Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He's caught himself in a perfectly crafted hell where he technically, by the technicalities of the laws he's obsessed with, didn't lose. But he knows he lost, everyone knows he lost, White Chain just styled super hard on him, and I think he knows he could use this as an excuse to finally step down, but he won't, he isn't, and that's breaking his heart, and the only Royal thing to do right now is to go "Yeah guess I lose, empire over bye" but he isn't. He's going to take any excuse he can to fix the dent in the bars of his cage, lock it, put the key back into his pocket, and then whine about how he's trapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I think this is the part Abaddon meant.

well yeah that puts that argument to rest instantly

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Jadis is basically an obelisk pretender from Dominions I'm guessing.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's sort of like Angel Densetsu, a comedy manga about a normal highschool kid who has a terrifying face so everyone assumes he's a gang leader constantly high on drugs. As the story goes on, more people learn he's actually a sweet boy who just gets dragged into shenanigans, and as it goes on, the artstyle changes and he starts looking more and more normal, until at the end he's barely differently drawn from the other characters.

Solomon started out as a creepy, dark-purple man with an impossible beard and a face of inhuman, unmoving smugness. Now he looks like an ordinary muscledude with at least 3 whole emotions that he can wear!

I'm going to be very sad if Jaggers merks him five pages into the next book.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It feels to me more like a cycle, where she's seeking the throne like Zoss did, and Zoss hoped she'd do different from what he did and not repeat his mistakes and just loop all his disasters for the next 1000 years until she grows jaded and miserable and abandons the throne

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Ultimately, the story has already engaged in the futility of the cycle of seeking strength. That's been a reoccuring theme, with Zoss, with the demiurges, with Maya and Meti. With Solomon and White Chain. It's one of the central themes of the story. The need to do something different, to break free of the pattern of "murder people and become strong and oops now you're the bad guy of someone else's story and you gotta be taken down and all you did was kill people anyway." Jagganoth, begot by violence and ambition, is trying to break free in his own way through an act of singular spectacular violence.

That it's a pattern that's been repeating, a cycle of violence causing violence, has been the main theme of the story.

It's in the last book now. There's really no time to introduce a "oh, and this is actually a time-loop, and it keeps turning out the same way" this late into the game. It's superfluous with the theme already so FIRMLY established in every arc and storyline so far, and it would bring up way more questions and require way more answers than there's probably time to do.

If there was an actual time loop that was central to what's happening, it would be at least alluded to more firmly than a few lines that can be sort of interpreted one way or another.

I mean, I could be wrong, and the last 50 pages could be a real big mindfuck of revealing that time's been looping, but it's also kind of... that wouldn't really lead anywhere? What would you really do with them peeling back something and showing "I've been running through this timeline a thousand times and it's always turning out the same" other than just... kind of stressing that she needs to do something different to break the cycle, which is already established?

Like, maybe I'll be eating crow and that'll happen, but it seems really unnecessary.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
When Vivec bade Nerevar reach heaven by violence, it was because he didn't understand what Vivec was talking about at the time, so the hortatator took up an axe from the weapon racks and fought his way to the moon, where he tried to kill craters.

quote:

Vivec said, 'Reach heaven by violence then.'

So to quiet his mind the Hortator chose from the Fight Racks an axe. He named it and moved on to the first moon.

There, Nerevar was greeted by the Parliament of Craters, who knew him by title and resented his presence, for he was to be a ruling king of earth and this was the lunar realm. They shifted around him in a pattern of entrapment.

'The moon does not recognize crowns or scepters,' they said, 'nor the representatives of kingdoms below, lion or serpent or mathematician. We are the graves of those that have migrated and become ancient countries. We seek no Queens or thrones. Your appearance is decidedly solar, which is to say a library of stolen ideas. We are neither tear nor sorrow. Our revolution succeeded in the manner that is was written. You are the Hortator and unwelcome here.'

And so Nerevar carved at the grave ghosts until he was out of breath and their Parliament could make no new laws.

He said, 'I am not of the slaves that perish.'

Of the members of Parliament only a few survived the Hortator's attack.

