Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

iZombie is back for Season 2! Airing Tuesday on the CW at 9/8c.

Why should I watch more zombie poo poo? Also, it has a terrible name. Because despite the excess of zombie crap in every medium (and yes, the lovely name), iZombie still manages to be a fun take on an over-saturated genre. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and week after week manages to pump out a solid hour of entertainment. The actors are funny, the writing is good, and you even get the occasional major rear end kicking scene to the dulcet sounds of "Des Kommisar" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSec4WYBH4 (big spoilers)

What more could you really ask for?

Important People/Undead

Liv Moore (Rose McIver)

Went to a really, really bad party and got turned into a zomb. Now works at the morgue for easy, secret access to brains. Unfortunately, when she eats said brains she 1) takes on aspects of the brain's personality, and 2) has visions related to its previous owner's demise. Both symptoms cause problems and weekly shenanigans ensue. She not a big fan of the whole brain eating thing, but if she stops she'll turn into a mindless undead beast. So...lesser of two evils?

And oh yeah, when she's super pissed she goes into 'full on zombie mode' with crazy red eyes and turns into a berserker. It's entertaining.

Ravi (Rahul Kohli)

Got fired from the CDC for his 'crazy belief zombies exist.' He now works in the morgue with Liv, and is one of the only people to know her secret. He's diligently working on a cure, which Liv probably just messed up at the end of last season. Good job, Liv.

Detective Babineaux (Malcolm Goodwin)

Liv eats the brains of murder victims at the morgue. She gets visions. She tells Babineaux about the visions under the guise of 'being a psychic.' Together they investigate. He pretty much buys Liv's psychic thing, but is probably going to start to smell something fishy soon.

Blaine (David Anders)

The dude that turned Liv into a zombie. And a shitload of other people. He runs a mini-zombie empire where he turns rich people, then charges them outrageous amounts of money for brains. Ravi's experimental cure turned him into a human at the end of last season, and it remains to be seen how he'll manage not to get murdered as soon as his clients figure out he's no longer undead. He is also a hilarious rear end in a top hat.

Major Lilywhite (Robert Buckley)

Yes, that's really his name.

Used to be Liv's fiance, but she dumped him without explination when she turned zomb. He spent most of last season freaking out trying to figure out what was happening to the at-risk kids he mentored Blaine was killing them to sell their brains to his clients. Turned into a badass at the end of the season, but also turned into a zomb. Liv used the last of Ravi's experimental cure on him. Whether or not there are side-effects remain to be seen.

And oh yeah, he's super pissed at Liv now for not telling him earlier she was a zombie and letting him think he was nuts for suspecting anything. Drama!

There's also some larger plots about an evil company being involved in the outbreak, and some family drama with Liv. But none of that is really vital knowledge to sitting down and enjoying the show.

Have Fun!

Link to season 1 thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706991

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nice OP. One thing worth mentioning is that it is made by the same creator who made Veronica Mars, and it pretty much has that same tone.
So if you like Veronica Mars (and who doesn't?) you should go out of your way to watch this show, even though zombies might not be your thing.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah, it has a tone that reminds people of Veronica Mars meets Dead Like Me, but it still manages to be very much it's own thing. If you think the iZombie comics suck, don't worry, so does everyone else. The show, however, is great and only very loosely related. During season 1 it was the thing I was most looking forward to watching each week. It strikes a nice balance between case-of-the-week and serial, and the most common complaints during the first season were actually addressed later in the show itself.

The video at the top of the OP should have a major spoilers for season 1 warning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never got a gif of Liv dancing like I requested like 5 months.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Etalommi posted:

The video at the top of the OP should have a major spoilers for season 1 warning.

Major major spoilers for season 1 warning, you mean?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

You want dancing images? Here you go.

BONUS:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes!

She has a cute bum!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So did the season premiere come on tonight or what? My DVR was supposed to record it I think, but then it just went "lol nope" and decided not to. Kinda expected more posts for a new episode...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, it happened and it was great. Probably on the CW website before too long.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

raditts posted:

So did the season premiere come on tonight or what? My DVR was supposed to record it I think, but then it just went "lol nope" and decided not to. Kinda expected more posts for a new episode...

Yup!

I enjoyed the opener. Not destined to be a favorite episode, but they did a really good job covering a bunch of ground without it feeling like an info dump. Got a couple loud guffaws from me too.

Basically it all the same notes as last season, in a good way. I think we're in for a run of similar quality. :dance:

Also Babineaux better adopt that dog, dammit!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo

How can Major possibly come back from this, that was horrifying

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Holy poo poo

How can Major possibly come back from this, that was horrifying

I'm choosing to believe there was some form of fake-out there until I'm proven wrong.

(please be a fake out I don't want Major to go insane from dealing with poo poo like that)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

I'm choosing to believe there was some form of fake-out there until I'm proven wrong.

(please be a fake out I don't want Major to go insane from dealing with poo poo like that)

Maybe he'll manage to instead turn this into a zombie protection service where he's somehow pretending to kill them while actually getting them into hiding.

I hope :ohdear:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

This show... going back to "Life, it hates you Major." I love it. Blaine being a douche. Their super-detector power.

Although red-head best step off soon. I don't like her and want Peyton back as roomie.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe he'll manage to instead turn this into a zombie protection service where he's somehow pretending to kill them while actually getting them into hiding.

I hope :ohdear:

I could see Major trying this at first but getting caught quickly :ohdear:

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I thought the episode was great, set up a lot of different plot threads for the season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I should have known I was silly thinking that Major knowing everything would mean he's no longer the best/darkest part of the show.

I can't wait for Peyton to come back but the new roomie is hot as hell and better stick around!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Great opener, though I can already tell I'm going to really, really hate the Max Rager crew. Which is a mark of great writing if you genuinely hate the villains but uuuugh it's so frustrating just eat the redhead Liv

Also, "If I wanted to give her a depressing name, I would have gone with 'Phantom Menace'." God, I missed this show :allears:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

I can't wait for Peyton to come back but the new roomie is hot as hell and better stick around!

Didn't the actress leave for another show?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kegslayer posted:

Didn't the actress leave for another show?

She left for a pilot but it wasn't picked up so she's coming back

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Playing that Hooters song was just so incredibly cheesy. I missed this show. :allears:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Wait....what's this in the op about Ravi been fired? I don't recall this.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ravi was spazzing out about zombies even before he met Liv, which got him fired from the CDC. I think meeting Liv was the first time he realized zombies were real, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I fell off the bandwagon of this show about halfway through season 1, glad to hear it held up. Really though I just want to know if they kept up the incredible store names in...wherever the show is set.

I just want another charcuterie with a name as good as "Meat Cute." Or that new spice shop, A Season for all Seasons.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
How could they not tell us who headed in the goal for Arsenal?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TyrantWD posted:

How could they not tell us who headed in the goal for Arsenal?

It was a trick question, they didn't score :smug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A bit disapointed they didn't kill off kid brother. Especially since it seemed to be a huge deal, but nope lol another doctor had his bloodtype.

Major getting the best plot. It is going to be amazing when he finally gets his revenge on Max Rager CEO and evil redhead assistant.

"Thanks, you're one of the good ones"

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Okay, the brother is taking this awfully personally. I mean, if I had the level of info that he does I'd be all "thanks for not giving me hep C, or AIDS, or w/e" but nope, we gotta have Drama.

I want to hate Matahari the Diabolical Redhead but I just can't. She was so timid last season and now she's blossomed into the criminal mastermind she was meant to be. I hope she has some last second change of heart and she and Liv become bffs and take down Max Rager together, or failing that, the douche in charge.

David Anders is still fantastic as the slimiest guy in the room.

I felt terrible for the perp of the week. He just loved his dog :smith:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I totally forgot this show was coming back!

New episode was amazing, I've been watching Fear The Walking Dead and completely forgot what it was like to have a zombie show with good writers.

Also, the CW continues to commission those awesome comic book-like covers for the episodes, so here it is! (If anyone else also wants to post them in the future, they show up on the show's Facebook fan page, FYI.)

