Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tin can made man posted:

How freaked out do you think Jay Garrick will be when he learns that Earth 1s Flash straight murdered a member of his rogues gallery for hot dog crime

The twist is that Earth-1 was Earth-3 all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:allears:

I liked this episode.

I'll miss Dad Flash...that was the lovely part of it. Everything else was nice for a TV show like this.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

tin can made man posted:

How freaked out do you think Jay Garrick will be when he learns that Earth 1s Flash straight murdered a member of his rogues gallery for hot dog crime

He was such a weird choice to use as a villian, given that DC most often wound up using him as a hero. (Infinity, Inc, JLA, JSA, and when he went off the rails, Suicide Squad). He's always been used as a foil for Black Adam, not Flash, so the fact that they decided to stuff him into this particular plotline seems odd.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

enraged_camel posted:

Both the villain, and the way he was defeated, were also terrible. "He feeds on nuclear energy, how do we stop him??? Oh wait, just feed him more energy than he can absorb!" Are you loving kidding me? I was hoping they would do away with dumb villains after last season's robot bee girl, but I guess not.

I know over loading the villain has been done to death, but haven't they already done that on season 1? I honestly can't remember.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the biggest issue was using the flashbacks. Sometimes I was not sure what time period I was looking at and it was really disjointed. Like yea, they were talking about Ronnie being dead, but there he is firestorming it up.

The effects on Atom Smasher were really, really bad. Like Doctor Who bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Season 4: Liber8

You loving TEASE.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lelandjs posted:

Disappointed that Jay didn't introduce himself as the fastest man alive.

Guy A. Person posted:

Garrick should have just shown up in full gear for that final "oh poo poo!" moment.
Yeah, real missed opportunity there.

zoux posted:

I felt like Atom Smasher was barely in the episode, you probably could've left a villian of the week out all together but then I guess, who's gonna ominously croak "Zoom..."
Jay? Or just save it for episode two.

Spatula City posted:

Henry going "I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW SON" was clearly written around the actor not being available as much for some reason, right? not very smooth.
The only reason I can see for it is if they want him out of the show completely, but didn't want to kill him off. He could easily have stayed and just shown up for two minutes every other episode, because he's settling into his new life and isn't part of the Flash's team.

Xelkelvos posted:

I didn't expect Jay to show up this early.
Knowing he was going to, I was just waiting for it the entire episode.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Getting rid of Flashdad was so cringeworthy I can't believe they didn't work around whatever issue caused it. Unless they legitimately just wanted that actor gone... "His cameo has lasted long enough, we're done with you now, old Flash."

Also, I thought Atom Smasher was a good guy? He was in JLU, which is the only other time I've seen him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darke GBF posted:

Also, I thought Atom Smasher was a good guy? He was in JLU, which is the only other time I've seen him.

It will turn out that Zoom is here on purpose to stop Flash because Flash is evil. We are witnessing events in the evil timeline / dimension :tinfoil:

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

You'd think "slow down son, I need to go see the world again now that I am a free man!" would be an easier and obviously more natural way to go than "gently caress you son, you don't need me anymore. Bye!" Similarly, is there a reason why the bad Amell was killed off? Is it because he got the Xfiles job?

This episode was otherwise serviceable. I really don't like villains of the week because they always go down in a formulaic way, I'd prefer a tighter season long storyline.

Also, I hope Tom Cavanagh really lives up to being a season regular again and has a solid role and not just consistent cameos

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Gotta say, out of all my comic shows this week, this one was the weakest. Shield killed it, and Arrow was definitely better than this, but I'm not worried. I think maybe they just had too much ground to cover.

"My name is Jay Garrick and your world is in danger" was lame. I agree he should have said, "And I am the Flash/fastest man alive, etc." Also, like others I have a real problem that they killed Atom Smasher when so much about this show used to be doing whatever possible to imprison the metas. Hopefully they'll address that.

