Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just beat the first mission with pubbies, second try. The first time it was just me and the dwarf left (and tbh I don't even know where he'd hosed off to while my buddies were getting killed); I blew open the gate ran through it—and immediately got grabbed by a packmaster and straight up [i]lynched[/]. Dwarf fella finally shows his beard 'round the corner and is swiftly garroted.

Fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bussamove posted:

Test ran Witch Hunter and Bright Wizard in the first mission, found both awesome in different ways. WH's ability to fire off a pistol with his sword out or to never stop shooting all of the guns was rad, but so was throwing out big pillars of fire. My only gripe with BW was that the venting mechanic wasn't explained at all and I took a lot of unnecessary ticks of damage venting too little charge before I realized what was happening, but that was me not paying attention.

Game is rad, basically. :black101:
Yeah I have no idea how that works. Your staff starts with zero charge, then when you hit max charge you start to...overcharge? And you can vent that overcharge at the cost of health but why would you want to since there is a ton of shots before you max out your overcharge gauge and, I guess, either stop being able to fire entirely or blow up? If the class works anything like in the Warhammer MMO being overcharged would increase damage but there's no visual indication of this.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The best/worst part of this game is when the pack master grabs your team mate and starts pulling them away, while you have to then slowly wade through the horde of clan rats, cursing yourself for not saving one last goddamn bullet.

Best game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pierson posted:

Yeah I have no idea how that works. Your staff starts with zero charge, then when you hit max charge you start to...overcharge? And you can vent that overcharge at the cost of health but why would you want to since there is a ton of shots before you max out your overcharge gauge and, I guess, either stop being able to fire entirely or blow up? If the class works anything like in the Warhammer MMO being overcharged would increase damage but there's no visual indication of this.

Just tested it out in the inn, and when you reach max overcharge you run around panicked for a few seconds, then explode. I assume this'll more or less kill you in an actual mission. You also get set on fire at about 3/4th full, which might apply a DoT. It's a decent mechanic, I just wish there was more than a "Be careful!" popup about it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Bussamove posted:

Test ran Witch Hunter and Bright Wizard in the first mission, found both awesome in different ways. WH's ability to fire off a pistol with his sword out or to never stop shooting all of the guns was rad, but so was throwing out big pillars of fire. My only gripe with BW was that the venting mechanic wasn't explained at all and I took a lot of unnecessary ticks of damage venting too little charge before I realized what was happening, but that was me not paying attention.

[REDACTED]

edit: Nevermind, haven't found on in this beta yet so I won't say anything.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Do the Skaven have personality in the game? I really liked them as a Warhammer army, their manic way of speaking ("Die-die, man thing!!") and high-strung backstabbing.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Bussamove posted:

Venting mechanic just changed for this patch. Before, it would only vent your heat in excess of your normal range, you'd have to wait for it to go down the rest of the way.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Do the Skaven have personality in the game? I really liked them as a Warhammer army, their manic way of speaking ("Die-die, man thing!!") and high-strung backstabbing.

Skaven have a ton of personality, and sound a lot like they did in Warhammer Online if you ever played that. They've even got lines for each individual hero, I heard a lot of them calling me Fire-witch when the clan rats bum-rushed me. Couldn't really pick out many others in the jumble, though. But they've nailed the look, sound, and overall feel of crazy mad scientist rats.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So how long are missions in this, and - related - is there any kind of respawning mechanic? I don't look forward to playing this with pubbies if missions are 15+ minutes long and there's no way to get back people who bumblefuck their way off by themselves and then get stabbed in the kidneys 2 minutes into a mission die early.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

President Ark posted:

So how long are missions in this, and - related - is there any kind of respawning mechanic? I don't look forward to playing this with pubbies if missions are 15+ minutes long and there's no way to get back people who bumblefuck their way off by themselves and then get stabbed in the kidneys 2 minutes into a mission die early.

