Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fathis Munk posted:

More seriously, I love dumb units and the astronomical unit is pretty great in its arbitrariness.
Do you now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sometimes prostitutes have training.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why does printer ink cost so drat much?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Living things are made out of certain types of cells sandwiched between other types of cells therefore all things that are food to people are sandwiches.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

ROME DID NOT HAVE SUBWAYS, FUCKWIT

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca_Maxima

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It was a reference to the user's redtext, you dishrags

I don't have avs on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still say that if "Chinese" is one language, then so are all the Romance languages.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

zedprime posted:

Somehow still better than the food pyramid.

So much bread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dragonwagon posted:

I wonder if theres a great circle you can go around and only cross one country, or even none at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/60th_parallel_south

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh you said great circle I thought you meant pretty good circle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's the easiest way to race around the world. Before people came up with some rules to defeat this, here's how you did a circumnavigation:

1. Sail south
2. Go around Antarctica, as close as you can. Try not to die!
3. Sail home

You're now a round the world traveler!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you even gently caress up a business where you're just skimming money off other people's work. They're failing capitalism.

Seriously though this is baffling.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

KillHour posted:

Global warming is gonna gently caress that place up fast.

They're aware.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Man time cube is so good

I've been reading it since the early 2000's, but these days it just sounds like Trump tweets.

"You are EDUCATED STUPID! Why not done??"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

I went into a pizza place that had three tea dispensers available, one labeled "Unsweet," one labeled "Sweet" and another labeled "Southern Sweet." And I appreciate that.

Southern sweet tea is literally just a simple syrup.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In a properly fought war second lieutenants have the lowest life expectancy of anybody.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It's actually kind of crazy looking at the population of Europe at that low sampling interval; the two most violent conflicts in European history barely register.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Outrail posted:

Label your everything please.

Population of Cambodia over 40 years, plotted so that one of the most vicious and evil genocides of the 20th century just looks like a silly little nothing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm only friends with Shamhats and Humbabas, Utnapishtims are boring as gently caress.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If they were ethical you wouldn't see $14 16 ounce cans at concerts.

I'm not paying drat near a dollar an ounce for bud light you fuckers.

The construction of sports venues is always paid for by tax dollars as well. So you pay for it even if you don't go and get gouged!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Word for World is United States.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Remain for some, miniature England flags for others.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

South Carolina tried to be a country multiple times.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tree Goat posted:

dedede is a king, dumbass

Watch out for his drool, too!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The original idea was that we'd add a new star AND a new stripe to the flag every time there was a new state. This lasted up till the 15 star, 15 stripe flag:

This was the star spangled banner that flew over Fort McHenry and inspired the words that would later become our national anthem. In 1818 we decided that adding new stripes was loving stupid and went back to 13. I'm sure there's a very slightly different alternate reality out there where everything is the same except the US has a ridiculous looking flag with 50 stars and 50 stripes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Memento posted:

Is this :thejoke:? I can't tell any more.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm okay with any new division of the continents as long as Europe gets taken off the list. I am okay with "European subcontinent".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Edit: whoops this image is too small and I don't know why

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

A lot of it also formalised during the rationing in WW2, with very little access to spices beyond our handful of native herbs. There's this a heavy dependence on gravy for flavour. Like, nobody ever eats plain Yorkshire puddings.

Yorkshire pudding liberally doused with a Louisiana style hot sauce would probably be delicious.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Comedies aren't doing well at the box office this decade:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Where was the 2010's equivalent of the Shrek or Austin Powers franchise? And why wasn't there one?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who the gently caress puts Denver in the Midwest?

Have you ever been in the countryside east of Denver?? It's basically West Kansas.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I have to ask you about the Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together.

I don't actually have a problem with nineties sitcoms where they do that sort of thing, I'm just curious

I have no idea, the thing was bought for me and will probably remain a mystery forever. :confused:

I think the Midwestern line runs through Ohio. I think Toledo is the Midwest and not Cleveland.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This graph is actually pretty funny to look at because one of the things that helped the Nazi party rise to power in the early years is how they managed to steady the economy after all the post-WW1 instability, and then pissed it all away in WW2 and have the country end up right back where it was before they gained power. It's almost like fascism is unsustainable and can only show "growth" by destructive, short term strategies.

I'm sorry but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. The bad economy the Nazis rescued Germany from was not due to post-WWI hyperinflation but the Great Depression. The Weimar Republic fixed Germany's problems and everything was sort of fine and the Nazis lost elections for years and years and years. They only roared into power because of the Great Depression.

This is important because it says that the reason that democracy failed in Germany was not because of some German only situation. It was part of the world cataclysm. Every other country in the world had some sort of wackjobs waiting in the wings who tried to seize power during the Depression. In the USA we had Father Coughlin, Huey Long, and the Business Plot, all along the spectrum. All failed and we came through it in no small part due to FDR.

Do you see what I'm trying to say? With the idea of WWI --> Versailles --> Nazis you're talking about a specifically German problem. With the idea of Great Depression --> desperation --> Nazis you're talking about an international problem that could easily have hosed up the USA. In the 30's we had issues just as bad as Germany did.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I thought it was "hooses".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Plastik posted:

Another part of why it's a no-no to identify as American is because white people killed the vast majority of people with any actual claim to that title over the course of the last 600 years, but there are enough still around to point it out that it's not at all wise to say it.

If you're a white person with forbears who were here before the Revolution and you genuinely, non-maliciously don't know where all your people of the last few hundred years came from, what's an acceptable thing to call your nationality if not "American"? Do you want people just to guess based on their last name?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Kennel posted:

Classic:

It still fills me with chills.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I work with the public, and I've heard a bunch of people say that they thought the virus is probably worse than is being reported in the media. From coworkers also. Never underestimate people's distrust of the media and willingness to accept conspiracy theories.

I'm saying you could talk all you want with percentages and stats about the regular ol flu and how the virus isn't so bad and you wouldn't shift a lot of people's minds at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

After that, things get...complicated

Halitosis may follow.