Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yes. But it won't matter since you'd be using that same "cup" for the other ingredients as well. The proportions are correct which is the important thing. I worked in bakeries from 16 to 19. You're using your own set of cups, tbs, tsp, etc then even if you wind up with more or less is still going to be the same.

Then you hit the part of the recipe where it starts asking for tablespoons and you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carbon dioxide posted:

How does this poo poo work? Do you have to be a member of the democratic party to vote in the democrats prelims? What if you're not a member of either party? Do you not get the right to vote? What if you're a member of both parties? Or is that illegal?

It varies by state. The poo poo going on now is all specific to Iowa's caucus. Some states don't have a caucus at all, instead opting for a primary. For comparison, Virginia has no party registration, and anyone can vote in either party's primary.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Paladinus posted:

Yes. These are three countries with high numbers of English-speaking internet users.

There point is that the spikes are at international women's day. It's basically "what about WHITE history month."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

foobardog posted:

Unicode has been really good! The only people kind of screwed by it in a major way are Chinese based languages, where they were all forced into one region despite having incredibly different glyphs.

I thought the codepoints are the same, but they render into the appropriate glyph depending on phone locale. Which only screws bilingual people. And is insane.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Heh

The position of black metal on the vertical axis made my eye muscle twitch.

This, of all things, is what bothers me about that chart.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Freudian posted:

The ones on the right aren't games companies, they're gaming news sites.

Specifically, ones gamer gapers don't like.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Count Roland posted:

People love to hate on xkcd on these boards, and for once I'll agree. They've been extremely weak lately.

Though it was only some weeks ago we got this one:

I enjoyed this chart.

I also love the one that visualizes different amounts of money--like rappers' net worth, nations' GDP, etc--as big boxes.

Not gonna post it because this thread is for bad/funny, not just miscellaneous interesting.

Maybe someone should make a thread like that, preferably one less insufferable than the D&D picture thread.

Anyway, xkcd isn't high art, and I think Munroe knows it. I've never really encountered anybody who puts him on a pedestal or anything, but I see lots on this site who hate him. It's like how much easier it is to find people making fun of tumbler than the batshit transethnic otherkin nonsense they make fun of.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

Positioning aside why whales? Ask anyone how long a blue whale is and they'll answer "uh, pretty long? I guess". Which completely misses the point of a size analogy.

That's a big dick! It's as big as three Australian pygmy possums laid end to end!

Blue whales are widely known as not just big, but the biggest (known) animal to have ever lived. It's actually not the longest (some sauropods are longer if you count the tail) but that's still enough for folks to go "wow holy poo poo" even if it doesn't give them an exact idea of the size.

US supercarriers get used the same way. Incidentally, the Nimitz class carrier is 1,092 feet (332.8 m) long. That's longer than whatever the hell is being represented in that graphic. And we have 10 of them.

By the by, here's a life-size blue whale for you to scroll around on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

That's kind of my point. Noone (virtually) knows how big a whale is, just that it's big. Probably "as big as a school bus?" is as accurate as anyone is going to get. So why not just use school buses, every dipshit in North America has a good idea how big a bus is.

I guess I wasn't clear. The point isn't to convey exactly how big it is; the point is to give something that sounds impressive so that people can go "wow." A really big thing that is also the biggest of its type is better for this purpose than an ordinary thing people can relate to because, again, the point isn't being repeatable.

If this still doesn't make sense you're just going to have to accept that you're not the target audience for random factoid wow soundbytes. This isn't a put-down or anything. I've just mysteriously picked up the ability to think in "science person desperately trying to communicate with apathetic normies."

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dijon du jour posted:

I'm not sure why it's labeled a decrease in scientific advancement considering it apparently led to the invention of pie.

I know you're joking, but for anyone who didn't know PIE means Proto Indo European. It's the culture that spoke the language that's the common ancestor of Latin, German, Gaelic, and Sanskrit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_language

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What kind of apathetic sack of soggy noodles do you have to be to find having opinions odious??

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pokemon's type system has gotten inscrutable.

Edit: really though, that's actually a really handy chart for anyone who wants to carry concealed while traveling. Go down the left to find the state where you got your permit, then slide right to the column for the state you're headed to or passing through. Green means good to go, yellow means look up the particular state's law, red means where the hell did you get that banana.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Dec 15, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lord Hydronium posted:

So Vermont doesn't issue CCW permits, but honors them from every other state? :psyduck:

e: And South Dakota doesn't honor its own permits?

The chart is about reciprocity, ie permits valid because of a reciprocity statute, which doesn't include things that are valid because they were issued there. Other states have their own box empty too.

Edit: wait, but not all of them do. What the gently caress

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zedprime posted:

Management systems are cargo culting something that worked once somewhere else and the slavish adherence to jargon is typical of that. But if you're lucky, focus is put on the bits about applying the scientific method to work practices and project management. So to that point, a scrum attitude or whatever the gently caress they are calling it these days is going to be one of the more useful takeaways from your million dollar consulting bill.

Bolded the root of the problem. Agile can actually work really well when implemented reasonably, but a lot of folks earn a living selling a version that's designed to appeal to middle managers rather than to actually work. The cargo culting is deliberately induced by the ones getting the fat check.

