Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Freak: +1 Danger: 0 Savior: -2 Superior: +2 Mundane: +2
Potential 2/5 | Conditions:

I get a sour look on my face when they wonder where the rest of us disappeared to. I grumble, "Looks like they only notice me when I'm NOT there..."

Watching the reports closer, I see a few of the henchmen limping off in the background. And I think I know them. Yeah, for sure. Sarah and Lee. Two of the stage crew down at the Flaming Wreck. I think theyre dating? Maybe?. It's a dive where I had my first few shows. They've got the same general disdain for rules as me, but working for Pantomime? No, something weird is up. I don't say anything, but I'm going to go track them down when I get some personal time.

When Winddancer asks to see me, I'm clearly distracted by the reporting. A half second later, I jolt myself out of my thoughts and tell Winddancer, "Yeah, if you want." I may be irritated with her, but I'm alteady wondering what shes got planned. I mean, I don't think she'd straight up lie to me, so this is sure to be at least an interesting conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Freak: +3 | Danger: +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: ---

So, getting the team leader's NAME wrong is about as mortifying as it can be but Winddancer's too pre-occupied to notice. Phew, dodged a bullet there! "Thanks," I whisper back to All-American-Girl. She could have made a big thing about it but she didn't, I really appreciated it.

I stayed mostly quiet for the rest of the meeting, watching how everyone interacted and trying to get a sense of where they all stood with each other. Winddancer was the obvious Leader. Showstopper definitely respected her, but if he disagreed with her he'd do his own thing. Synapse just wanted to do a good job and I don't think he really cared who was in charge. All-America-Girl had a lot to prove, and I could see that the rest of the team was mostly relieved at how capable she'd ended up being when it counted, even if it wasn't exactly to plan. Quix... I wasn't sure about. They seemed happy- like me- to just sit back and kind of watch things unfold. I think they just wanted everyone to get along, but it's really hard to to tell with a robot! Red Fox of course wasn't here so I had no idea about them.

Where would I fit into all of this? I didn't have a clue.

I wondered how accurate the footage cuts were from the news to real life. I'd never much cared about that stuff before, but... Well, now they were going to be talking about ME. I might have to do interviews! Oh man, that was... scary. Incredibly cool, too though.

While watching the footage I noticed something. Someone had captured a really neat shot of when Scrapyard's armor went haywire and pieces fell off. There was a weird looking symbol on the inside of his armor. I'd seen that symbol before, in fact it was inscribed on the Core-Element in my head. It was a symbol MAD SCIENCE! used to use to mark their property. A stylized caudecus, or mercury symbol.

I wondered what that meant... Had Scrapyard just stolen some of their old technology? Had he worked for them in the past? Was he a member himself? (That at least seemed really unlikely.) I didn't say anything out loud, because I didn't have enough information yet. I'd have to research this first, and if I found anything we could act on, THEN I could bring it to the team.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak: 1 Danger: -2 Savior: 0 Superior: 3 Mundane: 1

I go back to my room, and start working on the paperwork that's still piling on. Jeez.

I really gotta ask the old man for a secretary. Or three.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

After watching the scene a few more times to make sure it's them, I heft the sack of junk that I scavenged back onto my shoulder and say, "Don't have too much fun while I'm gone. Gonna drop this off and see what Winddancer wants."

Soon enough, I'm outside Winddancer's room. I'd dumped the sack onto a table in the garage but I had up an interesting looking gadget to fiddle with to keep my hand busy. I knock and wait for an answer before entering. Then, I grab a seat on the bed and say, "So, what's up?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Come in."

After he complied, I sit down and put my legs on the table. Not very professional but this is my room goddamnit.

"So. You've seen the loving Herald's report, right? They're so obviously getting paid by that company that Red Fox pissed off it's not even funny. Which gave me an idea. You know, the company might have covered it's tracks. But it's quite likely the Herald didn't do it as well. What I want you to do is look into that. Secretly of course. If you can find something that we could use to expose their bullshit and put it online, that'd be great. Of course, you have to absolutely make sure this can't be traced back to us."

After letting my suggestion sink in for a bit, I hug him and continue. "And, uhm, sorry about yelling at you earlier so much. It's just... I know it worked but it just doesn't feel right. I guess I'm just biased because of... past experiences. Just... ugh, whatever. If you do this kind of stuff again and someone actually dies because of it, I WILL make you fill out every single piece of paperwork in my stead. if you aren't loving put behind bars because of it."

I say pointing at the literal MOUNTAIN of paper on my desk to emphasize my point.

"Look, just don't play mindgames with psychopaths holding people hostage anymore, okay? Look, it's not like the old times where it was just the two of us. We're official now, and it'll have actual consequences if we guess wrong."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Freak: -2 | Danger: -1| Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +2

"I understand." I smile briefly at Winddancer so she knows I'm not raging about it or anything. I think she thinks of herself as the team mom or something probably. Which is kind of awkward. Anyway, videos!

"How is the herald even considered a real news organization?" I grumble with irritation as I watch their ticker feed. "Like, they don't even have a story about a 'knightmare' they just made that up and then freaked out about explosions! What did they think we were going to do stop Pantomime and free his hostages without him blowing anything up? Ugh." I turn away from the screen to watch Fox New's broadcast, which seems to be almost entirely about me. Makes me feel a little guilty the rest of the team is underrepresented, but at least they're making me look and sound awesome.

I'm in the middle of a watching a bit they've put together of me posing just before Winddancer and I ran off, and something is odd about it, but before I can think about it more, Synapse calls attention to something on one of the other screens. "Hmm, one of the henchmen maybe?" With the camera quality from this distance, its impossible to tell more. "Did anyone see who that might have been? Quixzot, while you were heading off maybe? Or Showstopper, that was before you got here from the hostages, right?"

By the time I've looked back at my screen, whatever I was seeing is gone. I rewind, but with the way they've pieced together their footage of me, its hard to find the right spot again.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -2 | Mundane +0
Location: The World Lock Chamber || Conditions: None || Potential: 0/5
Doom: [X] [_] [_] [_] [_]

"It seems there were a lot of people hanging around at the edges of this..."

Winddancer and Showstopper clear out pretty quickly. I'm a little curious about what she's asking him to do that the rest of the team shouldn't be let in on. But I've already overstepped my bounds today. Just going to change out of "work clothes", shower - one of the only perks of wearing a costume like the others is that you don't ruin your everyday stuff - and hang out with All-American Girl.

"Hey, All-American, I'm gonna change real quick, and then I'll be up. Okay?"

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Freak +2(0), Danger -0,(-2) Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane -1
Conditions: Afraid, Hopeless
Potential 0/5
As an advance, taking the Kirby Craft, but not deciding stuff for it for reasons I'll get to later.

I nod to Winddancer, even though she pretty quickly skedaddles. Yeah. I can do that- I'll make it. At the very least, maybe it'll prevent something like... earlier from happening again. And then some talk about AAG happens and we're basically done. ... And then we aren't! Damnit. So. Anyways. The news is ranting as always, talking about these people and that people. Ugh, the herald's kind of the worst, but at least fox news has our back.. we guess. Winddancer and Showstopper head off, but I keep watching the tapes, while everyone talks about things, okay, mostly Synapse. Synapse talks about several things. Hidden, secret people?

They want me to see if I saw anything, but it's not on my personal feed. What is, though, is Pantomime! Holy poo poo, I didn't notice it before, but- the lovely clown literally pulled a black hole- well, a black circle- slapped it on the wall, and stepped through it, right before I shot at him! How the hell? That's... that's not a thing clowns do!

"Wait wait hold on guys one second." I walk up to the projector, open up my right hand, and pull out a usb cable, before connecting to the thing- and play back the footage off there. "Do you see? Look at this poo poo, none of the information said the guy was magic or whatever! I don't think, I don't think this is supposed to be a thing!"

I mean, what the christ? There has to be something I can remember about this, something I can see... But I'm not super invested in it right now. Right now? I could go for trying out my taste buds some more.

