Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I've been digging around my deceased mother's background and so far I've found out she was in serious debt, was on the run from the Mafia and that I had actually been kidnapped once and held hostage. It'd probably make for a good book if I ever piece all of this together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

- My dads side of the family used to have a plantation in the Dutch East-Indies before that whole thing went tits up during the war.
- My great-great-grandfather's job was to map New Guinea and he killed a few natives for basically not understanding what he told them.
- And theres a big possibility that my great-grandmother was a 'comfort girl' for the Japanese during the war, while her husband was taking a vacation working on the Burma railway. Fun times!

- On my moms side, my opa was part of the Rawagede massacre where the Dutch Army killed all the men in that village. Never really recovered from that clusterfuck (he was a 19 year old conscript).
- And to top it all off, basically all the brothers and sisters from my Oma moved to South Africa in the '50s because they thought Apartheid was the greatest thing ever.

:geert:

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
My maternal grandfather was a military dog handler. During the 1970s he had five children and then disappeared for a number of years. My grandmother assumed he'd left and began seeing somebody else. One day my grandfather suddenly returned and, seeing a strange man on the sofa, said something like "Who the gently caress are you? I'm back now, get out of my house." and simply moved back in.

He never spoke about it, and nobody knew where he had gone for those four years until his funeral in the early 90's, when in addition to the typical blazer + medals old military buds there was a whole different crew entirely, looking a bit more... irregular, you might say. It came to light he'd spent his time away fighting as a mercenary in the Rhodesian Bush War to uphold white minority rule.

tl;dr my grandpa was a soldier of fortune in an ethnic African civil war and probably set dogs on civilians while wearing khaki shorts and a big hat.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
These confessions have gotten way better in the last dozen or so posts

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

After both of my grandparents passed, we discovered my grandmother wasn't his first wife. He married some gal in France towards the end of ww2, but she didn't want to move to the US when his deployment ended.

Also that same grandmother is how I'm very distantly related to Marguerite Of France, daughter of a king of France and second wife of a king of england. Both of which held crusades. There's a very strong chance that at some point in the past my family has oppressed your family.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay this is it here I go:
- My grandfather molested my mother
- My grandmother had kids with three other dudes, of my mom's 4 siblings she's the only one who's biological parents were married
- My Paternal Grandfather worked for a private research institution as a 'nuclear waste management engineer,' and one gently caress up he did caused a LOT of people to get cancer. He lived to be 87 and was actually a pretty good guy

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
this thread is :five: as gently caress

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Another one I thought of was that I'm fairly sure judging from what he's divulged to me and information I've gleaned from his old squad/unit/whatever-mates that my dad was involved with Air America or something similar in Vietnam and Laos, flying helicopters that were involved with less-savory aspects of the US in SE Asia at the time. He's mentioned rescue missions but he's also kind of said things in passing that made me think there might have been some shadier poo poo. He's agreed finally to let me do a lot of interviews in the hopes of recording his experience so I'll be curious to see what may or may not come out.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
On my mother`s side my family used to be pretty Rich. But then the 30`s hit and the pater familias happened to be suffering from dementia. He basically gave all our land and property away for nothing. He got confused about the real cost things you see.

One of my aunts on my father`s side tried to start a ostrich farm with husband number 4. But he turned out be a mean drunk. The animals were neglected and he spent most of the time drunk or high. She had to flee with my niece one nigth because she had enough of him smacking her in the face or kicking her in the stomach. He never went to prison tough, there was insufficent evidence.

My aunt on my mother's side was a schizo. She spent most of her short life going from husband to husband getting involved with christian cults and making babies with men she could not recall meeting. She had a rough and messy life. My grandfather and grandmother tried to get her help but it was almost impossible. She was sometimes seen begging in the streets by the late 70`s. By this time was addicted to heroin. Eventually she disappeared in New Mexico in 1983. What happened to her no one knows. But towards the end she was homeless and very ill, ( maybe it was aids, we don`t know). I think someone killed her, she was such an easy target. All we know is that she had a lot of kids in the US (mostly out of wedlock) who got taken into care. I have met many of them and they are all cool and awesome people.

My grandfather was a abusive alcoholic prick who beat all of his seven children daily. I remember his funeral. It was a small event. My father`s side of the family was there. No one cried, no one appeared to be sad. He was dead and they were glad for it. Since i never knew him much i felt pretty numb myself.

My mother`s father was a pretty good and decent man. His only sin was getting my mother`s mother pregant out of wedlock. But his uncle worked with the Nazi`s and got a lot of loot from them. He even got a apartment formerly owned by a Jewish Family. He and his wife served time in jail after the war for treason. Funny enough his brother was the complete opposite and joined the resistance precisly because he as a police officers did not want to deport Jews.

