Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

blue squares posted:

It's not a kill order. We didn't see the final message, maybe. When Saul says "I'm working on it" as to who is going to be the fall guy, he means Carrie.

no it was that guy who talked to him on the balcony. Carrie dosent even work for the CIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

no it was that guy who talked to him on the balcony. Carrie dosent even work for the CIA.

But they could still say she leaked the documents? I wasn't sure exactly what they needed a fall guy for.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

blue squares posted:

It's not a kill order. We didn't see the final message, maybe. When Saul says "I'm working on it" as to who is going to be the fall guy, he means Carrie.

Pretty sure he meant the American Ambassador to Germany...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

blue squares posted:

But they could still say she leaked the documents? I wasn't sure exactly what they needed a fall guy for.

To take the blame for the hack that caused them to leak out the documents, seen as a screw up by the CIA. Blaming someone outside the organisation was not the idea.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I didn't see Quinn get an order to kill/take in Carrie, did he or is he working on his own?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just hope that the whole "Carrie tries to channel her inner superspy through the use of her secret unmedicated crazy powers" thing doesn't make another appearance.

That was awful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Boatswain posted:

That was awful.

Yeah that was bad, though it worked out in that she didn't actually come up with anything concrete besides that atonement bit.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Boatswain posted:

I didn't see Quinn get an order to kill/take in Carrie, did he or is he working on his own?

The last name on his kill list was Mathison. And it us a kill list as far as we're aware. The scene introducing the posy office states how simple the arrangement is. "Name in box, I kill them"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Putting Carrie's name in Quinn's kill list sounds more like letting Quinn know that someone in the organization wants Carrie dead and have him due to his personal feelings towards Carrie ignore his orders and act like her guardian murder-spy angel.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He might take her to a Peter Piper Pizza, instead. We don't know.

I want to see Carrie have a freakout at a Peter Piper Pizza. In Germany.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Putting Carrie's name in Quinn's kill list sounds more like letting Quinn know that someone in the organization wants Carrie dead and have him due to his personal feelings towards Carrie ignore his orders and act like her guardian murder-spy angel.

That's a bit of a gamble either way. If you want Carrie dead, probably best not to send the guy who was in love with her. If you want to save her, probably best not to give the cold-blooded emotionally burned out killer her name via a kill list in the hope his old love for her will make sure he does the opposite. The only way it makes sense to send Quinn is if it's a cheap case of keeping the audience unnecessarily in the dark and the full note was 'Mathison is in danger'.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

The last name on his kill list was Mathison.

Thanks, I didn't watch the last episode very carefully.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Junkenstein posted:

That's a bit of a gamble either way. If you want Carrie dead, probably best not to send the guy who was in love with her. If you want to save her, probably best not to give the cold-blooded emotionally burned out killer her name via a kill list in the hope his old love for her will make sure he does the opposite. The only way it makes sense to send Quinn is if it's a cheap case of keeping the audience unnecessarily in the dark and the full note was 'Mathison is in danger'.

or if it wasn't saul who put the name there

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm still (trying to) watch season 4, does it get better? I just saw Carrie's super freakout with Brody.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

monster on a stick posted:

I'm still (trying to) watch season 4, does it get better? I just saw Carrie's super freakout with Brody.

wait didn't he die in season 3?

Also yes, season 4 and (so far) 5 are absolutely fantastic. Not as genius as season 1, but waaaay better than seasons 2 and 3.

also wrt this episode: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/10/25/homeland-season-5-episode-4-an-intelligence-expert-weighs-in/

I'm not so sure I'd call such a public (and obvious) figure an expert on current day practices, but yeah he's on point the entire time here.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Why is the serial killer the only person on this show who isn't an insufferable piece of poo poo?

Brody was right, Abu Nazir did nothing wrong.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

also wrt this episode: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/10/25/homeland-season-5-episode-4-an-intelligence-expert-weighs-in/

I'm not so sure I'd call such a public (and obvious) figure an expert on current day practices, but yeah he's on point the entire time here.

Houghton does a good job with SpyCast. drat I need to catch up on my podcasts :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Good job lying to the Russians, you big dumb naive gently caress.

Now you're dead.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
After this last episode I can't wait for the journalist chick to get Michael Claytoned in the back third of the season. It's gonna be SOOOOO satisfying. They make her character way too much of an always-on bitch for me to handle.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This episode was actually interesting, Quinn and Carrie really are much better together.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This continues to be really pretty good. And the "why send Quinn to kill Carrie" question was answered logically (assuming Carr didn't know who the hitman receiving the names was).

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Are we assuming she's a Russian asset or just hungry for power and hubristic? She used the same guy that retrieved the drive but they might be working for her and not the Russian embassy/GRU?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Boatswain posted:

She used the same guy that retrieved the drive but they might be working for her and not the Russian embassy/GRU?