Capitalism ruins everything, including capitalism.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Toys For Twats posted:

Here is a graph about thread quality related to election and trump talk.

I'm sorry conversation is not being suitably tailored to your tastes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baron Corbyn posted:

I just got "employed child soldiers" in my Hitler column?

He also mass executed Christians (just like he mass executed most groups at least occasionally), and Nazis sometimes used guillotines.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

government get out reeeeeeeee

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://youtu.be/7Jm_eUQSYAk

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

Why the hell would you think average home price going up is a good thing? Aside from loving over young and poor people.

Because people buy homes (rather than rent) as an investment. Prices going up means they have equity, and won't be underwater if they have to sell.

Literally nobody ever has bought a house, seen the price go down, then cheered because now young people can buy starter homes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

Sins? Tools? Cops? Fictional cities?

Notice it also ranked lowish for awareness. "Isn't that some news company? Boooooring."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oxyclean posted:

Calling the third installment of something "one" is incredibly dumb regardless of what they didn't call it.

I've suspected all along that the thinking went something like this: "We made the Xbox 360 and people called it the 360. If we name our next console Xbox One they'll call it The One." Shortly thereafter it became permanently dubbed Xbone and the marketing weenies hopefully cried under their desks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if this should go in the maps or in the graphs & charts thread so I'll post it in both.

What the gently caress is going on in South Carolina, Montana, and Mississippi?!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't keep track of every unfunny shitposter around.

Well why the gently caress not?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like how the lesbians are on the right side of the scale while the straight woman is on the left. It's like they went out of their way to make it wonky and nonsensical.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

One point on the back would mean it's that drone, three would be the B-2, but I can't tell in the lovely picture. The "enhanced" one is even worse.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jul 2, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Count Roland posted:

This is dumb and useless. Just look at the mass printed on the bag to see how much you're getting.

It's still bullshit that packaging can legally be designed to look like more product than it is. Deodorant is especially bad about this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My bank asks SSN alongside username to initiate login into their online services, but if you press enter fast enough you can skip the SSN form which appears shortly after you’ve entered your username.

:stonklol:

That's an impressive ziggurat of fuckups.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Roblo posted:

Awesome thanks. Some really interesting stuff in there. Crazy how long there was without...a lot happening. Some of the really early stuff is super interesting, really obvious where the whole 'cradle of human civilization" thing comes from. Loads going on at the end of the med for a looooong time.

I like how you can basically blink and suddenly loving MONGOLIANS EVERYWHERE.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Regy Rusty posted:

I clicked on the colossally abundant link and I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wikipedia article worse at explaining something to a layperson.

A huge portion of the math articles are like that because they're written by and for grad students, who have zero interest in making them accessible but extreme interest in making them rigorous and succinct.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know American cheese tastes like plastic right?

Where does it say it's American cheese and not just cheese in America?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tsaedje posted:

Good marketing because when they made the gaps small again everybody was happy instead of complaining about the whole thing being 10% smaller

So basically it's the candy equivalent of that four square thing car salesman use to get you fixated on the monthly payment while ignoring the total cost of the loan.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it generally progresses faster than inflation as there are people crunching numbers to see what kinds of reductions won't get noticed. The one that really comes to mind is McCormick pepper; the tin is always the same size but the amount of pepper you get keeps inching downwards.

Or deodorant having less and less actual product, with the change hidden by the label.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Guess it's time to repost this classic:

If I recall correctly, it was only shown briefly to make the point that the situation in the country is real loving complicated. But somebody had to make it first, and that somebody is a monster.

Edit: lol I never noticed the "version 3"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

IYKK posted:

The actual monarch, king Toadstool:

In Mario RPG the king is a toadstool like Toad. I remember thinking at the time "huh, I guess the princess was adopted."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Don Gato posted:

Miyamoto has made games based on his hobbies before, Pikmin came about after he got into gardening, Nintendogs was made after he got a puppy and Wii Fit was made after he decided to be more active. Someone send him tons of recordings of various legislative branches meeting.

Orrrrr send him videos of hardcore cock n ball torture.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently a fair number have also never heard of "someone entirely new". Like, they just can't conceive of any human being beyond those that were presented to them on that list.

I feel like that's the number of people who pick wiseass answers like
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[X] All of the above

Edit: oh hay, another page

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, at least they announced it.

My brief experience with Games For Windows Live featured the discovery that the website lets you put in basically whatever you want when creating an account, but the in-game client silently truncates the password you enter, with no visual indication that this has happened.

So did Microsoft accounts. It's amazingly dumb.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aramoro posted:

British food isn't bland, it's just not covered in sugar and hot sauce. The reason for the perception is that the UK government sold rationing to people during the war by creating cookbooks promoting a different diet. Which is why we have brown bread interestingly. The campaign was so successful it changed the diet of people in the country radically for generations.

"It's not bland, it's just the result of wartine rationing of all the interesting ingredients."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

.... That was why you ended up with Ratte being pushed. It didn't matter that the thing was completely insane idea a couple of really important people decided it was a good idea so the idea got worked on. Didn't matter that a 1,000 ton tank was one of the worst ideas possible for at least a dozen reasons.

That's certainly the case for the Maus, but I've seen claims the Ratte was a counter intel op with just enough design work to get spies to waste their time on it.