Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait, what?

Yup. Apparently someone finally did it, and made a Warhammer Online Private Server. It's still in Alpha, but it works fine, and has the population to support RvR.

So wait, Alpha? What do they have in the game right now?

RvR, RvR lakes, Keeps, Sieging, and Scenarios are all in the game and work fine. T1 and T2 are fully added, T3 is going to get added piecemeal over the coming months, likely starting with the Elf T3 judging by the forums. Mooooost PvE quests work, at least in the Empire vs Chaos areas, and the early areas of Ork vs Dwarf/Elf vs Elf I checked on.

That sounds pretty fleshed out, what's not in?

Any quest that requires scripting at all just doesn't work ( well, technically. It doesn't work RIGHT, but they've figured out ways for you to get quest completion regardless. Example being one of the first Empire quests is to rescue people from burning buildings. Clicking the doors is supposed to have them run out, but they don't. Instead if you kill the nearby guys, the villagers will spawn and run off from that. It's passable. ). Public Quests don't advance past the first stage. Also again, all of T3 and T4 is just a void, including I believe the two Capitols ( ironically, I haven't checked yet, but they were part of the T4 zones, so I wouldn't be surprised. ). As it is, as soon as you hit max level for t2, you just hit a level cap, and get encouraged to go RvR more while they work on the rest of the game. Oh, and they don't have quest turn in text implemented yet, if you turn in a quest, you just get the initial quest dialogue again. For all you people that read what quest NPCs in a MMO say? Either way, it's still WAR, so leveling off of scenarios/RvR lakes works just fine, so the PvE being a bit unstable isn't the worst thing.

Oh, and Pounce is all sorts of hosed. I wouldn't suggest playing a White Lion unless you don't plan on Pouncing for the first few months. I mean it works, but it works a bit too well, and you can Pounce people through walls/through keeps, which almost always means you die horribly when they run behind a wall and suddenly you meet all their friends. Or they run behind a wall and you Pounce into the wall, forever stuck as a part of the level geometry. Also I'd guess pet pathing for both the White Lion and Squig Herder is probably not great, considering scripting in general is something they want to work on, but I haven't tried them yet.

T1 and T2 RvR was the best part of the game! I can wait for them to finish the rest of the game. They plan to, right?

I mean it seems so? I asked about their PvE plans on the forums, and they basically said they want to finish RvR before they script anything PvE wise, which makes sense. They've been talking about getting T3 out there for awhile, and they've been slowly but surely getting everything in place over the last few months T2wise. As long as you don't mind your eternal war being in T1 Empire ( they have T1 Ork and T1 Elf locked off to keep the low level population in a single fighting zone, since so many people level off scenarios instead )/T2 wherever, you'll probably be fine until you burn out. And then you can come back when they release the next T3/T4 zone. Let's be real, you are a goon, this sounds great, you'll poopsock your way into T2, play T2 for a few weeks/months, then loudly complain they aren't releasing T3 fast enough before quitting. Then a year later if this is still around we'll all come back and enjoy the full game experience.

Yeah, Yeah. Anything else I should know?

The server cap has been 750 since they started this a few months ago. It's just now bumping up against that 750 cap on a nightly basis, especially on weekends. This means queues, and this means lag, especially if it gets past 750. It just hit the point it's getting into most sites consciousness, which is boosting it's nightly population. The devs have mentioned they have plans to raise the cap/get sturdier servers to reduce lag on weekends, but this is a growing process for an Alpha, so expect to get mad at video games when you can't log on for 10 minutes or whatever.

Also, and well, this can go either way. They don't view Mythic's balancing as a 100% guideline. In fact, they've outright said they plan to continue balancing the game into the future, once they have all the Tiers/PvE content added into the game. They aren't trying to recreate WAR circa it's death, they are trying to make WAR come back, and then keep it going into the future. This means class balancing, and changes to the individual classes. They've also talked about adding to the game, since they have the means to do it. According to them, they could do stuff like remove all the trinkets from the Land of the Dead, and turn it into a far more RvR focused zone ( people on the forums were bitching about how PvE focused that zone was/how OP the trinkets were? I dunno, I quit before that. ). They could make RvR the only way to get INTO the Land of the Dead. They could make new Scenarios out of current game content. Etc etc. Of course, since they are a group of fans, and not Mythic itself, they could gently caress it all up, but that's something to worry about in the future, not right now.