Also, can't wait to find out the nature of Cisco's powers...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
MY NAME IS JAY GARRICK, AND I AM THE SECOND FASTEST MAN ALIVE. WHEN I WAS A CHILD, I HAD A PRETTY GOOD CHILDHOOD AND BOTH OF MY PARENTS ARE STILL ALIVE. PLUS, I RUN REALLY FAST. IT'S PRETTY AWESOME, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.

*Flash Logo*

Also, I didn't mind the Atom-Smasher special effects, and Edge really killed it in that role. I mean, he didn't have to do more than growl and throw things, but still.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Season 4: Liber8

Season 5: Barry just starts ignoring defeated super villains in the halls between class and saying mean things about them behind their back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
That wasn't a great episode. I mean, Cisco and Joe were great, and Iris wasn't terrible anymore, but I agree with whoever said it felt like when Arrow stopped giving a poo poo about making the characters/moments feel real and organic just railroaded the plot along the pre-planned beats. The villain was bad, them killing a dude without mentioning it again was bad, the villain was bad and Flashdad leaving was really bad. Also, no awesome Wells mystery stinger. Not really sure what they'd replace it with though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well... in theory the thing with Atom Smasher as a 'villain' this episode is that he just had to be willing to kill one man, and then he could go home. I mean, I dunno why he killed his alternate self (desperation after being spotted?), but in theory, he could have been a hero back home (whether he came from Earth-2 or somewhere else), but was tempted enough by Zoom's offer so as to become a threat.

...Man imagine if after getting his hat back, Jay asked if anyone had seen his good friend Al around.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Barry made a cameo in Arrow (in a 6 month on flash forwards).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MooselanderII posted:

You'd think "slow down son, I need to go see the world again now that I am a free man!" would be an easier and obviously more natural way to go than "gently caress you son, you don't need me anymore. Bye!"

They also missed the chance to have Flash asking him for advice every few episodes and him being at a different beach in a different part of the world, partying with different people every time, just chillin' for the next 15 years.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone know if there are any behind the scenes issues related to Amell minor not being on the show anymore? Killing off half of firestorm seems really random, especially the way they did it in such a casual offhand way in the premiere instead of making it part of the cliffhanger.

I think a big part of the problem with that episode was the structure - if you kept the same plot points, but started right where season 1 left off and went through everything without the flashbacks it would have been a stronger episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They wanted Firestorm on Legends, but he's kind of moved on to movies now and probably didn't want to sign on for a full 13 episode show or whatever it is.

So the only real solution there to keep Firestorm is to replace him. As a bonus for them, that happened in the comics a bunch of times anyway.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Watched it before work this morning. Didn't knock my socks off, but I certainly still enjoyed myself. Cisco was great, Joe was great, and no one was awful except Atom Smasher. I do wish that for the Jay Garrick reveal, they'd had him zip over, take Joe's gun, then zip back to where he was and put it on the ground, or something like that. Then he could introduce himself. Either that, or say something like "My name is Jay Garrick, and I'm the Flash. Have you seen my hat?"

All in all, though, I'm looking forward to this season.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Watched it before work this morning. Didn't knock my socks off, but I certainly still enjoyed myself. Cisco was great, Joe was great, and no one was awful except Atom Smasher. I do wish that for the Jay Garrick reveal, they'd had him zip over, take Joe's gun, then zip back to where he was and put it on the ground, or something like that. Then he could introduce himself. Either that, or say something like "My name is Jay Garrick, and I'm the Flash. Have you seen my hat?"

All in all, though, I'm looking forward to this season.

"Take one more step forwards and I'll drop you"
*Takes one more step forwards* nothing happens.

Your version of the Jay Garrick reveal would be much better I think for a majority of people. I only know he is some other Flash due to people spoiling it in here. He could have said "I am Random McRandomperson, your world is in danger" and it would have had the same impact for most people.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone know if there are any behind the scenes issues related to Amell minor not being on the show anymore? Killing off half of firestorm seems really random, especially the way they did it in such a casual offhand way in the premiere instead of making it part of the cliffhanger.

I think a big part of the problem with that episode was the structure - if you kept the same plot points, but started right where season 1 left off and went through everything without the flashbacks it would have been a stronger episode.

