Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

SerialKilldeer posted:

Dilate? I'm not sure how widening your pupils is better than sex, but you do you.
I don't... know if that's what's being dilated here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't... know if that's what's being dilated here.

Really? What does it sound like to you?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Memento posted:

Really? What does it sound like to you?
Dilators are frequently provided as a set of increasingly-girthy devices for a neo-vagina.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hooman posted:

rent free

Cringe

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Also I much rather be rent free than have sex

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Albino Squirrel posted:

Dilators are frequently provided as a set of increasingly-girthy devices for a neo-vagina.

My choice of noun that can also be a verb should have been a clue as to my joke, but then again I'm not that good at this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Albino Squirrel posted:

They come designed for almost any orifice, paleo vaginas, bums, urethrae, the sky's the limit and no household is complete without at least one good set of dilators!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the seven genders, bagsy deviant case

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
After an extensive review of online documentation, I'm going to have to disagree with the graph's implication that there are no bisexual females.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Gay people don't exist anymore, rip.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

packetmantis posted:

Gay people don't exist anymore, rip.

I can only speak for me but I simply don't have room for this survey bullshit on my gay agenda

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As someone who actually wrote his master's thesis on gay speech, that looks like a sample size of 7, but also like straight males (white implied) are conditioned to be more sure of themselves. I'd like to see the context.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
finally some vital work pathologizing reply guys

hopefully it makes it into the next edition of the dsm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
hosed up that they've included some deviant case over gay people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

I'd like to see the context.

It came up in an image search. I immediately recognised it as a prime example of an awful chart, but I did not read the page.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It came up in an image search. I immediately recognised it as a prime example of an awful chart, but I did not read the page.

Thanks! I just skimmed it and it is indeed a classic sample size of 10, with the "deviant case" being one straight male who for reasons shouldn't be pooled with the two other straight males. The basic methodology seems okay though, but the sample size especially is suspect, as is the selection of transcribed materials. Pretty typical stuff because of time constraints and a lack of good corpora of transcribed speech.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Platystemon posted:

So it really is a sample size of 7 and is just analysis of a transcript of a meeting the student attended.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

Jesus, "we got a non representative, non random sample size of ten from an extremely biased pool" is a hell of a way to start a methods section

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

BonHair posted:

Thanks! I just skimmed it and it is indeed a classic sample size of 10, with the "deviant case" being one straight male who for reasons shouldn't be pooled with the two other straight males. The basic methodology seems okay though, but the sample size especially is suspect, as is the selection of transcribed materials. Pretty typical stuff because of time constraints and a lack of good corpora of transcribed speech.

Does it begin with r and end with acism?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

packetmantis posted:

Rhotacism?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Could be, could also be "he sounds kinda gay" or even "he was actually talking about something difficult compared to the others". It's totally arbitrary in any case. If you must have so few participants, at least just do one bar per participant with demographics noted, and be sure to say exploratory a bunch when discussing your results.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's just a piece of university homework that they've posted on their blog, so I wouldn't be too harsh on them for including a crappy sample when they presumably got set an assignment to transcribe a conversation between lectures and do a short study on the resulting data:

quote:

This blog is intended as both a repository and a forum for the dissemination and discussion of student research projects completed as part of UCLA Linguistics classes “Language and Gender”, “Language and Identity” and “Sociolinguistics”, taught by Dr. Daria Bahtina.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The way they tried to distinguish Dutch from Frysk is dubious at best.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Uh Gaeilge has all three of those

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also english should be at the end of the europa>no arrow.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The worst thing about this chart is how close the background is to the beautiful golden quote marker, so I got a little bit of the high of being quoted only to be immediately crushed by the truth that I'm a bad poster.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Karia posted:

The worst thing about this chart is how close the background is to the beautiful golden quote marker, so I got a little bit of the high of being quoted only to be immediately crushed by the truth that I'm a bad poster.

I gotchu fam

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That chart reminds me of that genius keyboard layout detector that used to appear in Debian's installer. It would ask you to type characters from a list on screen and within two or three characters it would know the exact keyboard layout you were using.

Others just have you scroll through a huge list of layouts and languages.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Karia posted:

I offer you a pity quote.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Powered Descent posted:

I offer you a pity quote.

Aaaaaaahhhhh that's the stuff

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Karia posted:

Aaaaaaahhhhh that's the stuff

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1171966776873279488

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Spanish orthography used “ç” into the seventeenth century and the name of it comes from Spanish.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I didn't know there were so many Sami orthographies. That's pretty cool, but presumably follows the Finnish tradition of not making they orthography dumb as poo poo, coupled with a lot of distinct dialects/languages.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BonHair posted:

I didn't know there were so many Sami orthographies. That's pretty cool, but presumably follows the Finnish tradition of not making they orthography dumb as poo poo, coupled with a lot of distinct dialects/languages.

Small communities separated by great distances, and only davvisamegiella counts in the thousands. The others are in the hundreds or dozens.

I don't quite understand the difference between Finnish and Swedish. Ää? Both languages have the ä, our alphabets are identical. So the difference is a dipthong?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

:love:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nenonen posted:

Small communities separated by great distances, and only davvisamegiella counts in the thousands. The others are in the hundreds or dozens.

I don't quite understand the difference between Finnish and Swedish. Ää? Both languages have the ä, our alphabets are identical. So the difference is a dipthong?

Yeah it's like Danish has both ø and y but only Norwegian has øy

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah it's like Danish has both ø and y but only Norwegian has øy

Norwegian: Say "nuuuuuuuuuts"
American: nuuuuuuuts
Norwegian: Say "ø"
American: aouieoyuoao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

evobatman posted:

Norwegian: Say "nuuuuuuuuuts"
American: nuuuuuuuts
Norwegian: Say "ø"
American: aouieoyuoao

Wow, the American nailed it the first try. Good on them