Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Really good return episode.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or...

"Hey, if she's a Russian agent maybe we should have the Russian Embassy covered."

It doesn't matter, the point of the story was to get her to ask for diplomatic immunity in the embassy. The "she's a Russian agent terrorist" angle was invented by Ressler (I think). If the show's writers had the feds think about her going to the Russian embassy Reddington would have anticipated that and had some sewer tunnels or underground secret passage prepared for that contingency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes Ressler blocking the car and then having a conversation of exposition about why he couldn't just hold them or shoot was over the top.

But the classic 'hostages in a diner' scenario, Reddington style was really well done. He's such a well-mannered and considerate sociopath.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sbaldrick posted:

May favorite part is nothing happened to Resseler despite doing something that was cause the DEFCon level to move.

I also enjoy this show more when they remember Red is master criminal and spent years as the most wanted man in the world.

Also I was show the waitress had turn Keene in till the last moment.

Ressler put a lot of faith in the Russians to not shoot him while he was pointing a gun at them!

Favourite scene this latest episode: Clark Middleton goes into restaurant, gets the maitre d' or waiter to go into kitchen, steals the security video somehow...and while running out scoops up a bunch of mints from a bowl with some of them bouncing on the floor behind him.

2nd favourite was the turning of Keene into a reluctant serial killer. And not just randoms - an attorney general and a cop.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 16, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thought he said 555 4123. But who cares, that helicopter escape was fantastic and Tom is getting into the 'fugitives on the run solving crimes for the FBI' mix.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The earliest "call your shot" that I can remember was the classic Billy Jack scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVX-voqWuwY

It's come a long way since then.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

I just don't loving understand Ressler's actions when literally every single person except the people everyone knows are bad guys knows she's innocent

Keen shot and killed Attorney General and Cabal member Connolly. She also shot a cop.

She may have her reasons, might even arguably be justified for murdering Connolly, but Elizabeth is far from innocent.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 22, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Only Reddington would have a late night meeting at an open grave to thank someone, talk about gratitude and how good he feels.

buddhanc posted:

Pretty exciting episode to start it back up. Donald finally came around, took him goddamn long enough. I wish Reddington were my grandpa and he could just tell me stories

I loved how matter-of-fact Red was about having storage lockers in almost every state that contain a huge stash of cocaine, aging chuleton de buey steaks, and whatever else works for the plot and narrative. "I'm sure you're aware of Picasso's stolen Le pigeon aux petits pois painting...I have it hanging up in what looks like an abandoned double-wide trailer in Louisiana near a roadside barbecue joint that serves spectacular pulled pork. The waitress Jane is also spectacular if you can look past the golf ball sized mole on her neck ..."

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It will turn out that The Cabal was merely the front for the true globe-dominating evil organization: Samaritan.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The dinner drop-in was great.
The opening scene, gathering the troops and telling his bridge story was amazeballs.. "...let me play the hand and Cooper, you're the dummy".

buddhanc posted:

What scene are you talking about? Did I miss something besides the embrace at the end between Keen and Reddington? My recording might have cut off.
I really hoped she would say something like, "Thank you dad" just to see his reaction. But OTOH Reddington doesn't react like a normal human being so he still wouldn't give anything away.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

As I recall, in the first season finale she was talking to him on the phone and straight-up asked "Are you my father?" and he said no. So at the very least the thought occurred to her quickly, but at this point if she still believes that then she knows he'll tell her when he's ready and not before.

From his earlier monologue about that girl they saved, the impression I got was that he was taking care of Liz not because of a familial connection but a connection born of guilt and honor. If he's not her father, then I'm betting he's the guy who killed her parents.

Right, thanks for the reminder. Another question I have: at the start of the episode Red says "It's time to take down the Cabal". (And in the past, the Director was said to be the one in control of the Cabal). But it concludes with Red joining the Cabal, not taking it down. And the Director wasn't really in charge since Christine Lahti's character seemed to have more power than (or at least equal to) him.

