Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's October and it's a perfect time to play some horror games! A few horror games are some of my favorites and classics of the medium. Currently a lot of these games can be picked up for cheap or emulated.
Classics

Fatal Frame

Fatal Frame has seen four English releases, one being an excellent remake of Fatal Frame 2 for the Wii. The other three were released on Playstation 2 and the original Xbox. The first game is easily one of the scariest horror games ever released but it does suffer from a terrible English dub and is pretty hard to find a physical copy of. The two sequels are great too but many people find that the third entry, The Tormented, was subpar. I've played the remake of 2 for the Wii and it's very good. It's also likely the easiest one of the original to get a hold of without having to emulate it.

:siren:Sometime this month WiiU owners will get a chance to play the newest Fatal Frame, Maiden of the Black Water as an Eshop exclusive! If anyone gets this please give it a review! :siren:

Fatal Frame games play with the classic Resident Evil tank style controls with combat taking place entirely in a first person perspective. It borrows a lot from Resident Evil aside from its controls; fixed camera, puzzles, revisiting areas, and a similar save system (though you can be attacked in these areas), and a similar upgrade system. Fatal Frame, especially the first one, can prove to be pretty challenging. Each ghost requires a face shot to damage and there are many kinds of frame perfect shots you can perform. Some ghosts have special gimmicks like the one in the gif. She is blinded and cannot physically locate you unless you move. She represents one of the game's best challenges. Some ghosts are low to the ground and some ghosts don't even have their heads attached to their bodies! There's something of an overarching story between all the games but each game is self contained enough for that not to matter. Highly Recommended if you haven't played any of them.

Silent Hill

Everyone has played at least one of these games. Silent Hill has had a lot of American releases aside along with the four mainline games. It seems like a lot of these are kind of mixed in how much people like them. Homecoming (PS2) is probably the weakest of the franchise. I personally think Downpour is a little underrated (PS3, 360) and worth a shot if you can find it for cheap. Shattered Memories (PS2, Wii, PSP) is a remake of the first game and is excellent, play this if you can! There are two more I haven't played; Arcades which was slated to get on PSN this year and Book of Memories (VITA) which I've heard is good. There's also two HD remakes of the first three games that people generally hate.

Silent Hill is classic tanky controls and plays a lot like early Resident Evil games. However Silent Hill excels in creating horror outside the monsters. Something that anyone who's played the game is aware of. Silent Hill 1 (PS1) has aged somewhat alright, but its remake is well done enough to try that instead. The PS2 mainline titles (2,3,4) have aged very well and if you have a ps2 or a backwards compatible PS3 then I recommend all of them. SH2 is the standout classic and one of my favorite horror games. Silent Hill 2 also has a Metal Gear Solid-esque amount of stuff you may not have picked up in your initial playthrough Like how you can beat the final pyramid heads without firing a shot, or that even most of the game can be completed without violence. SH3 is great and actually the first Silent Hill I played through. It's good for if you want to hear the voice of the iDroid and TPP main theme singer scream about birthing satan (she's also in SH2). Silent Hill 4 seems to get some flak from fans but I really, really like it. It does a lot of things different from the core series but I like the ghosts and the first person sequences. SH4 also represents Team Silents last effort on the series and it seems like a lot of details from it inspired P.T. Hopefully if you passed up on 4 in the past you'll give it a shot now.

:cheerdoge:Here's the va's for James and Eddie doing lines from the game reversed or even as completely different characters
Guy Cihi also participated in a Let's Play of SH2. He's cool to listen to for his insight into the process but he is kind've a slow talker.
Silent Hills got canceled.

Silent Hill inspired a ton of knockoffs that might get covered later.

