Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

jackyl posted:

my grandfather was a bombardier in b 17s and gave me a typewritten copy of his bombing runs once, which was cool

he also said regulations expressly forbade bombardiers from sitting in that glass bubble at take off and landing but he did it all the time because it was fun

:rip: him

bombardier or ball gunner? Not to be a poo poo here but the "glass bubble" sounds like the ball turret and it's inches off the ground and you have nothing under you and I know for a fact the regulations were not allowing people in the ball turret during takeoff

In a B-17 the bombardier was ahead of the navigator, so in the plexiglass nose. So if you mean that bubble then yeah I could see that but afaik being in the nose was the standard take-off position for bombardiers

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Nobody knows any details. The only thing left is a little urn of ashes, some old pics, and an amulet. I remember him sitting me and my siblings down when we were young as gently caress and explaining how when he died he wanted to be cremated and what that ment and he probably had like ten years left. My mom flipped out and thought we'd be, like, traumatized or something, but I at least was totally fine with it and got it.

I've had this bronze amulet for a while and nobody could figure out what the gently caress. My one friend was a mason and was intrigued and kinda creeped out by it, cause he said he thought it looked Masonic, but if it was it would have to be "really high degree over what I know. Usually you can tell if a figure is supposed to be good or bad, but you can't tell at all with this." Etc, etc. Then one day I was watching some science channel thing on syncretic religions and they talked about the Philippines and I paused, rewound, freeze framed. It was right there, super similar practically the same. They only showed it for a few seconds. Dunno how he ended up with the thing.

Pics/documentary link?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Sorry, guys, it was me. I invented the whole 'medicate 'em straight' thing. I am a time traveller and I had to go back to Get Granddad Laid otherwise I was going to not be born, but it turned out he was gay! Well, I had to do *something*

He hung himself later, but hey, I'm here!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Drink Cheerwine posted:

woah, stealing a whole boat is quite a feat

*feet

• Locked thread