Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Couldn't find a thread for this and the first episode aired on Sunday. Figured I'd make a thread because I like reading about the shows I watch.

I'm lazy so I'm going to post Season 5 Episode 1's Plot from Wiki.

:siren: Spoilers for episode 1 ahead. :siren:

quote:

Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes), now working as head of security for the philantrophic Düring Foundation, is informed by boss Otto Düring (Sebastian Koch) his intentions to travel to a Syrian refugee camp in Lebanon in order to secure relief funds from several benefactors. He gives Carrie three days to prepare them for the extremely dangerous trip. Carrie first consults with CIA Berlin station chief Allison Carr (Miranda Otto), requesting intelligence on the current situation in Lebanon, and is taken aback when Allison offers nothing unless Carrie reciprocates with inside information on the Düring Foundation's dealings. Carrie leaves and has a tense run-in with Saul (Mandy Patinkin), who sharply criticizes her for leaving the CIA and working for "the other side".

Two hackers in Berlin vandalize an Islamic State recruitment web site. A CIA technician in Berlin, monitoring traffic to this web site, witnesses the breach and probes the hackers' computer in an attempt to identify it. The hackers take this opportunity and counterattack, gaining access to the CIA network and obtaining many classified documents. One of the documents is leaked to Laura Sutton (Sarah Sokolovic), a journalist at the Düring Foundation. The document reveals that German intelligence was subverting their country's privacy laws by hiring the CIA to perform surveillance in Germany and report back information on jihadists who are living there.

When German officials learn from Saul and Allison that the CIA computer network was breached, they immediately call an end to the surveillance program. Saul opts to continue the program independent of the Germans, enlisting Quinn (Rupert Friend) to assassinate confirmed targets, though without any agency's support. Quinn readily agrees.

Carrie manages to arrange a meeting with Hezbollah commander Al-Amin where she requests safe passage to the Syrian refugee camp which is under their control. She is seemingly rebuffed when Al-Amin makes note of Carrie's past affiliation with the CIA and ends the conversation. However, Carrie receives a call that night confirming that Otto Düring is now an invited guest of Hezbollah.

Carrie now has a new boyfriend, who she lives with in Germany with her daughter Frannie. He's another ginger. He also seemingly had a thing with the journalist that he and Carrie work with who is going to publish the CIA leak. She basically amounts to being an angsty tumblr blog poster. So expect some form of stupid drama to come about from that.

At any rate..post your thoughts of this season so far, the season past, or just post your conspiracy posts about Brody still being alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
A very muted opening episode.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I haven't finished episode 1 yet but the gay caliphate video from a few months ago being included was awesome

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 7, 2015

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Not the most engaging of starts.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
I wonder how many episodes it will take for this season to go completely retarded. I still really like this show for some reason.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

HairyNipple! posted:

I wonder how many episodes it will take for this season to go completely retarded. I still really like this show for some reason.

Considering that there is already boyfriend / journalist drama I can see stupidity happening very soon. Also the Mr. Robot poo poo with the German hacktivists is kind of random.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I liked it.

A lot has changed since last season so this was a good episode to set up the board and make the first few moves, advancing pawns and setting up some of the more powerful pieces.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I thought this was a strong opening episode. They handled the inter-season time jump very well and are continuing to integrate current events into the plot, which was one of the strongest points of season 4. I like this show because when it's good, it's great, and when it's bad, it's frustrating instead of boring.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 12, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Wow people really don't give a poo poo about this show here, huh?? I like it a lot!!

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
Otto is so dead

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The gently caress was up with Quinn's latest target? Did that say Matheson?

also the opening episodes were muted but fascinating, and the trailer for the season makes me every excited.

loving love this show. Stupid at times, but it's the only semi-realistic show about intelligence out there that I've found. Very grounded, and I really like it for that.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I have a feeling this season is gonna be a gut punch...

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Good episode. My conspiracy spidey senses are tingling big time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm really digging this season so far. I suppose the question now would be whether it was Saul who put the hit on Carrie or someone else. At any rate I can't imagine Quinn tries to go through with it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

The gently caress was up with Quinn's latest target?

Isis recruiter, I think. Super at risk young women, the planned route through Turkey... it wasn't going to end well

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

jfood posted:

Isis recruiter, I think. Super at risk young women, the planned route through Turkey... it wasn't going to end well

No no, I don't mean her, I mean the name he got at the end of the latest episode. It looked like it was Carrie's name but I honestly couldn't tell since his handwriting was loving awful and they showed it for maybe a second.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

No no, I don't mean her, I mean the name he got at the end of the latest episode. It looked like it was Carrie's name but I honestly couldn't tell since his handwriting was loving awful and they showed it for maybe a second.

It said "Mathison," so yeah he's been sent after Carrie.

Edit: Or Franny! That would be a twist.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 12, 2015

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. One thing I think homeland does really well is make the calm before the storm moments incredibly tense. I was worried Quinn was about to get got at the end of the episode. Sending him after Carrie is interesting but I can't imagine he would ever actually do it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You'd think that Saul, of all people, would find literally any other CIA spook to go after Carrie. Quinn is a professional, but yeah, I doubt he'd have the gumption to kill Carrie.

Saul, you doofus.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'm like 90% sure the CIA isn't trying to kill Carrie

not that i would blame them if they were

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That was a good episode and they've setup the next few episodes very well. So far this season has been great

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I may have missed something - The recruiter that Quinn shoots, does she say 'Peter' when she sees him? Did they explain how she knew him yet or is that still coming?

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Nah she said "Bitte" which is just German for please.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

scytale posted:

Nah she said "Bitte" which is just German for please.

Ahhh, cool

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Finally got around to watching this episode. So is Saul working with that group in Beirut to get Carrie killed or is she being targeted by both Saul and the Beirut terrorists simultaneously?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Obscurity posted:

Finally got around to watching this episode. So is Saul working with that group in Beirut to get Carrie killed or is she being targeted by both Saul and the Beirut terrorists simultaneously?

Why do you think Saul?

If it's anyone, it's Miranda Otto or Dar Adal. That's my guess, anyway.

Also, this season continues the upwards trend of the last two years. They'll probably never hit the highs of Season 1, but this is good, and I think it's been good for a while.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Probably because Saul is the one who's supposed to be feeding Quinn the targets.

The pleading "Bitte" from the ISIL recruiter sounded weird, almost like she was asking him to repeat something he'd said.

It's probably because I'm from Berlin but a lot of stuff about the locales seemed off. The post office looks like something in South Germany, but he's stalking the ISIL recruiter in Berlin (by the way, his number plate reads B-ND :laffo: edit: Ah, nope, B-NB) - I guess for Americans the distances in Germany are laughable. The post office sign also looks fake as gently caress but I guess they didn't have the rights to use the real logo or whatever.

I agree that some of the scenes like the rally and Quinn at the post office felt tense as hell.

Does stuff like what they did at the refugee camp actually happen in real life? I mean nonprofits/NGOs showing up and acting like they're trying to get reelected. It felt so nonsensical.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
So about all that graffiti in the refugee camp: http://www.hebaamin.com/arabian-street-artists-bomb-homeland-why-we-hacked-an-award-winning-series/

quote:

At the beginning of June 2015, we received a phone call from a friend who has been active in the Graffiti and Street art scene in Germany for the past 30 years and has researched graffiti in the Middle East extensively. He had been contacted by “Homeland’s” set production company who were looking for “Arabian street artists” to lend graffiti authenticity to a film set of a Syrian refugee camp on the Lebanese/Syrian border for their new season. Given the series’ reputation we were not easily convinced, until we considered what a moment of intervention could relay about our own and many others’ political discontent with the series. It was our moment to make our point by subverting the message using the show itself.

quote:

Homeland is racist
#gasewsew (a reference to the Egyptian Abla Fahita puppet on spying) (photos courtesy of the artists)

Many more examples in the link. loving hilarious.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 15, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

FuriousxGeorge posted:

So about all that graffiti in the refugee camp: http://www.hebaamin.com/arabian-street-artists-bomb-homeland-why-we-hacked-an-award-winning-series/

Many more examples in the link. loving hilarious.