Resident Evil

Everyone has played a Resident Evil game at some point, usually it's one of the mainlines. Many were introduced by the excellent Resident Evil 4 which itself was a huge departure from the tanky controls of the previous 3 games. Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3 are all pretty well known and widely played. Resident Evil 1 saw a fairly faithful remake on the Gamecube that I really liked (essentially did what Twin Snakes did for MGS1). 5-6 are extremely action oriented and a bit ridiculous. Good fun played co-op. Resident Evil received a ton of non mainline games that vary pretty wildly in quality. On the low end is something like Operation Raccoon City and the on rails shooter Umbrella Chronicles (I've played both and they're terrible). On the other end there are a few games like the recently released Revelations 2 (PS3, PS4, 360, XBONE, STEAM: All Episodes are Released) which is excellent and a game I'd recommend though I don't think it was so hotly reviewed. It does a good job of being a co-op RE4-like.

Resident Evil 1-3 invented and perfected the tanky style of game play that lends a lot to what makes those games scary. They focus a lot more on the gory body horror style over any sort of psychological horror. The rest of the games are over the shoulder action shooters that are generally a lot less 'scary' but tend to be fun. Do not play 5 without a person playing with you. Best story in the biz

:siren: Capcom has confirmed that RE2 is getting a full HD remake. I couldn't find any info on it past the company confirming it. Additionally a Multi-Player focus Resident Evil, 'Umbrella Corps is slated for 2016. It'll probably be that mercs mode but the whole game.

Other Games

Penumbra
A series of games by Frictional Games. They play a whole lot like Amnesia and are pretty scary. Worth a look but Amnesia TDD is the pinnacle of these games.

Condemned
A first person horror game with visceral combat. I only really recall the Condemned 2 and I remember enjoying it. Best Bear sequence in any game.

FEAR
Fear 1 and 2 are each fairly scary but really shine with their gun play. The paranormal aspects of the game are pretty heavy rip-offs of Ju-On and might've been cooler when I was fourteen. Fear 3 is kinda silly.

Dead Space
Dead Space 1 is the closest you're going to get to System Shock 3. I believe that Dead Space 2 is the best of the series and worth a playthrough if you haven't played any of the series. Dead Space 3 goes the action route but features excellent co-op, weapon customization, and a really cool DLC chapter. I know I like DS3 more than most too. There's also an On-Rails shooter called Extraction (Wii, PS3) that's alright.

Alan Wake
Action Horror game produced by Max Payne creators Remedy. Interesting gimick to its combat but sort've bland third person combat. Goes on sale along with its DLC for cheap usually.

Siren
Siren isn't a classic but it's likely one of the scariest games I've ever played. Borrows from RE and SH while adding flavor of its own. Japanese villages are cursed by a blood rain that turns citizens into monsters very similar to the enemies from the more recent Evil Within game. There's a big focus on stealth and straying from combat altogether. You can currently play Siren: Blood Curse on PSNow.

-------
List threads are pretty garbage so I'd like to do something like the games you've beaten thread and challenge imps to pick a new or old horror game to play before October 31st! Or try convince other impzoners to play horror games you like. I'll make another post with newer horror games and the few I've selected to get through for October later. Happy October and play with the lights off!

Other Important Imp Zone Fall Threads

SOMA Thread
Fall Av thread

frank.club fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Please change the name of this forum to Pumpkin Hill.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Im scared of horror games. freakin, catherine, was too spooky for me.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

I.N.R.I posted:

Seriously. Dead Space 1 is about as spooky as I can get, and that game gives you lots of ways to defend yourself. I've never been able to play through a fatal frame or silent hill, but thankfully I had a good big brother to play them for me when I was a kid.

I still like them a lot for some horrible reason. Which is why for Spooktober I will try to playyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHKBJG-w5Q

The Director's Cut!

The aesthetic draws heavily from silent hill, with scenarios that play on your perception of reality, hellish dimensions, and an atmosphere that focuses more on dread than pure horror. Gameplay wise it's a two dimensional survival horror game with more of an emphasis on survival. You start in your room and attempt to explore your surroundings every day. In addition to actually advancing the plot and avoiding monsters, you have to keep an eye on your food supplies, equipment, and sanity. It's a tough balancing act, on top of an already tough survival horror experience, and when I first started playing I got stressed out and quit. These kinds of games where you can easily back yourself into an inevitable game over have always been really frustrating for me. But that's why it's the perfect candidate for spooky game month, the perfect time to exorcise your personal demons and be the best gamer you can be.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

condemned 1 is really good and doesnt rely on guns as heavily as 2. the feeling when you first try reload your pistol is epic. no bear scene though

