Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Places commonly described as “desert”: Los Angeles, which gets fifteen inches of rain per year.

Places not commonly described as “desert”:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Platystemon posted:

Places commonly described as “desert”: Los Angeles, which gets fifteen inches of rain per year.

To reinforce the point:

I'm reminded of a YouTube "geography" video I saw pop up that completely ignored the geography of most of the state.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m the burger-taco-chicken neutrality point located in northern Texas.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's the Oregon high desert, yeah. I've spent time there, it's nice and very deserty.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

The Casserole triple point on the meat sandwich phase diagram

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Ariong posted:

it should've been a little further south to hit Austin for some sort of fried chicken burger-taco abomination youd find at like the domain or something

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ariong posted:

I'm at the burger state
I'm at the taco territory
I'm at the combination burger state and taco territory

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Blue Moonlight posted:

The amount of Oregon covered as “progressive” is…generous.

I don’t think people realize that if you go more than 15 miles outside of the I-5 corridor, it gets awfully red (well, other than Bend anyway, but it’s just full of Californians and rich city folk).

You're forgetting about Eugene, the place where they literally invented new and never before seen techniques in glass blowing (a roughly 5,000 year old art) for the purpose of smoking weed out of.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chitin posted:

You're forgetting about Eugene, the place where they literally invented new and never before seen techniques in glass blowing (a roughly 5,000 year old art) for the purpose of smoking weed out of.
:frogon:

e: another smilie victim of dark mode

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Splicer posted:

:frogon:

e: another smilie victim of dark mode

Silver fuming, or "color changing glass" as it's better known, was invented by Bob Snodgrass in Eugene in the 90s. There are a few others I believe.

Check out the documentary Degenerate Art. It's a really fascinating look into the heady glass art scene and features some hilarious interviews with some very exasperated fine art glass blowers.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Chitin posted:

Blue Moonlight posted:

I don’t think people realize that if you go more than 15 miles outside of the I-5 corridor, it gets awfully red (well, other than Bend anyway, but it’s just full of Californians and rich city folk).

Eugene's on I-5, though.

(Cool fact, though!)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blue Moonlight posted:

Well, it'd get in the way of a nice line, just like their failure to carve out Pennsyltucky and just put two blue dots for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, right?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

King Hong Kong posted:

To reinforce the point:

I'm reminded of a YouTube "geography" video I saw pop up that completely ignored the geography of most of the state.

The diff between these two illustrate an important point: if you got more than two shades of the same color in your thing, I can't read your thing.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
edit: mispost, sorry.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Chitin posted:

Silver fuming, or "color changing glass" as it's better known, was invented by Bob Snodgrass in Eugene in the 90s.
That sounds like a thin film dichroic filter. That tech was first developed in like the 50s by nasa.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've got a fever! And the only cure is to stop breathing in soluble silver compounds

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scarodactyl posted:

That sounds like a thin film dichroic filter. That tech was first developed in like the 50s by nasa.

The Romans were making dichroic glass thousands of years ago.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

True, but theirs was done with diffuse metal particles throughout the glass rather than distinct thin layers.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, it'd get in the way of a nice line, just like their failure to carve out Pennsyltucky and just put two blue dots for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, right?

It’s worse because there is still actually a line in general if you don’t mind including steppe, it just needs to bend to include northeastern California, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington by following the Cascades.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mescal posted:

The diff between these two illustrate an important point: if you got more than two shades of the same color in your thing, I can't read your thing.

Are you color vision deficient or simply remaking that “those colors are awfully similar and it’s difficult to compare them with the key”?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Are you color vision deficient or simply remaking that “those colors are awfully similar and it’s difficult to compare them with the key”?

Does it matter? The chart should be clear to the reader either way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/kmmunger/status/1369157573786677248

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What
https://twitter.com/feedkoko/status/1369170814562574337

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

For reference the paper is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022103117303980

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can you really not teach a robot to say poop?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Not without being rude

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A real scientist would've included "poop" in the keywords :colbert:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

1 24-HR DAY ROTATION
IS DEADLY ERRONEOUS

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
A citation in this paper:

quote:

containing words relating to affect (N= 74)
(‘empathy’, ‘emotion’, ‘feelings’, ‘sympathy’, ‘happiness’), faith and
forgiveness (N= 140) (‘mercy’, ‘hope’, ‘Jesus’, ‘God’, ‘faith’), food
(N= 68) (‘banana’, ‘pizza’, ‘ham’, ‘organic’), non-human agents
(N= 24) (‘robot’, ‘dog’, ‘monkey’, ‘cat’, ‘dinosaur’), life and death
(N= 169) (‘alive’, ‘pain’, ‘sex’) and bodily functions and profanities
(N= 196) (‘poop’, cf. Carlin, 1972).
Carlin, G. (1972). Seven words you can never say on television. Class Clown [CD]. Santa
Monica, California: Little David/Atlantic.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I think he'd be both proud and dismayed that that routine got sincerely cited in a journal article. Probably get another ten minute bit from it.

The purpose of the arrows isn't clear though. Do bananas need poop? Do they themselves poop? Is it because of what happens in that episode in the Nightosphere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoOqOBagBc

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Poop alive. Empathy, human.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Analysis of a cartoon dust cloud fight between three dogs and twelve geese

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I used to have a shirt with that graph on it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MrUnderbridge posted:

The purpose of the arrows isn't clear though. Do bananas need poop? Do they themselves poop? Is it because of what happens in that episode in the Nightosphere?
I think the arrows are dominance relations - "poop" is more likely to be thought human than "mercy" > "banana" > "human" > "robot"

(which like lol, robot should be 100% to be a human, the robot would never say robot)

(doubly so because robot derives from a word meaning worker/slave so really the AI would say "automaton" or something)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(doubly so because robot derives from a word meaning worker/slave so really the AI would say "automaton" or something)

Unless the robots know that :tinfoil:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/peoplesplannyc/status/1396815667517661188?s=21

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

It took me like 5 seconds, come on, speak for yourself when you say it can't be graphed.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: a negative score that cannot be graphed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

oh hey the MATH guy got a negative score lol