Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just wrote numbers. It seems they're more important than words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Skipping the last two nanos means there's been plenty of time for the inner editor who tells me I'm terrible at writing to resurface. (Not that it's wrong :v:) I wrote 2000 words around 2 AM this morning bringing me up to 6k, but I'm having a hard time breaking out of perfectionism and "this isn't as good as it could be" and letting it actively bother me.

I'll try and write more by the end of the night, but I have a feeling it's just gonna get worse.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The more I've written this week, the less I am focusing on getting the words to do good.

I'm focusing on capturing the lovely movie in my head, while TRYING to do grammar and punctuation and things. I caught myself slipping between tenses for a while. I could have gone back to fix it, but then I'd lose that moment of the story in my head.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hit 5,332 today. I'm kind of digging this more relaxed "Just shoot for a bit over the minumum" pace I've taken.

It weird though, the overall plot is about building a ship capable of faster-than-light travel and is set on and round planets orbiting Tau Ceti, but... today I was writing about the cockpit of the B-29 and the Bell X-1. Also I have an air field named after one of the old names for Area 51.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, tense slip is something I struggle with when I'm trying to spit out loads of words in only a little time. It's hard to not go back and fix it as soon as I notice the error. (But hey, the gently caress up will still be there in December. Leave it.)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just breezed on up to 6.6k and will probably continue to squeeze out a few words at a time to land on 7k for today.

This seems a lot easier than I remember. I'm dreading the hurdle where I hit that great murky middle.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I keep doing about 55-75 words at a time during my 10 minute breaks in the morning. I think of ideas in my head while I'm working and then jot it all down furiously in my breaks.

I'm up to 1,379, still quite a bit behind (though the night's not over yet) with lots of small bits of gaps I need to sew up.

ed: I do have the idea of the final confrontation down, which is good, but I don't a clear idea of who the big bad guy is exactly.

I've been thinking of this story as being a sort of Studio-Ghibli style fantasy adventure, if that makes sense.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Always something. Last night the Internet went out, tonight my car breaks down on the way home from work. Gonna be a late night if I want to hit my goal.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TequilaJesus posted:

Always something. Last night the Internet went out, tonight my car breaks down on the way home from work. Gonna be a late night if I want to hit my goal.
I wrote with a lady who dictated her story on the road (digital recorder? tape deck? Phone? No clue), then typed it out when she got home. I haven't tried it, but she swore by it, and produced a poo poo TON of words.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ending today at 7.1k. Suddenly realizing that character development is happening way too quickly! Have to go back in time and write some more scenes for characterization. This will be fun.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
This is the first year I'm using Scrivener. Pretty sure this is the best decision I've made this year. The novel goes a lot quicker when you can go at your pace, and do the scenes as you're inspired.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'm just under 10k, should easily get there by the end of the day.
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/wrageowrapper

Writing about peasant farmers in the Egyptian old kingdom. I probably should have done more research before I started but gently caress it, that's for second drafts...right?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Finished at 5700 last night, added another 500~ this morning before work. Planning on stretching out to 8k later if I can find the will after a long day

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Left my laptop at home today. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until I get home from work and totally not want to write or write during my lunch break. Kind of thinking the latter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've found that using Google drive and a Bluetooth keyboard to get my daily word count out of the way in my lunch break works wonders for me. I'm currently ahead, not factoring in today's needed words, which I will get to in a little while.

I love NaNo. I wish I could feel this motivated to write when not participating in this stuff. Now, if only I can keep my head up and my spirits high, since I'm working on the second 50k words of this novel... Can't let the middle bog me down.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I know this was shared in the previous version of this thread, but was it a goon that wrote up Nano Numbers? It lets you plot out and compare your words/day against your writing buddies on a single screen. It was a great ego boost/motivating factor for me last year, but it doesn't appear to have been updated for 2015. Is there anything else like it?

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?
This is my first time participating and it has been a blast so far! It was just what I needed to start writing (semi)seriously. Just got up to 8.5K words.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/apt

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well I'm trying this. I've seen friends on facebook post about this for awhile so gently caress it.

I'm using an idea based on this thing my parents do/did where they came up with stupid theories about these two guys who are at every sing Nationals game and always right behind home plate. Or at least they were. They haven't updated me on these guys in awhile (although that might have to do with their season being well over). The title is shamelessly stolen from them since I like it so much.

"Ugly and Rich, with nothing to do".

I managed to get ~166 words just from the excerpt for the novel creation page based on the ending to a scene that's been kicking around my head. But I need to pick up a bunch of wiggle room starting so late.

Link to my page: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/eldercrain

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
10k! :toot: Already more than I wrote in the entire month of October. Hopefully all the planning I did then will keep me on track. I have no idea how I used to sit down and write with only a vague idea of where I was going with it. These days I'm hopelessly lost without a beat sheet and an outline.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

20k currently :eng101: Stoked I'm still keeping up the 5k a day pace. Who knows how long I'll keep lasting at this rate, but if I continue for much longer it looks like I'll be knocking out a couple of first draft books, not just one!

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
I'm finally giving it a try this year. I've always wanted to but never gave it the gumption. Yeah my novel idea is probably dumb and hack but that's the point, isn't it?

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/somnimiles

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wasn't really feeling it today, but still managed to plod my way to 6,682.

Still feel good. I had enough of a buffer that I only had to hit ~1300 words. Previous years, I'd try to get enough of a buffer to take a day off once a week and that seemed to hurt my motivation. So I'll try this way and see how it works.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
7268 not so far.

Not too bad.

I'm kind of dialing it in these past couple of days, but it's all good... kind of spending some words to punch up the storyline, add some more deaths and jokes.

