Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're gonna adapt a sports manga on MTV, it's that cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sure was lots of high school and not much volley ball this time. But it was okay because it had new manager girl and lots of Hinata being Hinata.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New manager is so good and adds so much. I want an entire show about Tanaka's sister.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Devil Tesla posted:

New manager is so good and adds so much. I want an entire show about Tanaka's sister.

:yeah: Her freaking out over the Shimizu fan club assassins was fantastic!

All the side characters are super great! It's kind of amazing that they have a cast this large and still manage to keep them all likeable, even the 'too intense about winning jerkface' characters are endearing dorks. I really like that this episode gave Shimizu something more to do and emphasised that she fits in with the team even if she doesn't play or coach. Also, Tsukishima shutting down the other two's idea of studying during class was funny!

This shows has terrific faces! :tem:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 11, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

I would watch a sports anime about Taiko.

Anyway, new girl is indeed pretty cool. I like the support team in the show a lot in general. The teacher and coach are cool and so are the managers. I just kinda hope we get some backstory on why Shimizu is manager, it can't just be because she likes volleyball because otherwise she'd be in the female team. So it'd be cool to know why she's stuck with team so long.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
NEE-SAN IS HERE

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I died before the opening even started. That whole sequence killed me.

For an episode with relatively little sports action it looked really good, too.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2015

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I think my only concern at this point is that the nekoma training camp may end up being a large part of the series without progress into the spring tournament? I don't follow the manga at all so I have no idea if that's the case, but based on the number of games they played in the first season, just this first unexpected practice match plus the training camp is pretty much a full 24 episode series...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

genki posted:

I think my only concern at this point is that the nekoma training camp may end up being a large part of the series without progress into the spring tournament? I don't follow the manga at all so I have no idea if that's the case, but based on the number of games they played in the first season, just this first unexpected practice match plus the training camp is pretty much a full 24 episode series...

I don't think these games are going to be as long as the 5 episode Aoba johsai match. Up until the tournament most games only took one or two episodes so the training camp really shouldn't take more than half the season.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yachi's mom's coworker calling her out (repeatedly) was pretty great. I'm glad the mom was given that bit of characterization so she didn't end up looking quite so heinous.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep, my first thought was also "yet another lovely anime mom" but turns out she's just okay, overworked (divorced?) perhaps, and forgetting where she once was herself. But definitely wanting to help her daughter.

On something else, the OP and ED of this season just aren't working for me. They're just kinda boring.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The OP has grown on me, ED still feels kinda boring.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Good mom, good shouting, good episode

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This show is still really good at making Volleyball look like the coolest drat sport ever.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Where can I buy that poster Yachi makes?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Devil Tesla posted:

Good mom, good shouting, good episode

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This show is still really good at making Volleyball look like the coolest drat sport ever.

nielsm posted:

Where can I buy that poster Yachi makes?

:agreed: !!!

How is everyone on this show so wonderful?! The new characters they've been introducing (plus Shimizu, since they're really only now giving her something to do) are so great and likeable, oh my god!

Also, the scene where Hinata sees the poster got me pretty emotional :kimchi:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Knorth posted:

:agreed: !!!

How is everyone on this show so wonderful?! The new characters they've been introducing (plus Shimizu, since they're really only now giving her something to do) are so great and likeable, oh my god!

Speaking of new characters, whoa hold on, is that clip after the end credits what appears to be the real Little Giant? I forget, was that in the manga?

e: oh wait never mind, it was in the manga as a flashback

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 18, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It is very cool, you should play it some time.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm so glad this series is back, I didn't even know more episodes were airing until a couple hours ago. I'm so excited to see how the training camp is handled!

Knorth posted:

Same, same!!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

offscreen the boys are taking off their shirts. i think we know why kiyoko is the manager now :mrgw:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

also i am fairly certain CR is just trolling at this point

how does this happen?

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

how does this happen?

Yeah. The scores are the other way around in the manga. Dunno how that happened in the anime.

Poke fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 19, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

how does this happen?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

knowing who has won the volleyballs match or who is winning the match isnt at all an important part of this show.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
How do they keep doing this.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
New episode is out.

Saeko-neesan is best neesan.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a good episode, some dumb boys playing volleyball in it :) but man, I'm pretty excited for next week, I hope Hinata doesn't get a big head about being an Ace-In-Points though

that Little Giant seems like an intense guy

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

bae

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Saeko-baesan

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

:mrgw:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

thank you based crunchyroll for these amazing subs. $13/month

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

someone avenge me for when i have a massive aneurysm and die because of how bad these subs are

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read so much barely-translated manga that I honestly don't even notice how poo poo the subs are until you point it out. It's garbage when they can't get the scoreboards right though.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I'm pretty sure I understand enough conversational* Japanese at this point that I'm only glancing at the subs for unusual words.

Edit: *anime conversational.

CuLT fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They got a scoreboard right this time. Small victories.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
High quality Hinata gets intimidated in front of the bathroom scene this episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

someone avenge me for when i have a massive aneurysm and die because of how bad these subs are

They have worse grammar than I do.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Wait... so is 40 a passing grade in Japan? I don't understand. I've always seen the super low single digit/teens scores on tests and just assumed they were cartoonish exaggerations.

thank you based crunchyroll for these amazing subs. $13/month

I think the translator fell asleep halfway through and woke up with 20 minutes left for the deadline and just had to wing it... the first half was decent but then suddenly there was like 20 mistakes as bad as that within a five minute period.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Wait... so is 40 a passing grade in Japan? I don't understand. I've always seen the super low single digit/teens scores on tests and just assumed they were cartoonish exaggerations.

Well, 40% is certainly a pass at University level, A-Level and GCSE in the UK, although it's considered the barest minimum for a pass. A C grade (60%) is generally seen as what you should be aiming for, at least at GCSE.

• Locked thread