And one more question: what's going to happen with Aram? He's out of a job, not really cut out for Red's capers, and is going to have to buy a new smartphone now, poor guy.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

The Director was never in charge of the Cabal, he was just the highest-ranking member we knew about.
Okay I suppose The Executive Producer would outrank The Director. And The Showrunner would too if the Cabal has that position.

ShakeZula posted:

Remember, that henchman guy who tortured Dembe was working for other members that either outranked or could otherwise remove the Director. I imagine the Cabal leadership is more of a council of peers than anything.

And why would Aram be out of a job? You don't think, with everyone exonerated of pretty much everything, that Cooper would hire him back?
Is everyone exonerated of everything? Keen isn't back at the FBI. Is Samar back to whatever position she held before? The classic top secret "Mossad Exchange Program", I guess. Reading the Making A Murderer thread, I realize the FBI is full of incompetents liars and evidence fakers but the organization must have some standards LOL.
I'm fine with a reset and everyone going back to where they were but I guess it was done really quickly on the show. No internal investigations or changes in protocols..."okay everyone let's get back to work".

sbaldrick posted:

I love the fact the FBI hasn't figured out they basically work for Red at this point as part of his criminal network.
Yeah we all know this but you either accept the show's premise or...don't.

It's the same tv trope that allows for The Mentalist, Elementary, Castle etc to continue to "work with" the legit investigators while mocking them and using them for their own purposes.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 16, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Did Red set up the whole caper that resulted in Tom being double-crossed?

And, while it was funny as it played out with Leslie Jones in the waiting room I kept waiting for Red to lean it to her while she was yakking and give her one of those quiet, "I really miss going deep sea fishing in the waters off Bermuda and If you don't stop talking and leave I'm going to gut you like a blue marlin and leave you flopping on the floor gasping for air while you exsanguinate"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think even the writers have any clue from this point forward where they want to take this show. The Cabal poo poo wore thin, but at least it had a point, of sorts.
Yeah the writers had to make changes and work Megan Boone's pregnancy into the storyline, but

quote:

The network has picked up The Blacklist for a fourth season, creator Jon Bokenkamp revealed Monday.

“We knew about that a while ago, it’s one of those things that’s hard to keep quiet. But yes, we’re renewed through the fourth season,” Bokenkamp said in “The Blacklist: Exposed,” a podcast interview. “Hopefully we don’t tank that out, we've got a lot of story to tell.”

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 12, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This episode is approaching Shoot 'Em Up over-the-topness.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"We had to fake her death so the people hunting LIzzie would stop" is hard to believe because there were many moments where Red, the doctor and Mr Kaplan were emoting only for the camera - or for us. And Red thought he could protect her so when did he come up with that plan, to have her get in a car accident, get hurt, have emergency birth surgery when she was supposed to be getting married, etc ? Before going to the church?!

And, she'd still be off the show. They can't fake her death and then have her turn up at work the next week.

Gonz posted:

If Keen is dead, the show becomes Raymond Reddington: Revengeance, and that is something that everyody probably wants to see.
Yes, I'd be down for a season of Reddington On A Rampage. Instead of names in the Blacklist he goes after everyone he blames for her death.

(While Katarina Rostova hunts him down for being responsible for her daughter's demise?)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 15, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
drat Reddington is a tough guy to work for. :smug:
And then he leaves her there on the ground because he had just shot the person who usually cleans up after him.

Medullah posted:

Someday I'm going to make a movie that starts with whoever the big action star of the day is digging his grave with a henchman behind him telling him how much he's going to die, constantly checking his phone and getting distracted by birds and such. Once the grave is done, bang, shot fired, hero falls into the grave, then it becomes a romantic comedy. All trailers will be from the first 5 minutes of the movie.

So, Mr. Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TatqilQ8rI

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 30, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"You were saying?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I laughed that it took being tortured to the point of imminent death before Red would 'confess' to being the father.

Any guesses on what Reddington whispered to Kirk? I think it was something like, "Katarina had another child, one that you fathered. I will help you find this person if you let me live".

BrandonGK posted:

The characters exists in an universe where the New World Order is proven to exist and yet no one seems to care.
So, our universe.:ninja:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 11, 2016

• Locked thread