Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Varinn posted:

see I totally disagree here, I think jagganoth and solomon are almost exactly the same in this regard, and last chapters slow teardown of solomon almost certainly mostly applies to jagg as well.

solomon is ALSO dissatisfied with the shittiness of the world, its why he creates this tiny little perfect paradise. he's also, in his mind, mission focused. his whole thing was that he had convinced himself he was creating a whole new system, outside of the rotten one, where he would be succeeded by another perfect warrior-king. jaggs saying "well nothing will actually work so im just going to obliterate everything" is the same thing from a different angle. its convincing yourself that you're doing this for everyone else when really you just can't admit to yourself that you hosed up from the start.

Totally fair; that's absolutely a valid way to read it. Just to explicate more what I see, in my interpretation Solomon David's big amplified negative personality trait is ego. He has an immovable sense of self that makes his blows unstoppable; all of the Celestial Empire is a juche state extension of him built on that foundation. By contrast, based on what we know about Jagg so far, he has *no* ego—it was stripped from him as he was forged into a living weapon and then passed from master to master until he became metatron's and got a glimpse at the true shape of the universe (in a different sense than Jadis though).

In this context, I definitely don't interpret his search for a successor as entirely serious, in the sense that while it's what he says he wants holding such an impossibly high standard is a transparent way of indefinitely postponing the need to ever face the hard reality of giving up authority. My read is that he has more anxiety than he'd let on about being able to achieve Zoss-level royalty and has settled very comfortably into the immortal god-king role while telling himself that it's just for the moment.

The other big point is the difference in purview each sees themselves as having. Solomon isn't trying to solve the problem at its root; change things for everyone. He's creating, as you said, a bubble of rules and order in a sea of chaos. Even if we imagine the Celestial Empire as a legit utopia, Solomon is the most ardent believer in the Pact that dooms 6/7ths of creation to not see any benefit from it, eternally, while Jagg rejects the pact as corrupt and pursues a universal, total upheaval.

They are both definitely reactions to the cycles of violence of the old demiurges, but Solomon David wants to be a 'good' Yemmod while Jagganoth wants to remove the possibility of another Jantris (did anyone else catch that Mottom and Mammon just got explicitly identified with him in the alt text, btw?)

I guess it would come down to how much you believe him that his velvet-fisted rule actually is a complete necessity or not. My baseline assumption is that he could, in fact, retire at any time if he really wanted to—that his empire would not instantly collapse into anarchy, but it might become a less perfect reflection of his ideas and ideals, and he's not really prepared to face that.

relevant page tax:

source

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Jantris wasn't the first storm-browed king mentioned in the text; that's a general term for the demiurges, if that's what you're referring to.

And if anyone is Jantris come again, it's Jagganoth, who repeats nearly the same words as Jantris in speeches (below-comic text about one's death and where it lives) and who bears his key. Jagganoth almost certainly slew him, but Jagganoth is Jantris in every way that matters except that he thinks he's turning people into dead men for the good of all, instead of for his own gain. And Jantris never went half so far nor killed half so many as the Red God, one would suspect.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Lord Intra did not gather a vast army to defeat the wicked Yem Yeddo, nor did he build an empire in the valley once it was liberated.

He did, however, make bread out of stone, and taught the people how to do that.

Did anyone else feel a bit let down by that story?

It came while Allison was learning that she couldn't solve every problem herself with violence, and while we were seeing the limitations of Solomon David who thinks he can do exactly that. Intra, god of swords, shows up in a village oppressed by a robber baron. Instead of looking badass he looks pathetically weak; instead of drawing his sword and fighting them he starts building a bread oven or something. The robber baron notes that this will not work as he has all the grain, then sends his men to kill Intra. At which point he just loving one shots them all.

Not really sure what the moral was. It looked like Intra was going to inspire the people or something, but instead it was very straightforwardly his capacity for violence that saved the day. I mean I'm sure the people in the village knew how to make bread? The problem was the bad guy, and Intra solved the problem by being great at killing people. It felt like it was going to be a different story to that.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Magnus Manfist posted:

Did anyone else feel a bit let down by that story?

It came while Allison was learning that she couldn't solve every problem herself with violence, and while we were seeing the limitations of Solomon David who thinks he can do exactly that. Intra, god of swords, shows up in a village oppressed by a robber baron. Instead of looking badass he looks pathetically weak; instead of drawing his sword and fighting them he starts building a bread oven or something. The robber baron notes that this will not work as he has all the grain, then sends his men to kill Intra. At which point he just loving one shots them all.

