Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

viewtyjoe posted:

This one actually kind of makes sense, except for the part where I have no loving clue what "SENTRY" is. The circles are characteristics of the gaming platform (volume, customization, and performance) and three platforms exist at each of the two intersections, not that I'd agree with them. So wild guess is SENTRY is some sort of small form factor PC thing that's going to be the new barebones wunderkind or whatever.

It's a small form factor tower console, of course. :rolleyes:

It's a not-yet-launched kickstarterindiegogo for a SFF gaming PC case that is "console-sized" but neither a tower nor a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

canis minor posted:

Please please please let the biggest part be "other packers"

It looks like the legend goes LTR descending, so yes. "Other Packers" is the biggest, then UPX, Other Installers, and PE Compact in that order.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CommonShore posted:

:confused: so a parsec... is the distance at which one AU of tangential displacement creates 1 degree of observable progression?

One second, hence the name, Parallax ARc SECond.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Furia posted:

I use a password manager and it annoys me when a website’s all like “oh no your password’s too long plz make it 15 characters at most”

Whenever a site does this (or "your password has punctuation in it, please stop") I assume that they're storing the password in cleartext (and most of the time I'm proven right as soon as I ask for a password reset).

Probably in an unauthenticated MySQL database connected directly to the internet, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Remember when microsoft announced that they were truncating everyone's skype password to 16 chatactrrs?

Hey, at least they announced it.

My brief experience with Games For Windows Live featured the discovery that the website lets you put in basically whatever you want when creating an account, but the in-game client silently truncates the password you enter, with no visual indication that this has happened.

Roblo posted:

Out of interest. How do you know that they're storing it in cleartext after a reset? Sounds like something that would be handy to know.

Usually it's because I click "forgot password" and they email me my old password.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What kind of incredibly hosed-up dataset generated that chart :catstare:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Parsing the FAA’s wind forecasts:

[screams in METAR]

I've started training for my pilot's license and part of that is learning to read METAR and it is the worst

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I'm gonna squish any spider I find, I'd rather deal with the bugs they eat :colbert:

The mosquito and housefly defender has logged on, I see.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Tearing down its web is a good way to let a spider know in terms it can understand that it’s not a good idea to build a web there

Although some of them just do not get the hint, c.f. the extremely ambitious orb weaver that spent three weeks trying to spin a web across my front door

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does anyone remember an ancient MSPaint thread that started with rocketed powered hobo, moved on to hobo powered rocketed, and quickly degenerated into rocket powered robo hobo oboe on hobo powered rocket skates.

Because it still haunts me

I'm laughing just at that description so I sure hope it got goldmined

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

Allegedly, "Keeps it from sticking together".

But cooking it in enough water takes care of that.

The concern isn't it sticking together in the pot, it's that if you finish cooking the pasta significantly before the sauce and leave it sitting in the colander for several minutes while the sauce finishes, it'll weld together. Rinsing it mitigates this, but at a terrible price.

The correct mitigation is to time your cooking so that, if you're not confident in being able to finish them at the same time, the sauce finishes first; then you can keep it warm on the stovetop while you cook the pasta.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I feel like it'd be easier to do something like have jumper pins inside the battery compartment or something.

This is what DIP switches are for, isn't it? Stick a bunch of those in the battery compartment, old-school remote control style.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Phosphine posted:

I have always been aware that, obviously, some people must be buying new cars and therefore can pick colours, but everyone I have ever known have based their colour choice on "it is the colour the car had" because used cars don't come multiple choice.

Even when I was looking at new cars (ca. 2014-2015), my experience was that my choices were white, black, grey, or "we have one in blue at the dealership two hours away from here".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Outrail posted:

Its actually more important than that. A terrorist planted a bomb on our favorite dipshit and if twitter hits more than 5% bots per hour Elon Musk will literally explode.

brb, figuring out how many twitter bots I can host before my server runs out of ram

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

zedprime posted:

I am pretty sure there is at least one that is flat earth, every border is a wall, just because that's the technically easier to program approach.

I mean, the reason torus is so popular is that it's also trivial to program; if anything it's even easier:
code:
-- flat world
x = max(0, min(x + dx, MAP_WIDTH-1))
y = max(0, min(y + dy, MAP_HEIGHT-1))
-- toroidal world
x = (x + dx) % MAP_WIDTH
y = (y + dy) % MAP_HEIGHT
I've played at least one that did have spherelike geometry, where flying off the top of the map placed you back at the top, facing south, at the opposite longitude, but I forget what it was. Which is still pretty easy to program but not quite as easy, and looking at this I'm not 100% confident I don't have some subtle off-by-one coordinate error in it somewhere that speedrunners can exploit or something:
code:
x = (x + dx) % MAP_WIDTH
y = y + dy
if y < 0 or y >= MAP_HEIGHT then
  x = (x + MAP_WIDTH/2) % MAP_WIDTH
  y = (MAP_HEIGHT - y) % MAP_HEIGHT
  dy *= -1
end

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The graph was perpetrated by the Institute of Transportation Engineers, but is probably best experienced via this paper, which is critiquing the absolutely garbage statistics used to justify building every-larger parking lots.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, so it's plotting mass in stellar masses, grams, and GeV on Y, and radius in cm and megaparsecs on X, and then it looks like there's a time log-scale (time since the big bang?) inside the plot itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s a popular gif of animated crabs dancing that people use for events like a historic war criminal dying.

The gifs are from the music video for Noisestorm's track "Crab Rave":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDU_Txk06tM