A long long time ago a member of my family owned slaves in Jamaica.

That about sums it up.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

My mother`s father was a pretty good and decent man. His only sin was getting my mother`s mother pregant out of wedlock. But his uncle worked with the Nazi`s and got a lot of loot from them. He even got a apartment formerly owned by a Jewish Family. He and his wife served time in jail after the war for treason. Funny enough his brother was the complete opposite and joined the resistance precisly because he as a police officers did not want to deport Jews.
People with stories in their family like this, get them recorded in some form or another before it's too late :smith: It's so loving important to have these both for family history and just general history but so many families (at least in the US) don't give a poo poo. Reading the autobiography my maternal granddad did and finding out he was involved in the really nasty union vs. scabs/Pinkerton wars on the union side was really a new look at the man I knew him as.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Yes, and it's quite hilarious if you are in my family, but you'll probably just find it to be worthy of a smirk. The hilarity derives totally from how my grandmother is MORTIFIED by this.

Keep in mind - I come from a Minnesota barely working-class family background on both sides. My grandmother has always been the one concerned with appearances and is appalled to think that some family secret that she married into without knowledge is a source of shame. It has to do with my grandfather (her husband) and his grandmother on the paternal side. Meanwhile, my grandmother's mother was a notorious roustabout who had, at various times, been arrested for prostitution (which, in Minnesota during the late 1800s, could have been sitting next to a man in a saloon and accepting a shot of whiskey - who the gently caress knows) and had spent a couple of stints in the nuthut for generally being a whackjob. I knew her - she was a cracker.

In any case, my grandmother's husband (my grandfather; he passed away 10 years ago or so) comes from a steadfast, morally upright stock. He was a protestant minister, and his father and forefathers were farmers and frontiersmen. My grandmother at one point became obsessed with genealogy. I think she had the bright idea that she could trace family lineage back to nobility in the 1300s or something. But, she hit a snag as she was researching her husband's family. Apparently, my grandfather's grandmother (on his father's side) was notorious for her loose moral character. I would not go so far as to say "whore," because again - Minnesota, and now we are talking Civil War era. Who knows what the case could have been - perhaps she held hands with the mayor under the mayor's wife's jealous gaze. Could have been anything.

Well, apparently, there were letters from about a certain time to my grandfather's grandmother that called into question the paternity of my grandfather's father. If it sounds like that episode of Black Adder, it is pretty much the same plot. However, instead of Edmund blustering into the throne room to dramatically recite the damning evidence of his mother's infidelity, my grandmother (in her 60s at this time; this was about 30 years ago) burst into the room, where a family dinner was ongoing, clutching a crumpled, decades-old piece of personal correspondence, and shouted at my grandfather:" You're not who I married! Your grandmother was a whore and instead of marrying a [my family's name, redacted] I married the son of a bastard Dufresne! You're nothing but the grandson of a scoundrel beaver-bagger!" [apparently this "Dufresne" character was a trapper.]

There was about 30 seconds of silence, and then as all 20 (20!!!) people in the room realized how utterly ridiculous my grandmother looked, standing in the doorway, clutching a crumpled manuscript in her shaking fist, crying with shame and indignity because she married a man whose grandfather may or may not have been a beaver trapper (a very lucrative trade at the time the alleged infidelity would have happened), everyone tried to contain their laughter. But, it was hard. Yes - that's the big scandal.

Oh, and my uncle had to go to state prison because he didn't report to the state that his two children had gone to live with their mother and he kept receiving state assistance money intended for the care of the children. But that was just stupid; it's not even shocking. My grandmother's sheer outrage abnd shame? AMAZING. I wish I could go back and relive that day over and over.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
My grandparents had a triad relationship with another man in the 60s.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Well, apparently, there were letters from about a certain time to my grandfather's grandmother that called into question the paternity of my grandfather's father. If it sounds like that episode of Black Adder, it is pretty much the same plot. However, instead of Edmund blustering into the throne room to dramatically recite the damning evidence of his mother's infidelity, my grandmother (in her 60s at this time; this was about 30 years ago) burst into the room, where a family dinner was ongoing, clutching a crumpled, decades-old piece of personal correspondence, and shouted at my grandfather:" You're not who I married! Your grandmother was a whore and instead of marrying a [my family's name, redacted] I married the son of a bastard Dufresne! You're nothing but the grandson of a scoundrel beaver-bagger!" [apparently this "Dufresne" character was a trapper.]
And I thought the family reunion where my uncle kept sneaking out to shoot up was dramatic :allears: Holy poo poo.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
A great uncle of mine killed himself where his son would find him. Rifle, head, boom. My parents told me he had a heart attack in the woods, and years later I said that I hope I go out like Uncle John, quick and simple without a long decline. They told me how he really died after that.