A surviving Crater said, 'Appropriation is nothing new. Everything happens of itself. This motif is by no means unassociated with hero myths. You have not acted with the creative impulse; you fall below the weight of destiny. We are graves but not coffins. Know the difference. You have only dug more and supplied no ghosts to reside within. Central to your claim is the predominance of frail events. To be judged by the earth is to sit on a throne of wonder why. Damage us more and you will find naught but the absence of our dead.'

iirc violence however is an act of creative love and nerevar gets it wrong; which ties into Vivec's ultimate acension to the amaranth, where he does what is basically expressed in k6bd and divides himself internally to become a new world

it also sat as a reference of the act of violent self-division between lorkhan/akatosh that created the stability of the world that allows others to reach chim/amaranth

all the examples vivec uses in reference to those who obtained divinity are those who got to it by an act of betrayal and violence, usually in the act of destruction against their opposite (akatosh/lorkhan, tiber septim/ysmir, nerevarine/dagoth ur)

the creative act is inherently destructive and it is meant to be a call for creation/love/authorship to grant divinity, but idiots like nerevar or the demiurges interpret it to mean "kill a lot of people until no one can stop you!"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
According to the forum and obscure text stuff, Vivec got his revenge against Azura and in the final era married the Dunmer who talked numidium to death and gave birth to a new universe and became a new godhead, so I think Vivec did pretty well for himself. If k6bd follows the obscure texts, Alison and Zaid are going to get married and explode into a new universe, and the cycle will repeat because alison is al-yis-un and the true heir in that she will recreate the steps and k6bd ends with another sailor moon cosplayer and now it's homestuck everything is ultimately homestuck if you think about it

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

I wonder who the eight demiurge was, as in whoever was the last standing of the not-Seven.

I'm imagining it's just Terry Hintz

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Wow! Our first instance of teamwork! I look forward to them immediately loving it up again

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Jagganoth looked at the part where Aesma asked YISUN if the world was a correct opinion and Jaggs said "No, we're moving past opinions" and now he's a reality truther

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
he does indeed seem sealed away i guess yeah

immune to damage might not mean much if their goal was to just bind his power and leave him as a sad angry statue

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Well, I eat my words arguing against the idea of a time loop. At least it's more of a "time is reset" thing and it does fit into the talk about cycles and circles in the errata.

This feels so weird for it to be the last book

is the thing we're going to hate Jaggs being right, killing everyone, and Zoss turning the wheel back again

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I use Firefox on Android but it usually cuts off after a few words with an ellipsis that I can't expand in any way so I usually have to wait until I'm on the computer before I can check it myself

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
If this were Homestuck we'd cut to a three-year arc that recreates the entire plot with slightly different characters and when we got back to this point it'd cut to after the fight was already over

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I don't get the tweet. Is it supposed to be ironic? A corny punchline?? Is someone really having this as a shocking revelation??

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Hey I think, just maybe... just maybe all of THIS was the part we were all gonna hate :ohdear:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The best part of Job is God keeps saying poo poo like "Do you know where snow comes from" "Do you know when mountain goats give birth" "Do you give the horse its strength" "Do you know how mountains are formed" "Can you control the lightning"

and in modern days, the answers are like, "Yes, let me explain the water cycle" "Yes let me check wikipedia" "Yes because we bred them for it" "Yes, tetonic plates" and "I built a Tesla coil in my garage" which if you think about it just confirms YISUN saying the human is the most dangerous creature in existence.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The health of you and yours takes priority over the comic, take what time you need and be OK.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And it gave the answer... "42"

Worse, "I"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Tendales posted:

The funny thing about determinism is that it's not actually incompatible with free will. Ok, yeah, in 5 minutes you're going to turn left, and that choice is an immutable point in time and space, but it's still your choice. No external force necessarily made you do that. There doesn't have to be a someone else or something else that made that decision for you. Even crystallized in amber, the instants that make up your life are still yours. It's just your perception that's limited.

Of course, being aware of your choices before you make them does bring up some tricky questions about causality, which may be the exact trap that has caught Jadis.

Yes good finally thank you. People really grouse about free will when it comes to knowing the future but like, being able to know what's already happened in the past doesn't change what the people in the past did I know what so-and-such did on such-a-day a year ago but just because I have the perspective of the future doesn't invalidate the person's decision when they made it

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Why on earth is this everyone's bugbear where is this coming from. I don't remember anyone being this freaked out over Jagganoth's philosophy of "this all sucks I need to break it all" or Dave's "it has to be me only me" but Jadis goes "I can read the book we're in and I can see what page you die on" and everyone acts like it's killed their dad.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Niavmai posted:

no. not one outcome. infinite outcomes. infinite possibilities. even one molecule out of place is a new timeline with different possibilities.

technically her free will is actually more real than anyone elses, as she's able to make her choices very informed. everyone else is just guessing.

That doesn't seem to be what she's experiencing? She's gone outside of the book and saw that the book is already finished from this absolute perspective. Characters in the book are making "free will" choices, but in a perspective outside of time those choices are already made and it's all already determined. She's broken herself because she's seen everything her character does in the future pages, including the reasons that caused her to do the things she's going to do.

