Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I fell behind and just caught up on the last few episodes - is it just me or have Liv's personality changes this season been way more cartoonish than previously? Like, she eats someone's brain and then instead of just getting influenced by their stronger personality traits she goes all-in on one really extreme thing that's not even necessarily a personality trait. Like, the D&D guy probably wasn't living D&D 24 hours a day, and the dad-brain turned her into the dadliest dad imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
D&D guys do live it 24/7. I know a dude who carried dice with him to make hard decisions.
It's not a game, it's a lifestyle.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tiggum posted:

I fell behind and just caught up on the last few episodes - is it just me or have Liv's personality changes this season been way more cartoonish than previously? Like, she eats someone's brain and then instead of just getting influenced by their stronger personality traits she goes all-in on one really extreme thing that's not even necessarily a personality trait. Like, the D&D guy probably wasn't living D&D 24 hours a day, and the dad-brain turned her into the dadliest dad imaginable.

The personality changes have definitely been way more pronounced. One explanation I've heard is now that Clive and Peyton and everyone around her is aware of the full situation and she doesn't have to try to appear "normal," she no longer really bothers to try suppressing the brain's personality unless it's destructive behavior.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
She might even be subconsciously reinforcing the personality shifts by acting like she thinks the brain's owner would, due to the pressure of doing this to solve crimes/mysteries and thus having to "connect" (if she just wanted to eat, she could adopt the tubebrain approach). It'd help explain the stereotypes by having them be exactly that; Liv's stereotypic expectations based on what she knows about the owner.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Liv aping a bunch of dead people she never met, based on some stereotypes makes her sound like a total rear end in a top hat.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Slashrat posted:

She might even be subconsciously reinforcing the personality shifts by acting like she thinks the brain's owner would, due to the pressure of doing this to solve crimes/mysteries and thus having to "connect" (if she just wanted to eat, she could adopt the tubebrain approach). It'd help explain the stereotypes by having them be exactly that; Liv's stereotypic expectations based on what she knows about the owner.

But there have been a few occasions, like this last brain, where she didn't know about their behavior at first but started acting it out anyway. Conversely, if it was influenced by what she knew of them then Ravi's suggestion that she was really attracted to him probably would have taken effect.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, Choreographer brain scene was awesome.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

The personality changes have definitely been way more pronounced. One explanation I've heard is now that Clive and Peyton and everyone around her is aware of the full situation and she doesn't have to try to appear "normal," she no longer really bothers to try suppressing the brain's personality unless it's destructive behavior.

Justin would've tried. Justin :(

TMMadman posted:

Ok, Choreographer brain scene was awesome.

:agreed:

Life is finally done making GBS threads on Major. Now he is purposefully making GBS threads on himself :zombie:

This plan is really retarded. I mean zombie island was stupid too, but this is just suicidal. Either the remaining humans kill the zombies, or the whole city gets bombed into nothing when there are no humans left.

e: I am hyped for next season and the new status quo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 28, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Fuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkk cliffhanger....

Overall though that was a good way to wrap up the season and I suppose a somewhat pleasant twist. But yeah, I don't see that plan working and I have no doubt most will react like that mob (i.e. violently and without care).

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but if I was going to redo the original live action PS1 Resident Evil 1 intro then I'd definitely pick the guy playing Chase Graves.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The best part about all that is it felt like a series finale. If they really wanted to, they could just end the show there, and I'd be perfectly happy.

If they do keep going, I hope something hilarious happens to Ravi as the result of his new vaccine that isn't zombie related. Like he turns into a mummy or something idk. (Possibly just because he fully wrapped himself in toilet paper for no reason.)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like the inversion near the end there where it's a bunch of zombies standing off against a horde of angry living people. I wonder if Liv can finally come out to her family now or if they're still trapped in the Phantom Zone.

Chokes McGee posted:

The best part about all that is it felt like a series finale. If they really wanted to, they could just end the show there, and I'd be perfectly happy.

If they do keep going, I hope something hilarious happens to Ravi as the result of his new vaccine that isn't zombie related. Like he turns into a mummy or something idk. (Possibly just because he fully wrapped himself in toilet paper for no reason.)

He turns into a were-terrier

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like how everyone just assumes zombies are immortal as long as they get brains, despite no one on earth having been a zombie for more than two or three years.

Fillmore Graves has little kid zombies, I wonder if those kids are growing? Any zombie kid go through puberty yet? I wonder how that goes. And now with the fake vaccines there will be petulant toddler zombies. Zombie tantrums. Are they alive, or are they undead?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What a good finale. :3:

Kind of sad that Major has just gone completely off the deep end, but I can understand why. His arc this season was very good, even if I'll miss Ravi-Major Bro Time. The cliffhanger was solid and was a perfect, touching moment for Ravi and Liv, seeing as they really have been through it all from the start. I even found myself not hating Chase Graves at the end, or at least not as much. He's still a bit of a conniving rear end, but I thought it was pretty clear he's genuinely trying to do the best by his zombies while trying to prevent all-out chaos at their reveal to the general public.

I hope they get another season because I love this show more than anything else on tv, but it wrapped everything up pretty drat nicely if they don't.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, the good news for you then is that it's already been renewed for Season 4, so there will be something next year.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah they're apparently starting filming next month so it shouldn't be too long till we know what happens next.

Still bizarre that Rob got a show into the fourth season.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

iajanus posted:

Yeah they're apparently starting filming next month so it shouldn't be too long till we know what happens next.

Hijinks is my guess :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Another really subtle thing I liked is how the next generation of zombies seems to be adapting faster than the adults. The two teenagers looked like they could go full on zombie mode like they were flipping a switch instead of needing to Hulk out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, Dohring's outfit and hairstyle in the scene where Major asks to be scratched gave me hardcore Vanilla Ice flashbacks. Or Powerline from A Goofy Movie.

Is that look coming back?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Rob Thomas dished out some details in interviews on what the status quo will be at the start of Season 4

http://www.cbr.com/izombie-season-3-finale-rob-thomas/

Not sure if it even qualifies as spoilers, but highlights:

• Season four opens 3 months after the finale
  • The side effects of Ravi's vaccine will be revealed in the first episode and they won't be fatal
  • Seattle will become a walled city cut off from the surrounding country, like west Berlin was
  • Filmore Graves will be handling all investigation of murdered zombies, while the Seattle PD will continue to handle murdered humans and other crimes.
  • There's an estimated ten thousand zombies in Seattle and around half a million humans, so zombies are still vastly outnumbered
  • Dale will become Clive's new boss at the PD, since as a zombie she can't leave Seattle

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 28, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zombieism continues to be a revolving door for Major.

I'm really pumped for season 4, it's so rare for a show to buck the status quo this hard.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Jason Dohring had a real Logan moment back when Liv and Babineaux tried to break in, can't rightly complain about that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've honestly been wondering why Major didn't want to be a zombie again almost immediately after he was cured. Being a zombie and being with the zombie squad at FG was really the only time he's been "happy" since the beginning of the show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TMMadman posted:

I've honestly been wondering why Major didn't want to be a zombie again almost immediately after he was cured. Being a zombie and being with the zombie squad at FG was really the only time he's been "happy" since the beginning of the show.

There could have been side effects from repeatedly being rezombied. Of course the cure itself could have had long term side effects. To make the show work they've decided science doesn't exist tho, so LOL.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet Natalie's rich guy is the one who stole the cure. Selling him the cure info was how she was able to get free of him, and have enough money to become a world traveler.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the George Dubya 9/11 reference in the classroom

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Zombieism continues to be a revolving door for Major.

I'm really pumped for season 4, it's so rare for a show to buck the status quo this hard.

I'm still blown away by Chase's "I'm playing the hand I'm dealt you fuckers, there'd be a lot more people dead otherwise" turn

Still, absolute power corrupts absolutely and there was some real clear fascist imagery at the end

Looking forward to Season 4 :allears:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Gifs? Gifs!

Oh, Ravi.

Say what you will about the budding military dictator, but his literary criticism is spot on.

Posted merely to demonstrate the way Liv holds a spoon is friggin weird man

Yup

Wonder what Blaine is going to do for cash now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was that sugar cube that Ravi had the actual cure? I'm wondering why he ate it before even being a zombie. Also, won't Major becoming a zombie again lead to him dying again?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

Was that sugar cube that Ravi had the actual cure? I'm wondering why he ate it before even being a zombie. Also, won't Major becoming a zombie again lead to him dying again?