"Hey, guys? Anyone hungry?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I grin at the "suggestion." Yeah, that's pretty up my alley, especially since I'm still irritated about being snubbed. I say, "Well, I guess I could try and fit it into my schedule." I add, grin clear on my face, "It might take a lot of time, though. I mean, I might end up missing a few debriefs or other borin-I mean IMPORTANT meetings. But, that might be the price I have to pay for going above and beyond."

I do wince when mentions being worried about the hostages. Yeah, I knew I was right, but she didn't. And she's really got a thing about bystanders getting hurt. I may be an rear end, but even I'm not that much of a jerk to give her poo poo about it. Especially after what happened with her parents. So, I say, "OK, OK, i won't pull something like that again without clearing it with you, alright? Promise." I put the gadget down on the bed and return her hug.

When she mentions being in the big leagues, I add, "Still kinda hard to believe they let someone like me in here. You know, I've still got bulleten board of newspapers calling me 'a public menace.' Guess I'm gonna have to retire that, huh?" I let that hang for a little before I say, "I know Stormcaller expects it of you, but... do you really wanna do this? Like you said, it's a whole new game now."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"It's the only logical thing. We can do so much more as a full team. Not only do we have a lot more firepower, but we also get funding as well as donations. Hell, I don't think this base would have been a thing without it. At least, not OURS. I mean, we can actually fight superpowered people properly now, instead of just going crooks the cops could probably handle on their own or the occasional giant robot."

"Right, that's all for now. I'll have to- ugh... gently caress it. Let's play some videogames. I need a break. By the way, who's cooking today? Heh... I guess there's one advantage to doing all the paperwork, I don't have to cook. Probably more healthy for you guys anyway."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"What the heck?" I stare at the video clip Quixzot produces, and naturally completely miss the bit I was looking for, again. "He must have gotten that from someone else, that's way too good for a cutprice clown." I turn back to my screen again, replaying it, and this time I spot it. "There! Freeze. Enhance." I freeze the video and zoom in on it, until we get a full screen view of a very heavily blurred drone. "That's a Camelot Tech drone isn't it?" It looks like the same style as the larger robots we beat up on our first mission.

"Well I guess whoever is behind the robot attacks is trying to get dirt on our fighting styles." That sucks. But at least its like one weirdo going after us if all they could get was one drone. The whole corporation couldn't be evil anyway! "We've still got that pizza, right Quix? You didn't eat it when you stored it inside of you? And I got us some ice cream!" I turn on my comm for a second so Winddancer, Showstopper, Red Fox and Synapse can hear, "looks like we're going to hang out and eat for a bit- maybe play some games" Walking away from the group, I tune the channel to just Synapse, "[figure we should get some team bonding in with Viscosity first, right? We've got all night for hanging out?]"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

As much as I hate to admit it, she's got a point. I tune the comm to just her frequency.

[That's probably a good idea. The briefing probably just confused the hell out of her, without any context.]

"All right, I'll certainly stick around for pizza and ice cream."

So, objective: make Viscosity feel like part of the team? Well, I guess that starts with actually interacting with her.

"Hey, sorry about ducking out on introductions before. Can't be helped. So what brings you to the Keep?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I turn on my comms.

"Sure. Was just about do the same, anyway. I'll come over."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Well, I kinda live here now, so...?" I blinked at Synapse, then I realized what he was really asking. "Oh! You mean, why the hero thing? Well, it wasn't really my idea at first. Dr. Troy kind of surprised me with the application, actually. But after he explained everything it just made a lot of sense."

I was rambling, but I'd never told my 'origin story' to anyone like this before. I'd have to write down a better, concise version for the press and memorize it, because they were definitely going to ask me that.

"Anyway, part of it is that I want to pay Silver-Bolt back, or forward, you know, save people the way he saved me when he found me in the MAD SCIENCE! labs. And part of it is to help Dr. Troy out. He does physical therapy for a lot of meta-humans, helps figure out how their new physiology works and how they can live normal lives still. With me out there, being all famous and doing good deeds, it's great press for Troy Labs too. He didn't charge my family a penny, and I kind of owe him my life, so I want to do what I can for him."

