Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Crust First posted:

I uh, this seems like a not great chart to me but what do I know.

It's from wikipedia and the previous 5 revisions don't seem much better.
I like that they went the extra mile and inverted the legend, because it wasn't already hard enough to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Picnic Princess posted:

How do you typically serve such a dish
Weave the bacon into a bowl, bake it to make firm, fill with mayonnaise, garnish with sorrow

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Made this one myself by accident just now

the data itself doesn't matter since it's dummy data I'm using to learn the viz tool, but I lol'd irl when I put data on a second y-axis and this happened
The data is shy! :3:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

steinrokkan posted:

- the icons don't mean anything

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Red Metal posted:

they only listed 24 countries
They're probably counting Belgium, which is mentioned as planning to take action but hasn't announced it yet.

I liked New Zealand saying they'd expel a Russian diplomat if they had any.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Huh. Learned a new term today.

Moneyness posted:

In finance, moneyness is the relative position of the current price (or future price) of an underlying asset (e.g., a stock) with respect to the strike price of a derivative, most commonly a call option or a put option.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Goon Danton posted:

They misunderstood the Trolley Problem and just keep hammering the "kill one person" button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQ-LZYAMBQ

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Polar-ish coordinates with the zero radial distance being 40 years. 72 is over double the radial distance of 52; this graph sucks in basically every way.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
DMYDYYMY

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Platystemon posted:

The GOP supports a minimum wage of twenty‐five dollars per hour now?
The chart sucks rear end but the federal minimum wage in 1970 was $1.60 (~$10.61 in 2019 dollars), not $3.22 (~$21.35). It's not comparing minimum wage, it's comparing the "average wage," and it matches the value here for private industry (but who knows where they actually sourced it). Median weekly earnings of full time employees in 2019 was $919/wk in Q3 2019 or $22.96/hr, assuming 40hr/wk (which is a rash assumption) (source).

The prices for goods are wonky and misleading but the salaries are entirely unsourced and entirely unexplained so it's just an absolutely dogshit chart.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Jan 3, 2020

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I don't understand how that happens by mistake or why it would happen on purpose. That y-axis is hosed beyond belief and I don't know how someone would even do that. The overall trend is basically the same compared to a normal graph, so it's not like there's really any deception happening. Baffling.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'd never heard the phrase "alligator tears" over "crocodile tears" and when I heard it in You should be sad by Halsey, I googled it to see yeah, some people use it. Then, since I was curious, I looked to see if anyone else did something similar:

At risk of drawing a causative relationship where there isn't one, the song did come out on January 10th (and then the album was released the 17th).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Angepain posted:

I'm putting this in a spoiler because it makes me actually queasy to look at this for more than a few seconds at a time. my eyes

(from this article about coronavirus on cruise ships)
I feel like this should inflict something like the McCollough effect.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
YYYY-MM-DD also means that things sort by date with a simple alphanumeric sort which is nice

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Base ∞ is the optimal base because you can represent all real numbers with a single digit. Very efficient.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are there fad diets that push acidic diets? I think I've only seen alkaline/basic woo diets.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Powered Descent posted:

e: CORRECTION: 22.64%, there are two "Malfoy" names on there and I accidentally thought I recognized both of them as "antagonist kid from Evil House". Not certain, but guessing the kid is the one with way more graph connections and the other is a relation? Whatever, I declare this still counts as 1 out of 2 in the recognition tally.
Lucius is Draco's dad.

e: the only reason I even recognize the name Hannah Abbott is because she shows up in a Harry Potter / D&D crossover fanfic that was more entertaining than Harry Potter and is the only fanfic I've actually read

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 28, 2020

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If you insist...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Picnic Princess posted:

This page is a bummer
maybe this will help
https://twitter.com/PossumEveryHour/status/1461982662353108995
look at this adorable possum

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Piell posted:

Pretty sure its fake, everyone that is posting it has the exact same 40 minutes screenshot

mobby_6kl posted:

I think I saw her actual tweet in the GBS thread yesterday, so I'd go with real
Some googling pulls it up in the google cache, so it seems legit:

SA doesn't seem to want to hyperlink it so just copy/paste this:
code:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MeKG2yleaC8J:https://mobile.twitter.com/qdominique+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Jul 5, 2022

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/SeriFeliciano/status/1597355324008108034

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Fix It posted:

some rather tragic math there
Could be 17 sets of triplets, but maybe that's just a different kind of tragic.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I can't tell if I think it would be better or worse if they put the ratio (duration per page or pages per minute) on the other axis.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh lol, I'd forgotten that @junkscience was not a satirical account posting examples of idiotic science takes but was, in fact, making the idiotic science takes themselves :dumbbravo:
Are they knowingly disingenuous or really, truly this stupid? I got Poe’s Law’d pretty hard on this one.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It looks to be a self-reported survey of followers of an arbitrary person’s instagram account with no info on overall or per-state response counts so it’s not something I’d really think too hard about

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I drive a car in the Camry/CR-V range and you should require a special license to drive above that. Like you need 3+ children to get a minivan and those children need to be 200lbs+ to get an SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

credburn posted:

Chun-Li... from Fortnite :confused:

Is Cammy the trans character?
There’s probably a ton of people who have only seen her from the Fortnite crossover, honestly. Crazy how many IPs are present in Fortnite at this point.

No, I think that’s Poison.