Well there was probably the fact that Caitlin Snow becomes Killer Frost which is a storyline that can't happen if Caitlin and Ronnie are happy newlyweds. Plus they probably like teasing the whole Caitlin/Barry shipping thing which is supposedly popular (I don't do Tumblr so IDK). And if they're temporarily with only half of Firestorm then it's easier for Stein to fill in the "wise mentor back at base" role in place of Harrison Wells.

Robbie Amell's movie career was doubtless also a factor.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This was a good season 1 resolution episode. It was a mediocre season premiere.

They should have had a 2 hour finale with the finale we got and this episode (and I wonder how much of the cut stuff from that episode ended up in this one).

I want Cisco to using his power already, I'm excited for that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

This was a good season 1 resolution episode. It was a mediocre season premiere.

They should have had a 2 hour finale with the finale we got and this episode (and I wonder how much of the cut stuff from that episode ended up in this one).

I want Cisco to using his power already, I'm excited for that.

Yeah precisely. I honestly still think it would have been vastly improved with a higher profile villain and a flashier reveal for Jay Garrick. Season 1 began with Weather Wizard and ended with Reverse Flash which are pretty solid bookends, season 2 started with Atom Smasher - a sometimes JSA villain (but mostly hero) that really doesn't have anything to do with the Flash. And someone earlier (or possibly in the BSS TV thread) pointed out that he doesn't read comics and had no idea who Jay Garrick was; you intro him in the costume, or catching Joe's bullet, or basically doing/saying anything that shows that this guy is special.

I honestly didn't mind the Flash-dad thing because I think it does make sense for a bunch of reasons said and unsaid, but again it contributes to an unexciting downer season premiere. It could have been the first scene at the beginning of next episode and I would be fine with it, but the way they used the season premiere entirely for setup/status quo cleanup was a really odd decision.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
...did the Flash just get a Flash-light? :haw:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm kind of wondering if they're not getting rid of John Wesley Shipp because he's Zoom. It'd certainly give Barry a lot of drama to have his real dad as well as one of his paternal figures turn out to be a big evil dude.

Also, I'm really not looking forward to the introduction of Iris' love triangle rival next episode. They're explicitly introducing her to be "the Flashs' Felicity Smoak", which I don't like in and of itself, because Felicity herself wasn't, to the best of my knowledge planned, at least in terms of her impact and trying to force another character to fit that mold bugs me even if they can make it work. Putting that aside though, they already have a character that basically fits that mold in almost every way with Caitlin, so why the gently caress are they introducing another one? Caitlin is a sciency girl who helps in the Flash Hub and has a good chemistry with the lead actor as well as being fun to watch interact with a lot of the rest of the cast and watch in and of herself. She's not even hooked up with Ronnie anymore thanks to his actor having moved on. Nothing against her actress (who I'm completely unfamiliar with), but I hope it blows up in their face and they have to ditch her, simply because I don't think forcing that kind of role insertion is something that should be encouraged.

Then again, I'm not even fond of the fact that they're bringing Cavanaugh back. It seems a bad sign that they're unwilling to let a character go just because the audience is fond of him and are basically just trying to find excuses to keep him around instead of having the confidence to put aside a character or actor when their role is done.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man. Can people at least wait until they see how poo poo is implemented before complaining nowadays?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wow. I hate all change and just want everything to stay the same or else this show is trash!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yup, complaining about the introduction of one specific character whose only purpose is to appeal to a demographic and not to serve the story or cast itself in any way is exactly the same as hating all change. Also, complaining about how the show is afraid of changing it's cast by ditching a popular character when his purpose has been served is also the same as saying that all change is bad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tsob posted:

Yup, complaining about the introduction of one specific character whose only purpose is to appeal to a demographic and not to serve the story or cast itself in any way is exactly the same as hating all change. Also, complaining about how the show is afraid of changing it's cast by ditching a popular character when his purpose has been served is also the same as saying that all change is bad.

Shrug, It's the CW, all of these characters only purpose is to appeal to a demographic. Doesn't mean it can't be well implemented.

Plus it was the CW, not the show runners themselves mentioning her being a "Felicity Smoak".

It doesn't make it any less dumb to complain about the fact that the worst case scenario would be bad. Not even allowing them a chance to show what they have planned for the Character.

Ditto with Wells, A completely different Wells from another timeline or whatever could be a fun addition. It could be bad but complaining just because something could be bad is loving dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tsob posted:

Yup, complaining about the introduction of one specific character whose only purpose is to appeal to a demographic and not to serve the story or cast itself in any way

Before they've been on the show.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boy if they make all the worst possible decisions and write everything poorly then this is going to be one bad season of television

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

tsob posted:

Also complaining about Wells coming back. Again, before it's happened.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

This would have been a solid episode in general but is kind of weak for a season opener. Should have had a slightly higher profile villain and Garrick should have just shown up in full gear for that final "oh poo poo!" moment.

You mean the hat? Barry's got the hat remember.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I just loved the whole Atom Smasher
:flashfap: "wait you're supposed to be dead how are you here?"
:itjb: "you wouldn't believe me if i told you..."
:flashfap: "oh I don't know about that"

then proceed to still not explain anything (even though it's p obvious).

I, too, didn't really mind the atom smasher cheeseball sfx. I mean, it's a TV show on the CW about a comic book character. It was certainly better than the garbage weather bros and bug eyed beth.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
^^^^oh hi

Did I miss it, or was there honestly no explanation given for Rothstein being strangled and dead as well as alive as the Atom-Smasher beyond 'you wouldn't believe me if I told you'?

I assume the answer has something to do with parallel world fuckery, but that seemed like a relatively significant point that all the characters sort of forgot about.

I was a little disappointed to have sulky Flash; I hope it doesn't last. There's enough angst on Arrow, this is supposed to be the fun show!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spergatory posted:

Well, that certainly was a season premiere. Already I am seeing signs of things I do not like. What kinds of things?

If there was a word that I could use to describe Season 3 of Arrow, it would probably be lazy. For some reason, they just kind of stopped caring. About making things plausible, about keeping character motivations consistent and believable, about including necessary beats so the story makes sense, about keeping track of things like an entire character in the middle of a loving fight scene. Seriously, one of Our Heroes gets electrocuted into unconsciousness during a fight scene and at the end of the fight, everyone else just walks off in slow motion. No one bothers to check on him. No one even mentions him. The showrunners straight-up admitted they forgot he was there. That's the level of sheer, sloppy laziness we're talking about here.

I'm not sure I would call Flash lazy yet, but... well, it sure did feel like there were some beats missing in this episode. It sure did feel like some things were skipped in order to get through plot points faster. It sure did feel like some of these character moments weren't exactly earned. I would really like to be wrong about this being signs of things to come. I guess we'll see.

just based off this one episode I totally agree. And I also 100% agree with your assessment of Arrow last season.

Also, was Jay Garrick the guy photographing Barry walking out of that police thing? Or was that some other guy?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

evenworse username posted:

^^^^oh hi

Did I miss it, or was there honestly no explanation given for Rothstein being strangled and dead as well as alive as the Atom-Smasher beyond 'you wouldn't believe me if I told you'?

I assume the answer has something to do with parallel world fuckery, but that seemed like a relatively significant point that all the characters sort of forgot about.

I was a little disappointed to have sulky Flash; I hope it doesn't last. There's enough angst on Arrow, this is supposed to be the fun show!

The answer seemed really obvious that he's a parallel version of himself, I don't think it required an explanation.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

evenworse username posted:

^^^^oh hi

Well, Barry started to accept his team back at the end of the chapter, didn't he? So more happy Flash...yeah?

About the not explaining why Atom Smasher killed his other self, I HOPE they address that later in the series. It would suck if they pretend to forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Killing atom smasher was a seriously odd move, considering Al is a good-guy-who-has-bad-moments and not the other way around. He didn't really hurt many people to cause the whole "sorry I hate to kill you but I can't let you hurt more people spiel" either

• Locked thread