On a lighterish note, my great great great grandmother's parents both died in the same night of cholera in the untamed wilds of pre-Civil War Texas, but she was only an orphan for a few months when a guy traveling through town asked her to marry him and then ride off into the sunset together. They were married for 60 years.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
my grandfather and grandmother lies about our nationality, I only found out doing genealogy. I had heard a rumor once but thought it was stupid.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
My father (who I never met) used to write letters to me. He said he was in a grunge band in Seattle that was making it big and he would try and come and see me. One day he stopped writing to me. His last letter to me was sent on April 4 1994 and after that he stopped replying.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My grandma had all kinds of old people dementia for a long time and my grandfather just kinda openly had a girlfriend because his actual wife was too crazy then they immediately got married when my grandmother died.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Grandma's aunt had a kid very young out of wedlock circa world war 1. Her parents adopted the grandbaby and the baby was always told her mom (the aunt) was her sister. Weird situation.

Same deal with my dad re: adopted by grandparents and told his mom was his sister. Cept this was circa 1960.

Also it means his shitload of nephews are actually his brothers.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Not only am I a literal skeleton from having lost inhuman amounts of weight but I got disowned a month ago, likely over the hellthread (not even kidding).

Basically what transpired was my would-be landlady found out it'd be illegal to serve me a lease because of occupancy limitations, and I had like a week to find a new place. Told my mom about it to see if I could get a little help finding a new place in time and she removed and blocked me on facebook (lol). Later she told my grandma she'd "washed her hands of [me]" because I am unable to magically not be depressed or have significant problems just because she says to.

Pretty much every time they found out about a suicide attempt, ideation, or my general malaise she'd do her best to make it about her instead, and I got pretty fed up with it after a while. I realize pretty much anything I say in a public forum could get back to her and co. or whatever but the damage is already done and this isn't nearly as "bad" or indicting of a post as the handful of times I posted about the cake mix thing, so :shrug:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

Not only am I a literal skeleton from having lost inhuman amounts of weight but I got disowned a month ago, likely over the hellthread (not even kidding).

Basically what transpired was my would-be landlady found out it'd be illegal to serve me a lease because of occupancy limitations, and I had like a week to find a new place. Told my mom about it to see if I could get a little help finding a new place in time and she removed and blocked me on facebook (lol). Later she told my grandma she'd "washed her hands of [me]" because I am unable to magically not be depressed or have significant problems just because she says to.

Pretty much every time they found out about a suicide attempt, ideation, or my general malaise she'd do her best to make it about her instead, and I got pretty fed up with it after a while. I realize pretty much anything I say in a public forum could get back to her and co. or whatever but the damage is already done and this isn't nearly as "bad" or indicting of a post as the handful of times I posted about the cake mix thing, so :shrug:

um... yeah...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im the skeleton in the closet. im banned from seeing my cousins and other extended family

Noyemi K posted:

ur family nuts

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

JFairfax posted:

um... yeah...

This should tell you a lot about it, just fill in the blanks

Other weird behaviour:
-One time she registered for a forum my stepdad frequented and impersonated me, got quite angry when I registered myself and explained the situation to a couple users
-During that fiasco near the end, she logged into my stepdad's account and apologized to herself for infidelity (though when he does publicly apologize to her for indeterminate fuckups he writes the same way)

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 7, 2015

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Noyemi K posted:

lol if your mom had a time machine she'd get an abortion

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
My great grandmother was murdered by a guy who was obsessed with her. She was married and rejected him. He came into the insurance agency where she worked, blew her and everyone there away with a shotgun, and then blew his brains out.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

kimihia posted:

My father (who I never met) used to write letters to me. He said he was in a grunge band in Seattle that was making it big and he would try and come and see me. One day he stopped writing to me. His last letter to me was sent on April 4 1994 and after that he stopped replying.

That guy's name? Adolph Hitler

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Obligatory Handle posted:

That guy's name? Albert Einstein

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Dick Fagballzson posted:

My great grandmother was murdered by a guy who was obsessed with her. She was married and rejected him. He came into the insurance agency where she worked, blew her and everyone there away with a shotgun, and then blew his brains out.

this would have made a great e/n thread.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Great uncle - WWI PTSD related suicide
Half sister from dad's previous marriage that he never told us kids about. Funny part is her heart exploded while she was singing in the choir due to some defect after we'd all met her.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rambling Robot posted:

this would have made a great e/n thread.

what, by mass telegram?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

milkingmycow posted:

her heart exploded while she was singing in the choir due to some defect after we'd all met her.