You take Hamlet out of the book and show him the ending and the beginning and put him back in the book, except the book is also written so that this is also part of the plot and Hamlet sees his own madness from knowing what he's going to do is already part of the story already written for him.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

a computing pun posted:

It did recently occur to me that there's no way for Jadis (or, like, anyone) to actually know 100% for certain that they are omniscient in regards to the future.

The best you can possibly have is "I have a script, and my script has been 100% correct about literally every event so far" but that's not actually any guarantee that it will be correct in the future. Perfect omniscience is indistinguishable from omniscience that is perfect up until a certain point in time and then just tells you a plausible but false narrative for everything that happens after that. Theoretically, Jadis could get proven wrong by Allison (or anyone) on the very next page and the story would still be internally consistent - it would just mean that the image of the Wheel she saw was a deception and this is the point where it diverged.

I will note that I don't believe this is where KSBD is going with Jadis (although it does somewhat call back to YISUN's advice on lying), its just interesting to consider.

The issue as I understand it is that Jadis does not experience things in a "so far." Time is a compressed single moment for her perspective. She exists outside of the book. She can look at the book at any page and see what anyone is doing on any page at any point whenever. Nothing should surprise her on the next page because she isn't experiencing the book in a linear pace. She's already got the book in her lap, and observing it won't change it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The breads are so tiny! I want tiny breads.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I feel called out by that alt text I absolutely was mentally providing my own soundtrack and I am indeed sure it's basically the same as intended

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
^^ her Jadis smile is so great and miserable it's heartbreaking

Cowcaster posted:

this is a good comic

i can't really deal with how good this comic consistently is

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

He's saying time is the prison they're trapped in because it's looping. He wants to break this entire timeline cycle and create a new one where things are chill and cool. Basically Jagganoth will become the creator god of a quaint Beatrix Potter-esque world where we all live in giant pumpkins and bake pies for our neighbors and drink tea while watching a rainshower. Jagganoth's basically the hero, Allison should give him the key.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
OOOH, the name drop isn't just the comic title, her name is every book title too

hot drat that's a long buildup for an incredible payoff

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
When I started reading K6BD years years ago I looked at all the 36 Lessons of Vivec references and the TES apocrypha stuff and went "Eh, yeah, I played Morrowind too, whatever."

A friend of mine was really into it tho, so I tried to commit to a more neutrally-minded readthrough and like

pretty sure I've read this entire comic at least 20 times now.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
With the secret name of God being royalty I'm betting it's a very CHIMesque realizing you're a character in YISUN's lies and going "neat, but I'm still me too so whatever"

Hansa and the light in the cave

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I didn't even know we were waiting for a Maya reveal but holy poo poo

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
This is the best comic, scientifically speaking.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's kind of unfair, since Homestuck cast such a wide net anything dealing with anything about creating universes, ending universes, friends going on adventures, time shenanigans, basically any kind of group dynamics, all ends up sounding like Homestuck. The joke "every few years someone reinvents Homestuck" is less about how good Homestuck was and more about how many ideas it sort of jammed into itself in an overbloated mess tbh.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Niavmai posted:

no. allison has the true key, the original formed by zoss with the syllables of god, stolen from metatron. there are many with copies of the original, with the demiurges having consolidated many of them within their own.

The demiurges have all 777,777 of them, the big issue at the very start was the fear that even one had gone missing and it would be enough to unbalance the thing. They do create emissaries where they loan out 1 of their 111,111 of the share of things, but those are rare to the point where I think we've seen one (1) so far and it was 000001. I think mostly all 777,777 are in the demiurges' heads and it's only by their permission there's probably like 10 individual ones walking around the multiverse.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
New Vegas is fairly highly praised, but when you go to Caesar's Camp on House's orders, you have to give up all your weapons. Caesar insults you when you show up, telling you what a dumb idea it was to walk into here fully unarmed, and how now your only way out is to do whatever he says and further his plans. As a woman, going in there, multiple characters basically say "Hey, we want to rape you. Women are sex slaves to us and we want to make you one." and another slave is like "Be careful, I heard the guys talking about how much they want to rape you."

You get to Caesar and he looks at you and says "You're an idiot, you walked in here entirely unarmed and are at our mercy. This is what you're going to be doing for me from now on as my agent."

And at no point--even if you were sympathetic to the legion--do you get an option to ask Caesar "Hey so uh when I do all that you want me to do are you going to just slave me off to one of your generals?" You don't get the in-game option to even suggest that you might NOT want to be someone's sex slave. It was at that point I stopped playing New Vegas--I'm fine with adult, even intense, themes in games, but for the developers to create characters that look you in the eyes and go "Hey, we're going to abuse you now that you have no weapons and can't stop it" it was entirely too far for me to stomach.

