Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I was thinking about 1/3 into the episode that killing Agent Keen was just about the only textbook swerve the show could do to prove that it had any kind balls or direction at all, but sadly knowing the soulless procedural grist mill it remains to be seen if they don't cop out with another massive chickenshit reversal.

It's worthy to note that they dropped a commercial break in the middle of her actual death, which is the hallmark of a dramatic move not to be taken seriously on network television. The odds aren't good but it would be swell if they decline to hit the plot reset ejection button and actually do something interesting with the interstitial scenes between Spader hamming it to the maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

They put the awful title right in this backdoor pilot episode, "Gray Matters". ugh

still lollin' that absolutely no one at any point went "Hey, where's Solomon??" after he was shot, despite spending extended screentime with his partner and his employer

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

blunt posted:

Blacklist spinoff has been officially picked up as The Blacklist: Redemption.

Terrible name but I'll probably watch - the last few episodes since they killed Liz have been genuinely enjoyable.
Holy poo poo, that's actually worse than 'Grey Matters'

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao the writers and producers were so non-committal about their :master: that we all instantly predicted to a tee that they put Megan Boone's name in the opening credit crawl. Like they just couldn't wait and were worried people needed her back as soon as possible.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Astro7x posted:

That's more of a SAG requirement, and has been an issue with TV shows for a long time when you have surprise appearances in an episode. That said, they could just pay the fine and not credit her per her contract to really keep it a surprise.
I can't remember offhand but I've definitely seen multiple shows that have bypassed this for the purposes of a surprise reveal, where they seem to get some kind of exemption and shuttle a feature for the actor to the end credits.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

everyone it was possible for this show yet again get more boring, risk-averse, and predictable, so here we are and it's worse and stupider than ever

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Spader is an intensely serious actor who hates being out in public by his own admission so he must really ,really like this steady paycheck to be on board for this dreck.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I'm very close to giving up, I ditched 'Empire' this season after it giving it 2 seasons to stop being cartoonishly poor monotonous soap opera garbage (because S1 was at least half novel), there's no good way to justify sticking with hour long dramas you need to "tolerate" in the peak TV era.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Also her head is way too big for her face. Easter island lookin' grill

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"We need someone to infiltrate this highly-suspicious and intelligent group of ruthless female thieves!"

"Let's pick the woman whose face has been plastered all over the television and just gained international news AGAIN by being publicly pardoned by the President instead of the highly-effective and ruthless Mossad operative who would probably LOVE to do dangerous poo poo to get back in our good graces!"
You don't think her disguise of clear-framed glasses and a single pass with a curling iron was convincing?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The procedural formula for the core show is such rote garbage. Brett Spiner's "architect" had the exact same gimmick as that young smug rich kid who also set up coordinated criminal ventures, and that was literally only 10 episodes earlier in S3. Slick!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I enjoy Spiner, and I had no problem with his performance, just the scripting. Hell, I even thought his motorcade was rad because they brought in a sweet looking prop railgun without ever mentioning or explaining what it was.

If you want a whole lot more of him playing sinister, S1 of Cinemax's 'Outcast' was full of it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Edi Gathegi's character is by far the best character introduced in the show's run and it's basically an incredibly rare showrunner fluke they didn't kill him off like a bad guy of the week even though they explicitly set up a scene to do so if this spinoff fell through

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Minus the absence of Reddington's ham, 'Redemption' is way more fun to watch for a trash procedural than the original. The heist setpieces and editing are far more engaging than watching ressler mope around with his slackened opiate gaze and elizabeth play some kind of glorified secretary all episode long

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I concur, famke janssen isn't exactly known for her command of the thespian arts but she stunk the screen up every time she was on it in a huge way

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That loving venetian blends nose shadow cracked me the hell up, it was so half-assed

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao ressler's old friend in the newest episode was so poorly written and acted I thought it was some kind of satirical comedy play/gambit meant to lampoon CSI procedurals, and then he'd get killed by a train or something comically crowd pleasing. Nope, he's actually supposed to be like that and it's intended to be coming across as hip and mysterious. lmao ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Digital Jedi posted:

Blacklist has been renewed for a 5th season.

The Blacklist:Redemption has been cancelled.

Edit: Updated
Spineless network execs will never fail to back the wrong lame horse

• Locked thread