Ok, this sounds good, what faction are we? What's the guild name.

Uh, well. So far "we" is me and Orv, and we play pretty irregularly. I'm playing both sides depending on how I'm feeling/what class I want to play, and Orv is a Goblin. Neither of us have much faith in the goon hivemind to actually build a guild and stick with WAR in any sort of longterm capacity, this whole OP is more to let people know it exists, rather then trying to rally you fuckers to a flag. So I guess play whatever side you want, and whichever side the most goons jump to, make that the new goon side.

From what I've seen, Order got all the hardcore PvPers, and generally controls the Keeps for most of the day. Destruction has the numbers, but a lot of those people are just casuals loving around with WAR for a bit, and so they have a hard time doing much in PvP if they can't bring more numbers to the fight. I'm guessing most people will go Destruction, except for those 4-5 people that desperately want to be Elves and will yell at everyone else for not making an Elf with them. Who knows though. If enough people want, I'd be willing to whip up a guild on either side, so we can better communicate in game.

What's the loving link you rear end in a top hat.

http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php

Merry Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 4, 2020

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Extra posted:

WAR though it wasn't a great whole package did a few things exceptionally well. Particularly public quests, leveling via PvP, dual target system, low GCD, and the PvP lake system. The aesthetics are also some of the best if you're into dark high fantasy. Hopefully goons will be more tempted to experience it without the sub fee because it's definitely a game worth playing for any PvP or Warhammer enthusiast.

Was waiting to post a thread until they finished all the tiers.

Biggest issue with making this WAR private server is the limited datamining that went on before the shutdown and lack of records for the game's stats, dialogue, scripting, etc.

From a long history of playing private servers this means whatever the devs favorite class is will be the best class. Though commercial MMOs are no different.

The balance in the beginning of WAR was horrendous but things did calm down toward the end. The problem with LoTD is it prioritized PvE gear over PvP gear and in a PvP MMO that's fairly dumb. Doing PvE content for the flavor is quite nice but don't make it required for people who want to PvP. By the time the game's class balance had settled everyone had left and wasn't willing to resub because their friends were all playing WoTLK.

Yeah, I was thinking about waiting for all the tiers to come out as well, but well. That's going to take some time at best, and I figure a few goons might want in on the early stages. People talk about WAR reverently enough as is.

Was datamining for WAR really so bad? I'd have imagined someone would have recorded as much as they could before the shutdown, specifically in case of something like this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Have they fixed the balance or is it still a hosed one sided mess?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Byolante posted:

Have they fixed the balance or is it still a hosed one sided mess?

You mean is it still Bright Wizard city? No, they did finally start putting out some good balance changes as the game started to obviously die, although it was far too late for the game.

RoR is still pretty Order favored though, but that's more due to population dynamics then class balance. The people who play Destro are by and large more casual, and the people that play Order already have a number of guilds specifically focused around RvR. This may change as the months go on/more people join, especially if some Destro guilds start forming/someone actually starts trying to organize people. It's not as bad as retail though, fights in the field can go either way, it's just Order tends to own the keeps longer/more often.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Okay now this I can get into.

Gonna have to download all this poo poo. Gimme my dwarf warrior fucker with the knockbacks yeah.

e:10 gb download inc. I have poo poo speeds so I'll be back tomorrow.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 5, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I played this for a few months at release and got a Chosen to the cap. T1 and 2 and the scenarios were incredible, the only PVP I've ever enjoyed in a themepark MMO. Then T3 was a swarm and T4 was an empty wasteland. So much potential but so much of it squandered.

Godspeed nerds.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Pierson posted:

I played this for a few months at release and got a Chosen to the cap. T1 and 2 and the scenarios were incredible, the only PVP I've ever enjoyed in a themepark MMO. Then T3 was a swarm and T4 was an empty wasteland. So much potential but so much of it squandered.

Godspeed nerds.

Hm I played while you played and we had pretty constant T4 battles especially in the human/chaos zones.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

peak debt posted:

Hm I played while you played and we had pretty constant T4 battles especially in the human/chaos zones.
It's been years but my recollection was almost all small-group fighting petered out as you left T2, and by the time you reached T4 players grouped into a single giant zerg that rolled past each other. It could have been due to the fact that players out-levelled T1-2 eventually and so the amount of people playing in it meant smaller groups could accomplish more, and of course players will always find the optimal way of grinding out progress which in large-scale PVP games is usually a zerg.

