Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ignimbrite posted:

You shouldn't feed your analysis programs Acid.

That is in fact almost literally what’s going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is the least surprising thing ever. They’re bleeding cash, and need revenue faster than they can grow their base. They should have done what charities often do: give a checkbox to cover the processing fees if the donor wants to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steinrokkan posted:

So in other words - overvaluation.

I certainly wouldn’t have bought in at that price. That’s not the stage I operate in, mind.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

From a pitch I took today. I like minimal slides, but.

(Cursor mine.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Designing a timeline that requires human explanation is how you create job security. "Look, we WANT to fire Brian, but he's the only one that knows what the green dots represent."

Yeah, but when you're asking someone to invest in your company, you don't want them to feel like they don't understand the business. Or time. Or lines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: that had nothing to do with graphs or charts

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Dec 19, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, and from any point of view other than that bred among bankers and financiers, this is utterly pathological.

What’s the pathology?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(e) is the best, especially if you haven’t encountered the combination of nouns and verbs before

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tunicate posted:

Flow charts are charts

I’m not seeing the flow chart, I have to admit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fries in licorice.

salt + licorice = yes please

ground fennel on fries, also yes please

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The fries basically do nothing to change that experience.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do you think is in the Word doc?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mikl posted:

I'm the ten-year datapoint interval in Ireland versus the sixty-year datapoint interval for Europe.

Does that mislead?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mikl posted:

It might, there's a lot more smoothing of the data with sixty-year intervals than with ten-year intervals; Europe's population would always be going up as a trend, but you might miss small variations that correlate more closely to Ireland. I don't think that's what's happening here, but my general point is that when you make a graph comparing two things you should use the same intervals for both of them.

So the graph would be better if they coarsened the Ireland data points to 60-year intervals?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It used to be a prank around the HR dept at my last company that if someone left their computer unlocked, a colleague would set their autoresponder to say they were on M-B training.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buying a house involves buying land: a ground-breaking study

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was it good for you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's still bullshit that packaging can legally be designed to look like more product than it is. Deodorant is especially bad about this.

You need to have air in chip bags so they don’t turn to powder in transit.

Also, I wear a sock in my boxers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zereth posted:

If your penis is turning into powder in transit without padding I think you have a medical problem.

You’re telling me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feels like they should have pro-rated 2001.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and while I know this is just a fuckup in this specific instance I would love to deliberately use that to deceive at some point

You think that was accidental?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You always must do physical 2FA

Like you turn a key in a lock?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flipperwaldt posted:

A likely story, only hindered by the fact that you can't delete posts on this forum.

I was going to say, I didn’t know posts could be deleted except by admins directly hitting the database in extremis.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tunicate posted:

Didn't they delete all the posts from the goon who set up Hillary's email server?

If so, was it other than by hitting the database? Are they still doing it and jamming up threads?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

Pretty sure the latter is a caching problem.

I agree 100%. More specifically an invalidation problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought it was just good Modi cosplay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How so? Why is it more stock-like than a photo of Trump or May or Merkel?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can’t manage to successfully search for Indian graphs with people, so not being able to find them for other countries isn’t proving much to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/ICannot_Enough/status/1043867064857964545

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think a microdose is going to get you there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

a horizontal stacked bar chart

I'm having trouble picturing that, I admit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

to highlight the differense between them (below is a random graph)

You’re a monster.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

cmon the intent of that original graph should be to show how quickly theyre replaced. this kind of graph will show however many days are in between the replacements...

They aren’t all replacements for each other!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not sure if it’s dithering or just filling with a partially transparent pattern. But that’s the highlight for me, for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Somfin posted:

My brain's refusing to process it. Is it comparing entirely different sets of objects in the bike counts?

The lengths of the bars are not what I’d have chosen for those values.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Peanut Butler posted:

think of the interminable seven hour city council meeting that produced this

Friend, it took weeks for that butterfly to emerge from its civic nonsense cocoon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NPS is mathematically terrible. Avoid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can’t find my preferred explanation of why the NPS math is bad right now, but this one looks decent: http://businessoverbroadway.com/2018/05/07/data-science-reveals-three-problems-with-the-nps-dogma/

E: this is the one I’ve found best explains the terrible numerics: https://blog.usejournal.com/net-promoter-score-considered-harmful-and-what-ux-professionals-can-do-about-it-fe7a132f4430

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Apr 6, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone who seriously defends a metric like NPS(r) that can’t distinguish between everyone rating things 0/10 and 6/10 is at best naive about the tool and more likely just captured because they’ve used it to make decisions in the past and don’t want to admit they were mistaken. It’s a sickness.

Just ask about satisfaction on a small scale (3 or 5 choices) and spend your effort identifying the experiences and behaviours that most correspond to different ratings. You get signals with equivalent predictive power about growth, except they’re less noisy and you can compare different numbers in a sane way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are lots of reasons to want to know if your users like your product other than justifying ill treatment of support staff.