Eh, that's pretty lovely. "We don't like that this show misrepresents the Middle East, so now that they've reached out to us for help in presenting a more authentic Middle East let's trick them and make sure the graffiti in the show is inauthentic. Then let's make sure everybody knows what we did and how cool we are!"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

lol, lighten up, it's a great prank regardless of how you feel about the show or the social issues. There is a long Hollywood tradition of this sort of thing.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/26/kiss_my_behind_king_cetewayo_the_secret_hilarity_of_untranslated_foreign_language_movie_lines/

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/nike.asp

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 15, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Striking out against American imperialism :golfclap:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Eh, that's pretty lovely. "We don't like that this show misrepresents the Middle East, so now that they've reached out to us for help in presenting a more authentic Middle East let's trick them and make sure the graffiti in the show is inauthentic. Then let's make sure everybody knows what we did and how cool we are!"

A show portraying a racist perception of the Middle East just hires random Arabic artists and doesn't even bother to check to make sure the writing is 'correct' because all they want viewers to see is a bunch of squiggles and dots.

Yeah, the artists are the assholes in this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The show is really better than literally every other TV show when it comes to MENA.

It's actually mostly accurate, even if there's some minor issues that aren't perfectly accurate.

Also lol @ that source

Like you guys realize they're a mouthpiece for Iran right?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah seriously, in what sense is Homeland racist?

I mean, maybe in a vacuum, there are some racist elements, but compared to any other show on television that deals with a similar subject matter? Compared to 24?

Homeland routinely has middle eastern characters who work with the protagonists and are against terrorism whilst having rogue elements within the CIA who work against american interests, it even has you sympathize with the Bin-Laden stand-in cause his son got murdered by an american drone.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Also lol @ that source

Like you guys realize they're a mouthpiece for Iran right?

I did not realize that. Tell me more.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So yeah, there's no way Quinn's ever going through with it but most likely Saul's just playing a long game to get Carrie back in the game, right? RIGHT?

The episode gave me 24 flashbacks where I'd scream at Jack to stay the gently caress out of it, not get involved with any of this poo poo and just enjoy spending quality time with his kid/grandkid. Frannie's adorable, Germany seems relatively chill, just stay away from it all, Carrie. :ohdear:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I did not realize that. Tell me more.

Notice how she's only upset with the portrayal of Shia muslims? About how she opens the article complaining about how poor Iran and Hezbollah are misrepresented and tainted by association with Al-Qaeda? I mean she's not wrong, they didn't have much to do with Al Qaeda, but the point remains she immediately went to the bat for Iran and Hezbollah, immediately criticized its portrayal of Lebanon and Beirut instead of discussing the ways in which Homeland misrepresents Sunnis (which it does, at times). I agree, that Homeland misrepresented Iran back in S1, but Al Qaeda as an Iranian proxy is certainly not an idea that has any degree of prevalence in American society, and certainly not when it comes to American policy.

On the source: Heba Amin is a former Egyptian activist and fairly well known artist; she even had some involvement with the Bureau of International Information Programs back in 2008, and studied in the U.S. Her works tend to be milquetoast anti-'imperialist'/anti-US/left wing in general. There's no connection between her and the Iranian government to my knowledge, but she's still serving their interests in this matter, however indirectly. In any event, she's a somewhat public figure living comfortably in Egypt under Sisi, and Egyptian and Iranian narratives tend to be fairly similar these days. Though I should say that her college, Caram Kapp, is by no means friends to the Sisi regime, and has spoken publicly against its repressive internal measures.

Calling her an Iranian mouthpiece was an overstatement and somewhat unfair to Amin. She's still biased and still serves an Iranian narrative that they've been pushing since the 2000s: That Shia muslims are under assault, that the Gulf and America and Israel are seeking to destroy them and their way of life, and that anti-Shia hate permeates every aspect of American society. Even on the last point they're wrong - Islamophobia certainly permeates American society to a great extent, but it's not specifically anti-Shia by any measure, and by portraying it in such away Amin reveals her biases.

Homeland is an informative show for a lot of people. It doesn't get everything right by any stretch of the imagination and absolutely misrepresents Shiite Muslims... but they're not the only ones misrepresented by any means, and pushing such a narrative is harmful and inaccurate. And hey, 70% accurate information is way better than the 10% every other show on air gets. And I have to say Homeland's treatment of the CIA and American MENA policy is a massive breath of fresh air when contrasted with far-fetched conspiracy theories.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Homeland is an informative show

I see. Tell me more?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I see. Tell me more?

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I particularly enjoyed the Urdu language lessons.

• Locked thread