Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haikyu!! is a cool as hell sports manga about volleyball with a loving gorgeous Production I.G. anime adaptation. Compared to other sports series it has 30X SHOUTING, 40X BROODING, and 50X FIGHTING SPIRIT. It is a very powerful anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGHh7wNGKk

Season 2 is about building the team after the events of season 1, gaining EXPERIENCE and CONFIDENCE and a second cute girl manager.

First season and the new episodes are on Crunchyroll!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched the first season top cap off a trio of sports anime (Yowamushi Pedal and Baby Steps being the other two) and I have to say while it's a slow start because it's relatively down to Earth in terms of characterization and action, once the whole cast is introduced they've got a great group dynamic

And maybe more than that

IG really animates the gently caress out of all that volleyball

Episode 1 of Season 2 ended on a really awesome moment for Hinata. Hopefully the Super 1st Year Bros. can live up to that high spot once they actually start playing volleyball again.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I've been waiting for this all year! :hellyeah:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So exciting! The first episode was fantastic. So many good moments, when I'm not phone posting I'll dig up some gifs now that we have a place for posting them (thanks for making the thread!)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Haikyu is here to ~nice save~ the season.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Thank god this is back, I've been slowly wasting away from a lack of hotblooded passion lately

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I made do between seasons with Kuroko's Basketball but Haikyu!! is the superior sport show imo.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Finished watching Chihayafuru recently (god I hope that gets another season soon), so I'm glad to see Haikyu's back to fill in the sports anime void for me. Excellent first episode! Will have to get used to not being able to binge the whole season like I did with S1, though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Great first episode.
Very good animation, buildup already for the rivals, fun moments, etc.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Turin Turambar posted:

Great first episode.
Very good animation, buildup already for the rivals, fun moments, etc.

I need a webm of the training scenes at the very beginning, especially the final cut.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
gif time

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

The music cutting off during this scene was pretty great.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh man, I'm glad these dumb volleyball boys are back and as dumb as ever!! This show is so good, everyone is so likeable or endearingly jerky!!

Probably the only negative is that I'm still kind of lukewarm on the OP/ED but whatever, Haikyuu is still really fun!! :tem:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i cant wait to meet this coach!!!!!!!!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

lol

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'm so glad this is back. With Baby Steps having finished last season, I needed something to fill my sports anime itch.

This is already looking to be extremely good!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With the hype this show was getting in the season thread, I decided to check out the first season to see what the fuss was about. And I am now incredibly angry because who devotes 5 episodes to a single match only to have the team lose at the end!!? And then they almost trick me into thinking the third years were going to quit as well! :argh:

I haven't even watched the first ep of season 2 yet, but I am super hyped for more volleyball. They better loving win this time though. :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

With the hype this show was getting in the season thread, I decided to check out the first season to see what the fuss was about. And I am now incredibly angry because who devotes 5 episodes to a single match only to have the team lose at the end!!?

SPORTS ANIME!!!

Description of an infamious episode of the late 1960s adaptaion of the baseball manga Star of the Giants, from Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements. The entire episode consists of one pitch and one hit:

quote:

[The episode] builds the tension on the pitcher’s mound, as the pitcher draws back his arm and throws the ball. Exploiting the potentially infinite camera positions available to animators, the script zooms in and out of multiple perspectives — the inner monologue of the pitcher himself and the calculating throughs of the batter he faces; the commentary of the excitable journalists in the outside-broadcast booth; viewers at home yelling at the television; fans in the bleachers; team members on both sides; the pitchers father and dewey-eyed love interest. Coupled with shots of the arena, sudden zooms and splitscreen effects, flashbacks and voiceovers, the sequence occupies the entire first half of the episode, cutting to the commercial break just as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. After the commercials, the episode continues with a similar hyperreal deformation of time, pursuing the ball’s trajectory towards the batter, the bat’s connection with the ball, and the frenzy of action among both teams as the batter hits a homerun.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i cant wait to meet this coach!!!!!!!!

Not a coach.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Not a coach.

you're right she is my wife

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For one second I thought they were in the Silver Spoon school.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

With the hype this show was getting in the season thread, I decided to check out the first season to see what the fuss was about. And I am now incredibly angry because who devotes 5 episodes to a single match only to have the team lose at the end!!? And then they almost trick me into thinking the third years were going to quit as well! :argh:

I haven't even watched the first ep of season 2 yet, but I am super hyped for more volleyball. They better loving win this time though. :colbert:

Because if they would have to win just because they are the protagonists it would get boring pretty fast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Because if they would have to win just because they are the protagonists it would get boring pretty fast.

But they tried their hardest and grew as people and volleyball players. And they deserved to win. :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But they tried their hardest and grew as people and volleyball players. And they deserved to win. :(

So did Aoba Johsai!

Our boys still the spring tournament to really make their team work together so don't worry about it!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm used to sports anime and manga giving the team a huge loss their first time around, so I would actually be more surprised if they had won. It's kind of a cliche actually, and that the show was able to turn that loss into some of their best episodes just shows how good this series is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If they didn't lose sometimes how would we have great scenes like them eating with tears pouring down their faces?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah! Never really expected them to win, especially since they were still feeling each other out mid-match (looking at you, king) but drat if those episodes weren't still fantastic.

I hope we get a little of the girls squad this season too, the episode they got knocked out was powerful

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

If they didn't lose sometimes how would we have great scenes like them eating with tears pouring down their faces?

That was so good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I got very invested in the struggles of a high school volleyball team, okay. :colbert:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

That was so good.

I cried so much lol

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The episode in the first season where the girl team loses and gets all sad...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

It's a good episode. I cried.

I'd watch a series about Karasuno's women's volleyball team.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

K. Flaps posted:

I cried so much lol

That episode and I think episode 21/22 when they're all rallying around the third year setter and Kageyama is learning the power the friendship and all that, they ruined me.

Knorth fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

:smith:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
VIZ picked up the Haikyuu!! manga

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sports manga is cool now.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Sports manga has always been cool. Glad to hear it's getting picked up!

The first episode was seriously good. I haven't watched Haikyuu in awhile though, so I'm probably going to rewatch the first season when I have the time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sports manga is cool now.

When was sports manga ever not cool?

• Locked thread