Not really sure what the moral was. It looked like Intra was going to inspire the people or something, but instead it was very straightforwardly his capacity for violence that saved the day. I mean I'm sure the people in the village knew how to make bread? The problem was the bad guy, and Intra solved the problem by being great at killing people. It felt like it was going to be a different story to that.

The moral was that Intra did not default to violence as the solution; it was when the bad guy resorted to violence that Intra responded in kind. It was also important that Intra did not set himself up as anything other than someone who did violence at the end; he wasn't a leader, he wasn't a savior, he just kills people, and it was up to the people themselves to take care of things after.

This is in deliberate contrast to Solomon. Solomon killed the oppressors and protected the people, but then saw himself as the only person capable of governing when all he proved was his capacity to do violence.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In the immortal words of Agent J: don't start nothing, won't be nothing

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I agree that the Lord Intra story was kind of a letdown. It was a lot less interesting or poignant than the GOAT, the Very Wise Frog, and it wasn't as funny as Aesma and the Red-Eyed King.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Joe Slowboat posted:

I agree that the Lord Intra story was kind of a letdown. It was a lot less interesting or poignant than the GOAT, the Very Wise Frog,

FOAT

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

skaianDestiny posted:

The moral was that Intra did not default to violence as the solution; it was when the bad guy resorted to violence that Intra responded in kind. It was also important that Intra did not set himself up as anything other than someone who did violence at the end; he wasn't a leader, he wasn't a savior, he just kills people, and it was up to the people themselves to take care of things after.

This is in deliberate contrast to Solomon. Solomon killed the oppressors and protected the people, but then saw himself as the only person capable of governing when all he proved was his capacity to do violence.

Yem Yeddo was not Yenmod, storm-crowned, who required a superhuman like Solomon to finally defeat. Yem Yeddo was just some grain-extracting chieftain, and a new one at that

A charitable read of the Intra parable, well... he has given them a well and a bakery, a single point of community defence. There is some argument to the effect that highland rice terracing in Indochina played a similar role in providing highlanders with an extremely labour-intensive and costly, and yet shared, point of resistance against lowlander raids (the parable emphasizes at length the mythic effort that Intra puts into its construction). This is effective when the lowlander states are strong, but not too strong, and attacks can be plausibly resisted by a hilltop village, who should form a new imagined community ('brothers') and essentially permanently militarize themselves (hence the the stones). The rallying cry is to... form a new statelet in the wake of the devastating collapse of the old order: the rise of petty warlords due to the absence of any higher enforcing power amidst the universal war.

Okay, fine, whatever, but maybe a little discordant amidst so many anarchist morals.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 16, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ah, ronya, good to see you ronyaing

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

HookedOnChthonics posted:

...agg is purposeful rather than capricious, mission-focused rather than self-absorbed, dissatisfied with the shittiness of the world rather than perpetuating it

his fatal flaw, total callous disregard for the little people, is totally indicting. he has a bad plan. but i'd bet that his targets and motivation align pretty closely with the course of action allison will end up taking, the one that leads here.

I was with you until that last part. Jaggs universes are 111,111 worlds of 40k levels of human suffering to fuel the eternal war machine out to erase existence. Violence is king and the industry is death.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

I was with you until that last part. Jaggs universes are 111,111 worlds of 40k levels of human suffering to fuel the eternal war machine out to erase existence. Violence is king and the industry is death.

like 9/10 of the people ITT are posting from America, dude, it's not that big a deal

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

V. Illych L. posted:

ah, ronya, good to see you ronyaing

specifically James C. Scott cites Edmund Leach in passing to this effect in his subtitled 'Anarchist history of Upland Southeast Asia', although his interest (appropriately) moves on to the dispersed people who don't live in states, rather than the sedentary people who form little states capable of deterring big states

the map onto the recurring anarchist theme makes sense, I guess. Two cheers for... uh, municipalism, I guess?

