Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know enough about their methods to say for sure, but since they started, I've always had this gut feeling that the distribution along the chart was presupposed to be true, and that they've made sure that their measurements lead to the conclusion they wanted. It seems awfully convenient that over time the media outlets have fit their curve closer and closer.

I think they heard about a bell curve distribution and decided they wanted their data to fit that without really understanding what it meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I was less angry about the earlier incarnations of this chart, but I'm a little mad every time it pops up on Facebook.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s “anti imperialist” with quotation marks. Look at a lot of online Xi and Assad supporters and you can see how “I’ve decided anyone who opposes the US is by definition anti imperialist” and fascists absolutely have some overlap. The tankie thread is full of people talking about that particular stuff, it’s really interesting when it isn’t all slapfighty.

Such as the guy who "decolonised" a town hall square on Wiyot land by… planting the "anti-imperialist" flag of China on it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ikanreed posted:

It's not an unsound idea, other than trying to make the stupid, idiot, moron, dumbshit, awful, stupid, horseshoe stick together by linking "anti-imperialist" and "fascist"

Basically they're just joining the ends with Authoritarians and almost making a version of the Political Compass .

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That wheel belongs right in the centre of the classic political alignment chart. The alignment chart itself is libertarian right.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

That's an oof

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The real pandemic was inside us the whole time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think I made this same post last time a similar graph was posted but it's not necessarily wrong, just that Most Prepared != Willing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:911: We could save you, but

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I think I made this same post last time a similar graph was posted but it's not necessarily wrong, just that Most Prepared != Willing

Yeah it's basically a list of "countries with the most money". The assumption being made is that the way to solve pandemics is just by throwing more resources at them, but oops it turns out all the stuff that's most effective against this one is relatively cheap and the expensive part like vaccines take time to develop, time which the virus can use to spread quite a lot if you aren't doing the cheap part!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I mean, that chart's not wrong. The US very much was prepared.

Prepared to gently caress everything up. :haw:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

OwlFancier posted:

I like the idea that you can conceivably be 100% factually accurate but of zero journalistic value because you're too right or left wing, lol.

"Vegetarian artist hounded to suicide by communist invaders".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zamujasa posted:

I mean, that chart's not wrong. The US very much was prepared.

Prepared to gently caress everything up. :haw:

Best airbag system on the planet and Trump turned it off when he started driving.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Outrail posted:

Best airbag system on the planet and Trump turned it off when he started driving.

Bullshit, he's incapable of turning himself off

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bullshit, he's incapable of turning himself off

Naw. Big difference between an airbag and a bawbag.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1320355325166391297

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

What are Higgs Bosons though?

(Also, nice post/username/av combo.)

e: On second thought tachyons are the most conservative particle since they go back in time. Therefore the chart is bullshit.

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Oct 26, 2020

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SerialKilldeer posted:

e: On second thought tachyons are the most conservative particle since they go back in time. Therefore the chart is bullshit.

Agreed, tachyons are definitely libertarian right. They don't follow the normal laws of physics, they go back in time, they're a complete fantasy.

Higgs Bosons are centrists, they don't really do anything except slow everything down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/1320925745607180288

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
https://twitter.com/paldhous/status/1320084630687477760

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I hate garbage like this. At least the cowards should include other tumultuous eras, like the late 60s or the first Red Scare. Surely the graph would show some action there too, right?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
X-axis: Years
Y-axis: Just some numbers I guess. Cap it at 80, for reasons.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Count Roland posted:

I hate garbage like this. At least the cowards should include other tumultuous eras, like the late 60s or the first Red Scare. Surely the graph would show some action there too, right?

The actual paper has better graphs that show how noisy the data is.

If anything it shows there aren't enough riots

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
There are only 55 anti government demonstrations per year in the entire US?!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ikanreed posted:

The actual paper has better graphs that show how noisy the data is.

If anything it shows there aren't enough riots

I thought the tweet about the Bad Things Quotent was a joke, I didn't realise there was even a real paper lol

If only they'd been around in the French Revolution, maybe they could have quantified their way out of it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honj Steak posted:

"Government please allow/ban <activity>" demonstrations probably don't count.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honj Steak posted:

I didn't read the paper but I imagine they probably have some sort of minimum size cutoff because there's anti-government demonstrations daily at pretty much every city hall in every major city, but it tends to be groups of like 5 people tops.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I didn't read the paper but I imagine they probably have some sort of minimum size cutoff because there's anti-government demonstrations daily at pretty much every city hall in every major city, but it tends to be groups of like 5 people tops.

There's been one of at least a dozen people at the town square of my 30k town every day for like 120 days. At 100 days a church came out to counter protest which was hosed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Negative amount of riots 1973-75

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trendlines. :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RodShaft posted:

There's been one of at least a dozen people at the town square of my 30k town every day for like 120 days. At 100 days a church came out to counter protest which was hosed.

We've had a continuous anti war demonstration by Christiansborg in Denmark since 2001

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredsvagten

Wonder if that would count as 1 in their graph?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Carthag Tuek posted:

We've had a continuous anti war demonstration by Christiansborg in Denmark since 2001

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredsvagten

Wonder if that would count as 1 in their graph?

There's been a disarmament protest permanently occupying ground outside the Faslane Scotland submarine base since 1982

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/randal_olson/status/1320739489208127488

There's nothing really wrong with the chart but the results definitely belong here.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Some people are always idiots, but the wide breadth of answers probably stems from the fact that the hole question isn't actually that easy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Anyone who thinks that a donut and a straw have a different number of holes is very confused.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ultrafilter posted:

Anyone who thinks that a donut and a straw have a different number of holes is very confused.

I've spent too much time hauling bales because it took until this post to realize they meant drinking straws and I was just so confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Well, are they? After all, how many holes are there on a human? Because topologically a human is homeomorphic to a donut.

If you take a straw, and cut a hole in the side of it, how many holes does it have now? Two? Three? Does the same apply to, say, a rubber band?

Holes are a surprisingly tricky concept to nail down.