Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Windows 10” I don’t really mind.

Skipping version numbers is mostly harmless. Repeating them is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I have no idea what that... whatever-it-is represents.

Its funnel that doesn't fulfill the core function of a funnel.

Also, are those technology beans? Or skittles? Maybe technology cancer cells.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

It's actually Windows 2. It's binary.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This is from a biology textbook, right?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oxyclean posted:

Calling the third installment of something "one" is incredibly dumb regardless of what they didn't call it.

I've suspected all along that the thinking went something like this: "We made the Xbox 360 and people called it the 360. If we name our next console Xbox One they'll call it The One." Shortly thereafter it became permanently dubbed Xbone and the marketing weenies hopefully cried under their desks.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've suspected all along that the thinking went something like this: "We made the Xbox 360 and people called it the 360. If we name our next console Xbox One they'll call it The One." Shortly thereafter it became permanently dubbed Xbone and the marketing weenies hopefully cried under their desks.

They legitimately thought it would be and tried to push "The One" even harder when everyone was referring to it as the X-Bone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:cawg:

Irradiation posted:

They legitimately thought it would be and tried to push "The One" even harder when everyone was referring to it as the X-Bone.

:stonklol: Wait, they actually believed this?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the marketing push was for it to be "The One" since it's supposed to be like an all-on-one solution. If I remember right they spent a bunch of the E3 reveal talking about all the media features that basically noone cared about. That along with stuff about DRM and locking out used games or whatever it was, they pretty much handed that E3 to playstation. I also remember there being some brand awareness crap or something directed at media outlets or the such about the correct naming (basically to not shorten it to Xbone) kind of how like Adobe told everyone to stop saying "photoshopping."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

No more Xbox talk until we figure this out.

Is this from a business consultant's slide share?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

lifg posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_innovation

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

so, it's a buzzword in a graphic format?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Okay.

"Buy what you need and don't have. Sell what you have and don't need."

Thank you.

Y'all can return to Xbox chat now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This actually rules.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A sad state of affairs.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

curtosy

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The sad thing about the Xbone was they had a cool idea about you basically having an xbox steam library where you could sell your digital games back for store credit which would be dope. They just botched the pitch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ranbo das posted:

The sad thing about the Xbone was they had a cool idea about you basically having an xbox steam library where you could sell your digital games back for store credit which would be dope. They just botched the pitch.

Microsoft hosed up the execution of what seemed like a nice idea, you say? :wth:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ranbo das posted:

It’s just bits. It costs them nothing to leave then on your disk.

They would have raised the purchase price by the same amount as the re‐sell credit. It’s a zero‐sum game for consumers.

e: This continues to not be the obsolete tech thread. Y’all are depleting my strategic graphic reserve.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lifg posted:

It's to troll people who have that fear of holes. Tripophobia?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is the stupidest console thing I've read in a while. Which means it probably is true, Microsoft marketing is bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Calling the third installment of something "one" is incredibly dumb regardless of what they didn't call it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This makes no sense.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I would have gone with battlefield 1 personally.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

gently caress

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fathis Munk posted:

True dat.

I bet the marketing team were high-fiving themselves at the creativity of calling it 'BF1': restarting the timeline, matching the new console name, new generation, etc.

And at no point did anyone pipe up and say 'Umm. You know we already have a BF2 and the war after WWI was called WWII? What are we going to call the next edition of this game if it successful?'

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

spog posted:

True dat.

I bet the marketing team were high-fiving themselves at the creativity of calling it 'BF1': restarting the timeline, matching the new console name, new generation, etc.

And at no point did anyone pipe up and say 'Umm. You know we already have a BF2 and the war after WWI was called WWII? What are we going to call the next edition of this game if it successful?'

Battlefield: Next, obviously.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Battlefield: 2nd Edition?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Battlefield: WW2, to match the name of upcoming Call of Duty game.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Battlefield the rebattlening of WW2 fields

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Battlefield 1.1 for Workgroups

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SupSuper posted:

Battlefield 1.1 for Workgroups
I was thinking about Battlefield 1942.0, but you clearly are a better Microsoft marketer than I am.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was thinking about Battlefield 1942.0, but you clearly are a better Microsoft marketer than I am.

Remarkably, World War 2.0 is the name of a time-travel screenplay I'm working on.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Remarkably, World War 2.0 is the name of a time-travel screenplay I'm working on.

You're gonna get sued by john Birmingham just fyi https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_Time

The first book was published as world war 2.0 before he made a trilogy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
World War Web.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Field.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking