Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

pangstrom posted:

Yeah the author's explanation on that one was muddled. They measures SHOULD be extremely correlated, even before you account for the length/volume scaling (and moreso after). And they are. But that correlation is also trivial/uninteresting, the dimensionality thing is trivial/uninteresting, and the appearance of an interaction can be confusing. So I'd separate the lines but NOT change the scales (just move one up to separate the lines). Or just pick weight and leave the neck size off the chart. But it's all pretty small beer I think.

The author wasn't saying that demonstrating a correlation is always bad, they were pointing out that forcing one with disproportionate scales is. And they are right, there's no reason for the scales to be different proportions unless you want to try and force the visual correlation. In the strict sense of the word, the data isn't correlated because that implies a linear relationship, and as a previous poster pointed out, it is actually cubic. The new graphic doesn't really show that it is cubic, but it does remove the visual bias that would lead someone to believe it were linear.

I agree that they should have picked one (probably the weight) and go from there. It seems they wish to show that dogs in the UK are becoming more fit... but we can't really tell that from their data since it seems to be all dogs and doesn't look at it by something like breed. I think what they were trying to do with the original is show that neck size and weight went lockstep down, showing that they must be the same type of dogs thus demonstrating they have become more fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/SoellerPower/status/1118522925953449984?s=19

I don't even

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I was about to object with liberals overlapping the right but that's honestly the least wrong thing on that

If anything it needs to overlap more

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fiscally I am conservative, but socially I am The Left and The Right and Liberals.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to meet that person who is Left, Right, and Liberal.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want to meet that person who is Left, Right, and Liberal.

Check out the Democratic primary then

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I want to meet the antifa liberal who has no affiliation with the left

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haha what is Strassergate, is Strasserism an actual ideology that people identify with in 2019. What happened

e: I'm laughing at the idea of Antifa liberals, I'm imagining them showing up at a G8 summit and rioting in favor of the free market, capitalism and financial deregulation

e2: tax cuts now!!! [smashes in store window]

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Apr 18, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Almost all discussion of "strassergate" I can find on the internet is focused around that tweet and as far as I can tell, this guy is antifa and either he's trolling or he took some trolling from people claiming to be nazbols a little too seriously

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm the dirtbag left right winger

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
The more I think about this chart the more I wonder if in fact, *I* am high.

https://twitter.com/DorsaAmir/status/1118651866886361090

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

door.jar posted:

I've seen that one before - I feel like the weird year thing might make sense if the data from the chart was originally from 1999 (so "1997" would just be the year before last rather than one random arbitrarily chosen year), but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more recent than that so who knows.

I feel like maybe the data was in fact that old and was picked up by some CNN researcher who was googling marijuana stats and then presented in completely the wrong context, since the numbers would make sense if it was meant to show a rising percentage in number of Americans who have tried pot over the last few years.

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Apr 18, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

I’m the Strasserists speech bubble considered as a part of the Venn diagram itself.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've seen that one before - I feel like the weird year thing might make sense if the data from the chart was originally from 1999 (so "1997" would just be the year before last rather than one random arbitrarily chosen year), but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more recent than that so who knows.

I feel like maybe the data was in fact that old and was picked up by some CNN researcher who was googling marijuana stats and then presented in completely the wrong context, since the numbers would make sense if it was meant to show a rising percentage in number of Americans who have tried pot over the last few years.

yeah it's in HD so it's not that old

it's not what I want to believe, but I think someone at CBSN did a joke

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Looks like it's from here.

Comparing polls about marijuana done "today" (2016), 2015 and 1997, presumably because 1997 was the date of some old poll they found.

And then the data was presented in a pie chart by idiots.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The best part is the AMMOLAND logo in the corner.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

door.jar posted:

Lost my poo poo at the source being the MoE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

\that's the cop plant.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

fuckin i wish hillary had gone out in these streets lookin ready to gently caress up some nazis. i'd have volunteered every goddamn weekend

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i stole these from one of the tesla threads. elon musk continues to top himself in his ability to spin yarns of purestrain bullshit

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
does your car get 4000fps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Suspicious Dish posted:

lmao if you car gets more than 1fps — now watch me clip through literally everything smaller than an aircraft carrieAHFUCK

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Suspicious Dish posted:

all the quicker to aim my explode-mobile full of vape batteries into a firetruck :unsmigghh:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao if you car gets more than 1fps — now watch me clip through literally everything smaller than an aircraft carrieAHFUCK

Read this in the voice of the kid slipping on ice in the GI Joe PSA video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LUYJnGu-M

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Apr 20, 2019

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Krankenstyle posted:

preordering a tesla big rig so i can do some over the road racing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1120053534173605888

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Commenting on the substance of the actual map for a second, I'd be willing to bet it's just underdiagnosed, or missed entirely, in a lot of the poorer countries, rather than actually being at a lower frequency

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mehall posted:

Commenting on the substance of the actual map for a second, I'd be willing to bet it's just underdiagnosed, or missed entirely, in a lot of the poorer countries, rather than actually being at a lower frequency

The map doesn’t even list actual frequencies. For all we know, the colors could be a better scale than the labels and be indicating that there is no significant difference.

(For anyone who is actually colorblind, you’re not missing anything - that’s what the map looks like to everyone.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

mehall posted:

That's be possible, but it doesn't require expensive or difficult experiments, so it's relatively easy to take statistically significant number of people and test them.

There really seems to be notable variations between populations (even though some groups in this data are too small).

source. Harrison, G.A. et al. (1977): Human Biology (via Wikipedia)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

That's be possible, but it doesn't require expensive or difficult experiments, so it's relatively easy to take statistically significant number of people and test them.

There really seems to be notable variations between populations (even though some groups in this data are too small).

source. Harrison, G.A. et al. (1977): Human Biology (via Wikipedia)

Who the hell was testing over 200k Japanese people :psyduck:. Their sample size outnumbers every other population combined.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Places with mandatory reporting?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Don Gato posted:

Who the hell was testing over 200k Japanese people :psyduck:. Their sample size outnumbers every other population combined.

Japan had blanket colourblindness testing in schools until 2003. So someone in 1977 asked a Japanese researcher "hey we need to get some numbers on colourblind rates" and the researcher just went "sure thing, what demographic do you need, let me look it up".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think this qualifies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mPazYL5Nks

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I lost it when the centrist came in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm seems like we need more manifestos!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I agree, that's clearly causation and if we had more communist manifestos it would do wonders for our economy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Communist Manifesto, more like Consumerist Money-Fest!!! :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bet you this tracks nicely with the ol' hockey stick carbon-content-of-the-atmosphere graph