Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Vermintide 2 Update!

See new OP for Vermintide 2 here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851244

Vermintide 2 is almost out! There is a beta running now for people who preorder! It's stupid cheap for a great game! Go get it now and join the Steam Group & Discord server and kill rats with goons now! I'm too busy killing rat people to write a bunch about it, but basically, Vermintide 2 improves on almost every aspect of the game and keeps all the good stuff from Vermintide 1. Don't think! Start killing rats now!

Full release date/time; 10AM PST/1PM EST March 8th 2018.

What is it?

The next best thing since shooting zombies in the face: hitting rat-men in the face with a giant hammer! Vermintide is the next step in evolution of the zombie survival co-op game. It takes place in the Warhammer Fantasy universe, right around when the world is ending and the Skaven (along with everyone else) try to conquer the world. It won best game of PAX and there are a ton of videos already out there from some of the closed betas showing off the gameplay.

How does it play?

It is very much like Left 4 Dead, in that it is 4 player co-op, where you work to accomplish objectives and not die while an endless horde of disgusting rat people try to kill you. There are special enemies that can one shot you (jumpy assassin, rat-catcher, minigun-rat) if you are stupid and get caught alone. Teamwork & staying together is vital. Like L4D, knowledge of the map significantly helps, but the encounters are random, so there is a lot of replayability.

There are 5 classes, each with a choice of a melee and ranged weapon. Some classes are more melee focused (dwarf, soldier) and some more ranged focused (mage, elf). Melee combat is a big component, not an afterthought like in L4D, and there is blocking, dodging, and location based damage.

How does the loot system work?

At the end of every mission, everyone gets a certain number of dice. You roll the dice, and based on how many show face up, your loot drop upgrades. Everyone gets the same number of dice, regardless of performance. There are also loot items that you can find in the map, which if carried successfully through to the end of the map, gives everyone additional and better dice (higher percent chance of a face). This (should) give everyone even more incentive to work together and not be a dick. Unwanted items can be broken down or combined to make better items.

How do I talk to people?

The game DOES now have built in voice chat, or you can meet up with other chill goons hanging out on our own Mumble server, Camping the Stairs. See link for access. Link

How do I find other people to play with?

We have our own channel on CTS (see above), as well as a Steam group. If you want to play with goons, log into the CTS Mumble server, or join the Steam Group chat and see if anyone is around. Playing with pubbies can be a real pain, so play with Goons who are 100% guaranteed to be better at the game due to Goons superior qualities (paid $10 to access comedy website forums).

I'm still unsure, these guys have made some bad games and most GW games suck!

Here are some gameplay videos, if they don't convince you nothing will

Official gameplay trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkZZ2CehhQ

IGN plays for 2 full hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2cXYXXPy2c

Someone plays for 3 loving hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8bYzviVTlA

When is the Release date?

The game is officially released on Steam Oct 23 2015, but if you pre-order the game (at a 10% discount), you get access to the open beta test one week early. Beta progression during the pre-order beta DOES carry over when the full game is released (baring some catastrophe).

Riftling posted:

Progress will be saved past beta barring some exploitastrophe.

Links:

Vermintide 1&2 http://vermintide.com/

Vermintide 2 Pre-order Beta Info http://www.vermintide.com/news/pre_order_beta_live/

VT1 On Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

VT2 On Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/552500

Steam Group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonintide

Discord Server https://discord.gg/dsdSGVh

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're also doing a free beta this coming Monday to Wednesday that you had to sign up for. I just got a key today, but I have no idea if they're still giving them out.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

They're also doing a free beta this coming Monday to Wednesday that you had to sign up for. I just got a key today, but I have no idea if they're still giving them out.

If you go to the Alienware site, they will say they have keys available, until you sign up, then they will tell you they are actually out. I was too lazy to make an OP before then.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Hoping this is decent, always had a soft spot for skaven and I was pretty heavily into L4D for a while.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I've got a key for the beta tomorrow, and had a chance to play a bit on Friday when they forgot to shut something down. It feels right, the melee is good, and the characters are all decently fun to play. If the remaining 10 missions are as good as the 3 available in the beta, it's going to be great. Just waiting for the Ork character DLC.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Uuugg. An Orc merc would be so amazing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This game looks sweet as hell. I'm glad they didn't go with orcs or some sort of zombie stand in, the Skaven seem really unique and they give the game a really cool aesthetic. God I hope I can afford something that can run this when it comes out.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This game looks sweet as hell. I'm glad they didn't go with orcs or some sort of zombie stand in, the Skaven seem really unique and they give the game a really cool aesthetic. God I hope I can afford something that can run this when it comes out.