I accepted a bowl of vanilla and sprinkled a few mini-pretzels on top of it. Sweet was good, but SALT, oh-my-god. Ever since I turned gooey salt is my thing.

"So what about you? What brought you to the keep?" I asked Synapse. "And I'm not just talking about that 'world lock' thingamabob, because you don't just guard that all the time."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Gluten-free pretzels? Eh, let's give them a shot.

"No, you're right about that. It's got plenty of defenses on its own - it would take a significant effort to have to actively defend it. Which I would, with my life. It's the other way around, really. It's... well, kind of a power battery?

Close enough, I suppose. I prefer not to get into the nuances of what it's actually doing, team-mate or not.

"I wouldn't need access to it if I just led a normal life, avoided my powers. But living here means I'm out of the foster system, and like you, I feel like I owe the Champions a debt. The circumstances of my being on this dimension are a little strange, but I'm here because they allowed me to be. And I can help them, and by extension, everyone else out. So I do."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Oh, we're roommates then!" I said. "Who else lives here full time, anyway?" I stuck the spoon in my mouth and let the ice cream melt for a few seconds. It was really good. I knew my face was probably changing color- usually when I ate it turned purplish because the digestive chemical-reaction. I didn't really need to swallow or anything, I just kind of-

*tink*

-dissolved my dinner.

I stuffed the metal spoon handle in my pocket and pretended that accidentally eating half of my spoon was totally normal, you betcha. Then I backed up to the table and grabbed a spare. Just keep smiling Lexi. Yep. All smiles.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Huh. That's a good question. All-American Girl has her video games here and whatnot, and Winddancer certainly spends a lot of time here, but I tend to sleep fairly early, so they might be going home?

"Uh, not sure, actually. I mean, we each have our own rooms either way. I know Red Fox is out a lot - I assume she lives somewhere else."

So she just sort of puts food inside of her and internally digests it? But... wait a second! Can her body just handle digested metal like that?

"Hey, wait - I think you just ate that spoon head by accident. Is that okay? Should we call someone?"

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 9, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I guess that makes sense. I tell her, "Yeah, enough of this mushy stuff. Let's go welcome give Lexi a real welcome. As for cooking... I guess I could handle it. But that's for later. We've got pizza and ice cream now!"

I re-enter the room with Winddancer, looking much less annoyed than when I left. In fact, I've got a grin on my face. Sneaking around a big paper and tearing down it's rep? That's gonna be hilarious! As I join the others, I deposit the gadget I've been playing with (some kind of multi-wavelength camera) on the table and grab a slice of pizza. I plop down next to Synapse and, after taking a bite, say, "So, coulda picked a better day to show up. Still, you lived through Winddancer's debrief, so that means it's only up from here, Lexi." I grin at Synapse and give him a gentle elbow in the ribs as I add, "By the way, did I miss out on any more kissing while I was gone?" I cut my eyes to All American Girl and give him an "Eh? Ehhhh?" to encourage him to answer.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I held up both hands and waved dismissively. "No, no it's fine, it'll uh..." (How do you even explain this.) "Anything I can't actually break down just uh, works it's way out." I lifted the tail end of my "hair", which was already turning steel-colored where the metal molecules were collecting. "See? No worries! It'll probably take an hour or so to finish."

Showstopper came back, (thank god he just missed my 'there is no spoon' trick,) and started teasing Synapse. "Ohhh, is it like that?" I asked, more than happy to change the subject. Then I smiled for real. "Or maybe we're the ones who missed the kissing? You were alone with Winddancer for a while..."

Provoking Showstopper to tell us about Winddancer's secret meeting! 2d6-1 = 8! Yeaaa! If you do it, add a Team.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 9, 2015

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

It may look like I'm thinking of some kind of elaborate response to what he said, but honestly these gluten-free pretzels require some serious dedication to the chewing process. Honest.

"Nah. No more that I saw, apparently. What's got you so interested in the goings-on in my - ahem - brooding chamber anyway?"

