Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C06jAb-e_iU

Well this sure was a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dr Subterfuge posted:

That's an interesting take. Something shaped like goggles might do the trick, but it isn't just the elite. The laborers and their overseer in the beginning of the book had it, too.

Service guarantees citizenship!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And citizenship guarantees service. It's a very tidy system.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Are we sure that's what's happening in this place? Does Solomon Dave have that "everyone must be made useful" thing that tyrants often do? I don't think it has been shown to be that way.

Also: the three standard-bearers we see in the third panel all have different medals. Another nice touch.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I like the box full of sulking failsons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I want to think that they each bet the collective wealth of the worlds they rule on Solomon winning, under the reasoning that even a 0.00001% ROI for betting on the all-time champion is still worth it for freeing up some cash to do some minor renovations on their opulent palaces.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I see the salami dave has upgraded his beard into an incense dispenser.

Which kind of incense would be befitting of the diamond tyrant, tho :thunk:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lights posted:

I like the box full of sulking failsons.

Well, you would be grumpy too if your dad looked young, jacked as hell and flexed in your face all the time while you are old and withered.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Absolute Zero ice imported from the coldest world in the universe, just to prove that nothing is impossible for him (except losing, of course).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow, look at all those gogs guards.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Finely minced diamond dust.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I hope we eventually get a smug explanation about what the apparent ritual scarring across everyone's cheeks is about and why the sons in what passes for his government seem to be exempt.

I don't know, but it sure makes it harder to spot gog-markings when you have a helmet covering above the bridge of your nose!

Not quite a match, but enough let you hide it!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

MikeJF posted:

I don't know, but it sure makes it harder to spot gog-markings when you have a helmet covering above the bridge of your nose!

Not quite a match, but enough let you hide it!

I would laugh so hard if Dave's gleaming empire was horribly rotten because he pissed off Gog and all this pagentry was full of worms. I mean, what does Gog offer if not "emotional" contentment. Something perhaps lacking in ways in Dave's place

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

I would laugh so hard if Dave's gleaming empire was horribly rotten because he pissed off Gog and all this pagentry was full of worms. I mean, what does Gog offer if not "emotional" contentment. Something perhaps lacking in ways in Dave's place

The boxfull of failsons lusting after Dad's throne would make a ready home for the Demiurge of Envy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm not the one who brought up taboos, that was an actual quote. I said it was frowned upon, and we have as a thread gotten mad at people for wanting more updates. I'd admit it was a polite post.

We as a thread got mad at people complaining about their patreon donations oweing them more updates. There is a large difference.

pseudorandom name posted:

We discussed that endlessly back when it was new, he's the kind of man that creates a society where people die for him so he can occasionally graciously let them live.

Early death or suicide represents lost future labor and will be billed to your family's soul mortgages.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IMJack posted:

The boxfull of failsons lusting after Dad's throne would make a ready home for the Demiurge of Envy.

It does seem to be the one area in Solomon's realm that's rife with discontent.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think I'm seeing what I'm hoping will happen shortly, but if I were to give a title to the last page would be "Pride before the fall".

I hope I'm actually right, because screw Salami, but I won't hold my breath too much.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

White Chain dies epically, but in the next scene Solomon David noticed he's bleeding.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

the celestial empire gets gogpilled

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

It looks like it feels really good to make that purple fire, like he's having a real good stretch or mooing.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

White Chain dies epically, but in the next scene Solomon David noticed he's bleeding.
White Chain dies epically before returning from the Void to subdue some Evil.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Halogens posted:

It looks like it feels really good to make that purple fire, like he's having a real good stretch or mooing.

Imagine if he's actually mooing and everybody has to pretend its dignified.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Halogens posted:

Goddammit why did I do this

My name is Solomon David. I’m tens of thousands of years old. My home is the grand palace, to the northeast of the colosseum, and I have taken thousands of women as my lovers by my divine right.

I work as the ruler of one-seventh of all existence, and I get home by the twin sunset at the latest. I don’t smoke (for I have decreed it to be punished by ten thousand lashings), but I occasionally drink.

After having a warm glass of milk from the divine herd I personally tend to and doing seven hours of stretches in the time it takes you to blink before going to bed, I usually have no trouble sleeping until the twin sunrise. Just like a baby who isn’t pitifully weak to rule my empire, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning.

I was told that there were no issues at my last check-up (by myself, of course, for only I could possibly detect any imperfections in my body).