Skaven are great because they're one of the few really unique things in Warhammer. Everything else is cribbed at least partially from some other setting, but "insane backstabbing mad scientist rat men who react to uranium like it's PCP and cocaine at the same time" is pretty novel.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really hope this is good. Literally did not know it existed until today but the idea of "L4D with Skaven" sounds really cool.

President Ark posted:

Skaven are great because they're one of the few really unique things in Warhammer. Everything else is cribbed at least partially from some other setting, but "insane backstabbing mad scientist rat men who react to uranium like it's PCP and cocaine at the same time" is pretty novel.

Pretty much. Skaven are always fun with their ridiculous contraptions and horrid mutations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The combat reminds me of Dark Messiah with things such as kicking rat men into a fire pit

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
From the gameplay I've seen, the levels with a lot of skaven architecture/machinery should be pretty incredible. The only thing I don't like so far is the lack of enemy variety. It feels like you have a pretty standard regular/hunter/spitter/smoker/tank spread of enemies along with the rather unique ratling gunners and the elite patrols. Tanks/hordes only make for an interesting level climax so many times. I hope they have some unique bosses or gimmicks in the later levels.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I got a chance to play a few rounds when it was open on Friday. The melee combat felt really, really good. I particularly liked the 2-handed hammer, as both its overhead swings and horizontal swipes felt like they had real weight behind them. I can see myself playing this for a while, but I worry about how long the community will stick around if they don't put in verses mode, much stronger loot, or just continously release new content patches.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

From the gameplay I've seen, the levels with a lot of skaven architecture/machinery should be pretty incredible. The only thing I don't like so far is the lack of enemy variety. It feels like you have a pretty standard regular/hunter/spitter/smoker/tank spread of enemies along with the rather unique ratling gunners and the elite patrols. Tanks/hordes only make for an interesting level climax so many times. I hope they have some unique bosses or gimmicks in the later levels.

They have said that there are some special skaven that they haven't shown off yet. I hope that we get some kind of Skaven caster, as that would have a lot of possibilities and could distinguish the game from L4D a bit.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 5, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I dont know posted:

I got a chance to play a few rounds when it was open on Friday. The melee combat felt really, really good. I particularly liked the 2-handed hammer, as both its overhead swings and horizontal swipes felt like they had real weight behind them. I can see myself playing this for a while, but I worry about how long the community will stick around if they don't put in verses mode, much stronger loot, or just continously release new content patches.

They have said that there are some special skaven that they haven't shown off yet. I hope that we get some kind of Skaven caster, as that would have a lot of possibilities and could distinguish the game from L4D a bit.

I've got 200+ hours into L4D, and that is without loot/xp and almost entirely PUG games. I think Vermintide will be at least as good, and has the potential to be much more. I'm hoping they go the route Payday 2 did, with plenty of DLC at a steady rate.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope one of the enemies is a Doom Wheel. :getin: but with rats.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mordja posted:

I would be down as gently caress for this as a boss fight.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh man, they mentioned a wizards tower level in one of their interviews. They almost certainly have some caster enemies in there.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm pretty skeptical since GW's attitude these days seems to be throwing their IP at seemingly random companies. On the one hand you may have something cool like the Total War spinoff, but on the other hand there's a ton of Warhammer Fantasy/40k shovelware out there.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I caught a few streamers playing this last week and it looks really good, plus it's $30 so it's hard to say no. I know nothing about Warhammer but hitting rats in the face with a hammer looks fun.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm pretty skeptical since GW's attitude these days seems to be throwing their IP at seemingly random companies. On the one hand you may have something cool like the Total War spinoff, but on the other hand there's a ton of Warhammer Fantasy/40k shovelware out there.

They've made a bunch of ok-but-not-incredible games, but in terms of shooters they did make Lead and Gold, which I thought was a pretty cool shooter that really only failed because it came out around the same time that TF2 went F2P.

Knightmare posted:

I caught a few streamers playing this last week and it looks really good, plus it's $30 so it's hard to say no. I know nothing about Warhammer but hitting rats in the face with a hammer looks fun.

Not just rats. Insane mad scientist rats who have invented gatling guns and death rays* in a setting where very few other groups have advanced beyond flintlock pistols. :science:

*note: skaven technology tends to backfire catastrophically hilariously explosively :supaburn:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
We've got some Mumble channels created on CTS (see PGS thread here for info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380)

Edit: Added some gameplay videos to OP

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 5, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
What's the status on the NDA for this? I honestly don't remember.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Brackhar posted:

What's the status on the NDA for this? I honestly don't remember.

For this beta and subsequent ones, they've dropped all NDA requirements. NDA's still apply to stuff pertaining to past betas

http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/discussion/1001/on-the-topic-of-nda

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm in the beta and I just joined the group, hope we can get a game tonight

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess the beta's started. And I won't be home for hours...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is it too late to beg for beta keys? :ohdear:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
This looks pretty fun. The game looks very dark though. Is there some kind of flashlight equivalent in-game? I watched some stream and half the time I can barely see the ratmen when they are fighting in area with shadow.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Played one game, it's really fun. It was dark sure but I never felt like it got in the way.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

This looks pretty drat cool, I hope it is good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mordja posted:

Skav In?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

The game is quite fun and I'll be looking forward to playing the full release. The critiques I have thus far are:
  • The artwork in the first few levels is pretty monochromatic/grey. I know that's true to setting (and fixed a bit in some of the later levels), but it's still unfortunate. I don't know if this critique is true only to the levels on show or not though.
  • Melee combat isn't quite as satisfying as range
  • I wish the end of round rewards had more agency with them. Like if you could choose any of the items you qualified in the roll for or something else. It's not great to keep rolling weapons for classes you don't like.
  • I wish there was more variety to the combat in level. Since you keep the same weapons with you through the entire level (unlike in L4D where you frequently would swap around in a level and/or over the course of a campaign) levels feel a little more samey over multiple runs, especially if you keep playing one/two classes due to preference.
I'm also sad that I head they announced they will not be supporting a VS mode at launch, though there's a chance that it'll be added post. I suppose the original L4D didn't launch with VS mode either (or was it just available in No Mercy?), but I really hope it's added. That mode was the real heart of L4D for me.

Overall though, don't let my critiques dissuade you. This game is fun and fun to play with friends.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 5, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

L4D has VS for only No Mercy and whatever the Farmhouse was called iirc. Airport and whatever the third one was didn't get added for a long time.

I think VS for at least one map would be key, since it was fine on L4D. Most people just did No Mercy anyways

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How would they reward a vs mode? Give chaos loot dice so you can bling out your rat man?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How would they reward a vs mode? Give chaos loot dice so you can bling out your rat man?

Why worry about rewarding it? It's just fun to fight against smarter opponents. That said, if they really wanted it to tie it back into the progression loop I'd probably just give bonus dice to both side compared to a regular match with the "winning" team (I'm imagining some sort of Stopwatch style competitive mode where the teams swap end of mission) getting additional bonus dice.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Loot dice would be a nice bonus, but being able to play as a Skaven assassin and do a bunch of ninja flips and dashes all over the place before stabbing the hell out of someone would be a reward in and of itself :getin:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm a rat man, bee ba ba baddaboop, baba baddaboop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Been following this game for a while and from what I've seen it looks pretty drat good. There is a serious lack of 4 player coop FPSes out there so bring em on. Finding a beta key is really drat hard though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I managed to get through the first level and I do mean 'managed'. We were literally at the escape wagon when the game bugged the hell out and restarted the entire scenario.

The game loving rules though, hopefully they have this fixed for open beta because I want this to do well. The first level alone loving nailed that Mordheim look, possibly way more than the actual Mordheim game is.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Deakul posted:

Is it too late to beg for beta keys? :ohdear:

You can get a key from G2A for like a dollar, that's where I got mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Test ran Witch Hunter and Bright Wizard in the first mission, found both awesome in different ways. WH's ability to fire off a pistol with his sword out or to never stop shooting all of the guns was rad, but so was throwing out big pillars of fire. My only gripe with BW was that the venting mechanic wasn't explained at all and I took a lot of unnecessary ticks of damage venting too little charge before I realized what was happening, but that was me not paying attention.

Game is rad, basically. :black101:

• Locked thread