Edit: Of course it could just have been my server, I remember now there were a whole bunch. I definitely thought scenarios and T1-2 were the best the game had.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 5, 2015

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
T4 RVR lakes typically had a couple KOTBS/WP combo's running around that would plow into a destruction raid and ruin half of it before running off like nothing happened. The keeps were amazing though as a shaman as you could typically find a piece of geography that was above the walls and then try and RNG blast yourself over them to res the raid past the first set of gates and defenders.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Well drat, I wasn't sure if I'd ever see a private server for WAR. This could end up being pretty awesome. It seriously bummed me out to see the game die the way it did after starting with almost a million players and having lots of potential. Downloading this poo poo.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Any other download links for their launcher? The link on their site isn't working right now.

edit: nevermind, working now.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 5, 2015

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
I've been playing this off and on for a few weeks, and it works pretty great.
PQ's are mostly broken, but if you are PvEing in this game, you are playing it wrong

Tier 1/2 is in right now, the server pop usually averages at 400-600 people, and there's always fights/scenarios going on. One issue is that the server is euro/UK, so any americans/oceania will have 150+ ping, in addition to some off and on server lag issues at primetime. I hope you don't hate russians either

Order/Destro is pretty even sided in terms of population, though order doesn't have near as many tanks/melee classes being played as destro, so you will get swamped a lot as non-healer backline (bright wizard/shadow warrior). You can have up to 20 characters and no faction limit, so roll everything

Some commands to fix minor bugs (put these in SAY chat with no backslash or anything except the text I bolded; it's also cap sensitive):

&stuck to drop combat if you get stuck in combat (2 min cooldown)
.respec Gathering to respec cultivating/scavenging/salvaging/butchering
.respec Crafting to respec apothecary/talisman making

Download it via torrent (their server + mega bugs out a lot), and then download their launcher here:
http://launcher.returnofreckoning.com/RoRLauncher.exe

Shove the RoR launcher in the Warhammer folder, make a shortcut to it, then use that to start the game up.

lewtt fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 5, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Let the game stay dead. If people dont learn to let the dead rest, we will have 10 alt wow servers for every wow expansion to ever to exist in 10 years.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They've done a great job with this so far. I play it every so often when nostalgia hits.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yup had a quick game this morning, felt pretty drat solid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Let the game stay dead. If people dont learn to let the dead rest, we will have 10 alt wow servers for every wow expansion to ever to exist in 10 years.

Nah gently caress you.

Roach
Nov 23, 2007
Can't touch this
downloading this now, are Bright wizards still the bees knees? Cause F those guys

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Roach posted:

downloading this now, are Bright wizards still the bees knees? Cause F those guys

Only way to find out is to roll one!

:getin:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Oh heck yes. I didn't get to play it very long back in the day but I knew it was something special and I've been waiting ages for something like this to happen.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Was serious group pvp (as in a single group vs a single group or zerg busting, etc) ever a thing in Warhammer? I only briefly played the open beta all those years ago.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

Was serious group pvp (as in a single group vs a single group or zerg busting, etc) ever a thing in Warhammer? I only briefly played the open beta all those years ago.

Yes. Actually the game was heavily built for it. Almost every class/class combo had things you could use on each other to strengthen you, but that were built for friendly/smaller scale encounters. Detaunts, % damage reducers for a single other person, healing/buffing being centered around single ( defensive, you could have an offensive and defensive target, so if you hit the offensive target, the defensive target would be healed ) targets rather then group scale, etc. Add on stuff like physical placement in the world ( tanks could hold a doorway by virtue of existing in the gameworld, so healers/dps could hide behind them and survive longer, meaning a small group in a well placed situation could hold out for a significant amount of time. ), and small group PvP was huge.

Order was king at doing this, especially on lower pop servers. A Warrior Priest/KotBS combo with a backup BW could easily take out 10+ people by themselves if they worked together well. Zergs existed to fight other Zergs, but the Zergs themselves were largely only successful due to the numbers they had at their backs.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In the goon guild we had massive zergs with hundreds of people, and so did the other side. It was the most large-scale PvP I've seen in an MMO, but unfortunately their servers crumbled in big battles and the reward system was broken, causing many people to ragequit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was just thinking of this game like a week ago. Really want to play again but didn't think there would ever be hope for it returning.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ruffz posted:

In the goon guild we had massive zergs with hundreds of people, and so did the other side. It was the most large-scale PvP I've seen in an MMO, but unfortunately their servers crumbled in big battles and the reward system was broken, causing many people to ragequit.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, RvR with massive people was the best part of the game. Just also if you had 5 people on some form of voice chat coordinating, they could also do some serious damage to zergs/hold their own even if they got caught by surprise thanks to how the classes were set up. It was one of the few games with largescale PvP that also let small scale PvP have an effect on the combat. I remember more then a few situations where me and my friends ( a gobbo shammy, blackguard, disciple, and chosen ) could hold a Keep by ourselves for hours, entirely because we were working together.

The game had serious promise, and it's a shame it's flaws were so prevalent ( rewards for PvEing keeps rather then RvRing, certain classes on either side being significantly better then their counterparts/the devs outright refusing to listen to community feedback, even as people were leaving in droves due to those gameplay choices, etc. ).

For those joining in now, just an fyi, balance isn't anywhere near where it was when you probably quit. Bright Wizards are good damage now, but they aren't the masters of death they used to be. KotBS and Warrior Priests aren't as hard to kill, and don't have as great of buffs. A lot of Destruction classes got some nice buffs near the end as well. As Extra said, they started figuring out how to balance the game as it was dying, and this server uses those last few patches, so the balance is -ok-. There aren't any obviously broken classes/setups that I know of offhand.

Also everyone should play a gobbo Shammy. I'm not even sure if you can still do half the things I did at release with that class, but christ was it a good time. I remember using an explosion spell to launch myself past an attacking army into a keep where everyone was dead, and then just AoE rezzing the entire raid back alive. The amount of poo poo you could do with any of the classes in this game if you bothered to try out the stupid spells was incredible.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

Also everyone should play a gobbo Shammy. I'm not even sure if you can still do half the things I did at release with that class, but christ was it a good time. I remember using an explosion spell to launch myself past an attacking army into a keep where everyone was dead, and then just AoE rezzing the entire raid back alive. The amount of poo poo you could do with any of the classes in this game if you bothered to try out the stupid spells was incredible.

I'm normally a big baby when it comes to PvP, but I do enjoy both being a goblin and doing things like this. :ohdear: I saw there's some PvE stuff - is this a game where you can PvE in peace while getting some levels and learning to play, or is it a gankfest no matter what you're doing?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The PvE in WAR was pretty atrocious. I recall rarely getting ganked while questing, as most of the people looking to PvP were in the RvR lakes or in scenarios. This game came out 7 years ago though, so my memory is fuzzy. I'm sure others remember it better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

I'm normally a big baby when it comes to PvP, but I do enjoy both being a goblin and doing things like this. :ohdear: I saw there's some PvE stuff - is this a game where you can PvE in peace while getting some levels and learning to play, or is it a gankfest no matter what you're doing?

PvE and PvP areas are segregated. Some of the higher tiers have PvE stuff in the PvP zones but never anything necessary.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

PvE and PvP areas are segregated. Some of the higher tiers have PvE stuff in the PvP zones but never anything necessary.

Oh good, I'll give it a shot then. :) May PvP with goons later on if I end up liking the game/getting halfway good at it, I just don't want to put up with LOL PWNT NOOB garbage while I'm still learning the controls and poo poo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

Oh good, I'll give it a shot then. :) May PvP with goons later on if I end up liking the game/getting halfway good at it, I just don't want to put up with LOL PWNT NOOB garbage while I'm still learning the controls and poo poo.

The PvE is odd.

Like when fully working ( realize right now you'll be running into a lot of odd scripted quests where you just get completion since they haven't scripted them yet/PQs not working, T posed naked enemies from time to time, as it's the last thing they plan to work on. Don't view that as the full games PvE ), it's a neat storydriven experience that's also oddly bland. Like each race has it's own story! You aren't actually the hero, just another soldier in your army! The storytelling is actually kind of good if you bother reading the quest texts. PQs are super fun to play alongside other people, and are a good way of getting to learn your class ( they aren't in yet though ).

So like from that perspective it's all great on paper.

It's just all the abilities in this game are built for PvP. Like PvP makes sense here, in a way it doesn't in any other game. It's super easy to grasp, get into, and enjoy, even for people that don't normally PvP in other games. Every ability in some way is built to either support other people/help other people/do really crazy poo poo with other people, unlike most MMOs were your abilities are designed to kill raid bosses faster. It leads to the PvE feeling more then a bit flat, even if everything is working fine. It's not bad, it's just not the focus.

