Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

But they do graphically illustrate what the text says. If you don't know what vertical or horizontal mean, the arrows show you. That's a good graphic. What do the arrows at 45 degrees show you next to the range of the aircraft? Nothing.

It can move up to 772 spaces diagonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is that supposed to be a log scale?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm just giggling at "high support".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Bar graph where the bars are triangles and the data is the height so a small increase in height results in a large increase in area, which is irrelevant, but makes the data feel bigger.

For an even more advanced technique, use pyramids.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

“Windows 10” I don’t really mind.

Skipping version numbers is mostly harmless. Repeating them is not.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
All the really cutting edge stuff was still pretty close to the border. I guess you can't really get highly qualified professionals and universities to move to bumfuck nowhere just in case there's an invasion.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Mr. Belpit posted:

Giving directions in time rather than physical distance is the norm pretty much everywhere and I'm not sure why so many people think that's unique to their area (or to themselves, even).

I've had distances described to me in money in Russia.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

I'm the Anti-Fascist Fascists.

Didn't you know that the people telling you that you can't be a fascist are the real fascists?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like a perfectly reasonable and honest graph.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like the guy who drew the Pizza Hut logo instead of Domino's.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

I think the accuracy scale there is shape/form on the horizontal, color on the vertical? Could stand to be labeled, though.

I appreciate how the absolute top left corner is actually done with some decent artistic concepts, just totally incorrect for the challenge, and then the third down in the first column is just... a lump.

EDIT: The person who just drew a shoe for Adidas is my new hero, in tight competition with the people who tried to draw literal kings for Burger King

Accuracy increases left to right, then wraps around to the next line.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
MRA doesn't know anything and doesn't care, checks out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm the democracy under "failed government".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Seems about right for Pearson, that company is a shitshow from top to bottom.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

Homegrown entry: I tried to plot a phylogeny with a poor choice of font size and opened a door to another dimension.

New Stargate text adventure looking good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There's a bitcoin/real estate expo in town, and squawkfox has the data you crave.

I don't know about you, but I am well on my way to wealth.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God help me but I easily comprehended this chart.

Please explain why there are three cyberspace bars emerging from the physical dimension.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Let's add extra dimensions to the graph for no reason because why not.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

It Came From C-SPAM:

What's the width supposed to represent? Why is the UK larger than the USSR?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I really hate NPS. I’ve seen it do a lot of damage to companies, teams, and people, and earlier in my career I was complicit in managing to NPS as a metric I didn’t take the time to look at critically. I am trying to atone. I have multiple researchers in my division working on better ways to track word-of-mouth impact because I don’t want NPS to surface in our product even though our customers use it themselves and ask about it.

Yes, NPS is quite limited in telling you about many important changes in the underlying data, so it’s not really that useful in tracking changes over time in an actionable way!

My company just adopted NPS, gently caress.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
In order to be an unambiguous as possible, I always start my dates with AD.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wasn't there also a big thing about various people in charge of making the designs were jockeying for political favour, so they'd throw their weight around by demanding specific widgets get added, because their rival also had something added and they can't be outdone?

The biggest argument against "the efficiency of fascism" is the Nazi regime.

Yeah, the MAN Panther prototype had a waterproof engine compartment that no one asked for, for instance.

The inefficiency went both ways. British analysis of the PzIV concluded that someone from the ball bearings industry was handing out kickbacks, since there is no way that the tank needed so many ball bearings.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Phy posted:

I don't believe the puppetmaster excuse when it's people getting probed for trolling, why on earth would I believe it about Nazis building another cyclopean overengineered tank

E: Where's the milhist thread, I want to read about how Nazi uniforms were as overblown as the rest of their equipment

Hilariously enough, Krupp actually backstabbed Grotte to develop their own enormous impossible land battleship, so I highly doubt it was a con.

Also I thought this was the military history thread, oops. Enjoy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like how Volkswagen took a catastrophic nosedive from 3% all the way down to 3%

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Tree Goat posted:

i default to usted/vous/Sie because i would a) rather be considered aloof or overformal than rude b) it correctly communicates in a concise Gricean sense that i am clueless and have only been exposed to the language in question through archaic or academic means and will need to be guided through this practical conversation like mr magoo through a construction site

The one time I ended up in a situation where this mattered one coworker told me to stop immediately because it made him feel old, another admitted that he assumed I was talking about a group of people rather than him personally.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I want to print a run of thin blue line flags with the stripes a brown-based black and the canton an indigo black

Because it's the only way I can think of to make that poo poo any uglier in my eyes

Here's a good way to make it uglier:

No, it doesn't make any sense. Yes, our cops still wear it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

As if we're restricting ourselves to decimal like cavemen

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

jjack229 posted:

Why would they compare a four year sum against a twelve year sum?

If you zoom out it looks like :911:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

North of Toronto there appears to be a relatively hog-free rectangular refuge. Same in north western Mexico.

Even hogs don't go north of Bloor.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

VictualSquid posted:

Manual for a flashlight

This is just a Finite State Machine with a Batman logo on it :shrug:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

My "favourite" is when you have more buttons for less options.
First clothes dryer: Dial with minutes on it and a button for "hot" and "less hot". Want to add time? Turn the time knob. Want to change the hot? Press the hot button.
Second clothes dryer: Use these six buttons to navigate menus on the built in LED screen to select a number of preset drying options, none of which actually get your clothes dry.
Dryer we got after returning the previous dryer: Time dial + hot button.

PYF yelling at cloud

My favorite oven just had two knobs: one for the temperature, one for the timer. Every oven I've had since then has these awful pseudo touchscreen buttons that take forever to set the temperature or time with.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I secretly miss the little slideout keyboard on one of my older phones. Duck swiftkey

Same but not secretly. Shame that no one makes phones with physical keys anymore.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

Bluetooth everything everywhere and offload it to smartphone apps and voice control

Doorknobs are for pansies and why the gently caress do I have to push a button at all

My Osmo Action had an app for configuration (even though the device itself has a full touch screen, go figure) that stopped working when I updated my Android phone. As an added bonus, I couldn't use the camera at all until I downloaded their app and made an account (even though it does absolutely nothing and doesn't pair with your phone as a part of normal operation). Smartphone apps to do things the device ought to do on its own are a terrible idea since they introduce a pretty significant point of failure.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I thought the joke was that it sounds like "erected".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like how tanks have a different lethality than cannons, machine guns, and guided missiles. I guess this hypothetical tank fires its main gun while driving over people at the same time?

The timeline alone is wild. Development of rifled artillery seems to have stopped before the invention of the tank, I guess the author considers the Mle. 1897 to be the pinnacle of that particular family.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Hopefully that data course teaches about data visualization (just kidding, it's probably about blindgly shoving datasets into an ML model)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Adhemar posted:

The egg doesn’t start at zero, try again.

Egg prices clearly dropped from $1.50 to 50 cents between January and June before rising to both $1.25 and $4.25 in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

I just thought this was neat

What happened to Two and a Half Men for such a sudden nosedive?