This is the fun part of writing, where you're just kind of making stew with whatever. "Oh hey, I found these garden tomatoes! And some cinnamon! And a pair of sandals!"

Not writing linearly yet. I mean, I started out doing that, but it got boring as hell, fast.

I wonder if this is how they wrote LOST episodes.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 5, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Started strong in the morning, but I ended up phoning it in towards the end. Wrote just over the bare minimum with 1700 words, but at least it's still adding on to that buffer. Got ~8.8k right now, so I'm still well ahead of the curve.

Local group is having a write-in at the library tomorrow, so I'm gonna show up to that and probably not get any writing done at all because those tend to be used more for socializing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
7753, still tooting ahead of schedule. The subject of my novel is closely linked with some poo poo I've been dealing with since early May so it's been incredibly cathartic as well. I'm just hoping the protagonist's big breakdown scene at the end of Act 2 doesn't gently caress my head up.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Posting my day 4 number because it's pretty: 11,111. I find it a weird method of motivation to write my way to a number I like the look of. I once wrote 1.3 k in an hour because I hated the way a number looked.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Went to the tail-end of the write-in that I could to after getting home from work, and then some people in the chat wanted to get together on Skype ,so we did, reading a bit of what we were writing, getting feedback and doing a word sprint with a prompt.

My word count is now 2,718. I did a good chunk more, but I'm still a bit behind and I need to get myself to pick up the pace.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am super-duper behind and all of my words are horrible. But then this sentence fell out of my brain:

Hammer Bro. posted:

A malicious puree of obliterated vegetables saturated the walkways.

I now feel accomplished.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
I just decided to do something very stupid in my novel, but I am now determined to do it, and am currently thinking of ways to pull it off and it maybe be not quite AS stupid.

Edit: Is there an IRC channel for this on Syn? I joined #NaNoWriMo but no one was there so I registered it if anyone wants to go hang out and talk about bad writing. Can't promise I'll be active there every second but I'll try to check it often as I can.

Parkour Lewis fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 5, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Late start this year. Meant to kick things off Sunday, then Monday, but real life interfered. Not too worried though since my first session ended up producing 3.5k words. I'll probably catch up in no time.

Several of my previous long-term writing projects were a bit too ambitious, so this time around I'm going for a simpler adventure story. The core cast's personalities are still kinda in flux, but by the end of the second chapter I should have a better bead on everyone.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Parkour Lewis posted:

I just decided to do something very stupid in my novel, but I am now determined to do it, and am currently thinking of ways to pull it off and it maybe be not quite AS stupid.

Edit: Is there an IRC channel for this on Syn? I joined #NaNoWriMo but no one was there so I registered it if anyone wants to go hang out and talk about bad writing. Can't promise I'll be active there every second but I'll try to check it often as I can.

If you've entered Thunderdome before, there's #thunderdome. Otherwise, you might try #longwalk. It's quiet, but the people who pop in are either trying nanowrimo or have toxxed a certain wordcount for the month.

I fell a bit behind last night. Tonight will probably be the same story. I'm pretty wrecked this morning.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, not editing is hard. I'm at 13k words due to a lazy starting weekend, but I could have so much more if I hadn't decided to switch to present tense, and then switching back to past.

I know, dumb move, and now my draft is a mess. Oh well, plenty of time for editing after NaNo :shepface: .

The worst part is that I can't show anyone my work now, I'm too ashamed of my hosed up tenses.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

RedTonic posted:

If you've entered Thunderdome before, there's #thunderdome. Otherwise, you might try #longwalk. It's quiet, but the people who pop in are either trying nanowrimo or have toxxed a certain wordcount for the month.

I fell a bit behind last night. Tonight will probably be the same story. I'm pretty wrecked this morning.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I just hit 5,000 words at the end of my second chapter this morning, and it has me stunned. I know I'm still behind, but I honestly thought that i'd have given up long before now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Man, not editing is hard. I'm at 13k words due to a lazy starting weekend, but I could have so much more if I hadn't decided to switch to present tense, and then switching back to past.

I know, dumb move, and now my draft is a mess. Oh well, plenty of time for editing after NaNo :shepface: .

The worst part is that I can't show anyone my work now, I'm too ashamed of my hosed up tenses.

Ignore editing for now. Once you start going back, you can't stop and you'll wear yourself out by 11/30, either giving up, or never wanting to look at your story again.

Just write. Write bad, write lovely. Write shittily bad for now.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Got to 10k today! And then I kept writing and got to 11k.

It's only 9PM here, so let's see if I can make it to 12k before bedtime.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I totally forgot about this. I'm not doing it this year because I'm going away for three days and will not be bringing my laptop with me. Good Luck all.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Apart from editing, the next trickiest thing I find is to stop worrying about little inconsistencies that creep in when you're writing as fast as possible with as little preparation as possible. Publishing isn't really my goal for this, I just want to be able to get stuff down and reach 50k, so if a couple of genders swap between pages, who cares? :-)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

25K. Halfway there! I'm stoked it's continuing to go this well. Defiantly going to go for at least a 100k this month. Who knows? Maybe even more....

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I started on the third day and just caught up to the curve. Go, me. I think I did 10k on the first day last time but this feels a little more natural, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Sitting waiting for an interview I wrote out about 200 words, now i"m at 3,727. I'm caught up to Monday at least, so I'm only 3 days behind...

I think I've pretty much written the basics of what will happen so unless I have a lot of padding or unexpected scenes this might end up being a short story instead of a full novel. If I do descide it's a short story I'll try to start a new story to bring my total to 50,000.

• Locked thread