Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh my god! What an intense episode! I am basically Yachi tearing up after the fight, jesus

Between the tall newbie being a goof and little scene with Kenma teaching him about read blocks, Nekoma was as adorable as ever!

I am so ready for Hinata to level the heck up! Ahhh, I don't want to wait!

e. the ED has kind of grown on me, it's not particularly memorable but it's a nice come down track :)

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show keeps coming up with more and more ways for Hinata to get injured by his own stupidity. I fully support this.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Honestly, this might be my favourite show this season! Hinata's earnestness when he was talking to the old Ukai was pretty overwhelming, Kageyama and Oikawa both being dorks :3:, the flashbacks to the fight were really goofy and made me laugh... argh :tem:

I really need to be watching more sports anime considering how much stuff like the whole training montage/self-improvement part of this episode got to me :cry: :unsmith:

also, LOL at that last shot of Hinata

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really liked the training montage and I am happy everyone on the team was shown improving and learning new stuff. It's one of the things I really like about sports anime, and i'm psyched to see how they do in training camp part 2.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

every episode is so good

Knorth posted:

I really need to be watching more sports anime considering how much stuff like the whole training montage/self-improvement part of this episode got to me :cry: :unsmith:
watch and read ookiku furikabutte

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
For some reason I thought coach Ukai was going to be a mean-old-bastard type of dude. I should have known this show was better than that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He's a nice old bastard instead.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's an offseason practice episode about the lovely rear end in a top hat character and Haikyu can still give me chills. I love this show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So looks like we're entering the Tsukishima gets an attitude adjustment arc. I was expecting him to be more prominent in season 1 so it's cool to see him finally get some focus because honestly he was one of the less important members of the team.

Also, I like how despite Karasuno losing every game they've played at the training camp none of the other teams are making fun of them or talking down to them, which is not what I expected. Instead everyone just seems to be becoming friends, which is nice. :3:

Dick Spacious
Jun 7, 2014

by zen death robot

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Dammit, I came here just to post that.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
It was the best part of the episode. Everyone came here to post that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Goddamn it, I love everyone in this show :kimchi: :love: Everything is perfect

That's all :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The tall people house of problems and "when did you become so cool", an good episode.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I just watched every episode of this show in two days, haven't gone through a show at this rate since Gurren Lagann I think. Show good.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Another good ep. I'm looking forward to next week - looks like it'll be a match episode (its been a while!).

Also the barbecue hype is real.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Hocus Pocus posted:

Another good ep. I'm looking forward to next week - looks like it'll be a match episode (its been a while!).

Also the barbecue hype is real.

:agreed: Seriously.

I'm really excited for next week, cannot wait to see some of their practising pay off for them. Also, everyone continues to be delightful :3:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Can't wait for the next one either.

Man, I guess I never listened to the ending theme before, but I actually really like it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/

This is good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh man that is super cute

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

That's really cute!

I'm only halfway through the new episode and I'm already an emotional mess, christ :unsmith: This is a good episode!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The best part about the new quick finally working is that it's largely thanks to barbecue.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The funniest thing about the new "quick", as it's explained, is that it should be significantly slower than the previous quick.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Shakugan posted:

The funniest thing about the new "quick", as it's explained, is that it should be significantly slower than the previous quick.
I'm not sure that's true though. The speed of the toss from kageyama is the same, it's just the spin he's putting on it to make sure it drops at the point of impact. I suppose technically the speed has to be a little slower due to the spin, but in the context of the game, I'm not sure I'd call it significantly slower. The point is that hinata has a chance to decide where to spike the ball instead of having to do a full swing without regard for where the ball should go.

Also I liked how nekoyama's setter talked about how it would be so exhausting to keep up with hinata... never thought about it that way but in retrospect, hinata is actually almost more demanding than kageyama.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was the coolest toss and the coolest spike and everyone is friends again now and all their hard work is paying off and Goddamn that episode owned. I am very happy that this volleyball team has levelled up and are beginning to kick some rear end.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That was the coolest toss and the coolest spike and everyone is friends again now and all their hard work is paying off and Goddamn that episode owned. I am very happy that this volleyball team has levelled up and are beginning to kick some rear end.

:yeah:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone is so happy. :kimchi:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

genki posted:

I'm not sure that's true though. The speed of the toss from kageyama is the same, it's just the spin he's putting on it to make sure it drops at the point of impact.

To make it drop at the point of impact, he must be throwing it significantly less hard so the arc peaks at Hinata, because that's how projectiles work. The spin has an effect to be sure, but not enough that anyone could achieve the trajectory as shown in the episode without throwing the ball so it travels considerably slower than it did before. So while Hinata has more time in the air to make a decision on how to hit, it would also be much clearer to the opposing team what's going on.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Shakugan posted:

To make it drop at the point of impact, he must be throwing it significantly less hard so the arc peaks at Hinata, because that's how projectiles work. The spin has an effect to be sure, but not enough that anyone could achieve the trajectory as shown in the episode without throwing the ball so it travels considerably slower than it did before. So while Hinata has more time in the air to make a decision on how to hit, it would also be much clearer to the opposing team what's going on.
I feel like you might be overestimating how hard he could do the pinpoint toss before. It's not like it was a bullet or something.

Also practically speaking, it's anime, so it doesn't have to be based in reality. So there.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

genki posted:

I feel like you might be overestimating how hard he could do the pinpoint toss before. It's not like it was a bullet or something.

When they've shown the trajectory of the past toss, they show it not lowering at all, implying it was crazy fast.

quote:

Also practically speaking, it's anime, so it doesn't have to be based in reality. So there.

You got me here though :P

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

This show is so good :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:tem: This episode was really goooood! :cry: Argh, everything in this show gets to me at this point :unsmith:

Liked the opponents, really liked seeing all Karasuno's practice pay off smoothly for at least one match and may have snorted out loud at Kiyoko's banana comment

*dies*

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know a team with one super tall dude in it doesn't really seem that threatening after beating a team that filled with super tall dudes last season, before they all had a training arc. I know they were not quite two meters tall, but still.

Edit: Also,

Tanaka is the best. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 20, 2015

linall
Feb 1, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You know a team with one super tall dude in it doesn't really seem that threatening after beating a team that filled with super tall dudes last season, before they all had a training arc. I know they were not quite two meters tall, but still.

Right? As much as I always like the Karasuno has gotten stronger and looks super impressive in their first match, it would be a nice lampshade to have them destroy this team too. I know it'll be all about Shoyo trying to beat him in the air, which should be great, but the game doesn't need to be on the line. I'm sure it will be though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hinata being meeting someone intimidating on the way to the bathroom is a recurring scene in the series, please discuss the deep symbolism.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

even the scariest people gotta poo poo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hinata being meeting someone intimidating on the way to the bathroom is a recurring scene in the series, please discuss the deep symbolism.

The scariest things always exist in the toilet.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Me watching the levelled up Karasuno being underestimated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Hocus Pocus posted:

Me watching the levelled up Karasuno being underestimated

:yeah:

Oh, when does Haikyuu start back up? Or did I miss an episode because I am bad at TV

• Locked thread