Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OP blatantly stolen from Gutter Owl's thread.

CODENAMES. Vlaada Chvatil, not content with rebuilding Pictionary, turns his madness to Taboo. Of course it turned out loving brilliant, and now all the boardgoons wish they had friends to play it with. They don't, so I'm making a thread.

:siren:MISSION BRIEFING:siren:
TEAM BLUE :911:, the time has come. Your sleeper agents are in position, awaiting your orders. Your couriers must find and activate all of your agents before the commie bastards in TEAM RED :ussr: can activate their agents. You will know your agents by their Codenames. Of course, we cannot transmit these classified codenames to all agents, for fear of interception by the enemy.

Spymasters, you must guide your couriers to the correct agents through encrypted communications. Be careful not to mislead your agents into giving sensitive documents to ignorant bystanders--or worse, enemy agents. And we have word that a mysterious and deadly extremist lies in wait, ready to slaughter the agents of either side. We know this man only as THE ASSASSIN.

TEAM BLUE :911:, deploy to the field. AMERICA is counting on you. FREEDOM is counting on you.

(TEAM RED:ussr:, copy, paste, find-replace with THE MOTHERLAND and THE PROLETARIAT.)

:siren:RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:siren:
The full rules are here, but in brief:
  • Players are presented with a list of 25 words, representing CODENAMES of agents (or nicknames of complete randos, as the case may be)
  • Goons will be divided into two teams, RED and BLUE. Each team will have one Spymaster and three Couriers.
  • The Spymasters will know the "identity" of each word: Red, Blue, Bystander, or Assassin.
  • Spymasters will take turns giving clues to their Couriers. The clues must take the form of [WORD]: [NUMBER], e.g. "Anime: 4." Translated, this means "four of our words on the board are related to Anime."
  • Couriers will then select from the words on the board, at which point I and/or the Spymasters will reveal that word's alignment.
  • If the word matches your team, the Couriers may guess another word, up to [NUMBER] plus one. (You may stop guessing at any time and pass your turn if you wish. But you must guess at least one word every turn.)
  • If the word matches a bystander or the enemy team, your turn is over, and the opposing Spymaster takes his turn giving a clue.
  • (Revealing an enemy agent also functionally gives the enemy team a point--the agents don't care who reveals them.)
  • If a Courier ever selects the Assassin, the game immediately ends, and the Courier's team immediately loses the game.
  • First side to have all their agents revealed wins the game.

:siren:CRYPTOGRAPHER'S GUIDELINES:siren:
Spymasters must not violate any of the following rules.
  • Clues cannot contain words present on the game field. This includes partial words--TABLE is an illegal clue if TABLET is in play. (Note that "revealing" a word removes that word from play, making it a valid clue for other words later.)
  • You also cannot use variations or derivatives of the words on the field. If BROKEN is on the field, BREAKING or BREAKAGE are illegal.
  • Homophones are also illegal. If BREAK is on the field, BRAKE is not a valid clue.
  • Spymasters may only use English words. Foreign words are okay if they're common loanwords (like STRUDEL or SCHADENFREUDE or whatever).
  • Proper nouns and compound words are okay. NEW YORK, BARACK OBAMA. and SELF-DESTRUCT are all valid. You don't get to make up proper nouns out of whole cloth, though. SIR LUNAR SQUID is not a valid clue for MOON and OCTOPUS.
  • The second part of a clue (the number) cannot be itself a hint. CITRUS: 8 is not a valid clue for LEMON and OCTOPUS.
  • That said, the first part of a clue can be a letter or number, provided the letter or number is related to the meaning of the word, rather than the orthography. THREE: 2 is a valid clue for TRIANGLE and PENNY, but not JAW and EYE. X: 2 is a valid clue for RAY and FILE, but not EXACT and AXE.
  • Spymasters may not give any sort of extraneous communication in-thread, such as "This clue is a longshot, but..." Just say the loving clue and nothing but the clue.

If there is a dispute, I will ask the spymaster to explain their logic to me via PM. If I'm not satisfied by the explanation, I'll declare the clue INVALID. If a Spymaster gives an INVALID clue, that team's turn immediately ends, and the enemy Spymaster may reveal one of their agents on the board for free. I reserve the right to be as lenient or draconian as I drat well please.

Spymasters have a few special clues they can give. FEATHER: 0 is a valid clue, meaning "none of our words relate to feathers." Alternately, FEATHERS: UNLIMITED is also a valid clue. In either case, the team may guess as many words as they wish, until they guess a wrong word or pass the turn.

Also, for this thread, I'm engaging an optional rule: Rhyming clues are completely allowed. KNIGHT is a valid clue for FIGHT. Of course, Spymasters can't tell their Couriers that they're using a rhyming clue, however. Have fun with that.

:siren: SPECIAL THREAD RULES :siren:
In order to keep the thread moving, I'm implementing a time limit. A team has 24 hours from the timestamp of the spymaster's clue to make official guesses. After the 24 hour mark, you can keep guessing...but the enemy Spymaster may end your turn immediately by posting their own clue.

Likewise, Spymasters have exactly 48 hours after the enemy turn has ended (from a pass or a bad guess) to issue a clue. If they don't make the deadline, I will treat it as an invalid clue. (If a Spymaster has an extenuating circumstance, they can PM me.)

All game communication must be in the thread itself. Until game end, Spymasters may say nothing to their Couriers except clues. Couriers can say whatever the hell they want, but must do so in full view of the enemy team. The peanut gallery can cheer/mock as they like, but can't help either team.

Official clues and guesses should use this format: ## BODYPILLOW: 4 or ## GUESS ANIME. Bold, allcaps, with # signs. This makes it much easier for me to find when scanning pages of thread chatter.

:siren: SIGNUPS :siren:

I need eight players for the initial game. Signup by posting ## MISSION ACCEPTED below. Please specify which team you want (red/blue/don't care) to be on and what role you want (spymaster/courier/don't care). ADDENDUM: Please also specify whether or not you have PMs. You must have PMs enabled to be a Spymaster.

I intend to run multiple games so long as interest holds, so if you miss your chance, you'll be added to the queue for future games and/or substitutes as necessary.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

CURRENT GAME

BLUE TEAM :911:
OmegaGoo (spymaster)
burger time
Robust Laser
tofes

RED TEAM :china:
ETB (spymaster)
Ripley
Gutter Owl
Phi Fi Fo Fum

MISSION 1
MISSION 2

Queue
Chekans 3 16
Max Peck
Omega Goo
burger time (s)
Fat Turkey
silvergoose
rchandra

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 14, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I see you stole from the other queue. Will you continue doing that, or should we sign up separately here?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

I see you stole from the other queue. Will you continue doing that, or should we sign up separately here?

I'm starting with the old queue, but yeah, let's make our own from here on out.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Blue 2 reporting in.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Here but at work, might take a little time for my brain to engage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:china: RED TEAM STARTS :china:

Tail
Platypus
Box
Tooth
Maple
Undertaker
England
Loch Ness
Plot
Lap
Code
Washer
Port
Africa
Amazon
Flute
Thief
Swing
Bill
Fork
Trunk
Nail
Glass
Cricket
King

All PMs have been sent; once the red couriers all check in, we can get started.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gently caress yeah, and I can't completely ruin everything (unless I demand to pick the assassin). ##red courier checking in

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

##MISSION ACCEPTED

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I await Comrade Bon Hair before performing my duties for Mother Russia. Gives me time to think!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
##Mission Accepted

I believe in miracles!

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I'm heeeere. Let's go team blue.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
## MISSION ACCEPTED . I think I'm due.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

## MISSION ACCEPTED . I think I'm due.

Putting you at the top of the queue.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
##MISSION ACCEPTED

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
##MISSION ACCEPTED, red spymaster requested

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I checked in in the other thread by mistake.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
##Blue Courier checking in

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl, do you want to sub in for BonHair to get this thing going?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Have I been banned from the queue or what?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
No thanks, I'd rather wait for next game. Need a couple days of game cooldown after a big convention this weekend.

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010
##MISSION ACCEPTED

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

tofes posted:

Have I been banned from the queue or what?

Some Numbers posted:

I'm starting with the old queue, but yeah, let's make our own from here on out.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

I thought I was in the old queue!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I took the first 8 people on the old queue and now we're starting a new one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Red 5 standing by!

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Yeah, I'll jump in line for a new thread.

## MISSION ACCEPTED for glorious Team Red. As a courier, as I don't have PMs.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
All Commies present and accounted for!

##COFFIN 2

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Undertaker is pretty drat certain I think. Box and nail seem fitting, with box being more likely?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Immediate thoughts: undertaker is the obvious choice; I could go for either box (because a coffin is a fancy box) or nail (because of the expression).

fake edit: I'd've thought nail was more likely, but at the same time I thought of box first. :shrug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just figure that a coffin being a kind of box makes the link that much stronger, but I thought of nail first too. I'll let you guys pull the trigger though.

##GUESS UNDERTAKER

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think box over nail.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

I guess if I were trying to clue both "undertaker" and "box" I might go with "heavyweight" :v: But I'm comfortable with box if you guys are.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Max Peck posted:

I guess if I were trying to clue both "undertaker" and "box" I might go with "heavyweight" :v: But I'm comfortable with box if you guys are.

I am sad that I have not yet seen a wrestling clue for Undertaker :(

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

BonHair posted:

I just figure that a coffin being a kind of box makes the link that much stronger, but I thought of nail first too. I'll let you guys pull the trigger though.

##GUESS UNDERTAKER

UNDERTAKER is red! You have two guesses remaining.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

##GUESS BOX

And I guess in case that's right, passing is the sensible choice

##PASS

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blue Team, you're up!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
England, Africa, and Amazon are probably the strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Loch Ness could be one too.

• Locked thread