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 16, 2021

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1361871944623280129

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Oh hey The Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone, that's cool.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Dave looks grumpier than I've ever seen anyone look before

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Please edit chain into beard, thank you.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Hmm those flowers on Mammon's head wilted pretty fast, these demiurges need to take better care of their plants. Or maybe that is his dorsum or his booty, his head would probably be too small of a stage given Mottom could straddle his entire head in her old lady form. So I choose to believe she is jazzing out and doing her cool ultimate moves on Mammon's butt.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 17, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that Dave has created a dome made entirely of punch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MinutePirateBug posted:

Hmm those flowers on Mammon's head wilted pretty fast, these demiurges need to take better care of their plants. Or maybe that is his dorsum or his booty, his head would probably be too small of a stage given Mottom could straddle his entire head in her old lady form. So I choose to believe she is jazzing out and doing her cool ultimate moves on Mammon's butt.

It's his neck, with his head dipped down just out of panel.

Mammon has a lot of neck.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Since you can't see her face I'm choosing to believe the Zs are actually because middle Mottom fell asleep mid attack.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This just whips so much rear end.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 17, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It chains so much rear end

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

ronya posted:

specifically James C. Scott cites Edmund Leach in passing to this effect in his subtitled 'Anarchist history of Upland Southeast Asia', although his interest (appropriately) moves on to the dispersed people who don't live in states, rather than the sedentary people who form little states capable of deterring big states

The Art of Not Being Governed looked so good I had to order it right away. Care to expound while I wait for it to ship?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Dave looks grumpier than I've ever seen anyone look before

Consider how long it took that kusarigama to arrive from his perspective.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Salami Dave gHost Rides the Whip

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Yadoppsi posted:

The Art of Not Being Governed looked so good I had to order it right away. Care to expound while I wait for it to ship?

also read Seeing like a State and Weapons of the Weak - it's too easy to romanticize noble highlanders and TAONBG maybe leans into it too much, giving 'Zomia' an almost unreal air.

Seeing like a State is about recognizable modernity (a long discussion by Lou Keep here, with links to related discussions).

Weapons of the Weak is even more concretely grounded in recognizably modern parties and institutions, which gives it a tighter relationship to the lived experience of the powerless living on the periphery of a contemporary capitalism we can recognize, rather than a preindustrial extractive grain despotism we probably can't (specifically, in the struggle between the United Malays National Organisation and the Parti Islam Se-Malaysia in a rural part of Malaysia; it also helps that a Western perspective is not instinctively inclined to regard the politics of either as sympathetic).

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 18, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Joe Slowboat posted:

I agree that the Lord Intra story was kind of a letdown. It was a lot less interesting or poignant than the GOAT, the Very Wise Frog, and it wasn't as funny as Aesma and the Red-Eyed King.

Yeah, I still think the priests deciding to "help" Aesma get married so she'd become a dutiful meek wife and the story noting "this was a FANTASTICALLY bad idea" is one of my favorite funny lines ever in anything I've read :D.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
EDIT: Double posting not as funny.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Still waiting for Aesma Gets a Dog, I guess I can wade through the filler until then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, I still think the priests deciding to "help" Aesma get married so she'd become a dutiful meek wife and the story noting "this was a FANTASTICALLY bad idea" is one of my favorite funny lines ever in anything I've read :D.

went back and reread this and lol it really is good

quote:

A great discordant cry went up then among the priests, and they threw themselves into furious debate. Some of them wanted Aesma out by the stave immediately, no matter the truth of her words. Others could not believe that such a wicked being could find love. But the sentiment that won out in the end was the rather self indulgent and completely wrong notion that if Aesma had indeed found a husband, she would be far better served by having a man to reign in her wanton and vile habits. The priests were very firm in their belief that the moral authority of a good husband could tease out an enlightened womanly virtue from even the most wretched of creatures, and therefore they ceased to see Aesma as a base and vile creature beyond redemption, and began to see her as a great conquest and affirmation of their own righteousness. They began to imagine in their enlightened minds the power and prestige of a tame and demure Aesma, the most infamous and despised of goddesses. This was a fantastic mistake.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1362917676008505348?s=19

Bagged and tagged!
Job well done folks.

Happy hour, anyone?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Phew. Glad that's over with. Now we can get into the far more important matter of White Chain's future fashion choices. Maybe something in saffron?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is that Jags breathing in, or out?

Did he pick up some Ki Rata somewhere? Is Salami Dave about to get some of his own medicine?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The broke jaggs helmet, victory is theirs.

Btw now would be a really good time for our plucky heroes to skedaddle

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hmm he appears to have set himself on fire. a huge win for our heroes!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
ladies and gentlemen, we got him

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Somebody pour some Gatorade on Solomon, we got 'im!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gog's gonna run out and hit Solomon with a steel chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
THE JAGGAHOG IS LOOSE