I try to look mad, but that's honestly pretty funny.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 9, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I return her grin, saying, "Oh, man. You caught us." I put on a movie announcer voice as I say, "Star-crossed lovers from different worlds. One from the mean streets, the other from the tower in the sky. Will the lovable rascal be able to teach the beautiful leader that the real superpower... is love? Find out in theaters this fall." I manage to let that sink in for a moment before I crack up, barely managing to choke out, "Eh, it'd probably bomb. One star, tops."

Not taking the team, alas. He's out to prove that he's reliable now, and you don't do that by blabbing the secret mission to the first person who asks. We've got plenty to burn, at least.

Then, Synapse asks about his brooding chamber and I say, "Hey, whatever spooky stuff you do in there is your business, except for when it might rip apart the fabric of reality as we know it or keeps me in a briefing longer. You know, either or." I scoop some ice cream onto the plate and keep eating. Then, I look up at All American Girl and say, "Hey, AAG, were we gonna play a game or something?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Everyone seems to be falling in line with operation hang out with Viscosity, so I take the chance to run off down to my room and grab a console. Even though I might not have any superpowers, my training has left me pretty strong, so it isn't much trouble hauling up two old school xboxs with all the cables and a small stack of games, though my arms are aching a lotlittle by the time I get it all back to the meeting room. Cuz it has a huge tv, obviously. I dump them on the couch, and head over to the table to grab a bowl of ice cream for myself. "Good timing SS, just got one up here so we can setup. How are we all at Halo?" The secret is I already know the answer: not good enough!

"What do we want, team matches or a free for all?" I grin at the others as I load up a bowl with as much ice cream as I can fit inside.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Red Fox: "Haven't had the chance to, yet," is Stormcaller's steady answer. "Just got out of the Hall of Heroes, and some intel briefing on MORDRED" - at least, the way he says it, it sounds capitalized - "You'll hear about it soon enough, but it's Champion business. That said," and he snaps the book shut. "I'm glad you're defending your friend. But I'm not the person you need to be snippy with. Sometimes offence isn't the best defence." He's using his influence on you, do you accept or reject? If accept, then -1 Superior, +1 Savior "I won't keep you from your team any longer, go ahead."

Quixzot: There's a sudden series of beeps and boops, on your communicator. Not your team communicator, the other one! The alien one. Someone wants a favour. What is it, and why don't you want to do it? Do you tell the others?

Viscosity: Seeing the MAD SCIENCE! symbol makes you remember something... something you had forgotten for a reason. What is it? Do you tell the others?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 9, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Hey, it's not nice to shove your nose into others' love life, you know." I joke.

I turn towards AAG.

"So, Halo it is? Let's go with team matches. Hell, if someone shows up we can excuse it as a team-building exercise!" I continue, chuckling almost immediately after I finished the sentence.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

"Those were my thoughts, exactly, Winddancer."

While I don't believe for a second that the Champions would buy Halo as a means of training, it's not like they'll actually show up.

"In my experience, multiplayer shooters are, strictly speaking, the opposite of a team-building exercise..."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Only if you can't communicate. If you do, you can accomplish so much more than lone wolves."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Freak: 1 Danger: 3 Savior: 0 Superior: -1 Mundane: 0

He... makes some good points. I dunno, parent figures are a touchy subject with me right now, but that's not his fault. I look chagrined, luckily he doesn't have X-Ray Vision (from what I can recall) and he cannot see that. Also glad my helmet's going to disguise my voice, I tell him "Sorry," at the beginning of my back-flip, "and thanks," when I land. I'm facing away from him, already walking towards the door - and thinking about what he said. Something named MORDRED is probably associated with Camelot because I mean, c'mon, it's clearly themed. So, are the champions dealing with them? Do they know that's who I'm interning for?

Accepted what he said.

That said, thoughts of all of it are put far from my mind as I wind my way through the Keep, towards the sound of voices from the meeting room. I really love when I get to hang out in our base, since it's kinda uncommon, what with all my commitments and all. Sometimes it does feel a bit like I'm a visitor though.

As I get closer to where the team is I make sure I'm moving as stealthily as possible - want to come in at a cool time. Pretty sure they're setting up video games, which is kinda amusing when you think about it. Ran and jumped and flipped a few miles, from one house playing video games to another house playing video games. Well, one base. Anyways I don't have to wait long, since Winddancer finally provides the perfect line. Something about using teamwork as opposed to being lone wolves. "What about lone Foxes?" Well poo poo, that had sounded cooler in my head, but whatever.

Striding into view, I'm struck by two things. One, they seemed perfectly content before I showed up. Two, oh my GOD Lexi looks WEIRD. Er, Viscosity. She looks a lot like friendly Jello, which isn't even a thing that being a superhero could have prepared me to say. I'm probably staring but you can't tell because of the helmet - I love this helmet so much. "Good to meet you Viscosity, I'm Red Fox." Know what feels weird? Introducing yourself to someone you already know, by a super hero name, while they're a sentient goo-person, in your super-hero base. With Halo menu screen music playing in the background. Yeah, weird day.

"Couldn't find out anything about Pantomime's escape. What are the teams?" I hope I'm on Showstopper and All American Girl's team, we'd destroy everybody else.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Freak +2(0), Danger -0,(-2) Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane -1
Conditions: Afraid, Hopeless
Potential 0/5

Gotta admit it's a bit late, but I eject the pizza, setting it out, still warm, on the table! I throw open the boxes, spin, and bow to the group, a smile on my face. Yes! finally, here and now, I can enjoy the human confection of pizza once more! "Indeed I do! Pizza... Is served!" But that's really not the important thing, here.

The important thing is watching Viscocity dissolves spoons. Huh. i didn't know that humans ate the spoons after using them! This bears... investigation. So of course, I grab one of the metal spoons, lift it into my mouth, and promptly chomp down on it, cleaving the spoon in twain, crunching it about in my mouth. Unfortunately, this doesn't taste good at all, so I have to spit it out afterwards, and hope that no one noticed. No one /did/ notice, right?

Oh no. They're talking about it. In a way that rather implies Humans aren't supposed to do that! I think I have made what we in the business call 'an oopsie'. poo poo, well, maybe it'll be okay! Maybe no one will ever know. Maybe, maybe just maybe, it's time for Videogames!

"Personally I'm more of a Smash Bros fan, but I guess we can start with the Xbox. I guess!" Halo's fun,but I think I'll win. Uh, mostly via rampant cheating by human standards, admittedly. It's... not that hard to use some of the functions of my brain to do all the 'quickscopes' and stuff. ...

Oh butts.
It's a call on my communicator. That's... that's not good. Luckily, it's just a text file, so I don't need to have a conversation, but... It looks like they want to videochat with a human leader. Like, a president or something leader. poo poo. THis.. this might be a problem . They want to actually talk to someone important! But... but I don't know anyone important well enough, I'm not trusted enough, people still don't even all believe me that I'm an alien! And... if I try to get like, an audience with the president, there's a good chance I'll get shot or something? SO, like, if I slack on this, it's just... self preservation, right?

I'll keep my mouth shut for now, but... i'll talk to Stormcaller about it later. Maybe we can get a league rep or something?

ANYWAYS. Red Fox is back! My fellow robot! Thank goodness.

"Heey ,Fox! An hour or two no see! We made a new friend, her name's Lexi! We're going to play Halo, and you, me, and Lexi are going to be on a team- AAG, Winddancer, and Synapse are the other team. Showstopper, you get to referee and or substitute, sorry. We don't have an even number of players! Someone on the losing team'll swap out with you after the first match, probably?"

Okay... that's not really fair, given the help he's given to me, but I had to pick /someone/ as the odd one out, okay? There's only like, 7 of us!

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

"Actually, we managed to catch some stuff on the news reports footage we checked out during the briefing. I'll catch you up on it later, if you want."

Quix leaves Showstopper out of the first round. Honestly, shooters aren't really my thing. I'm more of a strategy gamer anyway, but I think half the crew would be asleep five rounds into hot-seat Civilization.

"If you want to play first - I can grab some pizza or something. I'm awful at these things, anyway - ask All-American."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

When Red Fox makes her appearance, I jump and bop my head on the TV. Grumbling, I look up from plugging in the cords to say, "How long have you been waiting there for a straight line to enter on?" Sitting up to look at her, I add, "Hey, you missed all the fun of the debrief. Know you're really crushed about that. Still, thought you should know The Herald's downgraded you to public enemy number three. Really gonna have to pick up the slack if you want to keep up the infamy." I gesture towards Lexi and say, "Yeah, she's pretty cool, Fox. She'd been stuck in some labs downtown, but she's pretty cool. We talked a while when I'd... let myself in to look around the labs. Also, she's got great taste in music. Gonna be nice to have someone around here who appreciates good music..."

Then, I frown at Quixzot when she preemptively kicks me out of the teams, but Synapse volunteers to sit out before I can say anything. Instead, I just say to him, "Yeah, thanks Synapse."

Still... "Two people with superhuman reaction speeds on the same team? I wouldn't exactly call that fair, Quix. How about you, Winddancer, and All American on one team and Fox, Lexi, and me on another team?" Then, I go back to plugging the cables into the back.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Location: Meeting RoomVIDEO GAME CENTRAL | Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

I definitely end up staring at Quix for a bit longer than would be polite as she crunches into her spoon. Uh. Having missed Viscosity dissolve her own earlier, I have no idea why she did that. Eventually I just decide not to comment and move on, and Red Fox provides the perfect opportunity by arriving. I let out a good natured groan, mugging in her direction at her pun. "Welcome back Red! Just in time for the game."

A bit of bickering about the teams proceeds, and I'm maybe a little glad I didn't end up with Red Fox and Quixzot and Showstopper, since dunking on people is only fun for a little bit, and only for the stacked team. I'm a little more bummed that Synapse backs out, but he has a point. "This is true, but you'll only get better if you practice." I don't fuss too much though, he can always swap in. Even if I was on the power team I'm confident I wouldn't come in lowest on the kill count. "I think those teams should work pretty well." I nod to Showstopper and start to login to the first Xbox. "Hmm." Again, no joy. "That's odd, I must be remembering the password... I'm sure that was the password..." I spend a few more minutes, then pull out my phone to do a password reset request, looking confused and embarrassed.

Provoke Showstopper into owning up to messing with All American Girl's accounts, and fix them
2d6+1=13
Mark a condition if you don't, and add a team to the pool if you do

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Well, we've already proven that Quix is great with plasma weapons so you're all screwed. But yeah, teams sound fair. Let's go" I chuckle, facing the team.

Realizing Halo isn't starting up, I look at AAG.

"... what's the hold up, AAG?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

"I don't know about that. My thing is - if some of y'all can use your superhuman reflexes, I should be able to occasionally knock the controller out of your hands telekinetically. Only seems fair to me."

I laugh and grab a few slices of pizza, stuffing them into one of the ice cream bowls and sitting down on one of the arms of the couch.

"Huh. Can't log in? Is the internet working?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ugh, I'd forgotten about this. I didn't want to embarrass her in front of everyone... So, I try and salvage it, saying, "Eh, you probably got it right. The password probably just expired. They're getting really anal about that kinda stuff. Or maybe some script kiddie decided to have some fun with their records." I shrug, adding, "It's not like we really need it to play locally, right?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hey, people that aren't related to me or a teacher seem excited to see me. Definitely not used to that as Lauren. I join everyone around the giant monitors, taking a seat on the couch to watch as they get things setup. I have to wire equipment all the time at my internship; I don't mind not doing it in my spare time. The couch is comfy, and I relax back into it while feeling slightly ridiculous like usual. Something about a superhero leaning back on a couch relaxing is just so counter to what I usually think, what we're supposed to be about, that it's funny to me.

Quix is super excited to see me, and I return zhe's excitement in kind. "Hi Quix." Well the Helmet makes it sound flat, but the excitement is there! Synapse meanwhile noticed some things on the footage, and offers to catch me up. "I'd like to know what was found out, so yes." And Showstopper both correctly guesses that I'd waited for a good line to enter on, and teases me about the Herald. "Aww, they're getting over their crush on me already?" Now I have to watch the footage.