Missions are comparable in length to, say No Mercy Mission 3 (the sewer one) from L4D1, if a bit longer. However, there's no campaign structure, so it's a one and done approach with the opportunity to vote to continue with the group in the end. As for respawning, if someone dies then they will eventually show up again further along in the map tied up on the ground, similar to L4D rescue closest but without the empty rooms built into the level.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
There are some pretty crazy weapon effects in this game. I got a bow that homes in on targets when fully charged and flies through several rats if there is enough room. It actually seems a bit too good cause it basically homes in on head shots and instakills some specials. It's hilarious to see an arrow fly through an rat ogre like 20 times though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

President Ark posted:

Basically there's a bleedout system, during which time you can be rescued but also attacked by the rats to kill you dead-dead, but you can still be resuscitated at specific points in the map, though I'm not sure whether you'll spawn at full health.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Brackhar posted:

As for respawning, if someone dies then they will eventually show up again further along in the map tied up on the ground, similar to L4D rescue closest but without the empty rooms built into the level.

Thank christ, that was the thing that always killed my interest in highest-difficulty L4D2 - there'd always be that One Guy who'd commit suicide by placing their head directly into a zombie's mouth and then you're hosed (because on the highest difficulty in L4D2 people don't respawn)

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

President Ark posted:

Thank christ, that was the thing that always killed my interest in highest-difficulty L4D2 - there'd always be that One Guy who'd commit suicide by placing their head directly into a zombie's mouth and then you're hosed (because on the highest difficulty in L4D2 people don't respawn)

Well, to be fair, "Realism" was the L4D2 mode that prevented respawned, which was a separate consideration from difficulty (easy/normal/hard/nightmare). Yeah, realism was generally more difficult because of the lack of medpacks/outlines, but I'd still say realism hard was easier than non-realism nightmare.

I do not know what rules if any change at the highest difficulties in Vermintide. I think it's just damage/spawnables?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The best/worst part of this game is when the pack master grabs your team mate and starts pulling them away, while you have to then slowly wade through the horde of clan rats, cursing yourself for not saving one last goddamn bullet.

Best game.

Or when you're running across rooftops and an ogre & gatling gunner show up at the same time. A perfect storm and flawless victory. gently caress you Skaven.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of difficulty, this really seems more like the kind of game in which things go from all right to totally loving awful in an instant. Very rarely have I had a game in which anyone died but the rest of the group survived instead of all of us getting wiped out in a sudden encounter with like a pack and two ratlings or something like that.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
New game and all but pubbies are also really bad about basic stuff like sticking together. Because of how the game is focused on melee i don't think people are even trying to wrap their head around the block and push mechanics.

Pushing could save your life in L4D but it's even doubly important here.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

New game and all but pubbies are also really bad about basic stuff like sticking together. Because of how the game is focused on melee i don't think people are even trying to wrap their head around the block and push mechanics.

Pushing could save your life in L4D but it's even doubly important here.

ftfy. Get good at carrying; playing any team-based game is an exercise in dragging your teammates kicking and screaming to victory.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gamesguy posted:

You can get a key from G2A for like a dollar, that's where I got mine.

Oh gently caress dude, good looking out.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Got lucky on my first game and it went really smooth and everyone co-operated. My initial first impression is that this game is pretty loving great, as a huge L4D fan.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Played around a bit as witch hunter, pretty rad game. And just like with l4d I have to constantly save my teammates rear end.

Stop running ahead you loving tool.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like how all the characters hate each other

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i like how all the characters hate each other

warhammer.txt

e: alternately, replace "characters" with "players", online_team_game.txt

e2: really this is 100% appropriate, the dev knows their audience :v:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 6, 2015

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Marsh level in particular is just rage inducing with pubbies. It's big and open which means they can't even fight their urge to ignore the basic core gameplay component of sticking and moving with the loving team.

Bright wizard is great though they could have explained the venting mechanic better in the tooltips. It hurts you, and I don't see a situation where you would absolutely have to trade health for a chance at more big fireballs.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It also cools down much, much faster if you don't go beyond the initial white marks on the bar. The bright wizard system works pretty well, it's just infuriating to figure out initially.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The one thing this game could use is KF2-like dismemberment. :unsmigghh:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So Nightmare has friendly fire. I have no idea how to play a bright wizard with friendly fire on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Brackhar posted:

So Nightmare has friendly fire. I have no idea how to play a bright wizard with friendly fire on.

Roleplay the character by not giving a gently caress about whether or not you immolate your compatriots "accidently."

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

I think VS for at least one map would be key, since it was fine on L4D. Most people just did No Mercy anyways

The reason for this was because Blood Harvest was a much higher curve in difficulty to play as the infected. The openness of BH made it so that you had to have knowledge about the map, attack points, and when or where to coordinate your attack.

No Mercy on the other hand had a lot of corners, closets, and blocked sight lines to spawn as the aliens.

But I digress. Seeing Vermintide immediately brought back memories of L4D to me. Even more exciting is the price point because I was sure this was a $60 game because new game prices. At $30 it's a much easier price to swallow despite having a million games to play.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Just played through a bunch of games tonight, and I'm so glad I pre-purchased this game. I want to support this sort of thing as much as I can. The combat is super satisfying, and I have reasons to like every class.
The Witch Hunter has cool akimbo pistols and all, but his rapier's thrust attack is the just the best thing. It's got great reach, and you can spear multiple rats in one thrust. Bonus points for multiple head stabs.
The Bright Wizard is an AoE damage machine with the default staff and a machine gun with her first unlock. I like how varied she can be.
The Dwarf Ranger is so meaty, and he's as close to a tanky/CC class as I've seen in this game. Knockbacks are also taunts, which is awesome.
The Elf is the most boring character in the game for me though all her kills are still pretty satisfying. Shoot people, stab people. I hope she gets more flavor with some unlocks.
The Imperial Soldier is the heavy weapons guy. Smack rats all day.

Being in Beta, however, I crashed out of the victory screens of the missions the majority of the time, so my level is very low. I read somewhere that it's a known bug, but I missed out on a lot of loot. I did manage to roll for two pieces of gear tonight, though, by NOT clicking on the satisfaction survey at the end of the match. Apparently it's breaking the GUI in some cases and causing the game to crash before I could get XP or loot.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

There are no goons in either the group chat or in the CTS channel to play with. :smith:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I imagine the open beta will bring more people in. Also like L4D/Payday this game is gonna need dedicated groups to do the really hard stuff for the best loot, so the Steam group will definitely see some use.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Anyone else feel like the soldiers great hammer is kinda unsatisfying? I just feel like every other weapon has weight to it and the hammer is made out of foam, that can pop a skaven's head like a water balloon. Everything is super cool and fun save the hard technical issues like sound cutting in and out, and the second level crashing every time I call the boat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, bought the game via Steam thinking that it'll give me beta access like what you guys seem to have, although after checking the Steam store page I've found that it starts in a week for Steam users. Are there currently any ways for me to get beta access, so that I can play it before it releases? (Since well, half the reason I got it was to tide me over until Fallout 4 releases, heh - with the other half naturally being because it's a L4D-like)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Buy a key on g2a for like a dollar

ye olde anime shoppe
Nov 9, 2006

Unlike most, I know I am a tool.
Got a download link for the beta client?

- Nevermind, I'm an idiot

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah it's like two bucks from keysites.

On the one hand the current beta window ends tomorrow, the open beta begins some time real soon, and the game comes out in less than a month.

On the other hand the game is fun and you can just skip going to starbucks one day or whatever.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Elpato posted:

Being in Beta, however, I crashed out of the victory screens of the missions the majority of the time, so my level is very low. I read somewhere that it's a known bug, but I missed out on a lot of loot. I did manage to roll for two pieces of gear tonight, though, by NOT clicking on the satisfaction survey at the end of the match. Apparently it's breaking the GUI in some cases and causing the game to crash before I could get XP or loot.

Ahh I've been getting this half the time too, I'll try skipping the survey at the end and see if that helps tonight.

I bought a key yesterday, which for $1.50 is like renting the game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

Buy a key on g2a for like a dollar

The keys are literally just for the beta and only active until Oct. 22nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The keys are literally a dollar. I think I'm OK.

• Locked thread