I'd say putz around in the start zone for a bit, get to level 4-5ish, then go join the local warband and help them putz around in RvR. And I'm saying that as someone who can't stand PvP in other MMOs. I hate any sort of PvP in stuff like WoW, because it's always a super high level ganking people, or they just have better gear then you/are more used to PvPing with their class then you. Whenever you die in those games, it feels like you hosed up personally/didn't stand a chance most times. But that's the beauty of RvR in WAR, in that when you die in WAR, more often then not it's because your team of 30 people made a mistake, and you can get right back into the battle. It's never a personal failure, and there's always a sense of "Well no, gently caress that, let's get back in there and retake our keep!". It's super fun, and I'd really suggest giving it a chance once you feel comfortable with your class.

e: The world is segregated though, as Orv said. There are no PvE/PvP server distinctions. You want to PvP you go to the RvR zone. You want to putz around questing, you stick to your questing areas.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 6, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wasn't sure about this. Then I saw Goblin Squig Herder was an option. What kind of abilities are they capable of pulling off?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mushroom_spore posted:

Don't play this game for the PVE. Like this was not even a thing to do when the game was live.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bee posted:

I wasn't sure about this. Then I saw Goblin Squig Herder was an option. What kind of abilities are they capable of pulling off?

Mostly a ranged class, but their pet abilities depend on the squig they have out; melee attack, explosive, ranged, etc.

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Squig_Herder
http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Squig_Herder_Abilities

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

A Good Post

Thank you for all this! Definitely sounds like PvP I might actually enjoy trying, for once, and I'm always a fan of "you and 1000 other people aren't all simultaneously the chosen one" stories.

Orv posted:

Mostly a ranged class, but their pet abilities depend on the squig they have out; melee attack, explosive, ranged, etc.

Is anyone playing one of these now? OP said their pet pathing might be bad at the moment, but I love pet classes too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

Thank you for all this! Definitely sounds like PvP I might actually enjoy trying, for once, and I'm always a fan of "you and 1000 other people aren't all simultaneously the chosen one" stories.

Is anyone playing one of these now? OP said their pet pathing might be bad at the moment, but I love pet classes too.

Try it and let us know! I played a White Lion for a bit to gently caress with Pounce, and the pet pathing wasn't that bad. Not like it was at release, but not terrible either.

Orv posted:

Wasn't there a Battlesquig ultimate thing where you got into a big squig and stabbed people with a spear?

I also remember they had a long jump like the Shaman did, but while the Shaman had a random one that exploded them into the air, the SH had a more targeted one?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 7, 2015

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Tried to register with a gmail address and it says i'm black listed, what gives?

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I really liked the in-game unlocking lore book in this game, which is probably the weirdest thing to like about Warhammer Online. This game had a really pretty UI.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Got a few levels as a shaman. It's so weird to be playing a "stand still while casting you idiot" MMO again. I'm still frequently confused by the interface and which buttons do what things but I probably deserve that for trying a new game while drinking.

Rookersh posted:

Try it and let us know! I played a White Lion for a bit to gently caress with Pounce, and the pet pathing wasn't that bad. Not like it was at release, but not terrible either.

I didn't want to immediately redo all the stuff I just did on my shaman, but I did make a herder just to run around in circles with for a bit and the pet is definitely odd. It was veering wildly all over the place, I'm not sure if those critters are just supposed to be like that or if something's wonky. :iiam:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I tried this over the summer at some point and it was incredibly laggy. Has anything been done about that at all? I distinctly remember just having lots of skills simply fail to fire, and I don't think I was even playing at particularly busy times. Note that this was before T2 was even being considered (at least publically) afaik, so they may have gotten their rears in gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I played it for a few hours yesterday and it worked quite well. The responsivity of the game was about the same as it was on the official servers which isn't very good to be honest but that's not the fault of the server operators. The game was always laggy as gently caress.
There were a bunch of bugs such as a level 21 guy being in the tier 1 lake but nothing really gamebreaking.

I'm actually still surprised about how much better than ESO this game was (and still is). Even at level 7 I have more things to keep track of and decisions to make to play properly than I had in ESO at level 30.

One thing I can't remember: Where do you get low level gear from PvP? Are there vendors anywhere that sell stuff for PvP points?