Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BrigadierSensible posted:

I can guess that this represents population, but why clowns?

What if it's how far in meters people from certain countries run screaming when they see clowns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

I can guess that this represents population, but why clowns?

To find out who in the room has clourophoba for future prank purposes. Or their graph was made by their 4 year old.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Clown car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bobby Digital posted:

Ah, so that's why we measured in kilotons. That was very culturally sensitive of us.

They’re imperial tons. :ssh:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Platystemon posted:

Then Hirohito must have been doubly pleased.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Really? I googled to check and every source I found said it was in metric tons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bobby Digital posted:

At Los Alamos during the war, short tons were used for TNT equivalents.

Here is an example from Los Alamos Primer (PDF), the transcript of a lecture given there by Robert Serber in 1943 (page three of that PDF):

quote:

The energy release in TNT is 4·10¹⁰ erg∕gram or 3.6·10¹⁶ erg∕ton

The use of short tons is implicit. If these were metric tonnes, it would be precisely 4·10¹⁶ erg∕ton.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jul 15, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bobby Digital posted:

Metric uses "tonnes".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Let's not get into tonne arguments, here.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How many metric tons is a gross registry ton?

Build Your Own Boat
Sep 11, 2006

Drink this

Now you're like me.

FrozenVent posted:

How many metric tons is a gross registry ton?

Your mom is a gross ton.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I don't get it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Stop ruining the tonne of the thread.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Heavy poo poo, this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Apart from the annoying text formatting, I think those are pretty good.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Agreed. Would put them in a classroom

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Those look like they're from a class assignment, honestly. I'm not expecting a middle schooler to know average salaries but it does seem like it's from an assignment to illustrate the different averaging techniques.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Or as a demonstration for, like, a journalism ethics lesson to show how weaselly statistic terms can be used to misrepresent facts.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Not sure if it's just me but this seems to be a poor presentation of correct information:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Positioning aside why whales? Ask anyone how long a blue whale is and they'll answer "uh, pretty long? I guess". Which completely misses the point of a size analogy.

That's a big dick! It's as big as three Australian pygmy possums laid end to end!

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The real problem with that is they forgot 1/2 of an Airbus A380.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Outrail posted:

Positioning aside why whales? Ask anyone how long a blue whale is and they'll answer "uh, pretty long? I guess". Which completely misses the point of a size analogy.

That's a big dick! It's as big as three Australian pygmy possums laid end to end!

As opposed to air buses, because if you ask how long an air bus is they'll know to the nearest metre?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I think people have more of a concept how big a plane is than how big a whale is.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
No football fields. 2/10

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

Blue whales are widely known as not just big, but the biggest (known) animal to have ever lived. It's actually not the longest (some sauropods are longer if you count the tail) but that's still enough for folks to go "wow holy poo poo" even if it doesn't give them an exact idea of the size.

US supercarriers get used the same way. Incidentally, the Nimitz class carrier is 1,092 feet (332.8 m) long. That's longer than whatever the hell is being represented in that graphic. And we have 10 of them.

By the by, here's a life-size blue whale for you to scroll around on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Blue whales are widely known as not just big, but the biggest (known) animal to have ever lived. It's actually not the longest (some sauropods are longer if you count the tail) but that's still enough for folks to go "wow holy poo poo" even if it doesn't give them an exact idea of the size.

US supercarriers get used the same way. Incidentally, the Nimitz class carrier is 1,092 feet (332.8 m) long. That's longer than whatever the hell is being represented in that graphic. And we have 10 of them.

By the by, here's a life-size blue whale for you to scroll around on.

That's kind of my point. Noone (virtually) knows how big a whale is, just that it's big. Probably "as big as a school bus?" is as accurate as anyone is going to get. So why not just use school buses, every dipshit in North America has a good idea how big a bus is.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's so long that you could put 5 empire state buildings next to each other in that space and still have room left over!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

That's kind of my point. Noone (virtually) knows how big a whale is, just that it's big. Probably "as big as a school bus?" is as accurate as anyone is going to get. So why not just use school buses, every dipshit in North America has a good idea how big a bus is.

I guess I wasn't clear. The point isn't to convey exactly how big it is; the point is to give something that sounds impressive so that people can go "wow." A really big thing that is also the biggest of its type is better for this purpose than an ordinary thing people can relate to because, again, the point isn't being repeatable.

If this still doesn't make sense you're just going to have to accept that you're not the target audience for random factoid wow soundbytes. This isn't a put-down or anything. I've just mysteriously picked up the ability to think in "science person desperately trying to communicate with apathetic normies."

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I guess I wasn't clear. The point isn't to convey exactly how big it is; the point is to give something that sounds impressive so that people can go "wow." A really big thing that is also the biggest of its type is better for this purpose than an ordinary thing people can relate to because, again, the point isn't being repeatable.

If this still doesn't make sense you're just going to have to accept that you're not the target audience for random factoid wow soundbytes. This isn't a put-down or anything. I've just mysteriously picked up the ability to think in "science person desperately trying to communicate with apathetic normies."

Yeah I get it, I think we're arguing about the same thing.

This is why only the most backwards of countries use imperial units.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Outrail posted:

I'm not from north america, I have no idea how big your school buses are. I get the impression from movies that they are shorter than buses in the city I live in, but thats about it. Whereas blue whales are famour for pretty much one thing; Being loving Big. If the infographic is trying ot establish that whatever its about is really big, then "Its a lot of blue whales big" seems like a decent way of getting the message across. Plus, and I feel this has been overlooked, if you arent sure how long a blue whale is then the infographic has you covered; They are about 100 feet long on average.

Wait, holy poo poo, are your school buses seriously 30 meters long?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, are your school buses seriously 30 meters long?
No, they go up to 13 metres.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For some reason that graph just makes me want to get lovely and play Spheres of Chaos

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The exact moment De Niro stopped caring.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

a kitten posted:

Who needed a graph to tell them that?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Tiggum posted:

Who needed a graph to tell them that?

Robert De Niro

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

a kitten posted:

I would love to see an overlay of salary per film. I bet he's making a pile of loot for those poo poo movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I would love to see an overlay of salary per film. I bet he's making a pile of loot for those poo poo movies.

Uhm? No... this is the bad graph thread that information should be represented on another unlabeled x axis.