Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mr. Fix It posted:

no, that's fine. i just wanted to direct folks on to the ongoing derail there instead of another derail starting in this thread.
It'd be a shame if this thread had a detail over carbybevs, which is what they're called around these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Another image that goes better in this thread:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So many under-hated states

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Count Roland posted:

lol that Florida’s is Florida

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Count Roland posted:

I don't know what I like better, the dyads of hate (the dakotas, kansas-missouri) or the Minnesota-Wisconsin-Illinois-Indiana-Kentucky chain of midwestern smugness.

Also, why does South Carolina hate Ohio specifically?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Count Roland posted:

Right on, New Jersey.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Albino Squirrel posted:

Because South Carolina, for reasons that elude me, is a popular vacation destination for Ohioans. And everyone hates tourists.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't know what I like better, the dyads of hate (the dakotas, kansas-missouri) or the Minnesota-Wisconsin-Illinois-Indiana-Kentucky chain of midwestern smugness.

I'm pretty sure it's a college sports thing. Michigan hates Ohio for that reason and more!

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

More states should hate Iowa imo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cichlidae posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a college sports thing. Michigan hates Ohio for that reason and more!
At least with Michigan and Ohio there was a reason that had nothing to do with sports.

In the Great Toledo War when Michigan was still a territory, there was a border dispute with Ohio near modern day Toledo. In a compromise Michigan ceded Toledo in exchange for the upper peninsula. This still rankles Ohio as they have been stuck with Toledo ever since.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Albino Squirrel posted:

Pakled posted:

Because South Carolina, for reasons that elude me, is a popular vacation destination for Ohioans. And everyone hates tourists.
Myrtle Beach specifically.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s Clemson vs. Ohio State football, for some reason I don’t understand.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
With all the astronauts from Ohio, desperately trying to get as far away from it as possible, there should be a little purple dot on the east coast of Florida or something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's the tourist thing for SC vs. Ohio. I remember there was a minor league baseball team that had a "go back to Ohio night" promotion long before Clemson and OSU were meeting in the postseason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

The funniest thing about this chart to me is how North/South Dakota have a mutual hatred, as do Virginia/West Virginia, and while North Carolina hates South Carolina, South Carolina is just like "lol I don't even think about you at all".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Count Roland posted:

I am kinda surprised that Colorado isn't on Wyoming's shitlist. And I definitely wouldn't have guessed that Colorado would share in the red states' generic California hate.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I am kinda surprised that Colorado isn't on Wyoming's shitlist. And I definitely wouldn't have guessed that Colorado would share in the red states' generic California hate.

A bunch of Californians moved to Colorado and they hate them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm honestly surprised Texas isn't in the "hates California" camp, because they basically have the same thing there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh that's right, I guess I internalized that into a general "parts of Colorado hate other parts of Colorado" feeling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd really like to see a Canadian version of that map.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Count Roland posted:

General rule: Everyone hates the provinces east of their province?

But also everyone hates Alberta and Ontario. BC holed up in the Mountains of Smug.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Everyone hates Ontario, but everyone also hates Quebec, but everyone also hates Alberta, and I guess everyone hates BC too. Nobody remembers the Maritimes exist except for Quebec, which hates everybody.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Quebec doesn't remember the Maritimes, I can assure you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Gun to my head I couldn't definitively state which provinces are the Maritimes so that checks out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Even in Canada everybody forgets New Brunswick

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I hate Nebraska, but not because I live in Iowa, but because it's a barren hellscape from which only the distant cries of a banshee belie any form of life, damned though it may be.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Golbez posted:

I hate Nebraska, but not because I live in Iowa, but because it's a barren hellscape from which only the distant cries of a banshee belie any form of life, damned though it may be.

So, how long have you lived in Nebraska?

Two quotes that perfectly portray my home state:
- Nebraska: it's not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from here.
- Nebraska is proof that Hell is full and the dead walk the Earth.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nebraska has the longest straight stretch of interstate in the US, and for that it deserves universal hatred

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Count Roland posted:

I know this map is basically a shitpost, but this is specifically the thread for dataviz pedantry so I'll say that this map would be so much better with labels, probably in addition to the colours, rather than solely making the viewer discern so many slightly different shades

e: i mean you can usually guess from geographic closeness but i didn't come to this forum to think, dammit

Angepain has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Apr 24, 2021

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm honestly surprised Texas isn't in the "hates California" camp, because they basically have the same thing there.

OK hatred is much more deep rooted

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hawaii is only partially in denial.

EDIT: or is already sinking into the sea

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sorry for putting xkcd in your thread op, but this is legit

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This was a journey

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wikipedia’s timeline of geopolitical changes is less targeted than Randall Munroe’s but more detailed.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Angepain posted:

I know this map is basically a shitpost, but this is specifically the thread for dataviz pedantry so I'll say that this map would be so much better with labels, probably in addition to the colours, rather than solely making the viewer discern so many slightly different shades

e: i mean you can usually guess from geographic closeness but i didn't come to this forum to think, dammit

The legend is also not ordered alphabetically, by geography, or by color. It makes looking things up a pain.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So that's what they mean when they tell me to "keep loving around and you will find out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ok, new addition to the scientific method lessons!