But there's a lot of people who think New Vegas is like the gold standard of roleplaying games, so I think honestly it's comparatively perfectly fine for a character whose background includes soldier and universal tyrant and mass murderer and drunken knight errant and monk and noodle connoisseur who's been alive for a thousand years to have some sexual abuse in her backstory which already involves her family, including her children, being slaughtered.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I did not mean to detail the thread but I think this was a healthy direction so I'm not ashamed

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I like how the DLC was insistent on doing gotchas like "hah... this is a result of you not letting go of your greed and your lust for the past" my dude I forgot this triggered the DLC i walked into this trigger by accident while getting out of the rain what are you even talking about.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, I kinda can't remember because things kinda stopped happening in the strip? The last thing of significance I recall was Annie defending Tonytons abusive behaviour to Jones? Then some other things happened I think but its all so blurry. Robot shields and pulling Arthur out and I just lost interest

The comic is now about Loup posing as Jerrick having highschool romance shenanigans and he's everyone's friend and everyone loves him and he's the main character! Hooray! Also the entire mystery plot was delivered in a flat exposition scene with the characters going "That makes no sense!" "And yet it still is how it is..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I would say it's definitely a hate-read podcast. In the end I got fed up with it because they seem to have completely missed the point and think that a lot of the things Hussie was saying were an attack on all fans, everywhere, when I'm pretty sure what Hussie was trying to say was that they, specifically, have a really lovely way of engaging with media.

I also checked out their follow-up Undertale LP and it's become clear that as a result of the feedback theye got from that podcast, they've embraced being annoying on purpose, which essentially destroys any chance of their saying something useful in future.

i dunno i think a lot of homestuck is inextricable from its actual hatred for the people reading it. like i dont' think homestuck is an attack on fans, i think it's literally, thematically, an attack on the concept of storytelling and narratives and the enjoyment of the reader

it hates the idea of telling a story in general tbh. i first stopped reading it in the troll arc because instead of continuing the normal progression for a story hussie was subversive and introduced an entire new cast of characters going through the same story. and then he had a breakdown in anger at the fandom and literally did a wall of text update yelling at the fans that he controls the story and he can make you sit through an entire duplicate post about troll relationships if he wants shut up it isn't taking too long. and i was like... nah man relationship between reader and author a contract i don't gotta abide by it, i'm out thanks.

and then when i picked it back up and made it passed the troll arc he... he did it again and reset the story and it's the same story with 4 new characters once again and you have to read this from the beginning what you thought this was building to a climax nope haha you got tricked the story's starting over again come back in a few years!

it is a series of anti climaxes, deflated climaxes, he basically does everything he can to subvert the rules of storytelling but in the end proves WHY we have those rules in the first place. yeah you can break ALL of them if you want but the story won't be SATISFYING. to the point where if homestuck can be said to have themes, its theme is dismantling the idea of storytelling. it's about breaking stories. homestuck leaves you feeling unsatisfied and frustrated with it because that is its intended GOAL thematically. if it's because he hated the fandom or the people reading it or wanted to prove some point to them--regardless of the reason, that's what the result was.

like sweet bro and hella jeff, homestuck is bad on PURPOSE. it exists antagonistically to the readers and the fanbase and the idea of being a story itself. as a story whose theme is anti-story, as a franchise whose concept is "gently caress you fans you guys are weird and plus + suck" as a story that wants you to leave it feeling frustrated, unsatisfied, and upset, it's an incredible piece of work,

but most of the homestuck's actual quality was from the other artists and musicians that worked on it, and there's a reason people like toby fox are now doing Big Projects and have their characters showing up in smash bros and why hussie is now mostly known for funding scams and going "uhm the person who told you about all the bad things we've done... yeah they're problematic. i won't tell you that they're wrong..... just that they're problematic. don't accuse me of loving over these people working for me haha lmaaaooo that's so cringe bro........"

there's a reason this post-post-post superirony kinda died off and was replaced by honest sincerity again. there's a reason undertale is going strong and homestuck is a punchline. it's, honestly, the same reason somethingawful lost the culture war--the old culture war, the culture war somethingawful stopped fighting and places like 4chan kept up warring with. absolute irony, insincerity, and spite are just honestly exhuasting themes to be married to forever.

that homestuck is dead and undertale remains popular is basically the self-demonstration of their themes and who won

k6bd coming out of homestuck also is like--look at the themes here vs. the themes in homestuck. homestuck is all about dismantling meaning and sincerity. k6bd is all about finding meaning in an inherently meaningless world. everything homestuck gave birth to seems to have ultimately given birth to it in antagonism and they all are counterexamples to its point? it feels?

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 31, 2023