The sugar cube was a vaccine, not a cure. If it worked, scratching him won't make him a zombie. Because you can totally get a vaccine and then be exposed to the virus 2 minutes later and be protected by the vaccine. An oral vaccine, even. That sugar cube probably hadn't even melted all the way yet.

As for Major, who the gently caress knows? Nobody knows how this zombie stuff works.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love this show.

Hooray for Dohring staying on! I miss that smarmy rear end in a top hat being on my TV.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FoxTerrier posted:

Wonder what Blaine is going to do for cash now

If the season finale is any indication he's doing gangbusters at the Post, enough that he may actually be able to go straight.

Also did anyone notice in the final episode that Blaine was treating Don E as an equal instead of a flunkie? It was really subtle, but instead of him showing up and taking orders, they were legit discussing the nightclub plans. Looks like some time hearing everyone tell him how horrible he is may have actually made a difference :3:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chokes McGee posted:

If the season finale is any indication he's doing gangbusters at the Post, enough that he may actually be able to go straight.

Also did anyone notice in the final episode that Blaine was treating Don E as an equal instead of a flunkie? It was really subtle, but instead of him showing up and taking orders, they were legit discussing the nightclub plans. Looks like some time hearing everyone tell him how horrible he is may have actually made a difference :3:

He'll have to go straight. His 25 grand a month brain business is busted if FG are just going to be giving away basic brain mush to all comers. His initial customers/victims mostly hate his guts and won't keep paying him if there is an alternative.

Selling premium experience brains is his only play.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Wait a minute, doesn't the fact that Major and Blaine both got reinfected after being cured mean that zombieism can't be vaccinated against?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wait a minute, doesn't the fact that Major and Blaine both got reinfected after being cured mean that zombieism can't be vaccinated against?

Shhhhh. Don't think about the science.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah this is some show, but I love how the solution to feeding zombies without killing humans is to just eat the brains of the dead. no real long term planning at all.

reminds me of humans in real life

e: I'm probably thinking of more of a global situation over an isolated one (I know jack about the original story) but my point still stands

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 30, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

yeah this is some show, but I love how the solution to feeding zombies without killing humans is to just eat the brains of the dead. no real long term planning at all.

reminds me of humans in real life

e: I'm probably thinking of more of a global situation over an isolated one (I know jack about the original story) but my point still stands

Well yeah. If half every second person on the planet was infected, it would be a giant problem. But the same could be said about every deadly virus.

And it's not like the dead people need those brains. Those things aren't really something on the donor list.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 30, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hopefully the fact that if more people keep becoming zombies, it will become unsustainable. Granted, there was only a few minutes shown of the rest of the world knowing about zombies, but hopefully there will be rational discussions about why zombies need to be dealt besides just angry reactionaries. They've already shown "angry mob." Now we just need Fox News style old white guy reactionary "THIS IS ALL OBAMA'S FAULT" type thing, and then some sort of scientific panel where someone rationally explains that zombies aren't the future of the human race, and they aren't sustainable in large numbers.

Has eating animal brains come up with the show? There could be some sort of cow brain type thing, or some other livestock animal brain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The show won't bring it up because gently caress consequences and implications, but I wonder what effect this would have on seattle? Do you abandon your $600,000 condo because the neighbours are zombies? Real estate prices will probably plummet due to all the people who will flee, but will any bank give you a mortgage to buy a house there?

You've got a great job at the headquarters of Microsoft, Amazon, or one of these fine establishments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_Seattle Now 10% of your co-workers are zombies. Do you go into work tomorrow?

Then there's the inevitable zombie bloat. Nearly any catastrophic injury or deadly infection can be cured with a scratch. You don't know what the long term side effects may be, but that hardly matters when you or someone you love is dying. How does it work on non-infectious ailments like MS or arthritis? Only one way to find out! Clear all the lazy bums off disability and worker's compensation with this one weird trick!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do fat people stay fat if they become zombies? Food doesn't taste good anymore. Liv mixes her brains in with regular food, but it isn't clear if she needs to eat regular food too. FG zombies seem to just eat their brain mush plain. But they still must burn calories running around doing stuff, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

• Locked thread