Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be clear, I was suggesting that you have owned Dr. EvoCaliper by actually looking into the reference.

Turns out he gets to keep his six figure job spewing hate from a major publication no matter how many times he's wrong. So I guess I am the one who's owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:smith:

Although... Quillette? Major? I don't know about that.

1.7 million hits per month isn't huge but it's more than a race bait rag deserves by about 6 orders of magnitude.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Some twitter comment said "Data science is when you put a line through dots, the more dots you put the line through, the more data science it is"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Brawnfire posted:

Someone needs to tell me where Funko Pops fall on that scale

Buildings have basements

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Paladinus posted:

Freemasonry was created by actual masons. While there's an obvious elitist streak to it, in Northern parts of England, many lodges are still considerably working class.

Literal free masons were pretty much like, the earliest reasonable definition of a working middle class.

Not serfs, but not profiting off the labor of others. They got special designation under law to travel and work for who they wanted.

Unions.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Elviscat posted:

This is true, they very much literally controlled the means of production, and used it to bring Monarchs to heel.

Wasn't the modern interpretation basically founded as a boys club for the bourgeoisie though?

Subjective. The only American Mason™ I know is a frequently unemployed, struggling, but nice person born to not-at-all-rich parents.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

hooman posted:

Things I do: High brow and sophisticated.
Things you do: Dumb poo poo for babbies.

I mean that's usually true for most people , but I loving post online

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Red Bones posted:

Where does organised religion land on the chart :smug:

Somewhere next to "democracy works" and "I have a good relationship with my boss"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Mattress Firm?

Do I really want to know about a conspiracy regarding a mattress retailer?

What I heard is they were a cover for money laundering. You'd get a franchise, buy a couple dozen of the most overpriced mattresses, and then resell them on the cheap, keeping the profit on the franchise side as clean money. Easy way to convert a few k of drug money into not drug money.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Sighence posted:

"Thinking a bad chart with just a bunch of names of conspiracies will help teach people how to think critically" conspicuously absent from the red tier.

Thinking too critically can make you get a bit conspiratorial too, though.

Really, trying to apply "What's the simplest plausible explanation for why things are the way they are that doesn't contradict available evidence" doesn't really help you get out of conspiracyville very well anymore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Subjunctive posted:

Importantly, I think it’s the gross and not the profit (loss, often) that is being kept as clean money.

That doesn't make sense. You can't magically make rent for the location or wages go away because you're a criminal. Or the costs of stock from the vendor.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Subjunctive posted:

You can because you lose money as a trade for cleaning it. You eat the fixed costs, and on each item sold you lose dirty money, but the gross you take in is clean so you keep it.

If you buy a mattress for $1000 and sell it for $400, you have spent $1000 dirty to get $400 clean, but you didn’t make a profit.

Oh you misunderstand. They ran the STORE. The franchises are cheap to buy, so you get the drug money in. All the profit of selling the mattress to yourself. And the money from selling the mattress again.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

BonHair posted:

ITT goons suck at laundering money.

I think a major part of laundering money is having a plausible reason for getting large amounts of cash, and preferably some kind of product that makes comparing income to inventory hard. This makes actual cleaners a pretty good choice. But it's also why Copenhagen had a lot of candy stores pop up a few years ago. Paying in cash, and selling by weight with a lot of waste is good for money laundering.
Mattresses seem like a really bad front on the other hand.

I don't follow the logic.

Mattresses are big ticket items that are hard to track past sale, but are still cheap enough to plausibly be bought with cash, and have huge profit margins at the high end.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

OwlFancier posted:

The version I heard was using the electronic roulette terminals in betting shops, you put like £20 on both red and black, and you're almost guaranteed to win it back and now you have a receipt saying you won the money on the betting machine.

It's very smart to go to a place the feds know is used for money laundering and has cameras everywhere to drop your marked bills. No back fire there.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zereth posted:

Who was talking about marked bills?

Feds run stings where they just buy product with marked bills so they can ID higher ups.

That's why you launder drug money. So you can get the dirty bills out of your hands and into someone elses' before it heads to a bank or somewhere they scan the cash.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Here's an unreadable graphic you find if you google image search "Money laundering graph"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think this deserves a little leeway because it's not a graphic in the sense of an infographic created by a designer. It's a mathematical "graph" and the programs that generate these don't always do a good job of untangling them, and sometimes it's not possible to untangle them.

Someone still chose to publish it as is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

That might be the best you can get for that graph. It's not something that's ever going to look good.

We appear to be having an argument on the internet, let me consult my flow chart for this situation

Pedantic rear end in a top hat.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Other than being a bit "graph design is my passion"y what's wrong with this graph?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cichlidae posted:

It's typical marketing stuff, with axes with no numbering, a vague blob for the product they're selling vs. tightly defined squares for literally every other computer on the market, and the vague definition of the axes.

Imagine the same graph, but replace "power consumption" with "fuel consumption", "Macs with Apple silicon" with "BMW," "Notebooks" with "Hybrids," and "Desktops" with "Sports cars". The intended message is relatively clear, but it's nothing more than vague marketing drivel, and the vagueness means it's probably completely made up.

Oh I didn't even understand the fact that the blue area was supposed to mean something.

I thought it was macbook notebooks and macbook desktops and their relative CPU/power usage to each other.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
It's mangraph, you read it right to left

Edit: like manga the graph is made for a bunch of pedophiles, specifically the Tory leadership

ikanreed has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Oct 16, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

It's not an unsound idea, other than trying to make the stupid, idiot, moron, dumbshit, awful, stupid, horseshoe stick together by linking "anti-imperialist" and "fascist"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Count Roland posted:

I hate garbage like this. At least the cowards should include other tumultuous eras, like the late 60s or the first Red Scare. Surely the graph would show some action there too, right?

The actual paper has better graphs that show how noisy the data is.

If anything it shows there aren't enough riots

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

Canada's got 1/10the population and cases are only split by province in can, vs county in the states. But yeah, even if they granularized it it'd still be pretty Woah.

It'd be far better to show cases per capita

The non coastal areas of the us that border Canada aren't exactly rife with millions

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Powered Descent posted:

The Detroit area has a population of something like 3 or 4 million, and Buffalo adds another million on top of that. Are you perhaps including the Great Lakes area in "coastal"?

Yes. I'm referring to the fact that that map showed piles of cases in like... North Dakota

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I was kinda expecting that. Flu, while having animal reservoirs, is almost entirely person to person.

Imagine if they could do regionally targeted flu shots and not have flu seasons ever anymore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

There are people working on a universal flu vaccine. It's not going to come to market any time soon, but the long-term outlook is good.

From the paper's I've read, the trick of it is the efficacy of these vaccines are lower. The typical annual anticipatory Flu vaccine varies in effectiveness between 40-75% reduction in risk of transmission depending on how well it matches the strains that occur. The universal ones so far seem to be about 25-30% or so. The advantage is that you can get very widespread coverage without the need for annual boosters. It's not clear how much herd immunity benefit universal 25% resistance would provide, given the virulence of the flu, and how it compares to sporadic, but higher resistance.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Lockdown from mid-November every year, start partying mid-December once everyone's probably safe.

I'm still waiting for the climate change-sourced novel tropical diseases that are coming in the next couple decades.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

I haven't been following it all that closely. Have you seen any discussion on possible approaches for boosting the effectiveness? Or is it just a debate on whether 25-30% efficacy is enough?

Well, I'm pretty sure you can combine the seasonal and permanent vaccines, at least. The reason that the flu is so resistant to inoculation is that it has an outer shell that is mostly non-functional that very likely becomes the target of your immune system's adaptations. And then it can mutate that part almost entirely randomly and still be infectious, but no longer be recognized as threat.

The universal vaccines came about as scientists worked to find a way to isolate the exposed functional parts of the flu virus as independent compounds, that you can inject people with and their immune system has no other part to adapt to. And those structural parts do not mutate nearly as easily, as they're vital to the process of the virus attacking cells. They make up a smaller part of the surface area of the virus than the repeated proteins on the outer shell, hence the lower efficacy(fewer chances for PRRs to match and trigger a immune response, fewer places for antibodies to latch onto and stop the virus), but they work for every strain.

It's possible there's ways to be clever about that, but I'm not an immunologist, I just like reading papers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What are the units on either axis?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_per_watt

I can't guarantee it's that, but that is an industry standard concept. In particular, it's used for highly scalable computing, like datacenters, and it makes a kind of sense for GPUs too.

I hate the absence of real data, the potentially dishonest benchmarks, the stupid "You don't need to know things" apple minimalist design.

But it's pretty easy to intuit the units.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Units? way of measuring?

All paltry concerns before the might of Graph

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

flatluigi posted:

gotta make sure everyone knows Both Sides Are The Same

They're not the same. Look at this very informative chart!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Sentient Data posted:

Is that just measuring taking points or actually implemented/introduced legislation?

Literally just implied tone of words on the dems' website, treating it as analogous to a manifesto. If you dig in, their bubble is sitting next to one of those western european nazi-but-not-named-nazi parties.

The analysis that produced it was absolute dogshit from top to bottom and anyone who believes an unlabeled graph of subjective values is a brainless moron.

They just assign a numeric category to every single sentence, and weight those categories according to how left or right they think it is.

For example they deem the full phrase "Under President Obama’s leadership," as a phrase that indicates 305.1 Political Authority: Party Competence a category which they assign a slight left leaning value.

Note that they do this in spite of the fact that 305.2 Political Authority: Personal Competence exists, because that assigns a slight right leaning value, and they needed to game the system to fool people like ultrafilter.

It's beyond worthless, and you should feel very self-satisfied that you suspected it.

Edit: Seriously check out the categories they assign things: https://visuals.manifesto-project.wzb.eu/mpdb-shiny/cmp_dashboard_corpus_doc/(You can't link to specific documents because javascript ruins websites, just look up anything related to dems, it's garbage analysis even within the bunk framework of believing what they say in their platform)

ikanreed has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Dec 4, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Eiba posted:

If it measures stated policies.

It measures literally every sentence regardless of whether it makes any policy statements.

"America is a beautiful country" would be assigned a "nationalism" category, or maybe an environmentalism category, because the assignment is entirely up to the whims of their judges

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The ship has a new hat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

That's a pretty bad graph.

And yeah, the ethical assumption that goes into that paradox is that "More people who are happy are better than fewer people" which is a dubious utility function.

I've been increasingly a deontologist, and that's just the lamest, most purely hypothetical kind of objection to utilitarianism. If that's the level real ethical philosophy is operating on, we're loving doomed.

While we're on the subject, utility monsters are also a dumb concept, as it treats utility as an unbounded function with an infinite maximum, which is just completely at odds with human experience of happiness, satisfaction, freedom, whatever measure of utility you want.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

OwlFancier posted:

Are we? You can do it consequentially as well. Deontologist/consequentialist seems entirely a matter of whether you update your model based on the results or not.

The literal opposite interpretation of the same idea is what led me to think of myself as a deontologist. Namely that consequentialism takes on a fantastically egotistical perspective that you can predict the future, and a good set of life rules to follow should be informed by the kinds of predictable patterns you can foresee.

I'm never going to know if today's the day I accidentally hit someone with my car. But I know very clearly that speeding and not using my signal puts people at risk.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

The manager is a dumbass but the engineer agreed to help him but couldn't, and smugly wasted his time with petty point scoring instead. Engineer is a dick.

It's exactly the information the manager would need to radio in a pick-up in the pre cell phone era.

The name of the back country farm you're plopped in would be comparibly useless.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Failing to acknowledge gold is named after my posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

They always omit the center in these things.

"It's not universal injustice, it's just how the world works"