Things sure do seem to be taking a while. First there's debate about the teams, then about who can use what powers, finally trouble logging into the account? C'mon, let's just enjoy the game, not care this much about it. "I can't not use my reflexes," well actually I can, "but do we really care about using powers? Lets just play the game."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Well, since it's either all or nothing in that regard and both me and Lexi pretty much can only destroy the controllers and/or console, I'd go with no. Keep powers down as low as possible."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Location: Meeting RoomVIDEO GAME CENTRAL | Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

"Eh, I guess..." I'm pretty sure microsoft doesn't do password resets on their old xbox, but if someone did hack into their system, which happens way to often with all the super tech genius that get born, maybe they'd do a full reset on everyone to be safe? Seemed reasonable. "And yeah we do! I've got custom skins and everything! Just give me a minute..." Eventually the password reset process goes through, and I get us all logged in. I can't tell if they came to a conclusion on the power debate or not though. "Please don't destroy my controllers and/or console Winddancer." I make a face, then grin. "And I'll warn you, if you all are going to use your powers, I'll have to take off my limiters and show you my final form!" I crack my knuckles, and pick up the controller. "Of Halo skill."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

It seems I've sparked something of a controversy.

"Just a joke, guys. The last thing I need when I sit down to lose at these is to have the controller ferried away by alien micro-rockets or shot out of my hands."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Yeah, nice to meet you too," I told Red Fox, but then they kinda moved on just like that, so... oh well. It felt weird talking to someone with a helmet on, since no one else was doing much to disguise their identity. Also they were using a voice modder so there wasn't a good way to tell how they really felt. It was kind of... Ugh. Annoying. It didn't really help their first impression, especially when the press was always talking about how bad they were. I knew I shouldn't pay attention to what the press said, especially if we were going to be teammates, but... well, whatever.

While the others set up I sneaked over and gave Quix a pat on the shoulder. "Sorry," I whispered. "You probably shouldn't copy me, I'm not real good at the human stuff anymore either."

I sat down with an empty space between me and Red Fox, so that Showstopper could sit between us and did a few finger limbering motions to prep. Which probably looked really disturbing, but pride was on the line here and I wasn't going to get punked on my first day.

See, relearning motor skills and hand-eye coordination were a big, ginormous, part of my therapy over the past few months. I had to start with Pillsbury doughboy mittens and work my way back up to fingers, and thinking about it too hard made the whole thing torture. Video games were my salvation. You need hands to play games, and I remembered how the controller was supposed to feel, so it was all automatic and I didn't have to overthink it. I hadn't played OG Halo in a really long time though. Who the heck doesn't own an Xbox 360 by now? (I mean sure, the xbone was crap, but what is this, 1999?)

Anyway, my hands don't get tired no matter how many times I throw a fireball, and I have what amounts to molecular level control over my body. Which means while my moves aren't the fastest- they're extremely precise. Basically? I'm the sniper from hell.

Which I am not going to tell anybody until the headshots start adding up. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Are we seriously debating this?! "Whatever everyone thinks is fair, I'm fine with it." I just want to relax, hang out with my awesome superhero friends, and do my best to take my minds off things. Like holding mom's hand, seeing that she'd already started to get thinner and-

Oh, Lexi's sitting next to me. That's not helping me take my mind off things, tragedy-wise, but she actually seems... cool with it? At the least she's entirely less freaked out than I'd be by it, no matter how long ago it happened. I mean, total honesty time, she's always been sort of hopelessly crusading against my academic ability. I'm just, I dunno? My dad was a super scientist before he passed, my mom was a professor until a couple months ago. It's not fair to Lexi, my parents used to quiz me all the time, provide mandatory supplementary reading, take me to museums and zoos and state parks all the time - I got extremely lucky. Doesn't feel like it anymore, but... I can't imagine the shoes she's in. Does she still have her parents though?

It's not a fair thought, but I realize I've been staring at her while everyone else gets things fixed. Not that she can tell that exactly, but my helmet's been faced towards her dead-center so she probably still can. Trying to salvage the situation, I lean heavily on the persona I'm trying to craft for myself as Red Fox. She's dangerous and incredibly competent, totally no-nonsense. "Care to spar some time Viscosity? Eager to see what you can do."

• Locked thread