:eyepop: my condolences, though that is pretty loving metal

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Pick posted:

what, by mass telegram?

the guy would obviously ask goons what to do beforehand

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
My great-grandfather was a pilot in WW2, pacific theatre. He had significant standing in the air force, and several levels of security clearance. He would intimate that there were very clandestine things taking place but of course wouldn't tell us what the hell he was talking about. He still "can't talk about it" but who knows, maybe he just wants to feel important.

The skeleton is this: After he got out he joined the Dayton OH police department and was employed during the Dayton race riots of 1963 and 1966. Presumably he cracked skulls and administered wooden shampoos with impunity.

Thats much less a source of pride than his heroics in the war...

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
apparently im directly related to some guy who fiercly fought to keep slavery around in the USA . I saw a dot matrix family tree and everything. also another one of my direct relatives hosed abraham lincoln

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
My mother was almost raped in Southside Chicago, the guy put a gun to her head and tried to drag her into an alley. She managed to mace him over her shoulder then stomped his nuts a bunch and booked. Cops never caught the guy.

My father once smoked crushed up horse tranquilizers out of a corn cob pipe. I also found out the reason he rode motorcycles was because in his younger years he got so many DUIs they took away his licence. He also did a short jail stint for beating up 3 Mexican guys in a turkey factory with one of his brothers.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My mom's the biggest gossip on her side of the family, and every time I go to visit my parents she always tells me the hottest info on whatever new poo poo's going on in this huge (100+) Hispanic family. She always prefaces it with "just in case anybody asks you about it...", but I know she just wants to tell someone who doesn't know what's going on yet.

The latest bit is my aunt, her Jamaican husband, and their two daughters. The older one has a severe mental disability that keeps her at home as she's pushing 40, and the other's pretty normal. She got married to a Japanese dude a few years back and they seemed pretty happy together. One day they're talking about kids and the husband said he didn't want any, because apparently he was afraid they'd end up dark skinned like my uncle. I figured racism like that is one of the checks you do before you get married to someone, but I guess it slipped her mind because how could an Asian dude be racist?

Anyway they end up filing for divorce due to this and other complications, and my cousin goes to her mother to talk things out about the divorce. Apparently when they got to the fear of darkie babies, my aunt tried to console my cousin by saying she has nothing to worry about, because my uncle isn't her real father. When it came time for a second child, my aunt was afraid of having two disabled children weighing them down, so she secretly hosed another dude and just never told my uncle.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 7, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moldy Taxes posted:

My mom's the biggest gossip on her side of the family, and every time I go to visit my parents she always tells me the hottest info on whatever new poo poo's going on in this huge (100+) Hispanic family. She always prefaces it with "just in case anybody asks you about it...", but I know she just wants to tell someone who doesn't know what's going on yet.

The latest bit is my aunt, her Jamaican husband, and their two daughters. The older one has a severe mental disability that keeps her at home as she's pushing 40, and the other's pretty normal. She got married to a Japanese dude a few years back and they seemed pretty happy together. One day they're talking about kids and the husband said he didn't want any, because apparently he was afraid they'd end up dark skinned like my uncle. I figured racism like that is one of the checks you do before you get married to someone, but I guess it slipped her mind because how could an Asian dude be racist?

Anyway they end up filing for divorce due to this and other complications, and my cousin goes to her mother to talk things out about the divorce. Apparently when they got to the fear of darkie babies, but aunt tried to console my cousin by saying she has nothing to worry about, because my uncle isn't her real father. When it came time for a second child, my aunt was afraid of having two disabled children weighing them down, so she secretly hosed another dude and just never told my uncle.

now this is a good one

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
the entirety of my dad's side of my family is voting trump

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Steak posted:

the entirety of my dad's side of my family is voting trump

i bet you wish they would keep it secret.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
the day my uncle died my mom told me she wasn't going to his funeral because he molested her for years when she was a kid and i was like :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moldy Taxes posted:

Anyway they end up filing for divorce due to this and other complications, and my cousin goes to her mother to talk things out about the divorce. Apparently when they got to the fear of darkie babies, my aunt tried to console my cousin by saying she has nothing to worry about, because my uncle isn't her real father. When it came time for a second child, my aunt was afraid of having two disabled children weighing them down, so she secretly hosed another dude and just never told my uncle.

Just went to another level right here.

• Locked thread