Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Consist posted:

Some examples:

This is Laban notation for effort in movement and makes total sense if you study choreography.

I mean, without context it seems insane, but I have genuinely redrawn this exact diagram several times to explain concepts to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

No I get that there's a method/logic behind it, I just want an explanation because I personally do not understand it. I looked up Labanotation and found that it's a thing, but even after reading wikipedia and another introduction I am lost.

Since someone here gets it I'd love them to explain
(btw, it's an Animation Masters, not a PHD in Dance)

There's 3 axis of effort, which define the "space". This is a map of that space, as a 3D cube, with the extreme points marked.
By thinking in these 3 terms, you can keep the movement of a particular character consistent, and you can also think about how to make other characters stand in contrast to them.
Eg. if one character "glides" in general (making Sustained, Light but Direct movements) then the are doing things purposefully with little effort. By contrast you could make the opposing character act in a "slash" way (taking Quick, Heavy and Indirect actions) where they are using a lot of energy to do things in a more staccato and less focused way. I could easily see that being a scene about how one character is going about a task with ease and grace, and the other being frustrated and envious as they try to emulate it but fail and increasingly become more the OPPOSITE of the motions they are trying to copy.
That's a really coarse example, you can do more fine-grained things by also having just one axis be different. Using this cube to analyse and place stuff like that can be really useful.

I work in games now, but I continue to find it useful as a tool for just placing things. If you were doing weapons in something like Quake 3, you can analyse their projectiles in a similar way and put them in this space. There are places in that where weapons are fixed, like a Rocket Launcher is always going to be Direct, Sustained, Heavy sort of projectile. But what does an Ion Gun do? If you find empty space in your movement graph, then you might want it to visually sit in that space because it will then "feel" different to the other gun (rather than feeling like a reskin of it) and other players will be able to distinguish the different types of incoming fire easier.

Our eyes have like 10x as many receptors to movement than colour, particularly in the periphery, and yet people don't put as much weight in "movement coding" things as "colour coding" them. This is my "RGB" for when i'm trying to differentiate or make things similar. As an artist it's easy (if annoying) when people say "Can you make it more blue". When dealing with motion people tend to lack the vocabulary to discuss what they find wrong, and I find that graph helpful to discussion.

MissMarple has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Oct 29, 2015

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

I'm mostly just upset that the scale is $/m and not m/$ because clearly the author wanted to show video games as the big winners.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

From an annual report of a pretty major company (50k+ employees).

I'm sure this could be explained somehow. If anyone ITT can do that, I'd be grateful.
It’s a fairly normal way of breaking down the difference between two years. Overall; 2019 is better than 2018 (blue bars). The first 3 regions are down Year on Year (percentage change for each region shown). The latter two are up Year on Year by a significant amount. The whole thing is kinda of like a “staircase”. Red is a step down, Green a step up. That’s why each “step” starts from where the previous one ends, it’s showing the overall cumulative effect.

These are useful because you might see overall YoY of +/-0%, but with the breakdown it’s because of growth in one area cancelling out shrinkage in another.

As for the reporting, I’d guess this was guidance or estimates from before the start of the year.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but why do Europe and Latin America comprise a region?
Its divisions within the company. For whatever reason those regions make sense to operate as a business unit. Maybe they share some part of the supply chain. Maybe it’s the “everything else” group. But Bob is Sales Manager for North America, and Dave is Sales Manager for Europe and Latin America.