Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Homegrown entry: I tried to plot a phylogeny with a poor choice of font size and opened a door to another dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

This got me curious about the world’s highest low point.

That would be when I smoked so much weed I barfed cheese fries all over the back of my friend's car and was too high to even realize I should apologize and clean it up, and then his band wrote a song called "Smells Like Trig's Vomit".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

These may have been posted before (it was uploaded in October) but lol at these "crime statistics"

Boy that is a loving Rorschach test of a data set at best even if you ignore the problem with the y axis.

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Jan 14, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like that chart is being posted somewhere on reddit right now as evidence that women ruin everything by talking.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not the most intuitive presentation ever, but it does at least communicate what it's trying to.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

The dogs in Paris that I had were made with a baguette and a white cheese sauce, tasted like gruyere. The Mrs. And I now have them on occasional rotation in the menu list.

Tell me more about how you and your wife love creamy wieners.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, imagine fries glazed in a thick coat of salmiakki.

I'm trying to make this sound in my head like something I wouldn't eat but I'm not succeeding.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

The fries basically do nothing to change that experience.

Yeah it's basically "salmiakki but with carbs and a bit more salt" and I just can't make that sound bad in my head. Weird, but not bad. I have had a few beers though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Okay now I just want to slap someone.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

literally at the top of this page dudes :eng99:

steinrokkan has no sense of object permanence yet, cut some slack

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love it when this conversation comes up because it’s exactly as uninteresting to most people as talking about which type of Pokémon you most identify with except that I have this subconscious awareness that I’m either a grass type or a fire type and I can never remember which it is or why it’s important.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did 23andMe while I was working on my family genealogy and I found out I had about 1.5% African ancestry the same week I (1) saw Twelve Years a Slave and (2) learned that my family used to own slaves. Not that it's a slam dunk of any sort, but that percentage is about what you'd expect if you had one African ancestor in the 1830s-ish. That gave me some feelings, but "feeling like I suddenly get to identify as part of the African-American community" was not among them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

If the percentage of homeless people in Germany and the US is roughly equal, then why are they so much more visible in the latter?

Not sure where you've been in Germany, but there are very visible homeless people all over here in Frankfurt.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

They were signed seperately. Due to the rivalry between North and South Dakota, each wanted to be first, so Harrison had the papers shuffled up, then signed them blindfolded so he wouldn't know which state he was admitting first.

People list North Dakota first because its alphabetically first, but the true order remains a mystery to this day.

They live in a state of quantum superposition known as Snort Dakota.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Who the gently caress was talking about any of this

Being from california, driving in New England was absolutely jarring. You blink and you go through four states.

Yeah I grew up in Oklahoma and live in Europe now and it's like "holy poo poo I can drive a few hours in any direction and the language changes".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

The comments of this tweet indicate the OP is well aware of how fallacious this conclusion is and that they were making a point about standardized testing.

Yeah I know Matt well and he absolutely was taking the piss with that. Dude's a straight-up genius.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, on a similar note I had a junior colleague tell me that his advisor had told him to sort his predictor and response variables independently before running a regression, because it made the R squared values so much higher. It took me a surprisingly long time to convince them of just how dumb that was, but in the end the thing that did it was showing them that you could get really tight correlations between two strings of completely random numbers that way.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

Congratulations to the creator of one of the great awful graphs of recent history!

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/1134551214211969025

Here's an attempt to fit data to his famous Laffer Curve:

I seriously think that's hand drawn and not even fitted via any actual criterion. If this was any sort of actual regression, there's no way it would be hitting the maximum like that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

It's worse than that. That's an attempt to "fit" the curve to data. The original curve was based on these three points:

• At 0% tax, you collect no money.
  • At 100% tax, you also collect no money, because everyone would evade taxes out of necessity.
  • At some point in between, there must be a maximum amount of money collected.

From this he draws a curve literally (actually literally) on a bar napkin and earns himself a spot on Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board.

You're talking about the origins of the Laffer Curve, I'm talking about that specific attempt to actually "estimate" it from data.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I grew up mostly in OKC and the state as a whole has a sort of ongoing identity crisis; it's not really the south, or the midwest, or even the southwest, while culturally combining the worst aspects of all three.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like those math conferences often get booked by people who aren't experts on the subject matter and so they don't really understand anything that's being discussed and so it's really easy to end up with people presenting absolute nonsense so long as they seem confident enough.

There are some conferences that exercise very rigid quality control over the talks and posters presented at them, and some that basically let just anyone who wants to present. The big American conference for evolutionary biologists hardly turns anyone away, although they do push some talks to posters if things get too crowded. As a result, every once in a while we get an absolute loving nut case. My impression is that they are generally seen to be so entertaining that nobody's even particularly mad about them getting in. What I'm saying is y'all need to submit some talks to Evolution next year.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Do you have any good stories? How often do you get cryptozoology people? Have you ever had one of the 'birds aren't dinosaurs' guys get into a fight with a 'birds are dinosaurs' guy

Not so much of that, we tend to get more of the "I've got an alternative theory of evolution based on ideas that were disproven fifty years ago in a book I haven't bothered to read" sort of thing. Often it's either a religious person who is trying to reconcile evolution with their idea of intelligent design or someone from another field (almost always physics, engineering, or computer science) who thinks they've solved some massive issue with the field based on a superficial connection between some aspect of their field and ours. People are usually pretty polite about tearing their ideas up, but they do tear them up.

Don't get me wrong; the study of evolution has been pushed forward a lot by people coming over from other fields and bringing their math with them, but those are people who bothered to learn enough about the field to understand what had already been done, and who learned enough about biology to understand what made sense. There is just this neverending parade of people from those fields who think that we don't understand everything in biology because we're all idiots, rather than the fact that it's actually kind of hard and the data is super noisy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh one time a colleague did present a poster about sasquatch, but it was obviously a joke. He presented it while wearing a sasquatch costume, and a lot of it was written in first person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It was like ten years ago, the odds of it still existing somewhere are minimal. :-/