Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
“Do not jest with the laughing god, for his mirth is more brittle than a fingernail”
-Folk Saying

I suppose we have Sheogorath to go along with Vivec for Elder Scrolls inspirations.

e: ok what the hell happened to the :dio: smilie.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Did White Chain actually tell them everything that happened in the flashback? Her text boxes recounting the experience stopped at "but"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm starting to think that all the short stories attached to the pages are nothing but farmer-related propaganda.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

No, "I" is well known by all to be the one true name of God, which nobody but Zoss knows. (I love how this mythology plays with self-contradiction)

Looks kinda wheel-shaped

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Just go read the 32 Sermons36 Lessons of Vivec already, the entire cosmology of K6BD is lifted nearly wholesale from The Elder Scrolls.

And about time too. More things need to rip off TES.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 24, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

He embodies the sin of Pride which is false love of the self, the "I". Royalty is understanding that I AM AND I ARE ALL WE, that you are Yisun and Yisun is everyone else. Pride is failing to see beyond I AM; you fail to realize others are the same as you. Solomon knows he is great, but he doesn't get that he's just part of a greater whole, so while he's kind and benevolent to those who act as he would, he crushes those who do not.

Really, if I had to guess, each demiurge's sin is doing the exact opposite of what their word should teach them.

Of course, he could also fit in for The Diamond, assuming Diamonds are linked with perfection in K6BD much like they are in our world. Really, this is all speculation.

Becoming aware of the secret Tower without full understanding of I AM = I AM NOT results in zero-summing, literally being erased from this dream of reality. So I doubt Solomon has understanding of the secret syllable of royalty.

Unless abaddon wants to throw us a curve and make Solomon David literally Vivec, in which case that would be pretty funny and a pretty good justification for his smug attitude.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

IIRC, you can become aware of the Tower and not zero-sum by simply swinging back to I AM, rejecting the possibility that you are nothing. It's only when you get caught up in I AM NOT that you go poof. Of course, you'll never get anywhere with that kind of thinking if you just linger at I AM. I imagine Solomon thought about being nothing and went, "Nope! I'm the coolest and best guy ever," and went along thinking he totally understood it when in reality he's just fooling himself.

Yeah Lorkhan physically went outside Aurbis to see the Wheel and the Tower and managed to come back pretty normal (for a trickster-creator deity). Granted, this caused him to make the mortal realm and create the secret Tower so there would be a path for others to proceed pass the threshold he didn't. It's also implied pretty strongly that being mortal is extremely important to achieving CHIM.

Then there's the whole anti-CHIM thing that Dagoth-Ur may have had going, but who knows what that guy's deal was besides being really really really pissed at ALMSIVI

Come to think of it, does even Zoss know the secret syllable of royalty? He sure as gently caress does not seem to have the love that goes along with it, even under the very broad definition of love that comes with the knowledge that your own identity and the entirety of creation are one and the same. Dude just seems kinda ticked all the time.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 24, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So hold up, has Mottom cottoned on to the fact that Allison is the heir, not Zaid? She does say an heir, after all.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I believe Abaddon has said that Jaggernoth is immensely more powerful than the other demiurges, and the only thing holding him back is the six others allying against him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

mottom is about to discover that the rarest, most exotic, and most delectably decadent thing in all the worlds is friendship

In all honesty, she always seemed to have a bit of self-loathing whenever she talked about their inevitable doom. I wonder if she had a personal thing for Zoss

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think you folks are forgetting the "destiny will twist you" bit that Mottom started off her talk with Allison. She's not saying there's no way she can change how she rules, she's saying that she is just as much a prisoner now as the ruler of 1/7th of creation as she was when she was abducted.

Think about it. When she was 13 or 14, she was a math nerd that loved cooking who also happened to have pretty hair. Then Hastet came, and everything she was able to call herself was discarded except for her hair. Being constantly raped as a child is bad enough, but she experienced a profound helplessness caused by the expectations of an extremely patriarchal society as Hastet's wife. Her wants and desires didn't matter one whit, she was The Glimmering Pearl Mother Om.

And she still can't escape that identity. Even in freedom, even possessing the power of a deity, she still can't find that little 14 year old girl that was ripped away. Fate my have provided nigh-unlimited power, but it couldn't restore to her the belief that she has control over herself.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 1, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yikes, impaling all the limbs multiple times but nothing on the torso and head? Someone's going to get ranted at while they bleed out.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if the greater torture would be for Mottom to leave Allison alive and bleeding out on the floor, but only after telling her that everyone in the multiverse is going to know that the Third Conquest has been reignited and everyone will know it's her fault.

While a villainous ice burn makes for a dramatic bookend, it's probably not going to have much impact on Allison's internal thought process.

Allison's Internal Thought Process posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I suspect we may be gearing up for her to chew Mottom the gently caress out again.

Though it is very Anime, your ability to monologue is extremely inhibited by rapid blood loss.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Being Royalty is alot more than just being nigh-omnipotent, though. K6BD heavily borrows from Morrowind and its concept of CHIM, which is the secret syllable of Royalty, whatever that means. The really short version is you can acheive CHIM when you observe the entire universe, or the Tower, and realize it is the dream of the Godhead, that you yourself are an utterable negligible part of this dream, and that you may as well not exist. And yet, while you know for a fact that this previous statement is true, you are still able to assert your own individuality within the dream of the Godhead (if you mess up this part you cease to exist). Those of Royalty know for a fact that 1+ -1 = 0 and 1 + -1 = 1. One attains enlightenment but one does not transcend the world.

Also, CHIM is inexorably tied with Love, but that's much more difficult to explain than simple paradoxes. It looks like Zoss is well on his way to understanding the nature of reality as a dream, but I wonder how much he understands of Love.

(its funny to note that while Aesma was Yisun's favorite disciple, she managed to completely gently caress up perceiving the Wheel twice)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 29, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also remember Aesma was so stupid she eventually self-immolated.

Also consider: why do we assume that being Yisun's favorite disciple is a good thing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly, it can be read either way. She's either cutting her hair normally and they just skipped the opening/closing panel, or she's using the key to make the blunt side of scissors razor sharp.

I prefer the latter because its way more :black101:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You know saying there are 777,777 worlds is probably just a fancy way of saying there are infinite worlds

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I see Allison is picking up on Zoss's innate tendency to be a relentless dick about everything.

It's really lovely of her to coerce a recovering addict back into the habit, and that's what Cio certainly makes it sound like. Plus, the whole getting killed last time she did it. But it seems one of the defining traits of royalty is to be a selfish dick to other people whenever you feel like it, so she's got that down.

Captain Oblivious posted:

There are things that need doing and Allison means to do them. She does not have the time or inclination, nor should she, to coddle a devil who has been using her and insulting her every step of the way no matter how adorable they may be.

Even with an ulterior motive, Cio did save Allison's life twice and was pretty protective of her during the reluctant-hero phase. But I suppose expecting some kind of reciprocity that befits an interpersonal relationship would get in the way of treating her like a tool to get what she wants, so shine on you crazy rising king.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 30, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Cio's probably referring to presenting personas of yourself to others and how that can just be a facade over the "true" self.

What's interesting is that for Cio and devils their identity is literally a facade.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Hot off the presses at /co/

back to a blond, eh allison?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I really really hope that the Pursuers didn't all get blasted by Juggernaut Nova, because I want them to keep cropping up at intervals looking increasingly badass/ragged as they rage through the cosmos.

Like I hope we get a sweet heist arc here with them trying to steal Zaid from Mammon and they pull the whole thing off perfectly, they're sneaking out and no one knows and then the giant loving baby blows through the wall again and everything goes bananas.

Considering Jadis's prophecy mentions that the successor will be followed by 108 burning stars, they're going to be involved in allison's life up to and including "Don't wear it out"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
someone repost the "hurrr im a human" edit for jugs

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

"Do not pursue my fate" is both very Royalty and very 'not worth the cost of Royalty'

I think Zoss would heavily disagree on that. Meti's utter contempt for her work and any of its practitioners is much more in line with Mottom's fatalism.

Also Devin Townsend whaaaaaattttt

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm not going to pick nits before the actual pages happen, but it feels kind of weird for juggs to have a heart to heart with some rando that tried to kill him.

oh wait I just did

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm the 'open' sign on his crotch.

oskar owns. oskowns

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

These outfits are intensely JoJo as gently caress.

those outfits are way more cromartie high school than jojo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well Allison seems to be getting the "throw all your friends under the bus at the first opportunity" part of being a demiurge down pat.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I wonder if there is anything preventing a devil from following Zoss's path, or if their nature makes such impossible.

someone with twitter tweet this at abby

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

oh my god

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Frog loving rekt the prince while getting murdered. I'm not sure it's possible to own someone harder.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Incubus deliberately powered up Allison to destabilize the other demiurges so that Jagganoth can beat them. He even tells Jags that she has all the power of the old king. He just thinks that its more than likely she's not going to be able to become full on conquering king just by spirit meth.

Hell, I don't even think his spirit meth runs out. I think his thralls need him because they don't know how to achieve self-improvement without cheating.

e: Also, Allison has not improved at all. She still has all her self-hatred, and the moment she fails or feels not in control its going to come back with a vengeance. It's why she's been so touchy whenever someone is dubious about her new personality. To her ,the way she's acting is the best thing ever because she actively despises who she was before.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 6, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
its homestuck with creepy fetishistic stuff thrown in.

e: more creepy fetishistic stuff, rather.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i think you guys might be reading a bit too much into "artist draws characters in a vaguely similar art style"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
as long as he doesn't suffer an injury to his drawing arm I think he'll be fine. An injury completely killed Paranatural's output (and the pacing was already glacial)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well allison's queen bitch attitude sure came to a quick end. Wonder how she'd feel about asserting to mr/ms goliant that she's the boss now?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
vladok voluntarily relinquished his identity, letting his being become an unbound flame. Getting destroyed just leaves a broken binding.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Payapop Pritram posted:

“A curious fact – the Institute of Fractal Archivists insisted to me today they had found a peculiar period of history prior to the Second Conquest that according to their ontoscopes does not exist. Nearly two centuries to which a huge host of historical inaccuracies and inconsistencies have been attributed – I am familiar with the period myself. They theorize that this is because the period only existed for some people; that is to say the flow of time itself, the turning of the great wheel, was tampered with.
It is, of course, a preposterous explanation, though so very convenient I am inclined to believe it.”

Ok so now the Dragon Break is also canon in k6bd. what part of the elder scrolls will abbadon rip off next? hopefully all of it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well that's an unintentional :iceburn: on this whole board.

Clevin.

hey bravest I got a huge kick out of reading your takedown of rothfuss (and you also pointed me to Lud-in-the-Mist which is super rad) so I was wondering if you could do a brief breakdown of why the setting in k6bd is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also I noticed that Himself's speech bubble managed to bridge the white between panels. We ever see something like that before?