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

trying to jack off posted:

condemned 1 is really good and doesnt rely on guns as heavily as 2. the feeling when you first try reload your pistol is epic. no bear scene though

what happens when you try to reload your pistol.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

rediscover posted:

what happens when you try to reload your pistol.

he lloks at how many bullets ar eleft in the gun. you normally waste half a clip getting scared at the first enemy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm am also scared of horror games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never played a fatal frame game, maybe I'll do that this month before the new one

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I have trouble playing spooker games unless my sweet, soft girlfriend is in the room to calm me down and laugh at my oopsies. :shobon:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Or, hell, just a friend in general. I've been playing SOMA and I like it alot

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

CoCDCotE for the loving win. Slowly going insane is cool.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarranon posted:

Seriously. Dead Space 1 is about as spooky as I can get, and that game gives you lots of ways to defend yourself. I've never been able to play through a fatal frame or silent hill, but thankfully I had a good big brother to play them for me when I was a kid.

I still like them a lot for some horrible reason. Which is why for Spooktober I will try to playyyy

The Director's Cut!

The aesthetic draws heavily from silent hill, with scenarios that play on your perception of reality, hellish dimensions, and an atmosphere that focuses more on dread than pure horror. Gameplay wise it's a two dimensional survival horror game with more of an emphasis on survival. You start in your room and attempt to explore your surroundings every day. In addition to actually advancing the plot and avoiding monsters, you have to keep an eye on your food supplies, equipment, and sanity. It's a tough balancing act, on top of an already tough survival horror experience, and when I first started playing I got stressed out and quit. These kinds of games where you can easily back yourself into an inevitable game over have always been really frustrating for me. But that's why it's the perfect candidate for spooky game month, the perfect time to exorcise your personal demons and be the best gamer you can be.

Lone Survivor is good but I'd recommend getting through it in as near as one sitting as possible. If you forget what you're doing you're boned.

In Training posted:

I've never played a fatal frame game, maybe I'll do that this month before the new one

The Wii remake of 2 is excellent but kinda tough.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alien: Isolation was my favorite horror game this past year

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've been meaning to finish Silent Hill 2 for a while now.

In Training posted:

Didn't know a new one was coming out. I need to redo 2 and get the better ending.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
silent hill 2 is my second favorite game of all time. siren blood curse is one of the best horror games ive ever played, so if you havent played it, i encourage you to give it a shot! halloween rules

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like pixel games with cute spooky skeletons and wolfmen etc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've never played a silent hill game so maybe I will. I was thinking about replaying Eternal Darkness too, I haven't played it since I was in high school.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My suggestion is play STALKER iron man style where you only shoot guns you picked up off the ground and you don't pick up ammo other than what's in the guns.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
OP you forgot to mention something important: do NOT purchase the Silent Hill HD Collection for PS3/360 because it isn't good.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Games with an autumnal feel are cool to. Rockstars Bully is great for this for the early to middle part. It has a wicked Halloween event as well. Costume Quest is also cool but maybe just get the dose of Doublefine charm and tap out if the gameplay isn't your bag

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 4, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

My suggestion is play STALKER iron man style where you only shoot guns you picked up off the ground and you don't pick up ammo other than what's in the guns.

There's a new mod out called Call of Chernobyl that puts together every map from every STALKER game and let's you pick a faction to start as. Includes an iron man mode too

Lumpy the Cook posted:

OP you forgot to mention something important: do NOT purchase the Silent Hill HD Collection for PS3/360 because it isn't good.

I gave it a little line in the Silent Hill section
I also tried to keep that list to stuff I've actually played. The word of mouth was so bad on the SHHD collection that I never got it.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

There's a new mod out called Call of Chernobyl that puts together every map from every STALKER game and let's you pick a faction to start as. Includes an iron man mode too

Whoa

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

every stalker mod is bad

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
You can get banned for saying stuff like that

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Modern Horror Games for the Season

There's been a lot of releases in the past few years of horror games. If you're looking for something to play this October try one of these!