I’m trying to explain that I’m an emperor who wishes to lead a quiet life once I have found a worthy successor to my throne. I take care not to trouble myself with any enemies, like losing or my inadequate sons, that would cause me to lose sleep at night. That is how I rule my society, and I know that is what brings happiness to me, and peace and order to my people.

...Although... If I do have to fight, I don’t lose.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Early death or suicide represents lost future labor and will be billed to your family's soul mortgages.
Still not clear on where people picked up that this is a thing that happens.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That feels like more something that would happen under Mammon's rule.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Every suicide in SolDave's realm leads to a full scale investigation of how the state failed the individual, and ends with a lot of people getting punished.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Regalingualius posted:

My name is Solomon David. I’m tens of thousands of years old. My home is the grand palace, to the northeast of the colosseum, and I have taken thousands of women as my lovers by my divine right.

I work as the ruler of one-seventh of all existence, and I get home by the twin sunset at the latest. I don’t smoke (for I have decreed it to be punished by ten thousand lashings), but I occasionally drink.

After having a warm glass of milk from the divine herd I personally tend to and doing seven hours of stretches in the time it takes you to blink before going to bed, I usually have no trouble sleeping until the twin sunrise. Just like a baby who isn’t pitifully weak to rule my empire, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning.

I was told that there were no issues at my last check-up (by myself, of course, for only I could possibly detect any imperfections in my body).

I’m trying to explain that I’m an emperor who wishes to lead a quiet life once I have found a worthy successor to my throne. I take care not to trouble myself with any enemies, like losing or my inadequate sons, that would cause me to lose sleep at night. That is how I rule my society, and I know that is what brings happiness to me, and peace and order to my people.

...Although... If I do have to fight, I don’t lose.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

lots of people itt like to make assumptions about stuff and then treat them as canon

like people who talked about how solomon david cannot bleed as though it were a known canon fact

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

pseudorandom name posted:

Every suicide in SolDave's realm leads to a full scale investigation of how the state failed the individual, and ends with a lot of people getting punished.

Suicide is highly illegal, but suicide-by-cop is trivially easy and extremely accessible, so it's not really an issue.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No it isn't, a cop killing somebody instead of bringing them before Solomon David's justice (where they can be properly executed by appropriate bureaucratic procedure) is in itself a failure of the state and also ends with lots of people getting punished.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's extrapolation from this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

paradoxGentleman posted:

I see you have failed your empire tertiary education exam on social commentary, we regret to inform you that you have no future in imperial law and have been reassigned to eternally labor as a spreadsheet auditor. It will take 12 years to repay your existing student loans.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

It will take 12 years to repay your existing student loans.
poo poo, really? Sign me up!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

poo poo, really? Sign me up!
Financial years are based on Rabuya standard across the entire Empire, not whatever system is used on your no doubt primitive backwater. 12 years was chosen because it is the median life expectancy of mortal citizens after their compulsory education.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

jng2058 posted:

It's extrapolation from this.

I appreciate you digging up this particular ask to help me understand what people are talking about better. It must not have been easy, Tumblr being what it is.

also, what the hell, Solomon, your officers can't even gently caress? Jesus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They can gently caress when they're off-duty. He wasnt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
something something unequal power relationship between officer and civilian something something meaningful consent

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

There’s no evidence that Solomon David’s empire is actually directly horrible if you don’t step out of line; it’s legalistic, authoritarian, and prepared to execute anyone who breaks a law, but he’s intentionally a ‘good tyrant’ - his priorities are peace and safety, prosperity and stability, and he delivers.

Unlike a lot of fictional Good Tyrants, we are never expected to see Solomon David as anything but an antagonist, or consider ‘what if he’s right?’ - tyranny is clearly understood to be bad without specifically having anything hidden or outside of the tyrant’s claims. You don’t need ‘actually everyone is crushed under debt’ or ‘actually the laws are designed to create misery’ because the draconian system will be bad in any case, will claim victims, will do violence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Algid posted:

Financial years are based on Rabuya standard across the entire Empire, not whatever system is used on your no doubt primitive backwater. 12 years was chosen because it is the median life expectancy of mortal citizens after their compulsory education.
Still an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

There’s no evidence that Solomon David’s empire is actually directly horrible if you don’t step out of line; it’s legalistic, authoritarian, and prepared to execute anyone who breaks a law, but he’s intentionally a ‘good tyrant’ - his priorities are peace and safety, prosperity and stability, and he delivers.

The quote under the most recent page says otherwise.