Poor Liv. Poor Major. :smith:

atomicgeek posted:

I was kind of hoping they were going to let him off scot-free, but when you're dangling the perp's shoe in the evidence bag, it's just too late for that. :smith:

EDIT: Honestly, it's pretty awesome how a show with so much :smith: is also somehow incredibly upbeat and entertaining, much like VM was. The writers and Rob Thomas really know how to pace the show so the :smith: is from the plot points, rather than letting it curdle into a soul-crushing ambiance of depression.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 8, 2015

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Blaine's Jimmy Stewart impression was awesome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

atomicgeek posted:

Okay, the brother is taking this awfully personally. I mean, if I had the level of info that he does I'd be all "thanks for not giving me hep C, or AIDS, or w/e" but nope, we gotta have Drama.

It's pissing me off that she won't just use that as an excuse. She doesn't even have to say she has HIV, just that she got exposed recently and may have it, the test results aren't back yet.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

^^ I can only assume she's avoiding doing that so her mom doesn't demand to see bloodwork, etc, to help her figure out treatment. She's a doctor too, right?

atomicgeek posted:

In fairness, the kid did just get blown up so he's gunna be a bit touchy right now. And it seems like his mom is egging him on. But yeah, drama.

Ditto on feeling bad for the perp. :smith: I didn't really get why the victim took the dog, either. Was it just because he was an rear end in a top hat, or was the fact it was apparently decently cared for supposed to mean he stole it because he was lonely or something?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I also was a bit annoyed that she couldn't come up with a medical reason for not being able to donate blood. A bigger annoyance though is that Detective Babineaux apparently hasn't picked up that Liv picks up the personalities of the victims yet. It's really not very subtle at all and he already believes she's a psychic.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Maybe she just needs some lady aspirin?

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Ridiculous medical nonsense like this always irks me. Have the writers never heard of a blood bank? O negative blood isn't exactly rare either. The thought of asking patient or staff to donate blood to a trauma patient in the ER (whoops we're just all out of blood today!) is laughable. And whenever patients or family ask me about family directed blood transfusions we always tell them no anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

THF13 posted:

I also was a bit annoyed that she couldn't come up with a medical reason for not being able to donate blood. A bigger annoyance though is that Detective Babineaux apparently hasn't picked up that Liv picks up the personalities of the victims yet. It's really not very subtle at all and he already believes she's a psychic.

That is also really irritating. Even if he hasn't picked up on it himself, she should just tell him. "I get psychic visions and pick up personality traits from dead people" isn't any harder to believe than "I get psychic visions from dead people".

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

By the way, Season 1 was recently added to Netflix.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

karrethuun posted:

Ridiculous medical nonsense like this always irks me. Have the writers never heard of a blood bank? O negative blood isn't exactly rare either.

I thought O- was the rare one.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

raditts posted:

I thought O- was the rare one.

:science: O+ is common. AB- is rare. If they had THAT one, it wouldn't matter anyway, as they could, in theory, take anything. But blood typing isn't just about Rh factor (+ vs -) and O, A, B, and AB. There are other little things too. The hospital never would have allowed family transfer; it's a lawsuit waiting to happen if one isn't a complete match or had a transmissible disease, since you didn't screen it.

This could probably have been handled by her mom arguing that she's never there, or somehow, make it in the past that Liv referred him to the job. But yeah, just turn off brain, watch the pretty pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

That is also really irritating. Even if he hasn't picked up on it himself, she should just tell him. "I get psychic visions and pick up personality traits from dead people" isn't any harder to believe than "I get psychic visions from dead people".

Yeah, but "I get psychic visions from dead people" is much easier to deal with than "I get psychic visions and pick up personality traits from dead people by eating their brain matter."

quote:

AB- is rare. If they had THAT one, it wouldn't matter anyway, as they could, in theory, take anything

Not quite. A person who's AB Neg could receive any Neg. O- can only receive from other O- but could potentially give to anyone. AB+ could receive from potentially anyone but only give to other AB+

johntfs fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread