Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

How could you post that without posting the graph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SupSuper posted:

Why wouldn't everyone vote for the imaginary candidate of their dreams?

Historical trends of Democrat candidates?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Thought that was the wizard school map for a second:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1234229657702207490?s=19

What continent is the green area north of the MIDDLE EAST supposed to be?

I'm the 41% of the worlds population served by one unnamed school (#10), while hogwarts serves <1%.

Actually that means they must have like 40x the students of Howarts so approx 280*41 = ~11,500 students for a school JK didn't bother to name.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

The idea that Disney only has six problematic songs makes me suspect some other things about the author, too.

Edit: I encourage him throwing Song of the South down the memory hole, but he didn't see anything wrong with "Everybody Wants to be a Cat"?

I watched the first minute and twenty five of this thinking "am I missing something?" and then... :stonk:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MrUnderbridge posted:

For the ultimate version of this, watch A Very Secret Service on Netflix (French: Au service de la France). The scene where the Quebecois try to get the French to help with their independence movement is hilarious, even with subtitles. One weird thing is that even in French, the Quebecois have a really obvious accent. And I don't speak more than enough French to get a hot chocolate half the time. (The other time I ended up with a ham sandwich, sooo....)

Most Americans don't really realize that other languages have different accents, too.

I learned Indonesian from a Chinese woman so got really weird looks when I used speak it because I had a thick Chinese accent in Bahasa Indonesia despite being a white Australian.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

I held off on my marshmallow on the assumption I would get two marshmallows later and now I don't have anything and the researcher has a house made of marshmallows. The system works.

I took my single marshmallow and wisely loaned out 7 marshmallows to other people profiting off each of those loans. Then when the marshmallow market crashed because all the kids I loaned to ate their marshmallows (irrationally!) I paid myself 200 marshmallows and handed of all my marshmallow debt to the government.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

This is a good post, but I want to point out one factual error. Kahneman and Tversky weren't economists. They were a pair of psychologists researching cognitive biases. Despite never formally studying economics, Kahneman was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics for this research. (Tversky had died by then. :()

I read "The undoing project", which covered the lives of Kahneman and Tversky and their impact on economics and really enjoyed it.

I should also check out Misbehaving.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I also like how Jakarta is extremely not there.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's from the first edition, published 2003. Jakarta's rapid transit system is relatively new and might not have had much in the way of maps at that point.

Tenebrais posted:

It's on the bottom-right?

I mean geographically, that is really really not where Jakarta is.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All I actually want is suborbital half hour flight to anywhere that is low cost enough for the average human

I have bad news for you about peak energy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

I fixated on the impossible 0 pH (for what is supposed to be a logarithmic scale) and completely missed the horrendous transposition of labels

1 mol/L HCl has a pH of 0.

pH is concentration of hydrogen ions in solution with it being defined as H+ concentration (mol/l) = 10^-pH

So if you have a pH of 0, your concentration of hydrogen ions in solution is 1 mol/L.

pH can also go negative and is negative for Hydrochloric acid at concentrations higher that 1mol/L.

:eng101:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Freemasonry being a "low brow" thing is pretty interesting to me too.

Things I do: High brow and sophisticated.
Things you do: Dumb poo poo for babbies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Exactly! You'd need at least a breeding pair.

Poor inbred Loch Ness monsters.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Similarly, lots of people don't seem aware that while in the US, CNN is reasonably leftist, CNN World / CNN Europe or whatever it's called tends to be much more neutral.

For charts like that you really need to add from what country you accessed some media, it may change things around quite a bit.

Yeah, the Guardian Au and the Guardian UK are very different animals.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

GW at least sells you an actual thing, not the printout of a jpeg.

*printout not included

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

imagine having a language where one word could mean more than one thing!

Witch won?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Is this the name of a visual novel or JRPG?

Yes, Anime coming in 2021.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

rent free

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

That depends on whether or not our universe has a particular integer overflow bug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Gandhi

It does, look up Ghandi's quotes on nukes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

The tail end of that is great, you just have all these major, historical international cities, and also Charlotte.

Yeah what the gently caress Charlotte?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Participation trophies are bad but actually it's not about winning it's about number of medals.

It's not a participation trophy if I'm the one earning it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I take issue at least with the notion that a decentralized news wire thing can be said to have the same sort of political bias as like, I dunno, the BBC, or the Guardian or something.

Sure all information provision existing in political reality is necessarily therefore political, but from a charting standpoint it seems weird to put it next to the BBC which functions very differently. Even if you argue both are centrist I find it hard to imagine that they are a similar kind of centrist?

It absolutely can have bias, even in the case of what it chooses to omit or include in stories. Take AP's reporting on the death of Rumsfeld

AP News posted:

For all Rumsfeld’s achievements, it was the setbacks in Iraq in the twilight of his career that will likely etch the most vivid features of his legacy.

Nine months into his second tour as defense secretary, on Sept. 11, 2001, suicide hijackers attacked the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon, thrusting the nation into wars for which the military was ill-prepared. Rumsfeld oversaw the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan and toppling of the Taliban regime. Frequently presiding at televised briefings on the war, Rumsfeld became something of a TV star, applauded for his blunt talk and uncompromising style.

By 2002 the Bush administration’s attention shifted to Iraq, which played no role in the Sept. 11 attacks. The war effort in Afghanistan took a back seat to Iraq, opening the way for the Taliban to make a comeback and prevent the U.S. from sealing the success of its initial invasion.

The framing of this "factual" news piece shows the leaning, because it paints the Afghanistan war as something the America was forced into, and posits that the Taliban came back because of the US inattention. All of this displays the views of the writer and serves to shape the views of the reader.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I also like that whether or not you get dementia and whether or not you have depression, anxiety, other mental problems is classed as "individual behaviour" lmao.

*me, mainlining speedball of anxiety and dementia*: Speak for yourself.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

it really puts into perspective how much of a ripoff the 3090 is, too, being like four times the cost of a 3060 but only 1% more number.

You know they say that all graphics are created equal, but you look at Nvidia and you look at AMD and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another card, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Nvidia's a graphics freak and it's not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat Nvidia. Then you add Ray Tracing to the mix, AMD chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Cyberpunk, AMD got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but Nvidia, Nvidia got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Ray Tracing KNOWS it can't beat Nvidia and it's not even gonna try!
So AMD, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus Nvidia 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Cyberpunk. But then you take Nvidia 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, Nvidia got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Cyberpunk. See AMD, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Cyberpunk.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Feel like there's cheaper ways to buy a grade these days than trying to give a professor enough alcohol that they actually get drunk.

Ugly cry in their office is probably the best bet.

EDIT: I wonder if that graph runs the other way, if I can make myself smarter by getting gross-er.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I'm the second, lower, Africa.

Africa 2: Sweaty Boogaloo

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

And of course there's the Cox-Zucker Machine, invented by a couple mathematicians who met in grad school, realized the opportunity they had, and spent most of a decade trying to codiscover something that would force people to use the name.

My friends at university for their project named their group with their last names BoltonDixonHore much to the amusement of everyone involved.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

I like that "Toxic" exclusively covers Beryllium and the secret unspoken element next to Beryllium.

The 11 secret alkanines and metalloids.

hooman has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jan 27, 2022

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

I'm afraid their weird little feet will scamper over my own as they flee

I'm afraid their weird little feet will scamper over my own as I flee

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest the difficulty in getting a dog to take a bath is that you like the dog and you can't just hit the RKO on its rear end to make it take a bath, but there are no rules in wolf fights.

Now if the wolf has the element of surprise, that's a different matter, but if it's hell in a cell I think I have a chance, I could almost certainly defeat a wolf in a ladder match.

You know they say all animals are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Wolf and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another animal you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm an evolutionary freak, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add Rat to the mix? You-the chances of winning drasticly go down. See, the 3-Way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I! I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Rat KNOOOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try. So, Wolf, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice! Señor Wolf? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

I could probably take you

Only because they're consumed with ennui. Is it a win if your enemy just lays down and dies of their own accord?

EDIT: If Panda's fail to breed and go extinct, does that count as a win or a loss?

hooman has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Feb 10, 2022

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

See, a wolf is only 4/5th as dangerous as a parrot, which is twice as dangerous as a pitbull so if you are afraid of pitbulls you should be twice as afraid of parrots.

A parrot will be much more casual about severing your finger than a wolf would be.

Found an evidently sick parrot sitting in a tree at the front of my parents house. Got on some old leather tough as anything riggers gloves to pick it up and take it to the local animal hospital. It casually leaned down and punched straight through the leather gloves missing my finger by about half a centimeter. With how it went through those gloves it would have had no issue snipping off any digit that strayed into bite range.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

"This is a large pizza of 30 cm.
The small one is supposed to have 26 cm
I measured the widest diameter…"

german_flag_with_crying_bundesgeier.gif

The most german review imaginable.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

jjack229 posted:

Also

Muslim - 27%
Jewish - 30%
Atheist - 33%
Christian - 58%

Total - 148%

Religions Georg is an outlier and should not be counted.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

A perfect final post for that page.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
A friend of mine ran afoul with her bank's profanity filter and wouldn't let her transfer money to another friend of mine whose last name is "Hore".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

Economics is a cautionary tale of what happens when people think hard science is inherently superior to soft science. If a social scientist made the argument that "human society will never, ever run out of resources, because we will always invent a way to be more efficient with resource consumption", it'd be recognised as total speculation, but an economist slaps an arbitrary number on the same idea and suddenly it's quantifiable and rigorous enough to underpin decades of mainstream economic theory.

It's just social sciences for people who find it easier to read equations than sentences.

The only error there is thinking economics is science.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"average person earns 3 dollars a year" factoid actualy just statistical error. average person earns 0 dollars per year. Billionaire Georg, who lives in cave & steals over 10,000,000 each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

Perfect.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Unperson_47 posted:

LARPing looks like a lot of fun. :unsmith:

A pity that all the LARPers ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Phosphine posted:

Them being dead now does not invalidate them having survived the Titanic

They went on the Titanic, they are now dead, therefore, irrespective of when, they did not survive going on the Titanic.