anyone who watched the show who it was who dropped in.

I think it was just a funny moment where the kids realize that their old man wasn't so wrong after all. Just a little dark humor. "Wow, maybe we should pay attention," the kids think.

The thing that surprised me about that scene was that while Red told the guy that he would very easily become a liability who the Cabal would have to deal with, toward the end, it really felt to me like he was going to drop the guy off somewhere where the Cabal people could do their own dirty work. Maybe in the jungles of Venezuela, for instance. But, no. Red pulled the ol' Involuntary Poorly Aimed Santa Claus route instead.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Today we have established that David Strathairn cannot fly.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The dinner drop-in was great.
The opening scene, gathering the troops and telling his bridge story was amazeballs.. "...let me play the hand and Cooper, you're the dummy".

buddhanc posted:

I really hoped she would say something like, "Thank you dad" just to see his reaction. But OTOH Reddington doesn't react like a normal human being so he still wouldn't give anything away.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would literally watch that dude read a vegan cook book.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

tarlibone posted:

I'm talking about a scene where a high-level American government official drops in on a foreign family whose father, beset on both sides by teenagers who are more interested in their phones than what's on TV, is trying to get his kids interested in current events.

The person reading the news on the tv in that scene was speaking proper Dutch, more or less. But that family (impressive that they imported the wardrobe and the house itself from the 19th century by the way) spoke Dutch the way a German might after a few weeks of lessons.

It's always the same thing with Dutch people/locations on tv and in movies. Come on, Carice van Houten and Michiel Huisman can't be the only two Dutch people walking around in Hollywood, can they?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm eating Stroopwafels in honour of this episode.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

I'm eating Stroopwafels in honour of this episode.

You even capitalized our delicacy.

:golfclap:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

The dinner drop-in was great.
The opening scene, gathering the troops and telling his bridge story was amazeballs.. "...let me play the hand and Cooper, you're the dummy".

I really hoped she would say something like, "Thank you dad" just to see his reaction. But OTOH Reddington doesn't react like a normal human being so he still wouldn't give anything away.

Yeah I thought I might have missed a hint like that at the end. But the director obviously knew and he couldn't have been the only other person in the world who knew.

I imagine that will be the focal point of the next season.

E- I'm dumb. This wasn't a finale. It's probably good that it felt like one though, lots of fun.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 15, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

As I recall, in the first season finale she was talking to him on the phone and straight-up asked "Are you my father?" and he said no. So at the very least the thought occurred to her quickly, but at this point if she still believes that then she knows he'll tell her when he's ready and not before.

From his earlier monologue about that girl they saved, the impression I got was that he was taking care of Liz not because of a familial connection but a connection born of guilt and honor. If he's not her father, then I'm betting he's the guy who killed her parents.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ShakeZula posted:

If he's not her father, then I'm betting he's the guy who killed her parents.

I'm willing to guess that it's a touch more complicated than that. I think Reddington was Liz's mother's *handler*, after she'd decided to become a double agent to potentially give her daughter a shot at being something other than 'just an asset' like her, and he hosed up, somehow blew her cover, and ended up getting her killed in the process of trying to bring her in, which is why he's so 'tied' to Lizzy. I think they're delaying this revelation because it'll be seen as a pretty direct rip-off of the current plot of "The Americans."

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I want a spin off of Reddington and dembe's adventures prior to working with the fbi.

Easy title IMO: concierge of crime.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

As I recall, in the first season finale she was talking to him on the phone and straight-up asked "Are you my father?" and he said no. So at the very least the thought occurred to her quickly, but at this point if she still believes that then she knows he'll tell her when he's ready and not before.

From his earlier monologue about that girl they saved, the impression I got was that he was taking care of Liz not because of a familial connection but a connection born of guilt and honor. If he's not her father, then I'm betting he's the guy who killed her parents.

Right, thanks for the reminder. Another question I have: at the start of the episode Red says "It's time to take down the Cabal". (And in the past, the Director was said to be the one in control of the Cabal). But it concludes with Red joining the Cabal, not taking it down. And the Director wasn't really in charge since Christine Lahti's character seemed to have more power than (or at least equal to) him.

And one more question: what's going to happen with Aram? He's out of a job, not really cut out for Red's capers, and is going to have to buy a new smartphone now, poor guy.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Right, thanks for the reminder. Another question I have: at the start of the episode Red says "It's time to take down the Cabal". (And in the past, the Director was said to be the one in control of the Cabal). But it concludes with Red joining the Cabal, not taking it down. And the Director wasn't really in charge since Christine Lahti's character seemed to have more power than (or at least equal to) him.

And one more question: what's going to happen with Aram? He's out of a job, not really cut out for Red's capers, and is going to have to buy a new smartphone now, poor guy.

The Director was never in charge of the Cabal, he was just the highest-ranking member we knew about. Remember, that henchman guy who tortured Dembe was working for other members that either outranked or could otherwise remove the Director. I imagine the Cabal leadership is more of a council of peers than anything.

And why would Aram be out of a job? You don't think, with everyone exonerated of pretty much everything, that Cooper would hire him back?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I love the fact the FBI hasn't figured out they basically work for Red at this point as part of his criminal network.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

The Director was never in charge of the Cabal, he was just the highest-ranking member we knew about.
Okay I suppose The Executive Producer would outrank The Director. And The Showrunner would too if the Cabal has that position.

ShakeZula posted:

Remember, that henchman guy who tortured Dembe was working for other members that either outranked or could otherwise remove the Director. I imagine the Cabal leadership is more of a council of peers than anything.

And why would Aram be out of a job? You don't think, with everyone exonerated of pretty much everything, that Cooper would hire him back?
Is everyone exonerated of everything? Keen isn't back at the FBI. Is Samar back to whatever position she held before? The classic top secret "Mossad Exchange Program", I guess. Reading the Making A Murderer thread, I realize the FBI is full of incompetents liars and evidence fakers but the organization must have some standards LOL.
I'm fine with a reset and everyone going back to where they were but I guess it was done really quickly on the show. No internal investigations or changes in protocols..."okay everyone let's get back to work".

sbaldrick posted:

I love the fact the FBI hasn't figured out they basically work for Red at this point as part of his criminal network.
Yeah we all know this but you either accept the show's premise or...don't.

It's the same tv trope that allows for The Mentalist, Elementary, Castle etc to continue to "work with" the legit investigators while mocking them and using them for their own purposes.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ShakeZula posted:

In a normal world, he'd be in holding for pulling a gun on the DCI and National Security Advisor with shaky yet lethal intent. Losing his job would be the least of his worries.

• Locked thread