Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So evidently in the Blacklist universe, being right next to a highly-pressurized Sarin canister and releasing it doesn't kill you so long as the gas jet is pointing *away* from you when you open the valve. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They're also lapsing into an annoying rehash of "IS SHE OR ISN'T SHE" from the original show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Minus the absence of Reddington's ham, 'Redemption' is way more fun to watch for a trash procedural than the original. The heist setpieces and editing are far more engaging than watching ressler mope around with his slackened opiate gaze and elizabeth play some kind of glorified secretary all episode long

Also, Eggold and Gathegi have good chemistry for being each other's foils. Honestly the weakest character thus far is Famke - at least Terry O'Quinn knows how to play crazy. Famke's high point was the opening scene, and from that point forward she's looked *bored*. Even her assistant and gigolo seemingly have more depth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, that's certainly one way to put an end to the dithering back and forth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, I could honestly give a poo poo if Redemption is ~redeemed~. Famke very obviously just didn't want to be there, and Eggold vs. Gathegi, while entertaining, can't carry the show on its own.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I concur, famke janssen isn't exactly known for her command of the thespian arts but she stunk the screen up every time she was on it in a huge way

What's most disappointing is that while it's true she's not the best actress, she's quadrilingual in real life, which is something you'd expect out of a woman running a corporate army/intelligence service. But instead they made her into a glorified Mommie Dearest who only seemed like a badass because people kept *saying* she was (it's the same as Batfleck - we need to see some origin, not just 'you know the story, gently caress you, just eat it up, sheep'). I wanted Corporate Carmen Sandiego, and all I got was "woman looking annoyed and bored" every week. Pass.

If they'd kept up the intensity from the first scene where she cons the guy with the illusion that she's about to drop him out of a plane, it might've been a good show. Instead it didn't even peak early - it just felt like something they're now going to have to completely ignore or haphazardly bookend in the main show now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 18, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, "Requiem" was possibly one of the best episodes they've yet done, even if most of it is spent in the past. Whoever they're paying or torturing to write this now, they need to keep it up or pay them more.

I'm actually even *more* annoyed at "Redemption" now because it delayed us from seeing this kind of quality.

Also, I like Annie Heise (Aram's girlfriend) *a lot*. She's a good foil for Samar and she's *competent*. Can we do a mass write-in to NBC like they did for Jericho and ask if we can dye her hair darker and *she* could just be Liz from now on? She actually looks like she wants to be there.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 21, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

It's hilarious that this giant, global spanning conflict involving multiple powerful individuals and groups is centered around someone who barely seems to give a poo poo, and is slightly irritated that people keep bothering her with it.

It's because she has Jesus' DNA. That's why Kirk wanted Agnes. God's blood. Reddington thinks he's of a long lineage of geniuses which included a man named Romboldo, so he was *fated* to be honeytrapped by Katarina, and that's why he seemingly cannot die.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I like the new guy, even if it seems like he's so competent he's just going to clown Ressler at every turn until he's forced to be ~brought into the fold~ when Red cures his niece of cancer or something to get him to play ball.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, I see we're back to the "Samar being a superbitch so we don't care when she gets dumpstered like Meera" writing team.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

lmao ressler's old friend in the newest episode was so poorly written and acted I thought it was some kind of satirical comedy play/gambit meant to lampoon CSI procedurals, and then he'd get killed by a train or something comically crowd pleasing. Nope, he's actually supposed to be like that and it's intended to be coming across as hip and mysterious. lmao ahahahaha

At first the ice rink was so dimly lit I thought he was Romo Lampkin from BSG.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

We should all be so lucky as to have Romo Lampkin on this show.

Probably the only person Red would be scared of.

"Oh poo poo, *that* guy. Pack everything up, Dembe. We're going to go live on the International Space Station. I know a guy at Roscosmos who owes me a *huge* favor."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This was not a good episode. It had all the makings of one, but ultimately it's just another awkward wet fart that stunk up the room and quite literally led to everyone just backing away and agreeing that nothing of merit really happened.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Polygynous posted:

oh neat, looks like the IS RED HER FATHER thing from the preview that someone somewhere still cares about won't be getting resolved next week

I hacked the NBC Gibson and I'm here to spoil the season-ending cliffhanger for you all: just before learning the truth if Red *is* her father or not, Aram bursts in and claims ~The Hijacker~ has stolen all the Red Mercury Nuclear Missilebombs from the Fort Unicorn Fantasy Weapons Depot. Normally in this show's universe when someone steals a nuclear missilebomb it just kind of resolves itself, or someone like Ukrainian Bomb Guy merely wants a harmless doohickey that's *inside* the bomb, but they were ALL stolen so of course we have to keep tuning in!

All that aside, though...I know they're going to forget about it, but the inference that Katarina made Red *think* he was Lizzy's father is such a better dramatic element, because it makes Red that much more of a tragic character - the only thing he cares about in his life, the only legacy he has that will persist after he dies...is a lie that he's more than willing to delude himself into believing is true, and he's willing to ruin his 'daughter's' life merely to forcibly be part of hers. It'd make him a truly loathsome and reprehensible villain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's okay, in this universe, Cabinet officials get shot and/or disappear all the time. What a loving horrible waste of Christine Lahti. I was actually enjoying her 'pretersexual fore-word-play' with Ressler, though...right up until, you know... :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For as much Spader as we got last night, that was, on the whole, really bad Spader.

I also take back what I said about Aram's girlfriend, and again, how awkward that loving kiss was.

• Locked thread