Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the very chart that inspired the creation of this thread, over in the politically-loaded maps thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Honestly you'd fit place, astronomy is land of units as idiotic as speed of light in feets per nanonsecond (roughly 1, by the way :v:).

That's just silly. Now excuse me while I open this 12-cubic-attoparsec can of Diet Coke.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

:words: Many reasons

But despite all that, the metric conversion in America is already partway done. Even the "casuals" are all using metric at least part-time. You'll need metric wrenches to work on your car. You buy soda in 2-liter bottles. In gym class you run the 100-meter dash. Drug users specify quantity in metric, from microgram to kilo, depending on the drug.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder how many people don't even know that their 2-liter bottles are in metric...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I have to say, it looks like "DEATH suffering disease bloodshed" has worked out pretty well for us.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Does American Politics exist in some sort of Age of Empires spinoff universe?

Yeah, pretty much.

The Iowa Caucuses are tonight, in which people vote for their candidate by standing in different corners of the room. The various camps will try to entice people in the "undecided" corner to come join them, often with songs or chants. In preparation, all of the presidential hopefuls have been hanging around Iowa for months, eating corn dogs and giving helicopter rides and buying up literally ALL the TV commercial slots to smear their opponents. This is how we choose a new president in America.

Join us :unsmigghh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

HardDisk posted:

Are you serious?

Oh, my dear sweet innocent child. This is just the first step in choosing the nominee for each party. The circus has barely even come to town yet. It's only going to get more bizarre from here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Wait, what? There are elections for public officials that are part of an internal party election not open to the public in general?

If you live in a town that's so solidly red that the Democrats don't even bother to run a candidate for a local office, then the Republican primary election is the only one that matters. To have a vote in that one, you might have to register as Republican, depending on the rules in your state. The general election still happens on Election Day, but there's not much point. The exact same situation happens in big cities, favoring the Democrats this time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pretty sure this is the part Tiggum was wondering about. As am I. What the gently caress?

Having the sheriff be elected directly is the system that gave us Joe Arpaio. If you don't know who that is, don't google him until you're ready to get really angry and really sad, simultaneously.

But since this the graph/chart thread, here's something to whet your appetite:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are there laws saying an elector should be a citizen of their state? Or even an American at all?

All I know is there's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

gently caress does anyone have the horrible meme picture where they have some data and draw 3 different projections that are all horrible. I think it had some meme dunce cap guy in it.

I can't seem to find it via google.

Found via an image search for "dunce graph", but I'd seen it before many times in the various make-fun-of-bitcoins threads.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Looks like SpaceX forgot to remove a placeholder element from this chart before showing it on the live stream during last night's launch...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Travis343 posted:

War. War never changes.

In the grim darkness of the far blogosphere, there is only war.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Speaking of politics, this handy chart was just posted in the GOP primary thread...

But I don't want to be authoritarian right. They're scary. :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

True but rockets that aren't the space shuttle have a launch escape system that carries the capsule full of humans far away from the exploding rocket.

Truth. Such a system has even been used once, and it saved the lives of two cosmonauts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_7K-ST_No._16L

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Byzantine posted:

The space shuttle had that too. Well, technically it was a jettison for the rockets/fuel tank, then the orbiter would glide away. But the incident happened too fast for that.

But that was only available after Solid Rocket Boosters burned out, about two minutes into the flight. If a separation was attempted while the SRB/ET stack was thrusting forward at several Gs, the orbiter would have "hung up" on the aft attachment points and started flipping backwards end-over-end, which is all kinds of bad news, especially at Mach 2.

But even if Challenger had (somehow) separated and stayed intact, there was nowhere to go. They would have been way out over the ocean, almost certainly without the energy to glide back to KSC, and a water landing was not considered survivable. Later on the engineers hacked in a way for the crew to bail out from a controlled glide and parachute down individually, but that capability didn't exist yet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

spog posted:

Wasn't there an 'abort' procedure that would have destroyed the early rockets, killing the crew, that was to be used if there was a danger of it crashing in a populated area?

And the guy on the ground who was tasked to press the button was never allowed to meet the astronauts, in case it affected his decision?

There are indeed such self-destruct systems, and for good reason, that the launch controllers can use to "terminate the flight".

If a launching Shuttle had ever gone veering out of control toward Cocoa Beach, the Range Safety Officer was the one with the responsibility to hit the button that would blow them out of the sky. But I think it was more of a customary thing than an absolute rule that said the RSO and the astronauts shouldn't really hang out together...

But we're getting a little off-topic for the thread -- for everyone interested, there's a very active spaceflight megathread for all this stuff:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Japan uses kilometres, so it could have been dictated by Nintendo. Or even just consistency for an app that's going to have to work worldwide.

I really doubt it was Nintendo pulling rank on them. Niantic also makes Ingress, a similar augmented-reality game (which turns out to have pretty much been just their development sandbox / long-term beta test for Pokemon) and it's always been in metric. It has been for years, even back when Niantic was part of Google.

I guess I'm just really used to using metric and Imperial interchangeably, because I've been playing Ingress for three years and never even consciously noticed that everything was given in meters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Now THIS is what this thread is all about. :psyduck:

Is this intentionally bad, like that bar graph of primary election dates by state? Or is this an actual gem of data presentation found in the wild?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Classic fascism: The enemy is both fully in charge of the world but also weak and idiotic. They have to be scary & own your poo poo and be dangerous, but also they have to be dumb enough that you can beat them with your aryan self.

