Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With the hype this show was getting in the season thread, I decided to check out the first season to see what the fuss was about. And I am now incredibly angry because who devotes 5 episodes to a single match only to have the team lose at the end!!? And then they almost trick me into thinking the third years were going to quit as well! :argh:

I haven't even watched the first ep of season 2 yet, but I am super hyped for more volleyball. They better loving win this time though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Because if they would have to win just because they are the protagonists it would get boring pretty fast.

But they tried their hardest and grew as people and volleyball players. And they deserved to win. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

If they didn't lose sometimes how would we have great scenes like them eating with tears pouring down their faces?

I got very invested in the struggles of a high school volleyball team, okay. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

The episode in the first season where the girl team loses and gets all sad...

It's a good episode. I cried.

I'd watch a series about Karasuno's women's volleyball team.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sports manga is cool now.

When was sports manga ever not cool?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

New manager is so good and adds so much. I want an entire show about Tanaka's sister.

I would watch a sports anime about Taiko.

Anyway, new girl is indeed pretty cool. I like the support team in the show a lot in general. The teacher and coach are cool and so are the managers. I just kinda hope we get some backstory on why Shimizu is manager, it can't just be because she likes volleyball because otherwise she'd be in the female team. So it'd be cool to know why she's stuck with team so long.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

genki posted:

I think my only concern at this point is that the nekoma training camp may end up being a large part of the series without progress into the spring tournament? I don't follow the manga at all so I have no idea if that's the case, but based on the number of games they played in the first season, just this first unexpected practice match plus the training camp is pretty much a full 24 episode series...

I don't think these games are going to be as long as the 5 episode Aoba johsai match. Up until the tournament most games only took one or two episodes so the training camp really shouldn't take more than half the season.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This show is still really good at making Volleyball look like the coolest drat sport ever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really liked the training montage and I am happy everyone on the team was shown improving and learning new stuff. It's one of the things I really like about sports anime, and i'm psyched to see how they do in training camp part 2.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So looks like we're entering the Tsukishima gets an attitude adjustment arc. I was expecting him to be more prominent in season 1 so it's cool to see him finally get some focus because honestly he was one of the less important members of the team.

Also, I like how despite Karasuno losing every game they've played at the training camp none of the other teams are making fun of them or talking down to them, which is not what I expected. Instead everyone just seems to be becoming friends, which is nice. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was the coolest toss and the coolest spike and everyone is friends again now and all their hard work is paying off and Goddamn that episode owned. I am very happy that this volleyball team has levelled up and are beginning to kick some rear end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone is so happy. :kimchi:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know a team with one super tall dude in it doesn't really seem that threatening after beating a team that filled with super tall dudes last season, before they all had a training arc. I know they were not quite two meters tall, but still.

Edit: Also,

Tanaka is the best. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 20, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hinata being meeting someone intimidating on the way to the bathroom is a recurring scene in the series, please discuss the deep symbolism.

The scariest things always exist in the toilet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yachi's my favourite character. :allears:

How was she only introduced this season? She fits in so perfectly it's like she's always been around.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Maybe you missed this one because of the holidays - Episode 13 - they play against a school with a 2m tall guy. It aired two days ago I think? I'm pretty sure Haikyu is continuing into next season, which is great because its the most consistently fun show I'm watching.

Since last episode had a next episode preview and everything I can't see it not continuing into next season. Other than maybe a week break or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

She's basically an audience insert. She reacts to the team the same way you did when you started the series.

That look she has in the intro when she sees the team playing volleyball for the first time is how I look every time they play a match.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

NEW TOURNAMENT GET HYPE

So how long do you think the next game is going to take? No major characters in the opponents yet, so my guess is three episodes.

I'm guessing two episodes. This feels like the first actually competitive match Karasuno will face but these guys haven't really been built up to enough for me to think they'll be around for long.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I got really behind and am still watching the first half of the season but one thing I've really liked about the training/growth stuff is that it isn't just about the players. Ukai showing his coaching inexperience, getting owned by his grandpa, and growing as a coach were all great.

:yeah:

I think this season has been really good for the support team. Ukai has got to do a bit more stuff with the introduction of his grandfather and also going into his own volleyball experience to give advice to Kageyama and Tsukishima, and Takeda has been in top form encouraging the kids and his gear metaphor for the end of the training camp was really cool. Of course the best part was the introduction of Yachi, who is the greatest. She also seems to be getting some focus in growing as a manager like in the latest episode when she was handling Hinata and Kageyama and i'm very invested in it because she owns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not super keen on this match. It seems more focused on the Jouzenji guys so far than Karasuno, which isn't super interesting but maybe it'll pick up next week. The manager girl was cool though.

Also, I like how the super tall guy from Date is friends with Hinata. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, the Johzenji match ended rather quickly, I know Karasuno had only like 5 more points left till victory but it was still pretty sudden. I also wasn't too high on that match, it focused way more on the opponents than Karasuno and while at the end I did end up thinking the Johzenji dudes were pretty alright i'm a little disappointed we didn't get much out of the main characters. Like, Suga came back to set for a bit last episode which should be a really big deal since he's rarely on the field but it lasted like two minutes and didn't get too much focus. :(

On the other hand this next match seems to be starting well, setting up an obvious matchup between Hinata and the Wakunan captain for whoever will be the successor to the little giant. And also setting up Karasuno to being at a disadvantage with Wakunan playing like Nekoma and making it out to be a battle of the captains only for Daichi to be taken out soon after. Speaking of I hope he's ok. :ohdear:

Also, Aone and Hinata's confrontation and Yachi high-fiving the second years. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

I love Yachi so much. I am her in every episode where she is watching a game.

Yachi's the best and I don't know if I can ever watch season 1 again just because something will feel missing without her around. She's the greatest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was not expecting the Ennoshita backstory episode. It's cool though that this episode was mainly focused on some of the less prevalent members of Karasuno. I'm liking this match.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He got 2 points from his serves and won Karasuno the set. :)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TEHJOE posted:

Bit confused about the timeline but it may just be plotline jank.

Karasuno's oft mentioned glory days happened at least a few years back and they presumptively settled into somewhat of a lull to the point that the vice principal almost destroyed the team. In the last episode we learned that Ukai Sr. is only one year removed from coaching due to his hospitalization.

Feels like there is a missing beat.

Ukai Sr returned after a few years of retirement to coach the team but after a few weeks he was forced to retire again anyway before he could really whip Karasuno into shape. So he wasn't really able to pull the team out of its funk.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, interesting. Looks like The Losers the title was referring to were Ennoshita and Yamaguchi (and Nakashima, but he actually lost), I hope they all get out of their funk soon. Although at the very least it's likely yamaguchi will redeem himself in the Seijou rematch to make up for his bad debut against them last season.

Also, that was a really enjoyable match. A lot better than the Johzenji one. It focused more on Karasuno and gave them a lot of cool moments but still made me feel sorry for the Wakunan team as well. And then after next week it'll probably be another 6 episode long Karasuno vs Seijou match. They better loving win this time or else i'm going to cry. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone is so proud of Yamaguchi. :kimchi: But Seijoh took the set anyway. :(

Karasuno better Goddamn win this time. I don't think I could take another loss.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THEY DID IT!!!!!! :dance:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shakugan posted:

If Kageyama loses track of people as they are playing and doesn't notice they aren't keeping up, I'm not sure why we're supposed to believe he's a better setter than Oikawa who's constantly analysing where everyone is going and what they're doing, and is apparently the best at maximizing a teams potential, regardless of how often he's played setter for them (compared to Kageyama who has to practise with a team and specific people a hell of a lot to be effective). Kageyama is very slightly more accurate at throwing the ball? Eh.

The obsession with "genius" in anime is always kinda weird.

We're not supposed to think Kageyama is better. Every time it's brought up Kageyama says Oikawa is better than him and even this match Kageyama has said he might never catch up.

Thing is though, Kags is just a first year who can still beat Oikawa in some aspects. A dude who is two years his senior and has basically been the best setter in all the tournaments he's participated in. And Oikawa is scared that eventually he'll lose, that one day Kags will definitively beat him and he won't be able to stop him due to a simple difference in talent. Because you can be sure that Oikawa was not as good as Kageyama was in his first year and that even with a two year difference they competed very evenly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everything about that final point is Fantastic! :swoon:

Best part is it goes right with what Oikawa was saying about the team with the strongest six being the winners.

Suga serves, sets and receives in that final play to keep the ball alive.
Daichi and Tanaka work together to get the ball back in play after Oikawa and Iwaizumi's absurd super long range combination.
Asahi hits a spike from the other end of the court that is blocked right into the net and almost ends the game right there
And then Hinata and Kageyama do their quick to get past a 3 man-block in the exact same vein of what stopped them in the last Seijoh match. But thanks to their training and new toss they get it around the block and barely past Oikawa.

Every member of Karasuno on the field is essential to getting that last point and it loving owns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad Yachi is getting recognised as being very helpful. :3:

Also, this was a good season of Volleyball anime. I welcome Volleyball hell's return later this year and I am hella psyched for the final Match!!! Though i'll have probably read the manga by then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sleepy bus! Tender moments between sensei and coach! Chesty hugs w/ ne-san! The ladies team shows up for a cool moment! Saying "good evening" to the tv for some reason! Late night ball tossin! This episode has something 4 everyone!

Ukai and Takeda should kiss imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Slugnoid posted:

Oh well there's that then. When did it say his age or is that in the manga?

We know he was playing only 3-4 years ago because Hinata got into playing volleyball from seeing a match of his, and he only started in middle school. Which was like 4 years ago. Also, the Little Giant went to school with Saeko who has gotten an age, and it doesn't match with Takeda's.

Edit: It also wouldn't make much sense because early on Takeda didn't know all the rules of volleyball and needed to study up on them. Which kinda suggests he was not a player.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am hyped for more volleyball!!!

This is only a 10 episode season though, right? Probably for the best if they're just doing the Shiratorizawa match. Hopefully it won't be too stretched out. They did the Seijoh match in 4 eps and this one took about twice as long in the manga so it shouldn't be too bad if they have an episode or two for before and after the match.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This match has a big fight feel. In some ways even more so than the Seijoh match. Shiratorizawa's cheer team and the television crews give it a bit of a different atmosphere than usual.

I'm hype for Karasuno winning and becoming the champs!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Set 1 done. With pretty much all of it dedicated to showing Ushiwaka to be a god drat monster. I like how despite Hinata having the personal beef with Ushijima, it's Tsuki and Noya who are being set up as the lynchpins to stopping him. Hopefully the rest of the team gets good focus as well.

Also, it's almost impressive how consistently Crunchryroll gets the scoreboard wrong. I used to not notice it, but when there's so little points like at the start of the 2nd set, it's kinda obvious.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tendou is kinda a scary guy. It's interesting that Shiratorizawa's blocks have been getting a lot of focus, considering the match was hyped up around them having the best spiker in high school. Ushijima's still a monster though, breaking Yamaguchi's spirits like that. :(

Looks like Tsuki's in the zone now as well. This looks like it's going to be his time show his stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They hypest of blocks happened this episode and i'm still pumped from it.

Also, I hope Tsukishima gives Hinata his hi-five at some point this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Knorth posted:

Heck yeah Hinata!!

A powerful Senpai. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arcanen posted:

I don't know if it's the anime's pacing, or the reality of a 5 set match meaning that Karasuno have to be winning a bunch of sets, but... Shiratorizawa kind of suck?

We have an entire season of this match, and yeah, they just don't seem all that the have been made out to be, and it feels like a big part of that is the editing. Ushiwaka was made out to be an absolute monster, but since (as of halfway through the season) he never really talks or gives as a narrated POV (which is bizarre, since we keep getting them for the rest of Shiratorizawa) I'm not really feeling the impact of that.

Regarding the flashback at the beginning, it's kind of odd. Mainly because it makes Coach Ukai seem like a gigantic rear end in a top hat who completely abandoned Karasuno, only to be paying attention again now that they are winning under the tutelage of someone else. He has his volleyball training center thing, so it's not like he got too old to do the job? I wish we had some context after 3 seasons for why he left.

It's also kind of odd that people are like "Woah, whoa, who are these Karasuno people that are good?!". Wouldn't playing in (winning?) nationals be something that impacted Karasuno's reputation among the characters in this series?

tbf, if this was a traditional 3 set match Shiratorizawa would have already won. And the 1st set Karasuno won they were at a deuce up until point 30. Which is pretty crazy.

But yeah, as others have said the Ukai thing has already been explained. Dude had to leave the team like 4-5 years ago or whatever due to illness, came back for like a month the previous year when Tanaka and Noya were 1st years and then was forced to retire again. Presumably his thing now where he's sorta giving tips to a few people rather than training a whole team is less stressful for him and something he can do without worrying about his health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think another thing that makes Shiratorizawa seem less impressive than say Seijoh, is that just by nature of them being the "most imperfect" team in the tournament a lot of their points mainly come down due to the ability of a single player. There major points aren't really big combination plays or a huge struggle to finally just outwit or outplay Karasuno, it's going to be Ushiwaka hitting a perfect spike that feels like it's just about impossible to stop. It's going to be Tendou getting a perfect block out of nowhere that just can't be predicted or played around.

It almost feels like it's a certainty that sometimes these guys are just going to get a point because when it comes to sheer ability or strength, Ushijima at least is the best drat player in the series. And in a way that makes the team as a whole seem less impressive, because many of the points they do score are rather simple in the grand scheme of things. Especially compared to the crazy plays Karasuno always makes.

• Locked thread