Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

it is posted:

I'm a 23-year-old male

No
Yes
No

No matter where we decide the line between "person" and "not person" is, as long as abortion is something that happens we will sometimes get it wrong. That's not exactly "oops" territory. Abortion necessarily kills the matter that is removed, which is still the entirety of an organism of our species in an early developmental stage, and if we kill an organism that we found out was too person-y to be ok to kill, what exactly have we done?
And the circumstances around creating a person say nothing about whether it is an acceptable thing to kill the person
Both scenarios are horrible (well, ok, if you're working from the assumption that there is no ethical issue about abortion, maybe the other one isn't horrible, but still) but I would much rather be pregnant for 9 months and leave the baby in the hospital than die, and I would much rather grow up in foster care than die.

(of course creating a culture where sex isn't demonized and where sexual mistakes are treated with the same understanding as other mistakes and to making sure access to birth control is easy and increasing social programs to ease the burden of unplanned pregnancy and to making guys start paying child support at conception would be much more effective at reducing the number of abortions than an abortion ban and they're also things that need to happen anyway for all kinds of reasons but we're more interested in fighting about whether it should be legal than doing things that are good for both not loving over disadvantaged women and also reducing the number of abortions aren't we)

I am morbidly curious as to why you said no for the first one. BTW the words "it's not the baby's fault" are not a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Skinny King Pimp posted:

29/F
Yes to all three.

Elective abortions should be 100% legal until the point of viability, which we could call 24 weeks or so, since it's somewhere around there that the chances of survival get up to 50%. Medical abortions should be legal in all cases. On top of that, abortion and other reproductive health services should be covered by health insurance and the Hyde amendment should be repealed 40 years ago. Reducing or removing access to safe, legal, elective abortions doesn't do anything but put more kids in foster care and kill more women who turn to dangerous alternatives out of desperation.

You can believe abortion is murder all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that women have found ways to induce abortions for literally 3000 years. If you think banning it will change that, you're delusional.

This is really confusing. I'm not sure why you would say that completely elective abortions are fine, but give a flat no to cases of rape or incest.

Maybe he's Craster or a Targareyan.

Also, to the people who say "give it up for adoption" don't seem to take into consideration it's not as simple as:

1. Give birth.
2. Sign paperwork.
3. Yay baby is adopted to a loving family!

There's, if nothing else, the financial and health aspect of it. Labor isn't easy, childbirth can leave a woman sterile or dead. What if the baby is born and has physical deformities or handcaps? Mental ones? The list isn't long for people who want to adopt a baby with a myriad of health issues. gently caress, the list isn't that long for healthy babies unless they are white and often look similar to the adoptive parents.

There's also the physical change for the woman in question. The hormones after you give birth are insane. But just sign the paperwork and leave the baby you didn't want and it's cut and dried and no one ever has to deal with the physical resolution of such a bodychanging experience.

Ask any woman who has had an abortion, compared to a woman who gave birth and gave the baby up for adoption which was more painful. I'd bet the latter. And no, the "process of getting it out of there" is not very loving similar and neither is the end result.

And anyone who says "just give it up for adoption" should also be willing to adopt that baby, and every other baby that they want born into this world.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ahleeshaa posted:

No? Just not wanting a child isn't a "rational" reason? Not wanting to raise a child with significant birth defects isn't "rational"? Knowing that a pregnancy will significantly affect your mental health? Even if you eliminate rape, poverty, and gender discrimination, those situations will still arise.

Some people think pregnancy is "punishment" for a woman if they have sex. Hence the mental or physical state of the mother doesn't matter. She had sex, she needs to accept the consequences.

The ONLY reason this line of thought is acceptable when it comes to men and pregnancy is that the pregnancy does not happen in their body and physically does not affect them. A man can't argue that he didn't want to have a baby to push the mom to abortion (or force her to not get one), but he still has to pay the piper when it comes to the woman wanting to continue (or end) the pregnancy.

I used to think sex-selection abortion was horrible until I thought about the other side of it: if a couple wants a girl and they keep having boys, they end up with lots of unwanted children. We aren't exactly an endangered species at this point, I see no issue with an abortion if it keeps unwanted children from being born/

• Locked thread