That's not anything specific to fascism, that's just a plain old propaganda technique. There was plenty of it on all sides during World War II -- ever see the Donald Duck cartoon "Der Fuhrer's Face"? The Nazis are both threatening and buffoonish.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

From the spaceflight thread:

Pasco posted:

To scale

:ughh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

doverhog posted:

Why is "terrier" a category when there are at least 27 different terrier breeds?

Clearly the maker of the graph has an all-terrier motive.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Raul Pont R:evil:ution

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

We should be measuring fuel economy in units of force.

Fuel economy also works out to an area measurement, of all things. It sounds crazy until you think about it, but say you took the gas you burned on a trip and stretched it out into a tube that's the length of that trip. What's the cross-section of that tube? A gas-guzzler would need a thicker tube than an economy car, right? It turns out 20 miles per gallon equals a cross-section of 0.1 square millimeters.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/11/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pretty tame by Fox News standards, but I'm amused that the evangelicals add up to 109%.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Operations 0 and 1 are consistent enough, but then 2 doesn't fit the pattern they establish. I might have latched onto a spurious correlation which isn't the actual aaaaaagh I've been nerd sniped haven't I

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Nah, Subnormality is more wordy than that would probably not display the data as cleanly.

SMBC is less wordy than that, and wouldn't try to present the data directly, but only if it's doing a graph joke. If it's not doing a graph joke, it will be clearer than Subnormality, but a little too preachy until it reaches a weird semi-punchline.

Can you please express this information in the form of a graph or chart?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

According to the chart, he has to have at least one, because otherwise his bar would have had zero or negative height.

Does a negative height indicate bombs made out of antimatter?
Because if so, the fact that they're nuclear bombs at all is pretty much irrelevant to their destructive potential. An antivolkswagen would do as much damage as an antibomb. :science:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

So... something about the Federal Reserve, but I can't tell whether he's pro or anti. The Israeli flag makes me think it's some kind of anti-Zionist thing, but it's hard to say. And the picture of Trump only confuses things more, since I've seen no evidence that Trump even knows what the Federal Reserve is, let alone taken any policy positions on it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Someone tricked me into going to an MLM pitch and the waste of a few hours was almost worth it in retrospect just for the first-hand experience of seeing what an MLM sales pitch looks like.

The presenters did their best to preemptively turn you against your family and poison that well from the very beginning. "Your family will tell you it's a scam, it's a pyramid scheme, but they're just afraid to take a risk to build their own business. They want you to fail! Don't keep negative people in your life!"

Same here: they advertised for an open IT position, I called them and they invited me for an interview a few evenings later, an "interview" which turned out to be a Primerica pitch meeting to a dozen or so of us suckers who'd all fallen for the same trick.

But the presenters at this pitch were so BAD at it. They were presenting their little hearts out up there at the front of the room, trying to convince us that the road to wealth and success began with selling ripoff life insurance plans to our own families and friends. Since then I've read about the usual MLM pitch tactics, and they were trying several of them, but most of these they weren't doing right. I don't think anyone was buying it. Everyone there had come expecting a job interview, and instead had gotten... whatever the hell this was.

Imagine a room full of introverted highly-technical computer people being told they should be not just selling people insurance, but also selling people on the concept that THEY should be selling insurance, and in fact selling people on the concept that they should be selling... the concept of recruiting people to sell insurance. And then something something BOOM, mansion with a Ferrari parked out front! In hindsight I almost feel bad for the Primerica MLM folks, it was going so badly. I sat through it with a polite silence, silently fuming at what my "job opportunity" had turned out to be, and left as soon as it was possible to do so without making a scene. So I didn't see if anyone actually took them up on the opportunity to sign up. I doubt it. I do kind of wish I'd spoken up and challenged them on some of the more obvious bullshit, but hey, that's l'esprit de l'escalier for you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Mutations are progress.

The superman of tomorrow hates licorice, likes parsley, isn't lactose intolerant, and has no problems with gluten.

Yes, yes, but what about cilantro? Is he one of those people that thinks it tastes like soap?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

google should know better

:psyduck: A pie chart that adds up to 120%, whose slices don't even come close to corresponding with the given numbers, and which adds a totally undefined height factor. Even by bad graph standards, this one is impressive. Where on Earth did you find it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm Kaliningrad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Outrail posted:

Where were the respondents from?

Three guesses. :fsmug:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...d=tw-share&_r=0

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yeah, tabs for indenting, spaces for alignment. Unless the style guide says spaces for indenting. Never use tabs for alignment. Also vim 4 lyfe.

To make this post thread appropriate

I'm fairly neutral on the tabs-vs-spaces issue, but I have strong opinions on the placement of curly braces.

Allman 4 lyfe

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like that where it joins up is all blanks. So there was no reason the family tree HAD to involve incest because none of those characters exist so there was no canon to preserve. But it does anyway.

To be fair, if the common ancestor is seventeen generations back, that doesn't really seem like it'd count as incest anymore. Hell, I bet most of us in real life probably have an ancestor by more than one path that's fewer generations removed than that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Another fictional bottom-to-top family tree.

I didn't know there even WERE regular non-anthropomorphic ducks in this universe, let alone that one of them is Huey Dewey and Louie's father.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Leviathan Song posted:

That was the joke. The word "duck" could be more like primate in their world. Mallards and anthropomorphic ducks could be equivalent to monkeys and humans in our world.

God created Duck in His own image, six thousand years ago. Then a while later He killed all the sinful ducks with a great flood. (Exactly how water would have killed all the ducks is something of a mystery, since, you know, they're ducks. But there are some things Duck was not meant to know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008