Alien: Isolation(PS4,XBONE,STEAM)

This game is fantastic. You play as Amanda Ripley investigating a comms failure with the civilian station Svastapol. First Person survival horror that puts you against humans, androids, and the Xenomorph. This game is top to bottom excellent and pretty scary in many scenes. I've heard some complaints about its length, I have 30 hours into it total and about 15 were dedicated to beating the story mode initially. It never felt padded to me but some people didn't like that. If you haven't played it I'd recommend making this one of your games to beat.
:siren: Isolation has a ton of extra content DLC. Some are cool but extremely short (Nostromo) and some are actually kind of neat (the survive and gathering ones). If you liked the base game check out the latter if they're on sale!

Outlast(PS4, XBONE, STEAM/MACOS)

Outlast is a first person survival horror that is much like Amnesia in that you cannot attach the monsters and your 'light source' is limited to supplies you have to find. Where it differs is that this game adds a much more flowing movement and hiding system and this games version of the lantern, a camera with a nightvision mode, is used to great effect. It also does a good job of making recognizable and varied monsters for you to run from, though you'll still be hiding out from random nobodies often enough. Plot that goes stupid at the end and is pretty surprisingly graphic in a few spots.
:siren: Outlast got a story DLC, Whistleblower, that is just as good or better than the main game! If you beat Outlast think about picking that up!

The Evil Within(PS3,PS4,X360,XBONE, STEAM)

The Evil Within is a third person survival horror directed buy the dude who did Resident Evil 4(?). The game plays a lot like the first two hours of Resident Evil 4 but the whole game so I can see that. Excellent world design but there were some parts that were very frustrating to try and get through. That being said I felt this game is a little underrated and totally worth a look if you liked Resident Evil 4. I dunno how much this goes for any more but if it's around twenty dollars and you're interested you could do worse!
:siren:The Evil Within has DLC but I haven't played it!

Horror Games are too Scary for Me!
That's cool! It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a few scary games without having to jump into the deep end. Maybe a few of the following games will let you try something more intense.

Lone Survivor(STEAM)

Tarranon posted:

The Director's Cut!

Lone Survivor is a 2-D Silent Hill. My only gripe is that if you put the game down for any more than a week between play sessions you will forget what your objective was and the game will essentially become impossible to beat. Still recommended!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Series(STEAM)

STALKER is a series of three first person open world shooters that take place in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. They aren't strictly horror games but can for sure scratch that Spooktober itch. If you don't want to buy any of them right now you can play STALKER, LOST ALPHA which is :siren: completely free to to play :siren:! It's a remake of the first game in the third game's engine. If you own the third game (Call of Prypiat) then you can try out the new mod Call of Chernobyl which puts every map from all the games together in one game and let's you freeroam. There's a pretty big mod scene around all three games and you can usually pick them up for nothing in a bundle or for cheap on sale!

Metro: Series(STEAM, PS4, XBONE)

In the same vein as STALKER, it's basically a spiritual successor. However the gameplay is way way more refined and linear. Does atmosphere and tension almost perfectly. Metro: Last Light is one of the best first person shooters since Half Life 2, I'd say it's even better.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Isn't very good or scary. But you might appreciate it if you aren't looking for more intense horror!

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Evil WIthin was pretty good but not very scary.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've never played a silent hill game so maybe I will. I was thinking about replaying Eternal Darkness too, I haven't played it since I was in high school.

I watched my neighbor play through thta when i was a child. it scared me a lot and i had to hide my face

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rediscover posted:

I watched my neighbor play through thta when i was a child. it scared me a lot and i had to hide my face
I remember there being a couple of jump scares that definitely got me the first time I played it. I don't think I ever beat it since I got stuck on a boss.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

rediscover posted:

i was even scared of bowser as a tiny kid. but im not scared of him anymore ... i got over it in my teens. just kidding

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

frank.club posted:

Modern Horror Games for the Season

There's been a lot of releases in the past few years of horror games. If you're looking for something to play this October try one of these!

