Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

twoday posted:

I'm circled triangle

How do people even come up with this? Are they using a program that lets them easily combine different metrics and visualization techniques into single images? This is the visual data equivalent of amateur jazz improv.

This is a pretty simple network visualization that only shows connections to one node (and doesn't show the edges, obviously). The size of the other nodes implies some information about the rest of the network. It's not that bad but the excessive labeling and description makes it seem far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

That is nothing. Guy of Tuscany had two gay remarriages and gave birth by himself but of course it was Marozia who got the bad reputation.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I was disappointed when there was no chart of his favorite food rankings (apparently sushi but definitely not kimchi) or illustration of the social dynamics of cocktail parties.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

That defense is somehow worse than the chart. "You only need to look through Amazon.com and various films to see that my use of 'Dark Ages' is accurate. Historians have no right to say it is wrong!"

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

catfry posted:

My biggest gripe is, what is gained by showing this data in a diagram that can't be done with a simple list? Literally no extra info in the right hand side.
I guess if you have trouble with figuring out which number is bigger you can look at the thickness of the lines.

Being able to post it on r/dataisbeautiful, which is currently enamored with that style of diagram, especially if they can make it utterly useless as a way of conveying information.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Incoming politically-loaded infographic:

I'm the moral upbringing being instilled by the leftist parents, even though an inch above that we're explicitly told that leftists base community on ethics instead of morals, whatever they mean by that.

Oh, and I'm also the 91% of rightists that are in favor of war. Just, you know, "war" in general. If there's a war on somewhere, I think that's great!

Both left and right agree on FReeDOM, eQUALITY, and ReLIGION but disagree on HOMELESS/HOMeLeSS and SOCIETY/SOCIeTY.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Among other things, I am fond of the insane way in which inconclusive battles, Pyrrhic victories, and victories in minor battles are not only counted as positive but are often more positive than decisive victories against superior forces.

E: Napoleon really padded his stats with some garbage time victories in the War of the Sixth Coalition.

King Hong Kong has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Oct 18, 2019

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Someone needs to tell me where Funko Pops fall on that scale

Clothes: Printed T-Shirt
Furniture: Gaming Chair
Useful Objects: Tacticool Gear
Entertainment: Anime
Salads: Flamin’ Hot Cheetos
Drinks: Mountain Dew
Reading: reddit.com
Sculpture: Funko Pop
Records: Soundtracks
Games: lol
Causes: Ethics in Games Journalism

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Spanish orthography used “ç” into the seventeenth century and the name of it comes from Spanish.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

There are a lot of totally inexplicable enclaves in that GIS data unless mail is getting delivered via crop dusters.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

The amount of Oregon covered as “progressive” is…generous.

I don’t think people realize that if you go more than 15 miles outside of the I-5 corridor, it gets awfully red (well, other than Bend anyway, but it’s just full of Californians and rich city folk).

That and the “not desert” is amusing.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Places commonly described as “desert”: Los Angeles, which gets fifteen inches of rain per year.

Places not commonly described as “desert”:

To reinforce the point:

I'm reminded of a YouTube "geography" video I saw pop up that completely ignored the geography of most of the state.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, it'd get in the way of a nice line, just like their failure to carve out Pennsyltucky and just put two blue dots for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, right?

It’s worse because there is still actually a line in general if you don’t mind including steppe, it just needs to bend to include northeastern California, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington by following the Cascades.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Absolutely no political stress whatsoever in the decades following the american revolution.

That first graph looks like it would have been displayed on the Fox News of 1861 as a secessionist talking point: “The country can’t handle Lincoln’s tyranny! This has nothing to do with slavery, a tranquil and orderly institution!”

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, I thought that was only utah.

Not spent a lot of time with Baptists? Don’t blame you.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Count Roland posted:

poo poo like this really erodes my confidence in the "softer" sciences. I've spoken with biologists that happily put their small samples into a statistical black box that yielded "results" with absolutely no understanding of the process. Charts like the above are just insulting. I hope this poo poo isn't as widespread as it seems.

Since when is biology a “soft science”?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Aside from Never Forget Georg, why is there such marked seasonal variation in the muder rate?

The increased rates of certain crimes (like assault) in summer is pretty well established, although I’m not sure there is also a definitively established reason. It would make some sense that people have more interactions with each other when it is warmer and that, as a result, there are more assaults.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

There are some really bad new traffic circles in the US that I’ve encountered that have lanes (with minimal signage) that require you to turn at the next street rather than a later street. In one case, I accidentally did that and there was no route back except driving 5 miles out of the way, which was even worse because it was a super low-density area where the traffic could not possibly have justified a dedicated turn lane like that.

Some other traffic circles are just really poorly engineered. There was a new one on a state highway where the speed limit is usually 60 miles an hour but the curve on the traffic circle was such that trucks had to take it at less than 10 miles an hour.

If the traffic circles were more like European ones, it would be great.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I’m the (1) break in the X-axis for centuries where data on interest rates definitely exists, (2) the weirdly precise marks within the break in the axis, (3) the totally incorrect data underlying those marks (lol at a 4% interest rate on a short-term loan before the eighteenth century).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

“Outrigger” joining the “r” and the “i” together getting dangerously close to an “n.”