Duh, I totally missed that. I'd say she's definitely working with the Russians then, and doing quite well, what with sleeping with Saul and all. In fact I'm going to pretend that *The Americans Spoiler* She's Paige all grown up and successfully infiltrated the CIA as part of the Second Gen plot

I guess she planted the bomb because the Russians don't want anyone messing with Assad?

This also brings all the plot threads together. This is decent spy storytelling, please don't mess it up Homeland.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Boatswain posted:

Are we assuming she's a Russian asset or just hungry for power and hubristic? She used the same guy that retrieved the drive but they might be working for her and not the Russian embassy/GRU?

Was that the same guy? I thought so at first, and they look really similar, but it would be weird if the Russian operative's phone only had the number of a CIA officer in it, and not any of his (presumably) FSB contacts.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

ShakeZula posted:

Was that the same guy? I thought so at first, and they look really similar, but it would be weird if the Russian operative's phone only had the number of a CIA officer in it, and not any of his (presumably) FSB contacts.

That was a burner phone though, right? It only had one number in the whole thing.

I also totally didn't pick up that it was the same guy, but it really does bring everything together. This season is heating up to be some classic Homeland.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Except anything German except for the sets is a cringefest. Is that post office supposed to be in Munich? It's the only German set that looks like Americans imagine a German town, but the cars have Berlin license plates. :cripes:

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Zwille posted:

Except anything German except for the sets is a cringefest. Is that post office supposed to be in Munich? It's the only German set that looks like Americans imagine a German town, but the cars have Berlin license plates. :cripes:

That's just classic Homeland though. They've been inaccurately depicting cities in the Middle East for the past four seasons. Now it's our turn.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

HairyNipple! posted:

That was a burner phone though, right? It only had one number in the whole thing.

I also totally didn't pick up that it was the same guy, but it really does bring everything together. This season is heating up to be some classic Homeland.

You don't really get a good look at him, but I think so? I guess we'll see come Sunday.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Gold and a Pager posted:

That's just classic Homeland though. They've been inaccurately depicting cities in the Middle East for the past four seasons. Now it's our turn.

Yeah, it's oddly informative that way. I wish somebody would do a show like that on purpose though, with western societies portrayed wrong and/or over the top, just so we can feel what minorities feel when they see themselves depicted on screen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Foreign people living in their own countries are not minorities?

And really almost nobody in show business cares about authentic depictions of locales, it's just not a factor, it's usually something only a tiny minority of viewers would notice and an even tinier minority would care about. Often times it would be preferable to just depict a place or a culture in a generalized stereotypical manner just so that the audience will intuitively understand where the action takes place, this is not necessarily offensive it's just a 'shortcut'.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zwille posted:

The cars have Berlin license plates because the setting is Berlin, and it is my understanding that this season was actually filmed there. Pretty sure the locations are not sets.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Foreign people living in their own countries are not minorities?

Oops, sorry, that was poorly worded. I meant from the perspective of the country where it's produced.

Wandle Cax posted:

The cars have Berlin license plates because the setting is Berlin, and it is my understanding that this season was actually filmed there. Pretty sure the locations are not sets.

Yeah, what I was trying to say was that the post office set/locale looks like it's made up to look like they've driven to south Germany. Everything else looks distinctly like Berlin (because it is, yeah), though I guess you could dress some areas in the outskirts up like the post office market place. Köpenick comes to mind. It just sticks out like the Simpsons' "Öktöbërfëst".

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Next episode is called Better Call Saul!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
when they went to Caracas in that one season (3?) it looked nothing like Caracas, way too clean.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

This is getting pretty drat intense. They really have Saul set up nice and tight and Dar is going to snatch him up soon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Poor Saul getting set up by his scummy double agent bitch of a girlfriend.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Oh my god those protesters were awful.

E: Also lmao at Quinn ghosting Jonas and then preempting any critique of the serendipitous priest stopping him for suicide.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 2, 2015

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
didn't the redhead learn her lesson last time she tried to put saul and dar adal against each other?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
yeah there's absolutely no way Dar Adal seriously thinks Saul is colluding with the Israelis, they are playing her.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Quinn using his last bit of life to find a way to kill himself and hide the body to protect Carrie was pretty heartbreaking. I'm on the "Dar and Saul are actually a step ahead of this" boat as well.

Up until the scene this week, I was curious where exactly the phone "proving" Carrie's death went. The whole time I was thinking "why is she so sure that the pressure is off temporarily?". I guess she left it in the car/on the guy assuming someone would get it, but I would also have thought the fact that the whole plan was obviously blown up would cast a shadow on a single "Carrie is definitely dead" photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol at police in riotgear using cs gas on a handful of protesting nerds. that scene was insanely stupid.

• Locked thread