Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
My science is pretty soft after seeing that abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

System Metternich posted:

Personally I'm more interested in the difference between real anarchy and “true“ anarchy

One is just AnCaps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

??? Are you in the wrong thread?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
do the math

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
How do I set my calculator to "bonkers"?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's not as stupid as it looks, the top guy has to win with >50% or it goes to a runoff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

And people say the Democratic party is incompetent.

e: Of course, maybe rather than the DNC forcing any other potential candidates into line, no one actually wanted the job.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Apr 19, 2017

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So is the strategy having multiple Republican candidates to split the vote, and then in the run-off election hope people will vote for "anyone but a democrat"?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BrigadierSensible posted:

So is the strategy having multiple Republican candidates to split the vote, and then in the run-off election hope people will vote for "anyone but a democrat"?

The GOP almost certainly would have preferred for all but one of the Republican candidates to drop out so it's not really their first choice of strategy but it's what they have to work with.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
It's a weird election format but unless there is a huge majority (50% above the second place) it runs off the top two candidates, so having multiple republicans doesn't really change anything.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Carados posted:

It's a weird election format but unless there is a huge majority (50% above the second place) it runs off the top two candidates, so having multiple republicans doesn't really change anything.

It's not 50% above second place, it's just straight 50% + 1.

Also technically there are a few other Democrats and even more Republicans in the race but the remaining Democrats are looking to combine for no more than ~1500 votes.

Pakled has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Apr 19, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I think more Republican candidates helps the GOP in a race this close. Makes it easier to get a runoff.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Saw this when my friend was playing Persona 5 earlier.

Context if needed: poll asking if respondents believe in a thing.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Pakled posted:

It's not 50% above second place, it's just straight 50% + 1.

Also technically there are a few other Democrats and even more Republicans in the race but the remaining Democrats are looking to combine for no more than ~1500 votes.

Misunderstood, my fault.

If it's possible to win the first round, why even split the vote?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Carados posted:

Misunderstood, my fault.

If it's possible to win the first round, why even split the vote?

Having so many candidates wasn't a conscious decision on the GOP's part. It just worked out that none of the GOP candidates ever commanded a huge lead over the others and while Handel was the frontrunner, 2-3 had a shot all the way up to election day and the party can't force them to drop out and they'd all rather cling to their small chance of victory, so they stuck it through.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wierd that a Republican would poo poo all over the people around him just for a chance to come out on top.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's a "tight race" in the sense that if Ossoff gets 50%+1 of the vote right now, then he wins outright.

The "goal" was to not have go to into a run-off election.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

Wierd that a Republican politician would poo poo all over the people around him just for a chance to come out on top.

They all are the same. There's no real difference between the Repubs and the Dems in the long run. They do what's best for their wallets, which means what's best for whatever industry gives them the most money.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

flosofl posted:

They all are the same. There's no real difference between the Repubs and the Dems in the long run. They do what's best for their wallets, which means what's best for whatever industry gives them the most money.

Now explain why there wasn't a single Democrat who voted in favor of allowing ISPs to sell personal user browsing data to whoever they want.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

flosofl posted:

in a long enough run there's no real difference between your posting and you smashing your computer and never touching internet again

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Now explain why there wasn't a single Democrat who voted in favor of allowing ISPs to sell personal user browsing data to whoever they want.

Because it was a safe vote for them since it wouldn't affect the outcome. And since the Dems couldn't affect it one way or the other, there was probably minimal lobbying (re: money) involved for them

Instead they get the "we stood up to the Man" which plays well back home and helps for re-election.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Republicans in any way. While the Republicans earn my overall hatred, both parties are morally repugnant in my eyes. For the last 20 years or so my votes have all leaned heavily on the calculus of "who will cause the least amount of damage while in office"

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Apr 19, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Regalingualius posted:

Dems are the party that tries to legitimize the system by preventing the worst stuff from happening and relieving the most obvious issues, in the interest of keeping the broader interests of capitalist economy satisfied and insulated from social pressure.

GOP is the party that favors instant gratification and unrestrained greed because it is sure that no matter what the ruling class does, it will remain untouchable, and therefore won't need state regulation to protect it against the windfall of its own actions.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
If you're gonna cause a political derail, at least do it in a political alignment chart so it fits the thread.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this thread started because of D&D, friend. Politics is in its DNA.

also the DNC can eat me, Bernie would have won.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

this thread started because of D&D, friend. Politics is in its DNA.

also the DNC can eat me, Bernie would have won.

Lots of junk in DNA, doesn't mean it needs expression.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Actually the junk DNA concept is obsolete and furthermore
:goonsay:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flosofl posted:

How was this week's episode of South Park?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stuntman posted:

How was this week's episode of South Park?

That's really not South Park rhetoric. More likely a far lefty.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not quite a graph, but im the lady.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'm the premise of taking a nap leaning over in a rolling chair

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
E: nvm, taken, dammit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wow that's some fast downloading.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Download speeds so fast they even go back in time!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Regalingualius posted:

Download speeds so fast they even go back in time!

Once we hit 88 MB/s you're going to see some serious poo poo

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST
When this baby hits 88 MB per second, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Alternatively, 1.21 gigabytes Marty

Edit: That's what I get for checking the quote first to make sure :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It's considerate of you to spend some time returning the used bandwidth back to the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That's just gravitational lensing.

At 10:22 the bandwidth was so high that nothing could escape- even graphs.