Alien: Isolation(PS4,XBONE,STEAM)

This game is fantastic. You play as Amanda Ripley investigating a comms failure with the civilian station Svastapol. First Person survival horror that puts you against humans, androids, and the Xenomorph. This game is top to bottom excellent and pretty scary in many scenes. I've heard some complaints about its length, I have 30 hours into it total and about 15 were dedicated to beating the story mode initially. It never felt padded to me but some people didn't like that. If you haven't played it I'd recommend making this one of your games to beat.
:siren: Isolation has a ton of extra content DLC. Some are cool but extremely short (Nostromo) and some are actually kind of neat (the survive and gathering ones). If you liked the base game check out the latter if they're on sale!

Outlast(PS4, XBONE, STEAM/MACOS)

Outlast is a first person survival horror that is much like Amnesia in that you cannot attach the monsters and your 'light source' is limited to supplies you have to find. Where it differs is that this game adds a much more flowing movement and hiding system and this games version of the lantern, a camera with a nightvision mode, is used to great effect. It also does a good job of making recognizable and varied monsters for you to run from, though you'll still be hiding out from random nobodies often enough. Plot that goes stupid at the end and is pretty surprisingly graphic in a few spots.
:siren: Outlast got a story DLC, Whistleblower, that is just as good or better than the main game! If you beat Outlast think about picking that up!

The Evil Within(PS3,PS4,X360,XBONE, STEAM)

The Evil Within is a third person survival horror directed buy the dude who did Resident Evil 4(?). The game plays a lot like the first two hours of Resident Evil 4 but the whole game so I can see that. Excellent world design but there were some parts that were very frustrating to try and get through. That being said I felt this game is a little underrated and totally worth a look if you liked Resident Evil 4. I dunno how much this goes for any more but if it's around twenty dollars and you're interested you could do worse!
:siren:The Evil Within has DLC but I haven't played it!

Horror Games are too Scary for Me!
That's cool! It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a few scary games without having to jump into the deep end. Maybe a few of the following games will let you try something more intense.

Lone Survivor(STEAM)

Lone Survivor is a 2-D Silent Hill. My only gripe is that if you put the game down for any more than a week between play sessions you will forget what your objective was and the game will essentially become impossible to beat. Still recommended!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Series(STEAM)

STALKER is a series of three first person open world shooters that take place in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. They aren't strictly horror games but can for sure scratch that Spooktober itch. If you don't want to buy any of them right now you can play STALKER, LOST ALPHA which is :siren: completely free to to play :siren:! It's a remake of the first game in the third game's engine. If you own the third game (Call of Prypiat) then you can try out the new mod Call of Chernobyl which puts every map from all the games together in one game and let's you freeroam. There's a pretty big mod scene around all three games and you can usually pick them up for nothing in a bundle or for cheap on sale!

Metro: Series(STEAM, PS4, XBONE)

In the same vein as STALKER, it's basically a spiritual successor. However the gameplay is way way more refined and linear. Does atmosphere and tension almost perfectly. Metro: Last Light is one of the best first person shooters since Half Life 2, I'd say it's even better.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Isn't very good or scary. But you might appreciate it if you aren't looking for more intense horror!

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I.N.R.I posted:

i was even scared of bowser as a tiny kid. but im not scared of him anymore ... i got over it in my teens. just kidding

im 15

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

after I finish Soma then I have to finally complete Silent Hill 2... the game is just so hosed up and I only play the first couple of hours and then drop it for ages. when I come back to it I start from the beginning and the cycle repeats itself. I also have Fatal Frame, either 1 or 2, gotta play that as well. i remember watching my cousin play 1 as a kid and it freaked me the gently caress out. gotta pull an all-nighter over a weekend this october and terrify myself to death with scary video games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's okay to pause in scary games to recoup. Just don't leave the pause screen on in Fatal Frame too long!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Big deal .. im even older than that

Soral
May 30, 2009

i was going to play until dawn but i am too cowardly so i watched someone else play it instead

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was gonna rent it out of redbox but the one in Walmart was out.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

every stalker mod is bad

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If I owned a gun I would shoot everyone who says to install mods in STALKER. Goodbye.

• Locked thread