Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I remember reading this way back when it came out and there were only 30-odd pages. I found it again and read the whole thing yesterday and I am very surprised and happy that it turned out to be a very well-written gay kung fu philosophy story! I had no idea what direction it was going to go in when it first came out, it just seemed like a very obtuse, flashy horror comic. Thank you to whichever goon posted it in one of those cool comics panels threads in BBS, I would never have looked at it again otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Patware posted:

If you think Allison is going to come to a perfect solution I don't know what to tell you

Maybe she can finally use that business/philosophy degree for something. Turn throne into a big co-op.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

When abaddon prepares these pages for the official print version I hope he adds one of these guys filling in the hole in white chains chest with plaster and a trowel lol. Repairing this angel like you're renovating a house.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Algid posted:

Getting every one of her holes filled by half naked men.

(Why are all those holes getting filled anyways, pretty sure some of them are vents and not wounds right?)

KSBD now has a merchandising deal, so they will be using the nails to attach Translucent Power Up Armour with Missile Firing Action to White Chain's body.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The bit earlier on in the chapter where Vigilant Gaze commented on White Chain's fighting style from the sidelines was also very DBZ, it was great.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I don't even know if Solomon's empire is even a bad place to live, the point of it within the story is more to illustrate that it is just as much of a dead-end solution as the current power structure in Throne. It was created by violence, and It's good and fair and just only because the guy at the top happens to support those values, and it's intentionally structured to place all the ruling power in the hands of the person capable of enacting the most violence.

I think the tournament might actually just be him attempting some sort of annual suicide ritual, tbh, because philosophically he knows there's no way to save his empire but he's so invested in might-makes-right that holding a fight to the death for the throne is the only way he can escape the unsolvable problem (through death) without sacrificing his pride.

I'm so happy this comic turned out to be about political theory and the consequences of power, it's such a fun direction to take a weird fantasy story.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

No Steam keys, all the stuff in the package is only in direct download from itch.io.

Not like you have to download them all. Or even any of them. They're just an incentive for the fundraising, and I guess a lot of people gave away their work for this.

I bought it and it just attaches to your itch.io account in a separate "bundles" tab, so you can click on the bundle at any time and go through the list of games from there. So it also doesn't clog up your itch.io game list with 700 things either. It's pretty well thought out.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

I have a feeling White Chain is gonna bite it in this fight, so I'm expecting her to do something that makes him utterly lose his cool and pull out the big guns and be shown up as a giant fraud while technically "winning."

I think so too, you don't put the "angels can reincarnate" and "Allison realises that beating everyone in a fight won't solve the world's problems" guns on the mantlepiece without having them go off in a scene like this.

I really don't know how it'll play out though, which is great! What a good story, to remain so unpredictable. Anything could happen.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Vigilant Gaze sitting in the peanut gallery and saying things like "I haven't seen that power up in a while... I hope she knows what she's doing" is also extremely DBZ in the funniest way.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

YaketySass posted:

White Chain is gonna be the first angel to change her name and she'll be White Unchained.

She will get a sponsorship. 83 White Claw Born in Refreshment Returns to Quench Youth

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Chainz has a lot of liquid for someone made out of energy. Is her suit filled with angel coolant?

She is a liquid angel in the vapor -> liquid -> igneous -> crystal -> neutron system of angel ranking (?), so I think her actual body underneath the armour is made up of liquid in some sense. I'm sure in like, 50 pages time, she'll be an igneous angel or something though. Our girl's gonna go all Gandalf the White on us and return from death at an opportune moment with much cleaner clothes.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

AHHHH
HELL YEAH

YES
YES
YES

I can't wait for KSBD arc 7, where this scene happens again but during a horse race through new york.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Tendales posted:

I kind of hope they don't. White Chain is the only angel we've seen that has a specifically human self-image. Maybe Juggs, too. The rest of the angels? If they start deciding to incarnate in the flesh the comic's going to turn into a spinoff of Andrew Hussie's old Humanimals comics.

I hope vigilant gaze joins the flesh team and gets to become a big happy cow :)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

The saddest thing on this page isn't that Solomon Dave didn't get his wish and is still trapped in the prison he built for himself.

The saddest thing on this page is that Allison and the rest of her crew don't recognize White Chain. :smith:

Who are you kidding, Allison being an idiot is always hilarious.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

How many demons has Allison killed at this point? I can only think of one. The last book is going to have to average like 10,000 demon kills per page at this rate.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

She went on a murdering spree in the vault chapter though...?

How many of those monks were demons? Because she was mostly killing the vault monks, right? Honest question, I totally cannot recall. And I can't remember if she killed any of the robbery crew aside from the one demon she pushed off that ledge.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I love how much more emotive human White Chain is, it's a really nice way to show her shift in character. Her little shocked face on panel 6 isn't something she used to do.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The one mild complaint I do have about human White Chain is that I wish she looked a bit older, rather than looking the same age as Allison. Just in terms of what a character design communicates about a character, she's been the older authority figure throughout the story, and I think her regular ash angel look communicated that perfectly fine, but now as a human she looks like a 20-year-old and it feels a bit incongruous to me? I get that it can be read as her looking young to drive home an 'angels are ageless' or 'this is a rebirth' idea. But I think as her character is "a person who was wrong for a very long time, and then finally realised that and made a change", it would have been good to give her a some grey streaks and a couple of wrinkles to reflect that in the design, at least if she's going to continue to fill a mentor/older/experienced figure type role going forward. And her being a bit older would also add some extra visual diversity age-wise in the main crew rather than now having them all look like young adults (or Princess).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

I have to wonder whether she's not on Jagganoth's side because, while she personally wants to die, she doesn't want it enough to kill the entire omniverse to achieve it.

Isn't her deal that she gained knowledge of everything but it drove her mad? I could see it ending up that she knows how the war is going to turn out, and she's acting based on the knowledge that Jagganoth's plan is terrible.

I mean, she's been telling people what is going to happen this whole time via prophecy. I think her showing up here suggests her brain is a bit fried but she's still a rational actor underneath that.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

So in retrospect can we all agree the thing a lot of people were gonna hate in this book was White Chain's Gender Affirming Punch riling up all the transphobic fuckheads?

I thought it was that guy having a weird breakdown in the comments section and getting IP banned.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Given the direction the story is going I'm not sure if it's really heading for a "who is gonna beat which demiurge" situation, but I think Incubus would be good at fighting Gog. He can go inside people's heads, after all, so maybe he could just kill the Gog consciousness directly, rather than killing the worm-bodies.

I thought the deal with Incubus was that the Yellow Army were one of the winning factions of the war, but Maya stepped down and left Incubus to take the key rather than take it for herself? It's his position as leader of the army and the possession of the key that the others mock him for, because he didn't earn either of them by conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

I agree with the rest but I have to ask, does the elaborate square roof on her head mean NOTHING to you???

She's teleporting straight in from her university graduation ceremony, nach.